Whats The Biggest US Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rose Bowl sent out an email saying they were expecting over 96,000.

As they put it:

Attendance for this event will be over 96,000 people, the largest concert crowd in the venue's history.

Yes, I just got that email as well.

Made me excited for the show : )

I'm definitely glad I spent the extra money to get a hotel room near the venue though.

*also, it was funny that they were basically telling people DON'T DRIVE TO THE ROSE BOWL, IT WILL SUCK. haha.

The Rose Bowl sent out an email saying they were expecting over 96,000.

As they put it:

WOW, that is huge. Looks like The Rose Bowl is going to beat the FEDEX Field show. The Rose Bowl show is soldout except for a few single seats. FEDEX FIELD still has some $30 dollar tickets left on the top section of the stadium.

Well, 96,000+ should be a new record in North America for a non-festival ticketed concert.

Again, the old record is the WHO at JFK Stadium September 25, 1982 with 91,451 in attendance.

let's see if they play at Maracana in Rio de Janeiro

Current capacity of Maracana in Rio is 88,992 for a sporting event, but with the field, they may be able to add another 15,000. There are some seats in the stadium that are blocked off by the stage and mixing desk so the capacity would be lower than 104,000. Probably the maximum possible would be about 100,000.

U2 are probably going to play the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City which has a capacity of 105,000 for sporting events, and could probably fit about 115,000 people for a 360 concert.

The MCG in Melbourne Australia could probably fit about 110,000 since it has a seating capacity for sports events of 100,012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_by_capacity

The MCG in Melbourne Australia could probably fit about 110,000 since it has a seating capacity for sports events of 100,012.

They'll probably play Etihad Stadium rather than the MCG though. Etihad is a more popular venue for concerts and - generally speaking - has better acoustics.

They'll probably play Etihad Stadium rather than the MCG though. Etihad is a more popular venue for concerts and - generally speaking - has better acoustics.

If they only play one show in Melbourne, then I think it will be at the MCG. Etihad Stadium only has 56,000 seats.

If they only play one show in Melbourne, then I think it will be at the MCG. Etihad Stadium only has 56,000 seats.

Etihad (then the Telstra Dome) hosted Vertigo. They'll probably do two there again, as the demand exists. They could sell out 2 gigs at Etihad in the 360 arrangement, while there's only about enough demand to justify 1.5 shows at the MCG; i.e. demand is sufficient that one MCG show would not be enough, but the stadium would be half-empty for the second.

In any case, speaking as somebody who actually lives in Melbourne, most major acts are now playing Etihad. Sound Relief was at the G earlier this year, but I can't think of any other major concerts held there in preference to Etihad.

Etihad (then the Telstra Dome) hosted Vertigo. They'll probably do two there again, as the demand exists. They could sell out 2 gigs at Etihad in the 360 arrangement, while there's only about enough demand to justify 1.5 shows at the MCG; i.e. demand is sufficient that one MCG show would not be enough, but the stadium would be half-empty for the second.

In any case, speaking as somebody who actually lives in Melbourne, most major acts are now playing Etihad. Sound Relief was at the G earlier this year, but I can't think of any other major concerts held there in preference to Etihad.

It will only be 4 years since they were last in Australia in stadiums. On Vertigo it was nearly 9 years since they had played at all in Australia. So, I'm thinking demand will not be as high this time around and the band will settle for 5 shows, one each in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth. I think they could fill the MCG, but they might not completely sell it out.

Demand this time around in the UK seemed to be a little lighter than the Vertigo tour, at least in Scotland, Wales, and northern England. This was probably do to the economy. Australia might be similar in 2010.

It will only be 4 years since they were last in Australia in stadiums. On Vertigo it was nearly 9 years since they had played at all in Australia. So, I'm thinking demand will not be as high this time around and the band will settle for 5 shows, one each in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth. I think they could fill the MCG, but they might not completely sell it out.

Demand this time around in the UK seemed to be a little lighter than the Vertigo tour, at least in Scotland, Wales, and northern England. This was probably do to the economy. Australia might be similar in 2010.
you could make a similar demand argument about the us, but we're seeing packed stadiums - and people in australia/nz are more used to stadium shows.

besides, neither the australian or new zealand economies have been hit as hard as europe and the us.

this show is going to be insane. I can't believe this is the only stop in the state of California this year

my GF is an exec at live nation and I've been bombarded by news regarding how huge this show will be. I hope it's not too much of a clusterf*&K

you could make a similar demand argument about the us, but we're seeing packed stadiums - and people in australia/nz are more used to stadium shows.

besides, neither the australian or new zealand economies have been hit as hard as europe and the us.

True, but the United States/Canada were underplayed in some area's on the Vertigo Tour since that leg of the tour was in smaller basketball arena's, rather than stadiums. So that might be helping a little bit in the USA on 360.

i just personally don't think the argument holds true overall - four, five years is a very long time. can you imagine many people deciding not to see u2 because they saw them four years ago, and that was recent enough in their minds? it just doesn't make sense to me that enough people would have that thought process to impact upon tour planning.

This is completely wrong.

Demand remains strong for stadium concerts in Australia in general (indeed, the market at the moment is perhaps strongest it has been all decade), and demand for U2 specifically is little changed from 2006. A lot of people missed out then too; there was almost demand for a third Melbourne show, and second shows in Adelaide and Brisbane. Also keep in mind also that some people were only able to go because some others had to return tickets due to the date changes.

To reveal my hand a little, negotiations as far as I know have focused on 2 shows in Sydney at ANZ Stadium (same venue as last time, then known as Telstra Stadium) and 2 shows in Melbourne at Etihad. I do not know of any discussions regarding shows at the G; Etihad is the preferred venue if they can get it. I do not know what is happening for Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth, but the 360 set-up will probably eliminate any need for second shows in Brisbane and Adelaide. As I predicted earlier this year, there won't be a third show in Sydney this time due to the heightened capacity of 360.

And there's definitely confidence in the New Zealand market, as negotiations have specifically focused on two shows there, both of which will be much higher capacity than in 2006.

i just personally don't think the argument holds true overall - four, five years is a very long time. can you imagine many people deciding not to see u2 because they saw them four years ago, and that was recent enough in their minds? it just doesn't make sense to me that enough people would have that thought process to impact upon tour planning.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but this is what attendance was like in Australia the last time U2 only took 4 years to return there:

86. Perth February 17, 1998 Burswood Dome GROSS: $1,273,178 ATTENDANCE: 13,775

87. Melbourne February 21, 1998 Waverly Park GROSS: $1,366,510 ATTENDANCE: 23,810

88. Brisbane February 25, 1998 ANZ Stadium GROSS: $1,019,744 ATTENDANCE: 17,567

89. Sydney February 28, 1998 Football Ground GROSS: $2,236,123 ATTENDANCE: 37,976

Now obviously this probably had more to do with the POP album than anything, but it only being 4 years since the previous stadium tour may have effected things. I agree that four years is a long time, but then again Australia is a small country relative to the number of shows it recieved on the Vertigo tour and the number of people who were in attendance.

This is completely wrong.

What I said was a guess, an estimate based on U2's past touring history in Australia. Its not right or wrong. This has not happened yet.

Demand remains strong for stadium concerts in Australia in general (indeed, the market at the moment is perhaps strongest it has been all decade), and demand for U2 specifically is little changed from 2006. A lot of people missed out then too; there was almost demand for a third Melbourne show, and second shows in Adelaide and Brisbane. Also keep in mind also that some people were only able to go because some others had to return tickets due to the date changes.

Some say that they met all the demand in the market last time because the 3rd Sydney show did not sellout. Again, I'm only basing by theory or estimate that demand for U2 might be a little softer than it was on Vertigo coming up in 2010 based on U2 tour history. I hope thats not the case though, and they go on to play 7 shows in the stadiums you claim that they will as well as 2 shows in New Zealand. Perhaps that will be enough to outgross AC/DC run coming up.

What I said was a guess, an estimate based on U2's past touring history in Australia. Its not right or wrong. This has not happened yet.

Make whatever estimates you want, that's cool, but they've shown you certainly aren't very familiar with the country. Your estimates for the US are quite obviously based on stronger local knowledge and I'll take you far more seriously with regards to them.

Some say that they met all the demand in the market last time because the 3rd Sydney show did not sellout. Again, I'm only basing by theory or estimate that demand for U2 might be a little softer than it was on Vertigo coming up in 2010 based on U2 tour history. I hope thats not the case though, and they go on to play 7 shows in the stadiums you claim that they will as well as 2 shows in New Zealand. Perhaps that will be enough to outgross AC/DC run coming up.

They met all the demand in Sydney. That has almost no impact on any other markets. Have you seen the distance between markets in Australia? You can't just pop down the road and be in Melbourne in a few hours. The markets in each capital city are quite independent of each other.

I expect U2 to play eight shows: Sydney x2, Melbourne x2, Wellington x2 (or maybe now Auckland), Brisbane x1, Adelaide x1. I'm not confident Perth will get a gig, but I am not privvy to any details regarding a possible visit there. I think it's safe to say they could sell out a gig in Perth, having not been there for 12 years, but the costs of carting a Claw across the Nullarbor must be astronomical.

can you imagine if u2 announced their us leg would solely consist of two new york shows, to in california, and one more in, say, miami?

yeah, it would never happen. it would be silly for u2 to pay the costs of having the claws and everything else shipped all the way to aus/nz and only play a couple shows across both countries. i think axver's estimates seem spot on. :up: though for purely selfish reasons, i'd like them to play auckland and wellington. :D

Does anyone know the parking situation at FedEx field in DC? I've heard the lot isn't as large as needed and that fans often park in neighboring garages for football games. I also thought I remembered parking fees being included in the price of my U2 ticket. Anyone have some insight on this?

How much does it cost to park at whatever stadium everyone here has gone to/is going to (for a concert)? In an actual stadium lot. I'm just curious because there are so many complaints about $40 for Gillette.

Make whatever estimates you want, that's cool, but they've shown you certainly aren't very familiar with the country.Your estimates for the US are quite obviously based on stronger local knowledge and I'll take you far more seriously with regards to them.

The main thing that is relevant here is the bands own touring experience in the past in the country and the results. That is going to have the biggest factor in determining what they do this time. The Key information your looking for is gross, attendance, rate of sellout if the show soldout, number of shows and where, number of sellouts, for each tour, time between different tours, and recent album sales in the country. Its the same with any part of the world that you look at.

They met all the demand in Sydney. That has almost no impact on any other markets. Have you seen the distance between markets in Australia? You can't just pop down the road and be in Melbourne in a few hours. The markets in each capital city are quite independent of each other.

Yep, its 30% further than the distance between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Notice Live Nation only booked one show for California in Los Angeles and nothing in the San Francisco market on this leg. It does have some impact despite the distance involved. If that were not the case, U2 would be playing more than 20 shows in North America on this leg of the tour and would definitely be playing a show in San Francisco.

On the Police's Synchronicity tour, they only played 2 shows in Australia, Melbourne and Sydney, both large crowds at the Showgrounds. They obviously limited the Australian leg to two shows to help boost attendance for each individual show. I believe Green Day did something similar on their last tour.

U2 skipped Adelaide on POPMART and only had single shows in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne as well as Perth. Combined attendance for all four shows was 93,128.

can you imagine if u2 announced their us leg would solely consist of two new york shows, to in california, and one more in, say, miami?

yeah, it would never happen. it would be silly for u2 to pay the costs of having the claws and everything else shipped all the way to aus/nz and only play a couple shows across both countries. i think axver's estimates seem spot on. :up: though for purely selfish reasons, i'd like them to play auckland and wellington. :D

Never happen in Australia/New Zealand eh? Guess what, it already has. It was called the POPMART TOUR.

U2 played four shows in Australia and none in New Zealand with the largest stage and TV screen ever built at that time.

86. Perth February 17, 1998 Burswood Dome GROSS: $1,273,178 ATTENDANCE: 13,775

87. Melbourne February 21, 1998 Waverly Park GROSS: $1,366,510 ATTENDANCE: 23,810

88. Brisbane February 25, 1998 ANZ Stadium GROSS: $1,019,744 ATTENDANCE: 17,567

89. Sydney February 28, 1998 Football Ground GROSS: $2,236,123 ATTENDANCE: 37,976

How much does it cost to park at whatever stadium everyone here has gone to/is going to (for a concert)? In an actual stadium lot. I'm just curious because there are so many complaints about $40 for Gillette.

$40??!! That seems outrageous! I'm guessing a parking space is hard to come by. I don't think I've ever paid more than $20 to park anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom