Whats The Biggest US Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A party pass are cheap tickets for GA room only areas in "party decks" that overlook the field. I know they used it for Paul McCartney's concert at Cowboys Stadium.

Paul McCartney Cowboys Stadium
Arlington, Texas
Aug. 19, 2009
GROSS: $5,054,620
ATTENDANCE: 35,903
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $140.79

Well, with only 35,903 in attendance, I would think you would want all those people on the field or in seats on the first level in full view. I don't think you would want them packed into some party deck and leave seats around the stadium empty.

By the way, "SELLOUT" refers to the selling of all tickets put on sale for the show. The maximum physical capacity of the stadium for a concert is at least 80,000+ in a 360 arrangement.

I didn't realize Paul did that badly in Dallas. Wow.

Well, the largest crowd U2 ever played to in Dallas before this tour was 39,000 on ZOO TV. The last time the Rolling Stones played a stadium in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, they played to 43,496 people.

Plus, Paul McCartney's GROSS is a record for a single show in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a single show. Of course this record will be broken by U2 360. Paul McCartney's average ticket price was $140 dollars and getting 35,000 people to attend a show at that price in this economy is very impressive.

I'm sure U2 360 figures will be a lot higher, but based on the previous concert touring records for various artist in the Dallas area, his figures for those show are actually very good, and record breaking when it comes to the GROSS.

Paul McCartney Cowboys Stadium
Arlington, Texas
Aug. 19, 2009
GROSS: $5,054,620
ATTENDANCE: 35,903
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $140.79

Well, with only 35,903 in attendance, I would think you would want all those people on the field or in seats on the first level in full view. I don't think you would want them packed into some party deck and leave seats around the stadium empty.

By the way, "SELLOUT" refers to the selling of all tickets put on sale for the show. The maximum physical capacity of the stadium for a concert is at least 80,000+ in a 360 arrangement.

Im just as surprised as you are, i have no idea why they were selling party passes to his concert, i distinctly remember seeing those tix for sale on ticketmaster. But i think it was just like a "48 hour sale" thing.

Marien, believe it or not, these college stadiums are sold out for weekly Saturday College Football Games, these "traditional" school programs have a strong following, for example:

1. Beaver Stadium, State College Pennsylvania - 107,282 - PENNSTATE NITANY LIONS
2. Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor Michigan - 106,201 - MICHIGAN WOLVERINES
3. Ohio Stadium, Columbus Ohio - 102,329 - OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
4. Darrel K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin Texas - 100,119 - TEXAS LONGHORNS
5. Neyland Stadium, Knoxville Tennessee - 100,011 - TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS

To name a few...

None of them compare to my MIAMI HURRICANES though...
Ohio State heads into the 2007 season with a string of 34 consecutive crowds of 100,000 or larger in Ohio Stadium. Old information, but useful for the 2010 leg. LOL.

Last edited:
A party pass are cheap tickets for GA room only areas in "party decks" that overlook the field. I know they used it for Paul McCartney's concert at Cowboys Stadium.

are you sure they sold party passes for mccartney? or did you mean to type "i don't know if they used it..."?

i would think if the party pass was available as an option on ticketmaster during the u2 general sale, someone would have mentioned it here or any of the other fan sites.

-dan

are you sure they sold party passes for mccartney? or did you mean to type "i don't know if they used it..."?

i would think if the party pass was available as an option on ticketmaster during the u2 general sale, someone would have mentioned it here or any of the other fan sites.

-dan

Yes, I remember distinctly seeing party passes for sale for the McCartney concert.

mccartney didn't do "bad" at all...

3838614441_40586d0d5a_b.jpg

his stage set up cut off a large section of seats, not to mention the big party deck is located behind his stage. they sold every ticket that went on sale.

that picture's from the opening act... apparently when paul went on they actually used the giant HD screen in the show. i wonder if U2 will do the same :hmm:

nice picture...crowd looks pretty good.

when i saw the 35k number, i was wondering if they draped off the top level...it was the only thing that made sense.

if we're putting percentages on it, i say there's a 0% chance they use the screen

-dan

From the same Wiki, in regards to the new Cowboys stadium:

"It was completed on May 29, 2009 and seats 80,000, but is expandable to seat up to 100,000."

So who knows if U2 is using the "expanded" version whatever that means.

It's funny because the Rose Bowl doesn't LOOK bigger than any of these places. I guess just because it isn't tiered like most NFL stadiums so it appears smaller.

UPDATE: My friend who happens to be a big Dallas Cowboy/U2 fan just took a tour of the new stadium yesterday (he's down there for the Cowboy - Giant game)...he mentioned that the tour guide talked about how U2 was paying to have the massive screen that is suspended 90 feet above the playing surface moved up and out of the way for sightline purposes...he also mentioned that the show was sold out..but the stadium has a lot of standing room only areas...so who knows if they're going to allow more people in there

his stage set up cut off a large section of seats, not to mention the big party deck is located behind his stage. they sold every ticket that went on sale.

that picture's from the opening act... apparently when paul went on they actually used the giant HD screen in the show. i wonder if U2 will do the same :hmm:

from the articles and blogs I have read the board will be rendered inoperable for the show

The secret for the Cowboys stadium is that they can change the spacing between seats. The seats can be dismounted and rearranged in just a few minutes over a rail. The question is how much seats were sold for the U2 concert there. And to any capacity mentioned before you must add the number of fans standing on field. That surely will boost the final number.

Notice that the entire upper level seating section is curtained off.

Marien, believe it or not, these college stadiums are sold out for weekly Saturday College Football Games, these "traditional" school programs have a strong following, for example:

1. Beaver Stadium, State College Pennsylvania - 107,282 - PENNSTATE NITANY LIONS
2. Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor Michigan - 106,201 - MICHIGAN WOLVERINES
3. Ohio Stadium, Columbus Ohio - 102,329 - OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
4. Darrel K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin Texas - 100,119 - TEXAS LONGHORNS
5. Neyland Stadium, Knoxville Tennessee - 100,011 - TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS

To name a few...

So what is the reason for not playing the larger stadiums ? if they can cater for 107.000 mad football fans (all seated presumably) why cant they cater for lets say with GA 140.000 mad U2 fans ?
simply to large for U2 ? I think they are
They wouldnt fill a 140.000 venue or rather P Mac wouldnt let them take the risk, they are making enough at each venue with thier 360 scam as it is, makes me puke when I see the band doing the promo pitch about "being closer " to the crowd.
Put the thing in the middle of the field and have it rotate then get back to me with your 360 crap
They are lucky to have such stupid fans that pay a ridiculous amount to sit behind a stage and watch the bands backsides while they play 95% of the time to the front of the stage

oh I forgot "you can see then on the video wall" ..........whoopy do

So what is the reason for not playing the larger stadiums ?

The top 5 stadiums in the USA are located primarily in rural area's with the exception of Columbus and Ann Arbor. Thats why they are not being used. If they were located in LA, San Francisco, DC, Philly, New York or Boston, they would be used. U2 actually played Ohio stadium in Columbus on POPMART.

if they can cater for 107.000 mad football fans (all seated presumably) why cant they cater for lets say with GA 140.000 mad U2 fans ?
simply to large for U2 ? I think they are

If that were the case, U2 would not be playing the ROSE BOWL or FEDEX FIELD.

They wouldnt fill a 140.000 venue or rather P Mac wouldnt let them take the risk, they are making enough at each venue with thier 360 scam as it is, makes me puke when I see the band doing the promo pitch about "being closer " to the crowd.

1st, Beaver stadium would only be able to hold 122,000 max for a U2 360 show there, not 140,000. U2 played to 150,000 people in Reggio Emilia Italy on POPMART in September of 1997. To date, it is the largest non-festival ticketed concert in the history of the world!

The largest non-festival ticketed concert in North American history was when the Who played JFK Stadium in Philadelphia on September 25, 1982 to 91,451 people. U2 have a chance to break that record with either of their shows at the Rose Bowl or FEDEX FIELD.

Put the thing in the middle of the field and have it rotate then get back to me with your 360 crap
They are lucky to have such stupid fans that pay a ridiculous amount to sit behind a stage and watch the bands backsides while they play 95% of the time to the front of the stage

oh I forgot "you can see then on the video wall" ..........whoopy do

The whole point of U2 360 is to do what has been done in Arena's for decades. U2 when 360 in Arena's for the first time back on the Unforgettable Fire tour in 1985. This is the first time someone has developed a way to go 360 in a stadium. The problem with the stadium has always been there is nothing to hang the speakers and lighting from in an outdoor stadium. So U2 figured out a way to build its on structure to provide what is always available at a basketball arena show.

People have been going 360 in the arena's for decades. U2 is the first artist to do a tour in stadiums in a 360 set up. That is what 360 refers to. U2 don't play in the center of the arena's either, but that has always been acknowledged as going 360, because you can have the crowd seated all the way around the stage with no obstructions.

Did McCartney have a seated floor or a GA floor? I'd think that GA would fit more onto the floor than would seating, so if it was seated, that might have also knocked down his capacity.

35,000 in such a massive stadium as that one is pretty mediocre, even if it was every ticket put on sale... I would think that Sir Paul could easily do better than that.

I know you guys are talking US stadiums, but with the rumours of East European concerts in 2010, have a read of this (from wikipedia).

The Great Strahov Stadium (Velký strahovský stadion in Czech) is a stadium in the Strahov district of Prague, Czech Republic. The stadium is no longer in use for sports events; it is a training centre for Sparta Prague, and is used to host pop concerts. The stadium is sited on Petřín hill overlooking the old city. It can be accessed by taking the Petřín funicular up the hill through the gardens.

The stadium was the largest in the world when first constructed, and is still the second largest sports facility worldwide after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, seating around 220,000.

Construction began on a wooden stadium in 1926, which was replaced by concrete grandstands in 1932. Further construction occurred in 1948 and 1975. The playing field, surrounded by seating on all sides, is 63,500 square metres. The stadium currently serves Sparta Prague as a training centre with 8 football pitches (6 pitches of standard sizes and 2 futsal pitches).

TOM19be3d_StrahovskyStadion_DanMate.jpg

I went there on Popmart and the place is HHHUUUGGGEEE! Now imagine that GA crowd!

btw, if i remember rightly from what i heard on the bus after one of the chicago shows, they can't play ann arbor because the only access onto the field is big enough for players only, thus you can't run trucks onto the field to build the stage.

I know you guys are talking US stadiums, but with the rumours of East European concerts in 2010, have a read of this (from wikipedia).

The Great Strahov Stadium (Velký strahovský stadion in Czech) is a stadium in the Strahov district of Prague, Czech Republic. The stadium is no longer in use for sports events; it is a training centre for Sparta Prague, and is used to host pop concerts. The stadium is sited on Petřín hill overlooking the old city. It can be accessed by taking the Petřín funicular up the hill through the gardens.

The stadium was the largest in the world when first constructed, and is still the second largest sports facility worldwide after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, seating around 220,000.

Construction began on a wooden stadium in 1926, which was replaced by concrete grandstands in 1932. Further construction occurred in 1948 and 1975. The playing field, surrounded by seating on all sides, is 63,500 square metres. The stadium currently serves Sparta Prague as a training centre with 8 football pitches (6 pitches of standard sizes and 2 futsal pitches).

TOM19be3d_StrahovskyStadion_DanMate.jpg

I went there on Popmart and the place is HHHUUUGGGEEE! Now imagine that GA crowd!

When they announced the tour McGuiness said they'd only do tiered stadiums. In 2009 they stuck with that with the exception of Nice and Vegas. I'd image they would loosen rules in 2010 and if they get to Eastern Europe.

That picture looks like there could be a problem with thousands of people trying to watch the show for free. Not an ideal security situation.

U2 played to 150,000 people in Reggio Emilia Italy on POPMART in September of 1997. To date, it is the largest non-festival ticketed concert in the history of the world!

The largest non-festival ticketed concert in North American history was when the Who played JFK Stadium in Philadelphia on September 25, 1982 to 91,451 people. U2 have a chance to break that record with either of their shows at the Rose Bowl or FEDEX FIELD.

This is the first time someone has developed a way to go 360 in a stadium. The problem with the stadium has always been there is nothing to hang the speakers and lighting from in an outdoor stadium. So U2 figured out a way to build its on structure to provide what is always available at a basketball arena show.

Careful with your P & Qs:

Italy 97 was the largest CONFIRMED paying audience for a single act. Multiple media reports have a stadium in Brazil as having bigger paying crowds for international acts. Mostly in the 1980's and predating accurate Billboard reporting.

Al Jolson played to 100,000 at the old Soldier Field in Chicago in August 1949. Best info source is vintage newspapers. It was paying and there were one or two other acts that I cannot find listed anywhere. Please note that I have informed Chicago's Greg Kot of this information so maybe he'll rip Live Nation for their "naive" press release(saying they had a chicago attendance record at 65,000), like he ripped Popmart in 2005 that pissed off Bono.

A variation on what Rod, Celine, Foo Fighters and WWF had each done in previous 360 stadium setups. All were one-offs except Rod and Celine did Euro only tours of this format in the mid/late 90's.

Im just as surprised as you are, i have no idea why they were selling party passes to his concert, i distinctly remember seeing those tix for sale on ticketmaster. But i think it was just like a "48 hour sale" thing.

Macca shows in DC and probably Dallas had some "fire sales" so whoever booked the show can make some of their money back. Paul ain't cheap. Makes me wonder if the "party passes" were sold for the show and if watching him on TV in lobby is a recommended way of seeing a show cheap or not.

Even then, Ann Arbor is about 45 miles from Detroit.

Oh wait... Foxboro, MA is around 30 miles from Boston and they're still playing there...

There are few if any area's of Massachusetts that could be refered to as "rural". The same could be said for much of the North Eastern United States within 100 miles of the coastline.

Did McCartney have a seated floor or a GA floor? I'd think that GA would fit more onto the floor than would seating, so if it was seated, that might have also knocked down his capacity.

35,000 in such a massive stadium as that one is pretty mediocre, even if it was every ticket put on sale... I would think that Sir Paul could easily do better than that.

Sometimes fire codes determine how many people can be on the floor rather than seats vs. GA.

35,000 is a good number for Dallas, especially based on past performances. Remember, the largest crowd U2 had ever played to in Texas prior to the 360 tour, was 39,000 people in Dallas on the ZOO TV tour.

Notice that the entire upper level seating section is curtained off.

yes, i noticed.

he sold 35,000 seats. every seat that was for sale was sold, not to mention the upper deck would have bad sightlines there because of the gigantic TV screens, which is exactly why U2 are having the screens raised.

considering a sell out for an arena show woulda been 18,000... selling 35,000 seats isnt' exactly doing poorly.

Careful with your P & Qs:

Italy 97 was the largest CONFIRMED paying audience for a single act. Multiple media reports have a stadium in Brazil as having bigger paying crowds for international acts. Mostly in the 1980's and predating accurate Billboard reporting.

I think its about time you learned that RECORDS are based on CONFIRMED FACTS, NOT speculation. Just as a man claiming to be 140 in Armenia does not get to a hold a record unless he can prove when he was born with an actual birth certificate, neither does a rumor or media report of a stadium crowd in Brazil in the 1970s or 1980s get the record unless they have confirmed boxoffice numbers for the show.

Al Jolson played to 100,000 at the old Soldier Field in Chicago in August 1949. Best info source is vintage newspapers. It was paying and there were one or two other acts that I cannot find listed anywhere. Please note that I have informed Chicago's Greg Kot of this information so maybe he'll rip Live Nation for their "naive" press release(saying they had a chicago attendance record at 65,000), like he ripped Popmart in 2005 that pissed off Bono.

WOW, you can continue to fantasize about Al Jolson and the alleged 100,000 crowd at Soldier Field, but unless you have actual boxoffice figures, you have NOTHING. If it was a ticketed event, what was the TICKET PRICE?

Why would you inform Chicago's Greg Kot? LOL:wink: Are you on some type of crusade to stop U2 from getting a record?:wink: Are you a U2 fan? I would assume you are, because most casual fans never even bother to visit a fan based website let alone a non-fan. Most fans would like to see U2 set a record, but you seem desperate to stop them or prove them wrong.LOL

By the way, POPMART was in 1997, NOT 2005. In addition, POPMART has the attendance record for Soldier Field at 116,000 attendance from 3 shows. Thats confirmed from Billboard Boxscore which counts multiple shows in certifying gross and attendance records.

Al Jolson will never be able to contest U2 for a single day attendance record at soldier field because I do not think any boxoffice data exist for Al Jolson. No, a report in the paper does not count. Several Chicago papers reported the Police had 33,000 in attendance at Comisky Park in 1983, when in fact the number was 45,000 as recorded in Billboard Boxscore. In addition, they claimed there were 50,000 or 60,000 at each of the Soldier Field performances on POPMART when in fact it was only 40,000 to 45,000. Media estimate attendance which is why they get it wrong nearly all the time. Billboard Boxscore reports the REAL actual boxoffice results!

But there is a concert that does have a chance to contest a record for a single day result for Soldier Field and thats Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA tour stop from 1985. The reason it gets to contest any U2 figure is because we have REAL boxoffice data for that show as reported in Billboard Boxscore. Bruce Springsteen played to about 73,000 people at Soldier Field in 1985. So he may still have the single day attendance record, but we won't know that until Boxscore figures are released for the U2 360 show at Soldier Field.

A variation on what Rod, Celine, Foo Fighters and WWF had each done in previous 360 stadium setups. All were one-offs except Rod and Celine did Euro only tours of this format in the mid/late 90's.

A few shows in Europe does NOT constitute a tour.

Back
Top Bottom