Whatever happened to just playing music??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable show last night at Gillette for so many reasons.....the sound was as perfect as any concert I've ever heard, the stage was the most insane thing I've ever seen out of my millions of concerts I've been to, and the set list was near perfect. But there was one HUGE problem....THE POLITICAL BULLSHIT!!!!

My god, what's it gonna take to get Bono to just sing songs for Christ's sake?? When I go to a concert I want music. I don't give a rats ass about Iranian women being oppressed, AIDS in Africa, or any of that other bullshit. A quick mention before something like Sunday Bloody Sunday is one thing, but to spend the whole second half of the show jamming that shit down my throat really pissed me off. Huge downer on the night.

I love this band but that shit was ridiculous. I still can't believe they ruined such a great song like Walk On by bringing all of those fans on stage holding the picture of some Iranian woman over the face. F'n ridiculous.

Couldn't have said it ANY BETTER. :applaud:

Like I said, if Bono wants to dedicate Sunday Bloody Sunday to whatever injustice there is going on in the world, then fine. I get that. But the relentless way they incorporate these issues from the other side of the world into the show is just not what people want from a night out at a concert.

But what are you gonna do, leave?? Not go?? Of course not. The music is too damn good. And U2 should wake up and realize there ARE people that DO skip shows because they know about the political agenda Bono spews all night. It's a damn shame.

It was one thing in 2001 when it was about 9/11. That was moving, memorable, and appropriate. Something that obviously hit home with all of us. No one who ever saw that tour post 9/11 will ever forget it.

is just not what people want from a night out at a concert.
You DO NOT speak for everyone, do not pretend like you do.

And U2 should wake up and realize there ARE people that DO skip shows because they know about the political agenda Bono spews all night. It's a damn shame.

Yeah, it seems they're really from it...

just not what people want from a night out at a concert.

By "people" you mean "me", right? B/c I knew dozens of people at the shows I went to and no one had a problem with it. In fact, I was glad they added the bit about the green revolution, I was hoping for an updated theme.

It was one thing in 2001 when it was about 9/11. That was moving, memorable, and appropriate. Something that obviously hit home with all of us. No one who ever saw that tour post 9/11 will ever forget it.

So now you are the expert on what hits home with whom? You know what it's like to lose a friend or family member in the Omagh bombing, or in Sarajevo, or what it's like to live in Kibera? If you experience the things that are spotlighted, you would never forget them.

U2 has had political themes in their concerts over a decade before 9/11.

Guess what? America isn't the only place in the world, and for us to think that there aren't events around the world that happen every year that are just as devastating to billions of people as 9/11 was to the US and the rest of the first world (a minority of the world's population) is a) stupid, b) arrogant, and c) suicidal.

I applaud U2 for trying their best to use their fame as their greatest weapon to fight this. Ignorance and apathy feed on each other, and only by removing the former can the latter ever have a chance of being removed. Bravo.

I have to call bullshit on anyone who tells me they go to a concert to be informed about social injustices in 3rd world countries.

Sort of like people refusing to go to a concert they actually would want to see because 30 seconds are dedicated to social injustices....

I have to call bullshit on anyone who tells me they go to a concert to be informed about social injustices in 3rd world countries.

:doh: Some people like when they see compassion, some like education, and others know it's just a tiny portion of the show...

And grab a map someday, or sit down in front of a computer someday and you'll realize there are other people outside your tiny little bubble.

I retract calling the OP an ignorant fool. I'm sorry for that personal attack, it was not my intention as I don't know him personally or even online here so I should not be insulting him personally.

Speaking to the words in his post, however, pretty much his entire line of argument was incredibly foolish and - willfully? - ignorant of several key facts and I would say in very poor taste on a U2 message board. Saying "I don't give a rat's ass" about other people less fortunate than we is despicable.

If someone were to say these things to me at a U2 concert, my response would be to tell them to can it and/or move away from me.

There's not much more to say. Most of you disagree with me and that's cool.

I went to two shows in 2001 and don't recall it being an issue at all. They're two of the most special nights I've ever had at a concert.

I went to one show in 2005 and for whatever reason I don't remember being bothered by the political stuff. I was so pumped to be seeing them again that I guess I just blocked it all out.

But something about last night just rubbed me the wrong way. No idea why it did but it did. I was just in the mood for a night of great music but it seemed like that stuff kept getting in the way. I'm sure in time I'll brush all of that off and just remember what really matters, which is how incredible they sounded, how great the setlist was, how amazing the visual experience was, and how close to the stage I was.

I do agree that the band has lost all cander as far as presenting political issues as part of the show.

Calling the White House every night? That's rock and fucking roll.

Giving out Zombie House Arrest masks to GA members? That's fucking creepy.

Also Nelson Mandela was being kind of creepy.

:|

That would be Desmond Tutu.
Well there were like eight of those black guys up there, so one of them must have been Mandela.

I would have had Tutu laughing looped and spun around during Vertigo's last chorus up on the big screen.

Giving out Zombie House Arrest masks to GA members? That's fucking creepy.

Can't say I disagree w/ this:up:

However I did not in the least let it ruin ChiCLAWgo uno & dos nor the two future shows 10/1 & 10/3:drool:

Showing her face on the Jumbo Screen would have been a great idea & leave it at that:reject:

Unbelievable show last night at Gillette for so many reasons.....the sound was as perfect as any concert I've ever heard, the stage was the most insane thing I've ever seen out of my millions of concerts I've been to, and the set list was near perfect. But there was one HUGE problem....THE POLITICAL BULLSHIT!!!!

My god, what's it gonna take to get Bono to just sing songs for Christ's sake?? When I go to a concert I want music. I don't give a rats ass about Iranian women being oppressed, AIDS in Africa, or any of that other bullshit. A quick mention before something like Sunday Bloody Sunday is one thing, but to spend the whole second half of the show jamming that shit down my throat really pissed me off. Huge downer on the night.

I love this band but that shit was ridiculous. I still can't believe they ruined such a great song like Walk On by bringing all of those fans on stage holding the picture of some Iranian woman over the face. F'n ridiculous.

do you know who U2 is?

Wow. If you love the band so much you'd think you would know what they're all about (and have been for a long time), you'd also know that that Iranian woman, who's actually Burmese, was the inspiration for that song in the first place. How you can love U2 and have no compassion for their emotions/causes is beyond me. They write based on real feelings and events, and use their shows/songs to attach to current or new causes, its their stage, and its not like they're fighting for something anyone with a heart wouldn't get behind.

But something about last night just rubbed me the wrong way. No idea why it did but it did. I was just in the mood for a night of great music but it seemed like that stuff kept getting in the way. I'm sure in time I'll brush all of that off and just remember what really matters, which is how incredible they sounded, how great the setlist was, how amazing the visual experience was, and how close to the stage I was.

Have you ever thought that maybe it was because it was just last night? That's why you remember it compared to 2001... I think part of it may be the fact that he's talking about issues you aren't aware of vs Americancentric issues.

Dude just relax and enjoy the concert. I would be thrilled to be at a U2 concert anyday and I wouldn't give a crap if Bono is ranting n ravin. Shit, I wouldn't care if Bono pulled up a stool and started reading a John McCain book or whatever.

No, not new to U2, and no, not my first tour. Well aware of Bono's M.O.

I guess when you see as many concerts as I do then go back to a U2 show for the first time in 4 years it just reminds you how fucking obnoxious it is that they can't just put on a normal concert. Leave that shit out of the show, it's not the time or place for it.

I've seen U2 at least 15 times and I couldn't agree more. Yeah, yeah we know Bono's been doing it forever but I would pay extra not to hear it.

Play music and STFU.

well, I've seen them 4 times... once in 98, 3 times in 06

I'd pay to have the real thing, and that includes EVERYTHING

you can ask to take out the pickles in a Big Mac...
with U2, you have to take it or leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom