What was the loudest tour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember driving home from the Vertigo tour in Jersey (GA) and wondering why the voices of the baseball announcers on the radio sounded weird. Then after turning stations figured out was the concert that messed with my ears.

Hard to say. I usually wear ear protection to concerts. I worked security for a couple ZooTV shows and remember being blown away during the soundcheck w. no ear plugs at the time. We were at the back of the stadium while Larry was tuning his drums for Zoo Station. Now *that* was loud.

U2 volume

My first concert at age 16 was U2 in Cleveland Public Music Hall during the War Tour (May 1983). This was just a few weeks before the infamous Red Rocks show. It was very loud, but the acoustics in that venue are excellent so the sound was clear.

Since then, I've seen U2 on every tour except Zoo TV (I know, I know). I would have to say Vertigo (indoor) was the loudest. Too loud, especially in the encore when I swear Joe cranks it up. I saw 2 shows on that tour, both from the center of the floor, and after the first one I bought a pair of hi-fi earplugs because my ears were ringing for days. I like loud music but I'm not too keen on tinnitus. I wore the plugs on the second show I saw (many months later) and while it was still plenty loud (with plenty of chest-rattling bass) I could hear the high end stuff much better. I pulled the plugs out a few times--it was a much better audio experience with them in--during Edge's intro to "All Because of You", for example, it was hard to actually hear what he was playing with naked ears.

I just saw 360 in Boston last week, Monday night's show, I was in front of Edge. Not as loud as Vertigo but pretty loud. I kept the earplugs in most of the time, but pulled them out for a few minutes here and there just to get a taste of the full volume. Again, sounded better with them in.

In my experience, U2 have always been one of the louder bands. And I started going to concerts during the time when decibel levels peaked (eighties). Saw a lot of bands in different venues, and U2 was always among the loudest. But the sound quality is usually pretty good (until Vertigo--I figured Joe had lost his hearing by then).

I thought the Popmart sound system was awesome--saw that outdoors and indoors (in the Kingdome). Seems to me the 360 system is just as good.

In my experience, the indoor arena shows are the loudest and where you're apt to get the worst sound, depending on the venue, where you're sitting, and how well Joe's dialed in the sound for the space.

To my mind, bands like U2 should prioritize clarity over volume. As long as it's loud enough for Adam to shake the rafters and rumble your chest a little bit, that's good enough--I don't need it ear-splitting, especially when you're straining to hear what Bono's saying.

I advise everyone to invest in a pair of high-fidelity earplugs (like Hearos). You'll hear the music much better and will protect your ears from irreparable damage. That ringing in your ears after a show can become permanent--just ask Pete Townshend. Hell of a price to pay and not at all necessary...

dinosaur jr. is far and away the loudest band i have ever heard and its not even close. the first time is saw them in front of a small club, my ears were ringing for two weeks. i have seen 100's of different bands (including bloc party), and no one has come even close to those guys. they have be banned from many,many venues. its obnoxiously loud, it really is just about unbearable without earplugs.[/QUOTE]

Ever been to a My Bloody Valentine concert? Two Words...The Holocaust. 30-40 minutes of continuous feedback that is akin to standing in front of a jet engine. The last show I went to clocked at 130 dbs. An experience not to be missed however....with ear plugs.

I've seen every U2 tour since Zoo TV and Vertigo indoors wins hands-down.

I'm seeing Dinosaur Jr. in November. I will be prepared. :)

I'd say Popmart was the loudest as far as pure volume goes...and I was at the back of the stadium!!!---dang that sound system was amazingly loud and clear. I didn't think any of my Vertigo shoes were that loud. Elevation was loud (ok, the crowd was ridiculous loud in Salt Lake City) but the sound wasn't that loud and neither were the other Elevation shows I saw. Just my 2 cents...

The 360 tour seems to be the most well balanced. They have a huge system and I would not be surprised if it was pushing 1,000,000 watts (although I am sure most of us here have no idea what that even means.) If not that large, it would only be because the speakers today are much better and more efficient then they were during Zoo. There are many more cabinets being utilized on this tour.

I did find this tour to be a bit tinny, however. The bass coming from the ring under the circle was great for that chest pumping feel, but I think they should have upped the bass coming from above and tone down Bono's fill. The Edge's guitar sounds like 10 people are playing along with him - sounds fucking brilliant.

I always wear ear protection, but I remember Popmart being a mess. I was close to the side of the stage and pretty far down and I don't know if it was because the band were playing like crap, or if the mix was bad, but songs like Mofo just sounded terrible.

And my loudest show?

Probably Marilyn Manson in the basement of The Middle East in Boston around '94 or something. It was incredibly painful as the ceiling was only about 9' high. Didn't last long, however as Mr. Manson decided to throw his mike stand at the drummer's head after grabbing the bassist's penis. The drummer proceeded to leave the building and ended the show.

What a douche.

Vertigo indoors stands out as the loudest of the ones I've been to. I remember when Snow Patrol were opening in Brussels on Vertigo the volume for that was ear-splittingly loud (from near the back of the gold circle so I dread to think what it was like up front) - happily turned down a bit when U2 came on.

Anyone have a picture or graphic representation of the ZOO PA. I can't locate it anywhere on DVD's, Youtube, etc.

Was it creatively hidden like Vertigo Stadium to blend into the set?

Anyone have a picture or graphic representation of the ZOO PA. I can't locate it anywhere on DVD's, Youtube, etc.

Was it creatively hidden like Vertigo Stadium to blend into the set?
Here's one of the outdoor Zoo setup from the side:
VeteransStadiumAfterZooTV.jpg

Here's another one:
801_zootv-stage-01.jpg

Looks like they had 2 big stacks on the far ends. This is the only U.S. tour I missed, so don't have firsthand knowledge.

Regarding the volume on Vertigo indoor, plus some of the sound quality issues, I often wonder whether Joe's hearing is pretty well shot after 30 years of running the soundboard. I mean, wouldn't yours be? That's my theory for why Vertigo indoor was so loud and crappy sounding at times. I remember the second Boston Fleet Center show in May '05, Blinding Lights just sounded like noise from the middle of the floor. He got the sound dialed in better after that, but still, it was too loud...

In my experience, the outdoor shows are much better that way...

As 360 was my first show...this is the right thread to ask: Is this "normal loud" for U2 ? Louder than usual or quieter ? And do they tend to sound louder in such a big setting compared to arenas ?

I had earplugs and I honestly expected a far louder sound and/or ear pain/ringing during the show but it didn't happen. :up: And I was in GA, roughly 50 meters in front of the stage.

As 360 was my first show...this is the right thread to ask: Is this "normal loud" for U2 ? Louder than usual or quieter ? And do they tend to sound louder in such a big setting compared to arenas ?

I had earplugs and I honestly expected a far louder sound and/or ear pain/ringing during the show but it didn't happen. :up: And I was in GA, roughly 50 meters in front of the stage.

Inside the inner circle? if you are right under the suspended speaker stacks its not that loud. If you move back a little to where they are in front of you it is much, much louder. We moved out of the inner circle back to the middle of the floor for the last two songs, and it was much, much louder.

Here's one of the outdoor Zoo setup from the side:
VeteransStadiumAfterZooTV.jpg

Here's another one:
801_zootv-stage-01.jpg

Looks like they had 2 big stacks on the far ends. This is the only U.S. tour I missed, so don't have firsthand knowledge.

Regarding the volume on Vertigo indoor, plus some of the sound quality issues, I often wonder whether Joe's hearing is pretty well shot after 30 years of running the soundboard. I mean, wouldn't yours be? That's my theory for why Vertigo indoor was so loud and crappy sounding at times. I remember the second Boston Fleet Center show in May '05, Blinding Lights just sounded like noise from the middle of the floor. He got the sound dialed in better after that, but still, it was too loud...

In my experience, the outdoor shows are much better that way...

Thanks for these, fast eddy! Appreciate it.

I talked to my boss the other day who has been in the music industry since the late 1970s and he told me ZOO TV was one of only a few ear splitting shows he had ever seen. He said the others were Sammy Haggar solo, AC/DC in the early 1980s and ZZ Top in a small club in Providence, RI.

He told me that U2 actually gave set lists to every security person in the Zoo TV barricade with asterisks next to Zoo Station, The Fly, Bullet and Desire to let them know that this is when you a.)take a few steps forward or b.)get blown away!

360 toronto wasn't nearly loud enough come to think of it. least loud show of all i have seen. perhaps they removed the rear speakers? I was looking for them but couldn't see 'em :shrug:

Anyone who has seen it care to comment on how loud they were on Joshua Tree?

Or Lovetown?

I am just really interested in this and will admit, I am old thread bumping here, blatantly!

360 toronto wasn't nearly loud enough come to think of it. least loud show of all i have seen. perhaps they removed the rear speakers? I was looking for them but couldn't see 'em :shrug:

Ha. I saw 8 Vertigo shows, including all the toronto ones, from either inside the ellipse, or on the outside rail. I took ear protection for the first few, and found I didn't need it, I took them out and ended up not using it.

For 360, the first night I was in the pit, back row. By about 3/4 through the show, my ears were buzzing so much I started to experience vertigo (ha, I know) so I wadded up tissue and put in my ears, and that made it better. The second show I saw from the sound board, and that sound was amazingly clear, no ear protection needed.

Ha. I saw 8 Vertigo shows, including all the toronto ones, from either inside the ellipse, or on the outside rail. I took ear protection for the first few, and found I didn't need it, I took them out and ended up not using it.

For 360, the first night I was in the pit, back row. By about 3/4 through the show, my ears were buzzing so much I started to experience vertigo (ha, I know) so I wadded up tissue and put in my ears, and that made it better. The second show I saw from the sound board, and that sound was amazingly clear, no ear protection needed.

The Vertigo show I saw in Boston seemed to ebb and flow in terms of sound, there was a little bit of buzzing in my ears at the end. I could have sworn Bullet and ABOY were cranked up head and shoulders above everything else, as I remember the beginning of ABOY actually being painfully loud.

I saw 2 360 Shows, you make a good point! First night, soundboard, same experience as you, great sound! Second night, mezzanine, Edge's side, back left corner of stadium. A little louder than soundboard.

My friend was down on the floor, about half way to the outer rail, right under the speaker stacks on Edge's side and she said they were loud as hell.

However, the overall consensus on 360 here seems to be quieter than normal.

I was just reading about a Swans gig in the late eighties which was so incredibly loud that people were literally emptying their bowels, so I'm going to assume that no U2 gig has ever really come close to that.

Anyone who has seen it care to comment on how loud they were on Joshua Tree?

Or Lovetown?

I am just really interested in this and will admit, I am old thread bumping here, blatantly!

I was at JT in November in St. Paul. Don't remember it being particularly loud when compared to most other acts I saw during that era, but that was a long time ago. I can say they were nowhere near as loud as RUSH, who I saw twice in the 80's. I distinctly remember the effect of those shows on my hearing.

That's just flat out categorically wrong... :huh:

JT pretty similar to now and Vertigo... ZooTV varied. Pop was mixed down due to confidence probably, Elevation should have been :wink:

didn't I read somewhere that they shattered windows at the ZooTv Vancouver show?

That's the price of hitting the High C.

dinosaur jr. is far and away the loudest band i have ever heard and its not even close. the first time is saw them in front of a small club, my ears were ringing for two weeks. i have seen 100's of different bands (including bloc party), and no one has come even close to those guys. they have be banned from many,many venues. its obnoxiously loud, it really is just about unbearable without earplugs.

I've heard some horror stories about My Bloody Valentine that mirror this, although I can't verify them myself, as their reunion gigs were few and far away from me. It baffles me that anyone would think it necessary to play so loud that the music itself is impossible to discern, unless they really lack confidence in what they're playing.

The one U2 gig I've seen (Vertigo leg 1, Philadelphia) wasn't anything too terribly memorable as far as the volume goes. It was loud, Bono's speeches were a bit indistinct (I tend to block them out anyway), but I have no major complaints. It was an indoor gig too, so it probably would have been perfect outdoors, maybe even a hair too quiet. Kings of Leon's sound, on the other hand, was distorted mush. And that was before their songs turned to mush.

I think it kinda depends on venues. Gillette Stadium, Meadowlands, Sam Boyd, Cowboys Stadium... All far from cities. Soldier Field, Rose Bowl, Reliant Stadium, they all need to have the volume lowered cause of nearby homes and buildings. In Foxboro, you can pretty much crank it all the way up ha.

SMB

Back
Top Bottom