What exactly is GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GA is great if you dont mind sitting in line outside the venue all day in order to get a good spot inside. Or, if you don't mind having to struggle to go pee or get something to drink then try to get back into your spot, and then standing again for another 3 hours or so.

There are pros and cons to both, but I must say there is nothing like being right up close in GA with the band like 5 feet in front of you. I've been in seats, I've been inside the heart and ellipse, I've been outside the heart and ellipse.. its all a different experience. In the end its your own decision and you have to do what is right for you.

GA tickets - Stadium vs. Arena

Does anyone remember how many GA's were made available for arena shows on the last two tours? Next question, does anyone have any idea how many GA's will be available for the upcoming stadium shows? I'm not looking for exact specs, just a ballpark figure.
Thanks.

What I am most curious about is what time did you (if you stood in GA before) start lining up, and how many people were there in front of you (not looking for exact number, of course... )

For the first Seattle show, I showed up at about 1 in the afternoon and was number 175 or something like that. I ended up three rows/heads back from the outer rail, which ended up being a great spot.

So it's possible to show up at some time after the ass-crack of dawn and still get a really decent spot. :)

Why GA?

I'm just curious as to why GA are the holy grail of tickets? I mean, yes they're cheaper but the only chance of really enjoying the experience is if you camp out for a long time and hope you get close to the rails or get beeped in the hole. If, however, you are a bit behind, would there not be heads in your way throughout the concert and you'll be on your toes or jumping constantly to catch a glimpse?

With seats you get to see the entire stage, the lighting from the top, the spaceship. You get to see the video screens, you get to see what each band member is doing; you have a real vantage point from where you can see all the things that are going on. You have a seat! you don't have to wait in lines for days. You can get up and go take a piss or get some drinks. You can go buy souvenirs. You're not as tired/hungry/thirsty/smelly/exhausted as you would be if you were in GA queuing up for hours?

So does anyone want to tell me why is it that GA are so sought after? I can totally see it being a great ticket if you get there super early, and you are right in front touching the rail, or maybe a few rows behind?

Cheers

You're not as tired/hungry/thirsty/smelly/exhausted as you would be if you were in GA queuing up for hours?

That's all part of the GA experience for me!:wink:

That and getting there early to be sure of getting a good spot. I wouldnt be bothered for anyone else other than u2 though.

Have you ever been on or near the rail at a U2 show?
I have been in seats, GA in the middle of the field and GA up front. The experience for me up front utterly blows all others out of the water. The queuing, waiting etc is all worth it for me, it's once every 4 years. For me it's the only way now...

I won't be peeing, drinking or buying anything during the concert.
GA is like being in a party - it is an experience.
Seats are like watching a show - good, but not the same thing.

I am doing a mix this time - because they both have pros and cons.

^ Yep, pro and cons for me as well.

I'm usually a GA type of person, though I notice that it's getting harder with age :wink:

GA is really great if you can get close to the stage.

Seats can be great, too, because you have a cool view of the whole place and see everything, if only from a certain distance. I'd do a mixture and try both.

^ Yep, pro and cons for me as well.

I'm usually a GA type of person, though I notice that it's getting harder with age :wink:

GA is really great if you can get close to the stage.

Seats can be great, too, because you have a cool view of the whole place and see everything, if only from a certain distance. I'd do a mixture and try both.

I totally agree on a mixture of both for anyone who will be lucky enough to see more than one show.
But, I would add a third "must" too, GA from the back by the soundboard.
It's great to see the entire stage/view from the back of the field/floor, the tickets are cheap, and you can relieve or refresh yourself without worrying about losing your spot and no spending all day in line. These are each very different and fun ways to experience U2.

The other thing about GA tix is that since they are cheaper and desirable, it's not a risk to get them for a show that you're not certain you'll be able to attend. They are easier to unload than seats.

Mark

Have you ever been on or near the rail at a U2 show?
I have been in seats, GA in the middle of the field and GA up front. The experience for me up front utterly blows all others out of the water. The queuing, waiting etc is all worth it for me, it's once every 4 years. For me it's the only way now...
We got to Manchester at 10.00 and queued until 16.00 for the 1st vertigo show there and really enjoyed having a chat and a beer or two with fellow U2 fans it's all part of a great day:D

Does anyone have pictures of yourself in GA's? In front of the stage?....rail skanks?

just a couple of my gals in STL and OAK

TomPix0071.jpg

IMG_00431.jpg

november050182.jpg

MaMa Mia you were close:dancing:

GA questions if anyone would help

Is five GA tickets to many to buy ? Meaning will they let me? Myself my wife:hug: and three outta the four kids

What is the best way to purchase them? I spoke with a manager of a Blockbuster today who now partners with LiveNation & he was saying online is best I am just worried servers are gonna jam :reject:

I did buy three tickets for The Vertigo Tour Cleveland Ohio 12-10-05:bow:

I think I arrived at Quicken Loans Arena about 7p.m. waltzed in and was back by the soundboard for me it was a great spot but back then I used ETS Tours where they had a dinner & a shuttle to the show

Anyone have any clue as to price for GA for 9-12-09 Soldier Field?

MaMa Mia you were close:dancing:

GA questions if anyone would help

Is five GA tickets to many to buy ? Meaning will they let me? Myself my wife:hug: and three outta the four kids

What is the best way to purchase them? I spoke with a manager of a Blockbuster today who now partners with LiveNation & he was saying online is best I am just worried servers are gonna jam :reject:

I did buy three tickets for The Vertigo Tour Cleveland Ohio 12-10-05:bow:

I think I arrived at Quicken Loans Arena about 7p.m. waltzed in and was back by the soundboard for me it was a great spot but back then I used ETS Tours where they had a dinner & a shuttle to the show

Anyone have any clue as to price for GA for 9-12-09 Soldier Field?

I believe you can buy up to 8 tickets at once during the general sale, but I may have just made that up so someone had better confirm :wink: During the presale you can only buy 4 total

I've always bought my tickets online so I'd recommend that

I was in Cleveland :rockon: to answer an earlier question, I arrived in GA line around 5am in Cleveland and was about 60th or so. Ended up with a spot on the rail...here's a photo I took of Edge

TheEdgerightinfrontofme.jpg

GA prices...I think they're gonna be $55. But is there still no official word?

I'll be in Chicago too :wave:

Thanks AtomicBono:applaud:

I don't know if it is my age ( I am 39 now ) but I do not think I could be in line for twelve hours or more:reject:

The spot I had was not to bad for me ( back by the soundboard ) LOL

I took my two oldest children back then for the Cleveland show but the oldest one has now moved out ( she will be 20 in a few months ) so I don't know if I am gonna buy her a ticket or not:hmm:

O no I told my wife the GA Tickets were gonna be $30 a piece LOL

I can see her now:madwife:

This will be her first time ever seeing them LIVE

Me neither, been to 14 U2 shows, but have never done GA. Oakland 2010 will be my first. I'm willing to wait in line & hope I'm lucky to get in the circle yada yada yada... ...here are my doubts once you're in the field/stadium:

- Restroom Breaks: do you have to hold it? If you go, do you loose your place?
- Beer Rounds/Breaks: "ditto"

Depends on the people around you. If you're packed in like sardines near the front, my advice is not to leave unless absolutely necessary once it gets close to show time.

My few times being close to the front, I've had to just really watch my fluid intake (I have the world's smallest bladder) during the day and just have a bottle of water to sip to keep from getting dehydrated.

I went to the bathroom a few times before it got really crowded on the floor and had no trouble getting my spot back. It helps to joke to people as you pass them: "remember me - I'm coming back through this way in a few minutes!"

If you're farther towards the back, I don't think it's a problem to leave and weave your way back to your spot, as there tend to be big open pockets of space throughout the floor, once you're about halfway back (in my experience, anyway).

My two cents. :)

Me neither, been to 14 U2 shows, but have never done GA. Oakland 2010 will be my first. I'm willing to wait in line & hope I'm lucky to get in the circle yada yada yada... ...here are my doubts once you're in the field/stadium:

- Restroom Breaks: do you have to hold it? If you go, do you loose your place?
- Beer Rounds/Breaks: "ditto"

Leaving the line to go to the restroom / get food is generally fine, just don't take liberties and make sure you have spoken to the people behind and in front of you so they all know where you have gone.

Once in the venue, if you want to be right at the front of the inner circle then pretty much forget about beer rounds to help avoid needing to go to the restroom. If you get the front rail then forget about the restroom entirely. If you just want to get into the inner circle and are happy to stand to the side of it then getting in / out is absolutely no problem at all.

For Vertigo I was outside the ellipse in GA and it was great to be that close to the band, since it was an arena show and more intimate.

For 360, though, three friends and I skipped the line, showed up at 5pm, and were about 10-15 rows back from the outside of the inner circle. Best decision we could have made. Very little stressing, we had the whole day to experience the city, and I think 360 is better viewed from a little bit of a bigger vantage point, to be honest. I feel like I might missing something without a full view of the rig.

Back
Top Bottom