Was the screen glitch last night Dublin's fault? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Don't know if anyone noticed, but the screen didn't move at all last night the way it normally does, becoming longer and more stretched out... it just stayed in this position all night AFAIK:

YouTube - U2 Gothenburg 2009-07-31 City Of Blinding Lights

Is that because of the delay in getting the equipment over? I had really hoped there'd be no actual problems resulting from that, as I feel any genuine problems caused by the Dublin incident will make the band more apprehensive about ever playing Croker again... :(

Anyone have any info?

In Dublin there was a major screen malfunctioning before the third gig. The screen was out completely and couldn't move in anymore. Techs worked on it and managed to fix it.

That cannot have been the problem for Gotheborg since that screen is NOT the one used in Dublin. They have 3 different setups!

And I just heard about the striking incident in Dublin, can honestly say I did not notice ANYTHING at all in Dublin. :huh:

The screen is the same actually, that's why there was so much chaos after the protest. There are three claws, but only one sound and video system which travels to each gig. Hence why they always get the screen out first.

Also, what was the problem in Dublin? I was at Dublin 3, didn't notice any screen problems at all... And I was there for Bell X1 and The Script as well...?

The screen is the same, the Claw is different. They have three claws, but only one stage and screen. So it IS possible that it has to do with the delay indeed, maybe something was missing in Gothenburg or they didn't have enough time to set it up properly or test it and therefore decided that they wouldn't risk extending the screen. Someone from the tour crew said something like that in an interview regarding the protests in Dublin. That it will indeed affect the next show.

I don't know how strong the wind was in Gothenburg, but the screen should be designed to stand strong winds. Of course it would be too dangerous if it's really stormy, but I don't know if that was the case yesterday. I hope it will work again tonight and also on Monday when I'm at the show.

actually they only have 1 screen :D but 3 different claws.
Ah, I didn't know that.

The screen is the same actually, that's why there was so much chaos after the protest. There are three claws, but only one sound and video system which travels to each gig. Hence why they always get the screen out first.

Also, what was the problem in Dublin? I was at Dublin 3, didn't notice any screen problems at all... And I was there for Bell X1 and The Script as well...?

Actually, before Bell X1 you could see the screen was completely out. That normally never happens. I was in the FOS area and saw Rocko and Dennis Sheehan(tour manager) on stage, who never are there. And a couple of workmen with helmets on climbed into the Claw to work there.
The screen was also lowered while being completely out as well. There definitely was some sort of problem there.

I was on the rail between Bono and Adam and could see the whole thing unfold.

They spent probably 30 to 40 minutes trying to get something fixed on Adams side of the screen. Seems some small part had fallen off. First they tried looking for the part and then finally one of the techs came out with a new one they got it back on and managed to get the screen to retract. Everyone cheered when they finally got it fixed.

They spent probably 30 to 40 minutes trying to get something fixed on Adams side of the screen. Seems some small part had fallen off. First they tried looking for the part and then finally one of the techs came out with a new one they got it back on and managed to get the screen to retract. Everyone cheered when they finally got it fixed.

Yep, I was on Adams site and had a good view of them fixing it. Thanks for clarifying, I didn't really notice what they were trying to do. The opening acts started about 15 minutes later than on the first two nights.

Part of the screen was malfunctioning at Amsterdam 1 & 2 but was fixed by Dublin. I guess it is pretty delicate technology.

did you go to barcelona AND dublin??? :ohmy:

-dan

Part of the screen was malfunctioning at Amsterdam 1 & 2 but was fixed by Dublin. I guess it is pretty delicate technology.

What was malfunctioning in Amsterdam? I don't remember noticing anything much besides one piece flashing red all the time.

I'm not sure if some small part had fallen off. It seemed more as if one of the machines used for pulling up (and letting down) the screen was not working anymore. So they replaced it with a spare.

BTW, we must've been close to each other, as I was also between Bono and Adam (between the #6 and #5 positions for the bridges) . Though not on the rail, but 2 to 3 people behind the rail.

:wave:

During which part/parts? I didn't notice anything strange at AMS1

The only thing I noticed was that one of the front-panels wasn't always functioning properly. At times its colours were off or it displayed static.
Then again, I was so close to the stage that I rarely looked at the screen.

this was just tweeted on U2gigs:

Just asked a U2 crew member. It was too windy to extend the screen yesterday.

/endthread

Umm, okay, so it must have been very windy. I hope for no more strong winds for the rest of the tour. It's a shame if they cannot open the screen, because that's actually one of the coolest effects during the show.

I'm not sure if some small part had fallen off. It seemed more as if one of the machines used for pulling up (and letting down) the screen was not working anymore. So they replaced it with a spare.

BTW, we must've been close to each other, as I was also between Bono and Adam (between the #6 and #5 positions for the bridges) . Though not on the rail, but 2 to 3 people behind the rail.

Oh shit. You must've stood quite in front of me!!!! I was also inbetween Bono and Adam, next to one of the bridge positions quite under the claw! I had a railspot on the inside of the outer rail.

Oh shit. You must've stood quite in front of me!!!! I was also inbetween Bono and Adam, next to one of the bridge positions quite under the claw! I had a railspot on the inside of the outer rail.

Though I was close to the front rail (and not the inner rail).

What was malfunctioning in Amsterdam? I don't remember noticing anything much besides one piece flashing red all the time.

That is the bit. It was on the left/front side of the screen. That was directly in front of my seats Amsterdam 1, and I noticed it again from front rail GA on Amsterdam 2.

They screen for Dublin 3 was down when we got in there and they finally got it back up right before the first opener came on.

When the screen lights up and extends on TUF, the effect is gorgeous. But, this is cutting edge technology, and it's presumably never been used like this before on a consistent basis, so it's only fair to expect glitches and weather-related restrictions. Although the screen when extended looks pretty fragile, I imagine the individual components are all pretty heavy too, so if there's the chance that anything could fall to the stage, then it can't be fully extended all the time.

In Gelsenkirchen it took a while to completely retract too.

I had seen the show 2 times before so i knew something was not going as planned when it didn't go up.

But I was with four people who hadn't seen the show before, and they never really noticed there was a problem with the screen.

So no big problem.

nothing wrong with the screen in Poland?

the LED panels are interchangeable, but I suppose on some dates there isnt a whole lot of intensive testing to perform.

the good thing is that the video crew travels with the screen and must know it inside out now.

Back
Top Bottom