VIP Packages + (RED) Zone Auctions - All Discussion HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to love that officially sanctioned scalping.

i was just thinking they could call it "Scalpe(red)" lmfao!! ;)

actually i think it's not a bad idea, if they can have auctions like that then at least some of the money will be going to a good cause rather than into scalpers' pockets, and those that can afford it will know where their money is going and have the reassurance that it's all kosher... i mean people are more than willing to pay scalpers stooooopid prices so i reckon Kudos to Red for playing them at their own game and trying to win over some of those punters :applaud:

(as long as they don't do that with all the tickets though obviously...)

Got to love that officially sanctioned scalping.

No matter what way they dress it up, that's exactly what it is. In the future, I suspect that all tickets will be auctioned off rather than sold.

Axver, I see you're rapidly closing in on 100,000 posts, and you seem to be the most prolific member on here. Just out of curiosity, how many posts would you make on an average day / week?

I thought this was a bit dodgy, but the bit that annoys me most is the "highest bidders get a backstage tour" bit. I know it doesnt mention a band meet but still, money will get you anywhere eh? :| Random bidders, fair enough but jeez.

yeah i thought the "highest bidders get a backstage tour" was a bit Capitalist actually... bit gross and corporate really... very special treatment for the very rich... up theirs!

I don't see why this auction is genertating more negative reactions than seats at $250. The red zone is not even inside the ellipse. Some people have jobs and can't stand in GA lines all day, and the longtime fans are aging. This is not scalping. I have done an auction or two before for other artists, and the final winning price was only 10-20% higher than the seats, and were closest to stage. Scalpers selling those seats later were charging triple or more the auction price. The best spots will still go to GA in this case.

I like the idea that it is sponsored by (RED) and a portion of the proceeds will go to charity. The Field in a stadium is a big place so I don't see the harm. Personally, I would rather do the (RED) area than the first price level in the lower stands.

For those piling on U2, you have to look at it from their perspective. They did not want to lose money on this tour as they almost did with ZooTV. By going in with LiveNation, they are likely guaranteed a certain level of profit, but LiveNation controls the pricing to some extent. By setting up tiered pricing, U2 have allowed more people to see their shows and not thrown all the profit to the scalpers (i.e., if all seats were, say $100-$130, plenty of people would pay more than that for the lower bowl sections, but none of that excess money would go to U2) and by insisting on GA on the field, they leave the best location in the stadium at a low price. They could have put seats on the Field and charged $250 for them and they would have easily sold them out no problem. I believe this (RED) area is another concession between U2 and Live Nation - I am sure LN gets some of the excess over the normal GA price, but the band likely insisted that some of it also go to their charity. Overall, I am happy with the way U2 has priced the tour.

WTF are they doing?

unbelievable they (u2) are doing these sort of things... I really hope people don't take part of these auctions. Make a statement. what a shit way to earn money

For those piling on U2, you have to look at it from their perspective. They did not want to lose money on this tour as they almost did with ZooTV.

believe me, when the average ticket price is 80 euros and there are 60,000 tickets.... 80x60,000=4,800,000 comes in. substract salaries, production costs or whatever and there is plenty left. They do not lose money, they never did. 70-80% of their income is probably form touring...

im down with this, the only downside to it is that part of the original appeal to the GA with stage in the center was much more surface area for lack of a better word for the GA people to surround the stage, now its appearing to be like you either buy GA and get lucky enough to get in the elipse, or you get stuck out on the big square in the opposite end of the stadium from wear the giant spider sits. We will not know till they show up if there will be any GA space on the sides. So its looks like at best case GA is in front of stage, and back of stage..Again, this isnt a very good map because of the scale.

If there is two rows of seats of this operation red thing, it would not take up much space although there would be no "on the rail" option on the sides. But if there is 20 rows of seats it will as I fear wipe out the GA on the sides. Really does radically change the GA aspect of the thing

My biggest concern is that again, each corner will probably have only one band member on it if they play like metallica OR certain songs you will see them, certains songs they will be together but playing to another corner. Even if you pay a fortune for these tickets, you will have the same dilema, its not like front row at a regular concert where all four are in front of you at all times, youll only have one or a combo but then trade that off during other songs..In the short, pay a fortune to have them near you maybe 6 songs on average (figuring 24 song set)

it'll end up being bloody Bill Gates getting the backstage tour at this rate won't it :lmao:

Somewhat sucky toward the poor GA people really too, since theres less places to get near the stage.

I think GA people will be fine. GA ticket prices will be lower this time, anyone who doesn't want to bid in the auction can get a cheaper ticket and will still be close to the stage. If someone decides to put money into bidding for a place in the (Red) Zone, that's fine. I don't think that these will be the best places in the house. And I hate champagne anyway.

Well they can still *get* near the stage, but they're going to have less places near the stage.

I'm going to be curious as to just how high/low these tickets go....

by the way, what really sucks for those who want these tickets, is the fact that this is announced AFTER the fanclub-presale....

selling VIP packages...if they wanna become the new Stones they should go on with this...

and what also ANNOYS me is the fact that 'a portion of the proceeds will be donated to (RED)' ... what a way to play with the conscience of ticket buyers...what's a portion? 2 euros?

by the way, what really sucks for those who want these tickets, is the fact that this is announced AFTER the fanclub-presale....

Why? Anyone who decides they want this package should have no problem selling the ticket they got at face value during the presale.

I don't really care what packages are offered. The more options the better as far as I'm concerned. People should buy what they feel like buying. Not sure what the issue is honestly. :shrug:

If they want to make some sort of charitible contribution, they could go about it better.

Like have a percentage of the tours proceeds going to (RED) or something.

okay so these red zone packages are the tickets around the ellipse not inside?
so pretty much if you have GA and dotn get inside the ellipse you wont be that close?
can someone please clear this up for me...

I believe this (RED) area is another concession between U2 and Live Nation - I am sure LN gets some of the excess over the normal GA price, but the band likely insisted that some of it also go to their charity.

I think that is the case. Live Nation has been losing money, and their stock price tanked. They need to generate more revenue, and they definitely have influence over pricing and seating arrangements.

I believe this (RED) area is another concession between U2 and Live Nation - I am sure LN gets some of the excess over the normal GA price, but the band likely insisted that some of it also go to their charity. Overall, I am happy with the way U2 has priced the tour.

Well, but does this justify it? It's U2 who signed the deal not?
I just don't like it at all.

correct me if im wrong, but In europe they typically havent done the scanning for the inner circle thing, where in america they do. Are they actually going to scan for the ellipse in europe this year, IE being the little soldier who stands for 24 hours may accomplish nothing if you dont get beeped in (welcome to the world of an american fan euro)..Just seems relevant because of all the surface area your loosing with Red Area. in USA im just not feeling so good about a GA ticket now, I either am in that 10% that beep in, or I'm on that big square off to the side, or behind the red area which nobody really knows the size of

I seriously don't get the outrage of people on this board over this - you don't like these tickets, fine, don't buy them. What's the problem? :shrug:

How many groups actually give their fans the opportunity to be so close to the stage at one of the cheapest prices in the stadium (I'm talking GA here). If they want to make a few bucks from some people who would like to be close to the stage but can't/don't want to do GA, more power to them. Last time I checked, U2 was not a non-profit agency.

I seriously don't get the outrage of people on this board over this - you don't like these tickets, fine, don't buy them. What's the problem? :shrug:

How many groups actually give their fans the opportunity to be so close to the stage at one of the cheapest prices in the stadium (I'm talking GA here). If they want to make a few bucks from some people who would like to be close to the stage but can't/don't want to do GA, more power to them. Last time I checked, U2 was not a non-profit agency.

but thats not the point. I would prefer to pay 85 euros in stead of 55 euros for GA (and 30 euros going to (RED)). and indeed they are not a non-profit agency. ...

This was announced last weekend in the Billboard article on U2 in a quote from Arthur Fogel.

but thats not the point. I would prefer to pay 85 euros in stead of 55 euros for GA (and 30 euros going to (RED)). and indeed they are not a non-profit agency. ...

So what is the point? I don't get why you (and others) are upset over what is basically standard practice in the concert industry these days. Especially with a group like U2, who still allow fans to buy tickets at a very cheap rate, with the opportunity that they could be front row. How does having a little section on each side of the stage change your concert enjoyment in any way? No one is forcing you to buy these tickets.

Honestly, I think some people just like to complain for the sake of finding something wrong with anything they do.

I want to be as close to the stage as possible, and, because my wife will be 6 months pregnant in Barcelona, require somewhere that she can sit. Perhaps my presale will get me great seats in the stands close to the stage - but if they don't, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with paying a premium to sit where I want - and the RedZone sounds perfect. I wouldn't pay thousands of Euros for two seats, but I would have no problem with 500 euros per seat (and I have NO IDEA if that's even in the ballpark of what these seats will go for). It's not scalping when it's sanctioned - it's capitalism. It's a quaint notion that people in the ellipse get the best bargain in the stadium, and it's VERY generous of U2 to allow that to happen - people need to remember that and take these two small seating areas with a grain of salt.

No matter what way they dress it up, that's exactly what it is. In the future, I suspect that all tickets will be auctioned off rather than sold.

Axver, I see you're rapidly closing in on 100,000 posts, and you seem to be the most prolific member on here. Just out of curiosity, how many posts would you make on an average day / week?

Go to his profile page, hit statistics. :wink:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/members/axver-26593.html
46,6 a day as for now. Our resident postwhore. :cute:

And this whole thing seems like scalpering by Ticketbastard to me. If the whole auction bid went to charity fine, but just a portion, AND 45 € Service tickets??? The fuck?

And this whole thing seems like scalpering by Ticketbastard to me. If the whole auction bid went to charity fine, but just a portion, AND 45 € Service tickets??? The fuck?

TM is merely running the auction - the artist and promoter have to approve it. The 45 euros can cover up to 4 tickets I think, so divide it by four.

And the high priced seat buyers are subsidizing the lower priced tickets:

"There are always people who want to pay the higher price to be in a well-located seat," Fogel says. "But the reality is there are so many different ways to come at this seating in terms of a$30 or $50 ticket. In a funny way the top-priced tickets are subsidizing the lower-priced tickets, which is as it should be."

I want to be as close to the stage as possible, and, because my wife will be 6 months pregnant in Barcelona, require somewhere that she can sit. Perhaps my presale will get me great seats in the stands close to the stage - but if they don't, I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with paying a premium to sit where I want - and the RedZone sounds perfect. I wouldn't pay thousands of Euros for two seats, but I would have no problem with 500 euros per seat (and I have NO IDEA if that's even in the ballpark of what these seats will go for). It's not scalping when it's sanctioned - it's capitalism. It's a quaint notion that people in the ellipse get the best bargain in the stadium, and it's VERY generous of U2 to allow that to happen - people need to remember that and take these two small seating areas with a grain of salt.

€1000 for 2 seats? seriously? :| Well I spose its nice that you're in a position where you're able to do that.

I have more of a problem that its an auction than the fact they want VIP seats. Auctions mean any of the less affluent people have no chance to save/economise for the likes of this, as theres effectively no price, and no price limit.

I also just dont like the idea of "queue/get lucky with the lottery and get near the stage with €60 tickets" or "pay €?? for a guarenteed space".
Theres just something about the whole "highest bidder" idea that really gets to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom