Viewpoints: Red zone vs. stage pit.. Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
The red zones are the two reserved areas on the outside of the walkway ring. They are more or less level with the walkways and have a number of seats attached to the railings as well.

The pit is on the other side of the wall - inside the ring. If you're in the pit, you're underneath the bridges, between the main stage and the walkway.

If anyone's been in both, which did you prefer?

I was in the red zone at Croke Park (27th) during the support acts, I was in the Cusack Stand for the main set and in the pit during the encore. Missed a bit of Ultraviolent while running down 5 flights of stairs at Croker but it was well worth it ;)

I found that in terms of viewing angles the red zone was better in that it's level with the walkway, while in the pit you feel as if you're "underneath" the band, so you see much more from the red zone. Also, you're not too close to the lighting effects so you get the full blast of them (whereas in the pit you can lose the effect since you're *inside* the circle of lights).

On the other hand, being in the pit was definitely a closer and more 'intimate' experience - you're literally right next to the band, and they occasionally wave at you and stuff :D. Also in terms of getting photos and camera clips the pit was much better. The downside of the pit, as I said above, is that the extending screen, the lights in the legs of the claw, and Moment of surrender's "disco ball" effect are lost somewhat. I imagine they would have looked better from the stands.

Did anyone here experience both and do you have any opinions? I was just curious as to what people preferred. All in all I found that the pit was more exciting, but obviously the band consider the red zone to be the best spot or they wouldn't have chosen it as the reserved area - am I an odd one out or does anyone agree?

PHotos of the view from the pit:
Imageshack - image087x
That's when the band are walking off at the end. I got a photo during With or without You as well but the amount of lighting ruined the pic:
Imageshack - image023g.jpg

Again that's inside the ring. I didn't get any pics in the red zone unfortunately as I was saving all my phone's memory for U2!

If anyone's been in both, which did you prefer?

The pit view is obviously better overall, but RZ has the advantage of less waiting and less density. Some RZ spots do have a great view, and the stage height is less noticeable (as you mentioned). In RZ, it's also easier to leave your spot and return.

Red zone would not be worth the money (at least not at the shows I attended). Stand right behind the red zone, and you get a great view and sound without the price. The three shows I saw I went back and forth from their and the Pit. The very front of the PIT is awful for this tour- the sound is atrocious. There was a big section right by Edge in Atlanta right against the barrier, and no one was there because the sound was so awful. I could tolerate standing there for about 2 minutes. You could only hear bono, and virtually nothing of the band. Even midway back in the pit, the mix was really, really poor.

The pit overall has a really cool atmosphere but the sound makes it very frustrating.

I will definitely do the same as I did for any other shows I see. Get into the pit area for some songs, but spend most of the time right behind the red zone.

I was in both: Red Zone (Amsterdam 1) and the pit (Dublin 1). To me, the only advantage of Red zone is the fact that you don't have to wait around all day: no early mornings, no standing in line all day, etc. Here you show up late, get in, have designated washroom, it's great. However, nothing compares to being right in the pit. The crowd in Dublin was great - well behaved, no pushing ... and as tired as you may be after many hourse you spend in line, the second opening beats of the 1st song start, you forget all about the pain in your legs, back ... :hyper: I didn't think I ever wanted to attempt to do GA. Now, I can hardly wait until Sept 2010

Oh no, didn't you know? Certain folks on this site have shown me the light - if you dare to show any weakness like, you know, basic human functions, you are a BAD FAN.

:rolleyes:

i think the red zone has their own shitters too

That is true. My brother had to go in between Muse and U2 at the Meadowlands and he saw a bunch of porto-potties in the back corner by the stage. He tried to use them but they said it was for Red Zone only. He then asked them "Oh so you're saying I should just throw up all over the side of them then?" and they let him use one. Obviously he didn't have to throw up but there was no way he was going to walk all that way to take a leak. I died when he got back into the pit and told me this :lol:

Back
Top Bottom