U2 vs AC/DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will gladly let an AC/DC fan try and prove me wrong on this one, but I don't think it's a huge leap to say: Yes. Yes, they are by a long shot.

U2 do have better lyrics than ACDC and I never said otherwise. However, some here are quick to forget the numerous dumb lyrics by Bono that are passed off/defended as something deep. Numerous "kneel/feels" or "fire/desires" and who can forget the "mole digging a hole".

ACDC don't hide the fact that nearly all their lyrics are intentionally silly double or single entendres. Though some lyrics do have political overtones that shouldn't be dismissed. Thy're not KISS or Motley Crue.

Of course, you have absolutely no bias or questionable thoughts.:wink:

"There are known knowns and unknow......"

Depends on what you would consider comparable. AC/DC can't even sellout a single stadium show in the biggest US market, New York City. Their arena shows do not sell seats behind the stage. In most markets when it comes to concert tours, AC/DC is more on the level of Coldplay than U2.

U2 have NEVER taken 5 years between albums. AC/DC since 1990 has taken on average 6 years between albums. U2's average since 1990 as been 3.5 years between albums.

ACDC are 10 years older so it's not quite fair. Plus ACDC had an record label injuction preventing a new album(later becoming Black Ice) from being released for 2-3 years. The numbers of albums from when band members were in their late 20's until age 50 would be a far more accurate comparison.

Actual ticket sales, not demand in the secondary ticket broker/scalper market determines success and the winner. AC/DC tickets on average are cheaper.

Secondary market tickets for many ACDC shows were going for hundreds, even to get the worst seat. They could have done stadiums last year but the tour started in the fall. Were ACDC numbers through 2008-Feb 2009 better than 360's projected US numbers in 2009?

They do not sell tickets behind the stage for their arena shows. They cannot sellout a SINGLE stadium show in the United States.

ACDC will probably play more Canadian Stadiums on the 2008-09 tour than U2 will play on the 2009-10 tour.

U2 by contrast is playing IN THE ROUND, for all 100 stadium shows they will play on U2 360 and will be setting the gross record in nearly every venue they play on tour as well as the attendance record. AC/DC won't be anywhere near U2 once both tours have been completed.

ACDC don't sell $30 tickets.

"There are known knowns and unknow......"
So is this your way of explaining that you have no bias?:wink:

ACDC are 10 years older so it's not quite fair. Plus ACDC had an record label injuction preventing a new album(later becoming Black Ice) from being released for 2-3 years. The numbers of albums from when band members were in their late 20's until age 50 would be a far more accurate comparison.

Does not matter. You were the one that set up the comparison, and I simply showed that it was inaccurate. Over the last 20 years, U2 have put out new material at nearly twice the rate of AC/DC.

Secondary market tickets for many ACDC shows were going for hundreds, even to get the worst seat. They could have done stadiums last year but the tour started in the fall. Were ACDC numbers through 2008-Feb 2009 better than 360's projected US numbers in 2009?

AC/DC have NEVER done a stadium tour of the United States. They clearly could not have done one last fall. The fact that it was done in the fall does not mean one cannot play stadiums. U2's 2nd leg of the Joshua Tree North American tour started in mid September and ended 5 days before Christmas, with multiple stadium shows being played in November and December in North America.

The first 8 shows of U2's North American 360 tour will outgross all 42 shows played by AC/DC in North America to this point.

ACDC will probably play more Canadian Stadiums on the 2008-09 tour than U2 will play on the 2009-10 tour.

AC/DC will have played 8 stadium shows by the time their tour finishes, just one more than U2 did on POPMART.

U2 are scheduled to play 3 stadium shows in Canada on their first North American Leg and will probably play another 3 stadium shows on the second Canadian Leg. But, U2 shows are played IN THE ROUND, using all the seats in the stadium unlike AC/DC. Although AC/DC is more competitive with U2 in the Canadian market, U2 will still finish ahead in total attendance and total gross in Canada.

ACDC don't sell $30 tickets.

Actually, AC/DC does have tickets as low as $37.50. In any event, the fact that U2 has $30 dollar tickets, makes it more difficult to achieve a higher gross. Yet, despite that, they will still be outgrossing AC/DC in nearly every single market around the world by a considerable margin.

U2 is doing a full stadium tour across the globe with every show in the round. AC/DC is doing arena's and some stadiums, but with no in the round seating, even for Arena's. Again, AC/DC are on Coldplay's level, not U2 when it comes to concert attendance and gross.

does anyone else like lifting weights when they listen to AC/DC? i love lifting weights to AC/DC.

comparing u2 to another band is the old apples to oranges thing, it's not a fair comparison. i tend to not like these threads anyway as they just start a bunch of arguing and bickering. if you think u2 are greedy then fine. i think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom