U2 Tour 2009: All stadiums in US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if U2 releases an album in the Fall of 2008, they'll probably start touring in March or April of 2009. I really don't think that U2 is ever going to do a stadium tour again in the US. The only time I could see them playing in a US stadium would be if it was for some sort of special show.

Stadium shows are fun when you're 19 and/or don't care where you end up. I'm too old for that sh!t. I like to actually see the performers vs. watching them on a video screen.

And, Nick, AT&T Park in SF sucks as a concert venue (but better than the Coliseum in Oakland). Saw Dave Matthews from a lux box there and I might as well have been watching from my living room. Dave was the size of an ant and video screens were so far away.

Arenas, please!

Yes finally they go bigger and not so many shows in the US is ok, i would suggest they show some more love to europe this time and give them two legs for once.

And go back to south africa, sarajevo etc.

I guess it doesn't matter to me what they do. I kind of hope for a different look on this tour. The heart/oval was a great idea, but really hoping it can be replaced with something else (and not another freaking shape!). Maybe just have GA, and have it just be in front of the stage.

I agree that the arenas sound much better, but sometimes it's the atmosphere of a stadium that's great.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd prefer if U2 wouldn't tour for a while and instead just plug out albums. Just kind of pains me to think that we'll get this new album this year, a tour over the next 2-3 years, and then we'll have another lull before the next music. But they love to perform live, so who am I to get in the way.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd prefer if U2 wouldn't tour for a while and instead just plug out albums. Just kind of pains me to think that we'll get this new album this year, a tour over the next 2-3 years, and then we'll have another lull before the next music. But they love to perform live, so who am I to get in the way.

I pretty much feel the same way. I look forward to hearing new material more than seeing them live. It is kind of a downer when a new album comes out and you realize you're not going to get another one for about a half a decade.

Thanks for the info 4U2Play! (It's always great to "read" you :wave:)

If I could choose, I'd love a mixture of stadiums-arenas, just like the Vertigo Tour (US/Canada Arenas, Europe/SouthAmerica Stadiums).

And I'm excited about the new album but to be honest I wish the tour started later next year (not March), I need to save a bit more money.....:doh:

In an U2 show, a stadium's atmosphere is miles much better than the arena one.
I really hope the play less shows in the US (Vertigo tour: 79 in the US vs 33 in Europe?!!!) and pay more attention to some cities and countries they have been forgetting. Why not getting back to Sarajevo or to Telaviv, for instance, or to Johanesburg? What about a show in... Morocco?
So, I am for an all stadium tour.

ugh, don't like stadium shows

I'm not so keen either, i much preferred the layout of the stage/ellipse in Canada/USA. It was much more intimate. Much closer to the band aswell if you're front rail. :love:

Weather in early spring is rather unpredictable in a sizeable chunk of the US, so I don't think all stadiums are a good idea if the tour would indeed start in March.

Yeah in some places there will still be snow won't there. :ohmy:
coldsmiley2.gif

Thats why Europe's stadium shows are in the summer months.

My memory is kinda failing me right now on how it worked for europe. I see that you are from there but for reasons maybe besides what I mentioned that seems to be the theme for the US, nothing against the europe. From I what remember they mainly did stadiums in europe. I know for the UK there are good arenas there and a few other countries besides (main markets). I think they have a slightly huger following in Europe too that they need the stadiums to accomodate as one of many factors. I think the overall vibe (still a certain kind of intimacy but definitely different) at shows is different for the rest of the world (Europe and beyond) compared to the US. Maybe there are things like costs, logistics, availability issues etc that factor into why they have been doing the last couple of tours at least and probably more this way.

I agree. If they had to play an arena in Manchester for example they have to do twice as many shows in the city to play to the same capacity, maybe even 5 nights. In stadiums they play to more people, bigger acts like U2 mostly play stadiums in Europe now. Maybe though they will surprise everyone, but i doubt it.

Yes finally they go bigger and not so many shows in the US is ok, i would suggest they show some more love to europe this time and give them two legs for once.

And go back to south africa, sarajevo etc.

I doubt Europe would get 2 legs :( unless they maybe did surprise us and play arenas. There would be demand for more dates then. :wink:

I agree with those that say it would be nice to see them playing places they hane't played before/or in a long time but i guess that depends on costs and logistics.

On and please keep the ellipse/heart but get rid of the scanning tickets.

I guess alot of the way they will tour this time does depend on the mood of the album. :hmm:

The Sunday Mirror
July 13, 2008

U2 are being lined up as the first act to play the revamped Point when it becomes the O2.

Owner Harry Crosbie is anxious to open the revamped Dublin venue with a big bang -- and he is a close pal with all four members of the band and their manager Paul McGuinness, music industry insiders yesterday revealed.

The Irish rockers will have just completed their latest album when the brand new theatre reopens in December so it would be the perfect time for a headline-grabbing gig in their hometown.

A music industry source said: "There is massive speculation about who is going to open the place and who better than them?

"U2 used the Point for rehearsals before it actually opened its doors, and filmed some of their Rattle and Hum movie there so it's part of their history.

"It was also at a performance there that Bono told the crowd they were taking a long break from the business to reinvent themselves.

"When they returned they had abandoned all their old trappings of Americana in favour of a modern, more European sound. Nothing's signed, but what better way to open the place than have them do it?"

Previously known as the Point Theatre, joint-owner and developer Harry Crosbie has hooked up with both O2 and Live Nation for the venture, which will see the venue renamed The O2.

He has been involved in several business ventures with U2 and discovered the Hanover Quay Studios for them -- where their last three albums were recorded.

It is actually situated right besides the house where Harry and his wife Rita live.

Since the Point closed for complete refurbishment last year, visiting acts have either played the hangar-like RDS or, like Kylie Minogue, skipped the capital Dublin entirely and performed their Irish gigs in Belfast's Odyssey Arena instead. It is believed that major acts are already being booked by Live Nation for The O2 for next year, including Tina Turner, who is making a comeback, Elton John and Bryan Adams.

Further speculation is now rife that U2 will play the opening night of the new O2 venue. Harry Crosbie has erected a billboard three stories high outside the venue with a giant photo of the band and the declaration "You Are Now Entering The Northside."

The area is being totally redeveloped and Crosbie arranged for the gigantic hoarding which captures U2 when their debut album Boy was released.

Next week remastered editions of Boy, along with October and War, are released worldwide.

I guess since they're very good friends with the guy who owns it, theres a huge change they will play that gig. :hmm: Unless something else comes up. First chance to hear new songs live? Count me in if i can afford it. :hyper: Thats 1 European arena gig i'd love to see. :drool:

I can't believe they changed the name though. :sad:

Thanks for the article.

This is the billboard pic that they are are on about.

point_enteringthenorthside.jpg

:waiting: Waits to see if anything is confirmed in the next coming months. :wink:

BEAL: Do we even have any evidence that U2 are thinking about stadiums?

No, but I recall Paul McGuinness say something about the next tour being huge and maybe we should have played some stadiums already on the Vertigo tour (bcouse every show was sold out).

U2Fanatic4ever: My memory is kinda failing me right now on how it worked for europe.

In Europe there simply is no other choice. Indoor venues - with very few exceptions like the O2 in London - are too small.

I would love to see a stadium show somewhere in South America or Europe, but they can seriously suck in the states. There's nothing exciting about sitting on the far end of a football stadium next to a bunch of people sitting on their hands and squinting at the stage.

And, Nick, AT&T Park in SF sucks as a concert venue (but better than the Coliseum in Oakland). Saw Dave Matthews from a lux box there and I might as well have been watching from my living room. Dave was the size of an ant and video screens were so far away.

Hi Mathilde :wave:
I hate stadium shows as much as the next person, whether it's smaller baseball parks or not. Green Day at AT&T especially sucked, since I saw them again a week later at the Warfield where they played for 4.5 hours.. guess which show I liked better :hmm:

Thanks for the info 4U2Play! (It's always great to "read" you )

Hey Fernando!! Como estas, Amigo!! Keep saving your money, bro, I plan on going back to Japan in 2010, you better be there. If U2 does do an all-stadium tour in the US/Canada this time, I'll probably see less shows here and save my money for the Mexico/South America and Australia/New Zealand shows instead. I'll be poor, but happy.

Please keep my email:

U2kidz@hotmail.com

and write to me when the dates are announced. Mi casa es su casa, please come to California and see all the shows here, you will be my guest, so no excuses about money :wink:

As for the stadium rumor, I heard it from a friend of a friend who works deep inside U2 World. Which means the rumor is nearly worthless, so take it for what it's worth

:sad:im going to be away in september and october

im going on a camping trip for 6 weeks hope i can find a shop that sells the new u2 single

In Europe there simply is no other choice. Indoor venues - with very few exceptions like the O2 in London - are too small.

That's indeed the problem in Europe: however, with the opening of a new O2-arena in Dublin, rumours about U2 playing gigs in the London O2 in Autumn might there be a small and tiny change of U2 playing a short European Tour in October-December??

Venues are small in Europe, but in Holland they could play the Gelredome (30.000), in Paris the've got Bercy (17.500??) and a number of other places like e.g. Koenig Pilsner Arena in Oberhausen....

Don't forget that the European Elevation Tour was more or less an indoor arena tour...

Well, I guess I'm just drifting away in my fantasies......:sad:

Meh, stadiums. I've saw the arena shows in DC and a stadium show in Auckland, and while I LOVED the performance in Auckland (hell, I was in fucking New Zealand AND the played OTH!!!), I much prefer the smaller setting. You can still have a big show in an arena--it all depends on the energy of the crowd and the band. In terms of lights, screens, effects, etc....sure, they're fantastic in the stadium. But they're best viewed from afar...while I'd prefer to be right up front with the band. I was second row GA in Auckland with Axver and was thrilled to be up front..BUT 1). you get the full effect of the stage when you're up front, and 2). the individual band members are spaced further apart in the stadium setting, making it hard to really be "up front" with the band in a stadium show.

So in the end, the best way to view a stadium show is on dvd. That way you get the far-off shots of the great stage setup, AND you get the up-close views of the band. In real life, however, give me an arena show. Hell, I'd die for a club show. :faint:

The best thing about the stadium is the atmos. A dvd will never be able to capture the atmos.

The best thing about the stadium is the atmos. A dvd will never be able to capture the atmos.

Only if you're viewing it from afar. If you're up close, you don't get that. I could barely tell that there were thousands of people behind me. I'd argue that Slane did a decent job of capturing the feeling of the show. A dvd won't be perfect no matter what the venue is--there's nothing like going to a show in person. But I'd take the atmosphere of a "close and personal" arena show and the closeness to the band that the arena provides over a great atmosphere and view of lights and screens at a stadium any day.

Everybody write this down:

They will not play stadiums in the US this tour, or any other tour.

That's over and done. All the speculation and hope in the world will not change it.

You Americans are spoiled with arena shows alone..... .....says a somewhat jealous European... :p

Back
Top Bottom