U2 Secret GIG in Chicago - March 10th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They had a couple of shots of the crowd on the news last night. It looks like they have the same security guys again this time around.

Evidently they went to some restaurant in Bucktown after the show and hung out there for some time... :drool:

Here is a picture that Chicago Tribune posted on their website from the show last night

u2Chicago.jpg

I love the cake! :lol:

Did anything happen with the woman that asked a question and Shirely said "Denied!"? It was really weird over the radio.

Thanks Lila & kelly!!

We didn't even hear what the woman asked when Shirley said that. If it was about a picture with Bono which is what I think I was reading from some of you, it's a little understandable that she said no because there were zero cameras and cell phones allowed. One guy at the end during the autographs tried to take a pic with his cell phone and a security guy came over and he's like, you want to lose that? then put it away!

There was also someone who tried to ask a question about Garbage and she was like, tonight is not about me and wouldn't answer it.

best. night. ever. but that's probably because I was there and not trying to listen to the broadcast, which was chaotic :lol: will give a full report tomorrow but the highlights for me:

-getting my Elevation tour book signed by all 4 (yes, even LARRY!), and getting our pic of our U2 wedding cake signed by 3 of the 4.
-my husband getting to ask Bono a question
-being up against the stage, the guys were less than 5 feet away the entire time
-taking it all in, knowing that I'll probably never ever have a moment like that again :heart:
-noticing that Bono really does like to talk, which probably added to the crazy broadcast on the radio :lol:
-Shirley Manson :love:

good night!:hyper:

u2142.jpg

u2143.jpg

:applaud: . . .WOW . . .Congratulations guys - what a brilliant experience and can I just say, that cake is MAGNIFICENT!!! Love it . . . :yes:

Here's my rambling take on last night. It was incredibly surreal for me. A lot of this is a repeat, but here it goes:Shirley Manson from Garbage did a Q & A session with them in between playing their favorite songs. Each of them would talk about why they liked that particular artist/song, etc. (BTW, Larry really likes Arcade Fire). My husband and I were on the first bus to arrive; so, we were in the front row up next to the stage :applaud:to the right. We had to stand for two hours, but it was worth it. U2 came out and Bono and Adam sat on the couch right in front of us. I shook Bono's hand. Larry and Edge sat on the couch to the left of us. During a break, Bono leaned down and asked us about the Chicago northside/southside thing. Some girl mentioned that the northside was better. I told him that I was from the southside. He talked about the north side vs. south side thing in Dublin. The crowd was able to ask questions during commercial breaks. When they played one of Bono's favorite song's, Leonard Cohen's "Halleluja", we all sang the chorus together and it was pretty cool. Someone asked about the song "Magnificient" and Bono did say that it was more of a liturgical song (listen to the words). Edge was asked about "Red Hill Mining Town" (one of his favorite songs) and he said that it's Joe Elliot's (Def Leppard) favorite song as well. Adam said that his favorite song right now on the new album is “Cedars of Lebanon”. Someone in the audience gave him props for his bass playing on NLOTH - Bono loved that.

During a commercial break, a man behind us got Bono’s attention and told him that his daughter was born with spina bifida and that they named her Grace after their song “Grace”. He was very touched by it.

It was all very surreal. I literally could extend my arm out and touch Bono; Edge was filming us on his phone. We weren't allowed to bring in our cell phones or cameras or else they would be confiscated and for me to be without my camera at an event like this is painful.

At the end, they stayed around to sign autographs and I was able to get my Joshua Tree CD cover signed by Bono (I think he noticed my "One" t-shirt) and the Edge (almost had Adam’s autograph, too; and Larry stayed to left side and didn't stay very long). I was pinned up against the stage by some crazy dudes who were totally obnoxious. When Bono left our area, he thanked us for coming out and said that he hoped to see us in Sept. I shook Edge's hand before he left, too. Overall, a pretty amazing way to spend a Tuesday night for this girl. :applaud:

Thanks

So here’s what happened yesterday :hyper: I am really tired so this might be a little long.

My husband and I got to the hotel around 2:45 (Hotel Raffaelo). Of course, no one else was there. I know it was super early but we wanted to be there with plenty of time. We left and walked around the shops downtown for a bit but we were both too anxious so we went back to the hotel a little before 4pm. The lobby is really small, so it was surprising that they would pick this as a meeting place for all the winners. Granted, it’s smaller and out of the way, so I’m guessing it made sense to avoid a “scene”.

Anyway, more and more people started filing in. We met a couple who had won tickets from a station in Indianapolis, a few people from Milwaukee, and one guy from Baton Rouge, Lousiana! He had won a contest from a local station in his town and they flew him here and put him up at the hotel. Around 5pm a guy announced to get in line so we could get checked in and get our wristbands. After that point, we had to wait for the buses to come get us. We were lucky and managed to get on the first bus, only a few rows back. Our bus had a few execs from Interscope on it. We tried to eavesdrop a bit on their conversations but the only dish we got was that all the media/promoters would be in the balcony and the winners would get to be on the floor. Someone asked if Larry was feeling better from the night before, and he said he thought so but wasn’t sure. Thought Larry had hurt his neck while on the drums or something. We’re almost at the Metro and then we see another one of our buses and most of us are wondering how the heck the other bus beat us there. So one of the Interscope guys goes up to the driver and just asks him to stop the bus. So there we are on a very busy Clarke Street just a few feet past the Metro and the guy tells us to get off very quickly since we were holding up traffic. Off we go, dashing across the street (thankfully cars had stopped). I realized then and there that I needed a belt for my jeans. As I was running, they were slipping :lol:

We made it inside and dashed up two small flights of stairs, and secured two spots right against the stage!! There was a blue velvet curtain backdrop and two black couches, 4 microphones, along with a silver chair (for Shirley). Our spots meant that the boys were no more than 5 feet away from us :ohmy: I tried to pay attention to details last night because I figured, this may never happen again in my life. Larry was wearing all black with black and red platform shoes. Edge with his beanie, green and black shirt, black jeans and black and white Pumas. Adam had a maroon shirt, black jeans I think, and black shoes with buckles. Bono had his pink tinted glasses (Armani, right?), a black jacket with embroidery on it, dark blue jeans and brown boots with zippers. Seriously, would I have ever paid attention if I wasn’t that close? :lol: There were several hundred of us and a lot of people seemed to have their own stories to tell and memorabilia. A woman next to me had a picture of Bono after a show during Zoo TV and compared to today, he looked like a little baby, so young!

Shirley came out and less than a minute later the boys came out. It was like, wow…holy crap there they are. I couldn’t stop staring yet I had to keep looking around because you couldn’t look at them all at once. Larry smiled a bit during the show but looked uncomfortable…I’d be too with all of our eyes staring. We were a loud bunch and it was hard to hear Shirley at times. I thought right from the beginning her mic was too low. The songs started playing and that’s when we could ask questions. Most of the questions were common I think…how do they stay together after so long, what is your favorite song to play live (Larry’s reply to this was that he always thought his favorite song hasn’t been written yet), what favorite concerts have you been to, what Bono’s secret to a good marriage is after being with Ali so long (part of his reply included that even after all this time he still doesn’t completely know her yet and that he keeps her very close to him). Of course someone asked about the whole ticket fiasco last tour and when tickets were going on sale. There weren’t a lot of questions about the new album. My husband asked why so many of the albums don’t have a title after one of the tracks but this one does. I’m paraphrasing here but Bono’s response was there was something special about this album and that song, and he referenced about looking on the water and watching the horizon and the water become the same color…etc.

Someone asked if there are any plans for Edge to sing solo again and Bono shot up from the couch and yelled No! :lol: it was pretty funny. And then when Adam was explaining about one of his favorite songs and mentioned the bass player was really good, Bono said oh yeah and there’s good singing too. Adam again said, the bass playing is great :lol: I don’t know how much of this anyone heard on the radio, since apparently you could hear us even while songs were playing :doh: There were a few moments when we were supposed to be back live on the air after a song and the producer guy just disappeared. Shirley was scrambling to figure out what her next cue was. I know how unorganized you all thought this was and it was even more so in person. It didn’t help that Bono was rambling even after she’s like we’re coming back on! :lol: The next question was being asked and he was still responding to someone else. Before you knew it we were coming up on the last song, by Leonard Cohen. Bono sang part of the Hallelujah chorus with us and that was cool. Just like that it was over and Shirley was thanking us and them for coming. Then the squishing and pushing began a bit as we all tried to get stuff signed. My husband got our Elevation tour book signed. I think we were the last ones to get Larry before he went to the other side of the stage. Adam, Edge and Bono all laughed when they saw our wedding cake pic. I think they were trying to figure out what they were looking at and we told them it was our cake. Larry was the first to leave but they all stayed awhile to sign stuff, it was really cool.

So there you have it. We went back outside to get our bus ride back and ran in to Shannon (BonosBaby12) and her husband waiting outside in hopes of seeing them. We got home a little after 11pm and we were exhausted but still pretty wired from it all.

:heart:

THANKS FOR THE POST....IT WAS GREAT MEETING YOU YESTERDAY AND SHARING THAT EXPERIENCE. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS THERE. The Boston broadcast is wonderful. You did a great job re-hashing the events of Chicago. One of the most incredible points of the night was singing with BONO!!! Also, my personal interaction with each of the members...Adam, thank you for the chat! I am super excited for September and can't wait to hear MAGNIFICANT live. CHEERS EVERYONE.

THANKS FOR THE POST....IT WAS GREAT MEETING YOU YESTERDAY AND SHARING THAT EXPERIENCE. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS THERE. The Boston broadcast is wonderful. You did a great job re-hashing the events of Chicago. One of the most incredible points of the night was singing with BONO!!! Also, my personal interaction with each of the members...Adam, thank you for the chat! I am super excited for September and can't wait to hear MAGNIFICANT live. CHEERS EVERYONE.

Yay! It was cool to meet you too! What an awesome night (other than the broadcast part of it apparently :lol: ).

Here's my rambling take on last night. It was incredibly surreal for me. A lot of this is a repeat, but here it goes:Shirley Manson from Garbage did a Q & A session with them in between playing their favorite songs. Each of them would talk about why they liked that particular artist/song, etc. (BTW, Larry really likes Arcade Fire). My husband and I were on the first bus to arrive; so, we were in the front row up next to the stage :applaud:to the right. We had to stand for two hours, but it was worth it. U2 came out and Bono and Adam sat on the couch right in front of us. I shook Bono's hand. Larry and Edge sat on the couch to the left of us. During a break, Bono leaned down and asked us about the Chicago northside/southside thing. Some girl mentioned that the northside was better. I told him that I was from the southside. He talked about the north side vs. south side thing in Dublin. The crowd was able to ask questions during commercial breaks. When they played one of Bono's favorite song's, Leonard Cohen's "Halleluja", we all sang the chorus together and it was pretty cool. Someone asked about the song "Magnificient" and Bono did say that it was more of a liturgical song (listen to the words). Edge was asked about "Red Hill Mining Town" (one of his favorite songs) and he said that it's Joe Elliot's (Def Leppard) favorite song as well. Adam said that his favorite song right now on the new album is “Cedars of Lebanon”. Someone in the audience gave him props for his bass playing on NLOTH - Bono loved that.

During a commercial break, a man behind us got Bono’s attention and told him that his daughter was born with spina bifida and that they named her Grace after their song “Grace”. He was very touched by it.

It was all very surreal. I literally could extend my arm out and touch Bono; Edge was filming us on his phone. We weren't allowed to bring in our cell phones or cameras or else they would be confiscated and for me to be without my camera at an event like this is painful.

At the end, they stayed around to sign autographs and I was able to get my Joshua Tree CD cover signed by Bono (I think he noticed my "One" t-shirt) and the Edge (almost had Adam’s autograph, too; and Larry stayed to left side and didn't stay very long). I was pinned up against the stage by some crazy dudes who were totally obnoxious. When Bono left our area, he thanked us for coming out and said that he hoped to see us in Sept. I shook Edge's hand before he left, too. Overall, a pretty amazing way to spend a Tuesday night for this girl. :applaud:

THANK U 2 U for sharing your experience. It was an amazing night. Your recollections are assisting me in my quest to journal what happened to me last night. I was at the stage, just to the left of you. It is still surreal! YEAH.

awesome wedding cake! did they have anything to say about that? That's gotta be a first.

My wife and I also had a U2 themed cake for our wedding this past May 10th. We met as a result of U2, so we had a cake topper made of Bono singing to the 2 of us.

When Bono and Edge were here in Los Angeles for the BB King tribute at the Kodak Theater, my wife was able to show Bono the photo of the cake topper and have it signed by him. He loved it, but in her excitement she forgot to give him the copy of the photo she had brought for him. When the guys came to town for the Grammys, she was able to give Bono a copy of the photo and got a great reaction from him again with a hug and a kiss.

DSC00709.JPG

My wife and I also had a U2 themed cake for our wedding this past May 10th. We met as a result of U2, so we had a cake topper made of Bono singing to the 2 of us.

When Bono and Edge were here in Los Angeles for the BB King tribute at the Kodak Theater, my wife was able to show Bono the photo of the cake topper and have it signed by him. He loved it, but in her excitement she forgot to give him the copy of the photo she had brought for him. When the guys came to town for the Grammys, she was able to give Bono a copy of the photo and got a great reaction from him again with a hug and a kiss.

DSC00709.JPG

That is so cool.

My wife and I met through the firework magazine in the late 80's. We now have 2 U2 kids 7 & 10. :up:

Chicago u2 photos Metro

Did anyone take any photos outside the Metro on Tuesday they can post?

DSC00709.JPG

Awwwww that's so cute! :cute: Im happy that your wife was able to give Bono a copy of the picture.

DSC00709.JPG

Love the cake! Very cool that Bono signed it and your wife gave him a copy :up: He laughed when he saw our picture of our cake :) I think even after all this time all of them are surprised to the lengths the fans go to.

Back
Top Bottom