U2 in Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budvarka

The Fly
Wonder when was the last time U2 did tour Africa? Thk they must have showed up in South Africa, but did they have any other dates there?

Cape Town and Johannesburg in March 1998 to end the Popmart tour. Those are the only shows U2 has played in Africa. A show in Egypt was rumored for early October 1997, right after the Tel Aviv show, but it never happened. Bono and The Edge alsoplayed at the 46664 concert.

Incomes are probably too low in Africa to cover the cost of taking the show there. Although I'm sure some of Bono's contacts in high places there might be bending his ear about a gig. It'd be great if it could happen.

The World Cup is in South Africa in Summer 2010. I'm sure there will be enough $$$ in town to support a couple of shows.

I'd go back to South Africa in a heart beat. Be careful in Durban (its the South Beach of Africa and dangerous) Cape Town got a nice shopping area off the ocean I forgot the name of it. Plus you can get Beer cheap.

I'd go back to South Africa in a heart beat. Be careful in Durban (its the South Beach of Africa and dangerous) Cape Town got a nice shopping area off the ocean I forgot the name of it. Plus you can get Beer cheap.

Waterfront ;)

The World Cup is in South Africa in Summer 2010. I'm sure there will be enough $$$ in town to support a couple of shows.

Well that'd be nice. Ireland beat England in the World Cup in the afternoon and then U2 play a concert in the evening.

A bit like Ireland 1 - 0 Holland followed by U2 @ Slane :)

Man, hope Bono doesn't preach about Africa at those concerts. That could be a bit awkward. :wink:

The World Cup is coming here next year. U2, make it happen!!!

There are plenty of affluent people here to throw their money at you guys. :wink:

Incomes are probably too low in Africa to cover the cost of taking the show there.

If they really cared strongly about playing there they could always play smaller / cheaper shows sans claw - The music should be first

Well that'd be nice. Ireland beat England in the World Cup in the afternoon and then U2 play a concert in the evening.

A bit like Ireland 1 - 0 Holland followed by U2 @ Slane :)

Now you're living in fantasyland :sexywink:

Would love to see 'em do a couple of super-affordable (free?) shows in Africa. I'm sure logistics would be nightmarish, but it'd be worth it. I have to think the band has considered it, but have decided that for whatever reason, they can't do it right now?

Cool post topic btw.

There aren't many places in Africa where the demographic is such that a standard U2 show would be feasible. There are few cities between Cairo and Johannesburg where even a modest U2 show would not be outlandish. Theoretically they could play in a city like Dakar, Accra or Nairobi, but the vast majority of attendees would be wealthy expats. Even if they lowered the ticket prices and played at a loss, they'd be facing an audience that was either unsympathetic to Bono's political causes or else had no experience of U2's music or anything like it. I imagine that playing in the Arab world (North Africa) poses political difficulties that could potentially undermine whatever integrity the band has. And South Africa is unlikely to be visited unless the band is on a long-term world tour. Johannesburg was never visited after Popmart, but Asia and the Pacific - Tokyo, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland - were skipped for several tours too. As much as it would give U2 street cred to play a show in Africa, I don't know that it would serve much purpose in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom