U2 has a costly meeting with the NFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I call bullshit!

There have been so many rumours surrounding this damn screen.

It can be dropped and stored underground.

There was a rumour that U2's tour actually played a part in the modification of this screen.

Do you honestly think U2 would fork over 2 million just to play there? What the hell would they gain doing this? They could play the old stadium or the cotton bowl and not have to lose money to play.

Yeah, funny how that story has changed over time. The original story had Jerry Jones paying to have the screen raised (I think it was a couple of hundred thousand dollars) in order to get the U2 concert in the new Cowboys Stadium (not U2 paying).

I call bullshit!

There have been so many rumours surrounding this damn screen.

It can be dropped and stored underground.

There was a rumour that U2's tour actually played a part in the modification of this screen.

Do you honestly think U2 would fork over 2 million just to play there? What the hell would they gain doing this? They could play the old stadium or the cotton bowl and not have to lose money to play.

I think dropping the screen and storing it underground is one of the rumors.

If it costs $2M to raise it *25 feet*...what would the cost be to drop it completely, tuck it away for a day or two and then raise it back up 90 feet?

This tour was made for the new stadium...both the old stadium and the cotton bowl are dumps.

This is really a case of Billionaires (jones) fighting Billionaires (the NFL) and U2 is kinda stuck in the middle.

Someone needs to realize that once you've spent $1.2 BILLION DOLLARS on a stadium, what's another $2 million when it's 1/10th of 1 percent of the overall pricetag

-dan

I've got to find a screen capture of Jones' face when the punt hit the screen--dumbf*ck.
If you can't play the game or host a concert, what is the point of the new stadium?

Mark

The bottom line is that the screen was already in compliance with the NFL distance requirement, in fact from what I understand it was actually placed higher.

No one is being forced to raise it for the games, they had agreed to raise it for the concert due to sight line issues, the changes that will be done now are to allow the screen to be raised and lowered when needed which came about because of what happened at Friday's game. Not sure why no one thought that was a good idea to have that flexibility to begin with.

I think dropping the screen and storing it underground is one of the rumors.

If it costs $2M to raise it *25 feet*...what would the cost be to drop it completely, tuck it away for a day or two and then raise it back up 90 feet?

This tour was made for the new stadium...both the old stadium and the cotton bowl are dumps.

This is really a case of Billionaires (jones) fighting Billionaires (the NFL) and U2 is kinda stuck in the middle.

Someone needs to realize that once you've spent $1.2 BILLION DOLLARS on a stadium, what's another $2 million when it's 1/10th of 1 percent of the overall pricetag

-dan

That's what I was saying, the underground storage was one of the rumours.

And I agree both stadiums are dumps... but this new one is very pricey mistake. It's getting ripped to shreds in architectural/ design circles for not being good for anything but football(which come to find out isn't really the case) and Jerry's ego.

That's what I was saying, the underground storage was one of the rumours.

And I agree both stadiums are dumps... but this new one is very pricey mistake. It's getting ripped to shreds in architectural/ design circles for not being good for anything but football(which come to find out isn't really the case) and Jerry's ego.

its a football stadium first....what do you expect? Hence the name "Cowboys Stadium"

its a football stadium first....what do you expect? Hence the name "Cowboys Stadium"

That's the problem, every other stadium these days are designed for multi-purpose, this one is getting bagged on for being so short sighted but still trying to be multi-purpose.

It's shit design.

That's the problem, every other stadium these days are designed for multi-purpose, this one is getting bagged on for being so short sighted but still trying to be multi-purpose.

It's shit design.
exactly.

it's pretty much just a football stadium. since jerry has the money to not give a fuck about only having football games there, it's disingenuous to offer the venue up for other events if it will then cost the user more to use it - if that is the case.

at the end of the day though, live nation/u2/whoever chose to play there knowing what the stadium was going to be like.

Part of the draw of the marketing draw of this tour seems to be that it is in massive football/rugby stadiums, and generally the nicest stadiums that their money can buy. I think U2 would almost see it as degrading to play in the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium.

Part of the draw of the marketing draw of this tour seems to be that it is in massive football/rugby stadiums, and generally the nicest stadiums that their money can buy. I think U2 would almost see it as degrading to play in the Cotton Bowl or Texas Stadium.

This doesn't explain Nice or Sheffield.

I think this is a sad statement for Texas(and there are quite a few:lol:) but to have such a failure in a metroplex that has now three stadiums and not one up to par for this type of event. Houston having a decent stadium. San Antonio having a stadium that does almost nothing and the sound is shit. And the only decent music city in this state, Austin, not being able to accomodate them...

It's fucking embarassing.

Low sales?

I'm still trying to figure out the correlation the poster was trying to make...

It was cancelled the day of the show, and the official word was that the big screen was damaged. But a lot of people suspect the real reason was low sales. (Which sounds plausible, but other gigs with comparably low sales went ahead ... I guess they didn't have convenient excuses for those ones.)

It was cancelled the day of the show, and the official word was that the big screen was damaged. But a lot of people suspect the real reason was low sales. (Which sounds plausible, but other gigs with comparably low sales went ahead ... I guess they didn't have convenient excuses for those ones.)

If it was day of, then I'd be suprised if it was truly low sales... no one ever expects last minute ticket drops to save them.

Even Paul Mc$$$$ is that much of an asshole.

It's shit design.

you must be a texan fan ;) LOL

Oh god, I didn't realise they were even playing a show at that stadium.

I'm not really convinced that the massive screen was a good idea in the first place, but I am still completely impressed by it. The exterior of the stadium is kind of ugly though.

Back
Top Bottom