U2 has a costly meeting with the NFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3744413414_462d0bfa2e.jpg

it's a bit steep

They should have a mini-claw for instances like this...but I don't think it will be that big of a problem because they won't have the stage in the middle of the ground, they'd have it at one of the ends.

Wow, that many Texans would go to a soccer match?

the US & Jerry is trying to get the World Cup back to the states with the stadium hosting the final

there were a 3 matches last month:

New Cowboys Stadium hosts first event—a soccer match | News | Green Media

Mexico beat Haiti 4-0 and Costa Rica beat Guadeloupe 5-1 in the CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarterfinal matches held at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington July 19

82,252 fans attended the games

57,229 Soccer Fans Attend Chelsea FC vs Club America at Cowboys Stadium

In the final match of the World Football Challenge, Chelsea FC of the English Premiere League defeated Mexico’s popular Club America 2-0 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. A crowd of 57,229 gathered to watch Chelsea’s victory which clinched the championship in the six-game round robin tournament played at various venues across the United States and featuring four of the top teams in world soccer: Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter-Milan, and Club America.

the stadium is also trying to get into the final four (college basketball) rotation. there's a UNC/Texas game in December

it is also hosting the NBA (pro basketball) all-star game next february

They should have a mini-claw for instances like this...but I don't think it will be that big of a problem because they won't have the stage in the middle of the ground, they'd have it at one of the ends.

the claw will be at the end of the field, but the problem will be sightlines for people at the opposite end.

-dan

I just read the article.

I don't think U2 would schedule a concert at a stadium where they are not sure that the claw even fits in. There has been a similar problem with the Veltins arena in Gelsenkirchen/Germany, that's why it took them so long to actually confirm the date because they had to make sure the claw fits in with the roof closed first. I don't believe for a moment that they didn't take care of that earlier. There must have been some earlier agreement to get that screen out of the way, otherwise they'd never have agreed to play there.

I think this is a sad statement for Texas(and there are quite a few:lol:) but to have such a failure in a metroplex that has now three stadiums and not one up to par for this type of event. Houston having a decent stadium. San Antonio having a stadium that does almost nothing and the sound is shit. And the only decent music city in this state, Austin, not being able to accomodate them...

It's fucking embarassing.

Austin has a stadium that could accommodate them. The problem is, it holds 100,000 and is in a relatively minor market for U2. The only way they'd play a stadium in Austin is if they didn't play anywhere else in Texas. I guess that's possible on leg three; they could skip Houston and the metroplex, leaving only Austin/San Antonio, and I don't think the Alamadome could even fit the claw inside of it. El Paso is the other option, but that's really an entirely different market than the I-35 corridor and Houston.

Austin has a stadium that could accommodate them. The problem is, it holds 100,000 and is in a relatively minor market for U2. The only way they'd play a stadium in Austin is if they didn't play anywhere else in Texas. I guess that's possible on leg three; they could skip Houston and the metroplex, leaving only Austin/San Antonio, and I don't think the Alamadome could even fit the claw inside of it. El Paso is the other option, but that's really an entirely different market than the I-35 corridor and Houston.

Ok, yes technically you all have a stadium, but I meant a multi-functioning stadium. I'm not sure Texas Stadium could hold the claw. Yeah it would be tough for them to play Dallas, Houston, and Austin(they played three markets for PopMart but not to the greatest attendance)... but I was thinking skip Dallas and just play Austin, that way you draw from Dallas, Austin, and SA...

And I agree both stadiums are dumps... but this new one is very pricey mistake. It's getting ripped to shreds in architectural/ design circles for not being good for anything but football(which come to find out isn't really the case) and Jerry's ego.

errr... I believe one of the first games played in that stadium was a Soccer match...

So no. It will be perfectly used for football, soccer, and as far as I know not too many bands in the world have stages like U2.

That stadium is a beaut.

Ok, yes technically you all have a stadium, but I meant a multi-functioning stadium. I'm not sure Texas Stadium could hold the claw. Yeah it would be tough for them to play Dallas, Houston, and Austin(they played three markets for PopMart but not to the greatest attendance)... but I was thinking skip Dallas and just play Austin, that way you draw from Dallas, Austin, and SA...

what are you talking about? Even Lubbock has a stadium that could hold the claw. Kyle Field (College Station, 80K+); Texas Stadium, (Austin, 65K+); Jones Stadium (Lubbock, 55K+). Plus the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Reliant Stadium in Houston.

All those stadiums could easily hold the claw, itmay even fit in the Alamodome.

The thing is, the two major markets are Dallas and Houston. They would never play in Austin before playing in Houston.

errr... I believe one of the first games played in that stadium was a Soccer match...
Do you really think that soccer and football have different needs?

So no. It will be perfectly used for football, soccer, and as far as I know not too many bands in the world have stages like U2.

That stadium is a beaut.

No but anykind of summer event be it a concert or whatever is hindered by daylight until almost 9pm, which is just poor design for an enclosed stadium. Apparently they can't hold any motocross or similar type events either...

what are you talking about? Even Lubbock has a stadium that could hold the claw. Kyle Field (College Station, 80K+); Texas Stadium, (Austin, 65K+); Jones Stadium (Lubbock, 55K+). Plus the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Reliant Stadium in Houston.

All those stadiums could easily hold the claw, itmay even fit in the Alamodome.

The thing is, the two major markets are Dallas and Houston. They would never play in Austin before playing in Houston.

You really missed the context of that post. I'm aware of Cotton Bowl and Reliant in fact I mentioned both... My point was they would have a hard time selling if they did all three markets. And nowhere did I mention doing Austin instead of Houston, I said Austin instead of Dallas.

But those other fields you mention would not work because professional stadiums have larger sidelines than most college fields, and the claw surpasses just the football field width. Most of those fields have no area for a "backstage" to be set up, I know for a fact Kyle Field doesn't. And the capacities you listed wouldn't be cost efficient, except maybe Kyle Field but the town itself couldn't house the crew. :lol:

Plus Aggies can even spell U2....

But those other fields you mention would not work because professional stadiums have larger sidelines than most college fields, and the claw surpasses just the football field width. Most of those fields have no area for a "backstage" to be set up, I know for a fact Kyle Field doesn't. And the capacities you listed wouldn't be cost efficient, except maybe Kyle Field but the town itself couldn't house the crew. :lol:[/QUOTE]

All I have to say is that it MUST have been men who designed this setup:lol:. Women are much too logical to design something like this. Sorry guys.

It really IS pathetic though...all that money and no thought given to how low the screen would be.

No way U2 should have to pay for this. The screen should be retractable...they make all kinds of retractable things now.

Do you really think that soccer and football have different needs?

Well, they both do have very similar needs (actually soccer requires the field to be significantly wider than 50 yards, but I'll agree that soccer and football needs are similar), but then that makes your point moot. Most shows or sporting events have very similar needs. They could easily play hockey, basketball and even baseball (if Rangers stadium weren't right beside it).

No but anykind of summer event be it a concert or whatever is hindered by daylight until almost 9pm, which is just poor design for an enclosed stadium. Apparently they can't hold any motocross or similar type events either...

Well, as far as I know Paul McCartney just played there a few days ago, and as far as I've heard it was just a great show, and most people were in awe of the stadium. (and the concert started at 7:30, with Paul indeed starting at 9PM as programmed)

You really missed the context of that post. I'm aware of Cotton Bowl and Reliant in fact I mentioned both... My point was they would have a hard time selling if they did all three markets. And nowhere did I mention doing Austin instead of Houston, I said Austin instead of Dallas.

Ok, I agree with the fact that they may have a hard time selling out all three venues, specially Austin. because it's a small city compared to Houston and Dallas. My point was, that it doesn't make any sense to skip either Dallas or Houston for Austin. (which is the point I thought you were making). My other point was that there are plenty of stadiums that can hold the claw. Even that godforsaken place in Lubbock could do it.

But those other fields you mention would not work because professional stadiums have larger sidelines than most college fields, and the claw surpasses just the football field width. Most of those fields have no area for a "backstage" to be set up, I know for a fact Kyle Field doesn't. And the capacities you listed wouldn't be cost efficient, except maybe Kyle Field but the town itself couldn't house the crew. :lol:

I'm not saying that U2 should go to those places. The schedule U2 has seems perfect to me. Go to Dallas and go to Houston. However, all those places I mentioned could in theory have hosted the band.

Actually, Kyle field has a perfect area for a "backstage". The Bright football complex at the south end of the field from where the football team comes out every Saturday. And then again, if they are going to Oklahoma's Memorial stadium, they can go to any of these other ones if the markets were big enough.

(and the fact the towns may be small, is also a moot point, the schools are so big that they are used to hosting extra 100K+ per week)

All I have to say is that it MUST have been men who designed this setup:lol:. Women are much too logical to design something like this. Sorry guys.

It really IS pathetic though...all that money and no thought given to how low the screen would be.

No way U2 should have to pay for this. The screen should be retractable...they make all kinds of retractable things now.

there are two issues here:

1) the height of the screens for the show
2) the height of the screens for the games

according to the news8austin story, u2 is paying to move it up so it wouldn't block sightlines. it was probably part of the contract when they were getting everything set up to play there. if that's true, then it's a non-story

as far as the games go, jones wants to move the screen back to 90 feet after the show and this is where the pissing contest begins

90 feet is 5 feet above the minimum set by the league so jones feels he's in the clear.

the nfl and it's competition committee are freaking out over one punt during one preseason game.

-dan

They could easily play hockey, basketball and even baseball (if Rangers stadium weren't right beside it).
Um, no they couldn't. Not the proper dimensions at all.

Well, as far as I know Paul McCartney just played there a few days ago, and as far as I've heard it was just a great show, and most people were in awe of the stadium. (and the concert started at 7:30, with Paul indeed starting at 9PM as programmed)
Yes and I saw photos of the opening night with George Strait and the photos looked horrible. I'm glad it worked for Paul, but my point is that if you're going to spend this kind of money for a MULTI-PURPOSE stadium you try and and think of everything and every scenario. I'm speaking as a former architect, it's not good design when you overlook something as huge as this. All the other newer stadiums that I can think of have options for shutting out the sunlight, as they should.

Ok, I agree with the fact that they may have a hard time selling out all three venues, specially Austin. because it's a small city compared to Houston and Dallas. My point was, that it doesn't make any sense to skip either Dallas or Houston for Austin. (which is the point I thought you were making). My other point was that there are plenty of stadiums that can hold the claw. Even that godforsaken place in Lubbock could do it.

Once again you are skipping over the context of our conversation. And no the Lubbuck stadium could not accomodate it.

Actually, Kyle field has a perfect area for a "backstage". The Bright football complex at the south end of the field from where the football team comes out every Saturday. And then again, if they are going to Oklahoma's Memorial stadium, they can go to any of these other ones if the markets were big enough.
I went to Texas A&M, I was part of the student council at the time, we tried really hard to get some big acts to come and play Kyle Field, in fact many of the country acts were interested but we got turned down by all because we lacked the proper facilities, one of which was a proper area for "backstage" requirements, such as private shower areas, etc... So my point is that it takes a little more than having the physical structure.

(and the fact the towns may be small, is also a moot point, the schools are so big that they are used to hosting extra 100K+ per week)

But not 120 trucks, the influx of out of town people, etc trust me College Station wasn't even capable of housing the influx of out of towners for homegames when I was going to school there, of course they've added a few hotels since then but once again you are missing the minor details that make up the big picture.

Isn't the next NBA all-star game there? That's going to set a record for most number of fans with horrible seats. Over a billion dollars for something that's primary purpose is 8 dates/year :huh:

If they play in Texas again on the third leg, I doubt it will be in Dallas or Houston, which opens up Austin/San Antonio.

If they play in Texas again on the third leg, I doubt it will be in Dallas or Houston, which opens up Austin/San Antonio.

The way I see it, there is no way this market Texas/Oklahoma will be visited in 2010. I think they oversaturated this area in 2009 and have no reason to return here next year.

The way I see it, there is no way this market Texas/Oklahoma will be visited in 2010. I think they oversaturated this area in 2009 and have no reason to return here next year.

I agree, unless for some reason SOA or a DVD comes out and sparks a huge surge in interest.

Although it would be cool if they came to Austin so that SA and Austin weren't ignored, but I'm just being selfishly naive. :D

Um, no they couldn't. Not the proper dimensions at all.

then you should tell them that they should cancel the already scheduled All-Star game next year an the final four in 2014.

Yes and I saw photos of the opening night with George Strait and the photos looked horrible. I'm glad it worked for Paul, but my point is that if you're going to spend this kind of money for a MULTI-PURPOSE stadium you try and and think of everything and every scenario. I'm speaking as a former architect, it's not good design when you overlook something as huge as this. All the other newer stadiums that I can think of have options for shutting out the sunlight, as they should.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what a great 'mistake' it was. I believe it is an awesome stadium that worked perfectly for McCartney, that has been awesome for soccer games, that will be impressive for football games, and will be great for U2 as well.

How about we wait until the concert and see what do people who attend the concert think about it?

Once again you are skipping over the context of our conversation. And no the Lubbuck stadium could not accomodate it.

alright... if you say so (about the conversation).

and no. if OU memorial can Lubbock would be able to do it as well. The pitch of Jones stadium is larger than OU's.

I went to Texas A&M, I was part of the student council at the time, we tried really hard to get some big acts to come and play Kyle Field, in fact many of the country acts were interested but we got turned down by all because we lacked the proper facilities, one of which was a proper area for "backstage" requirements, such as private shower areas, etc... So my point is that it takes a little more than having the physical structure.

Well, I don't know when you attended A&M (howdy) but I'm telling nowadays they DO have a proper area for "backstage"... and it's pretty big, and if there is a reason for not having a concert in there it's because the field is also a memorial, and aggies are rather particular about who can step in the field.

But not 120 trucks, the influx of out of town people, etc trust me College Station wasn't even capable of housing the influx of out of towners for homegames when I was going to school there, of course they've added a few hotels since then but once again you are missing the minor details that make up the big picture.

Again, I don't know when did you go there, but CS is more than capable to
accommodate the tens of thousands of people who go for home games. Come on, they been doing it for decades!

Anyways this discussion is kinda pointless... I believe Cowboys Stadium is impressive. They already have used it successfully for concerts and sport events, and they'll keep doing it.
Any town in Texas with a football stadium could host U2 as well. (I forgot about El Paso, the Sunbowl has already hosted U2 and the rolling stones, etc), and 120 trucks can be easily parked at A&M in close proximity to Kyle field, there is no question about it.

I agree, unless for some reason SOA or a DVD comes out and sparks a huge surge in interest.

Although it would be cool if they came to Austin so that SA and Austin weren't ignored, but I'm just being selfishly naive. :D

Indeed. :angry:

There hasn't been a show in our market since Elevation. It baffles me why Austin/San Antonio was skirted over in 2005. San Antonio was played only a few days before Houston in 1997, so that probably fried both markets... maybe they could have a stadium show in this market if they only did one in TX/OK on that leg? I wish, at least.

Back
Top Bottom