U2 doesn't know how to effectively use the 360 stage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
This stage screams for a mind-blowing visual show, and some of U2's hardest rocking numbers. But, really, it has hardly lived up to that. I guess the song selection has gotten better as the tour has evolved, but the visuals - the "show" if you will - hardly.

The return of Zooropa proves it. Brilliant song. I'm amazed they brought it back. But come on. The second half of that song, the 360 stage should just explode into an overload of visuals, colors, lights, etc. It should be going nuts; just radiating energy, and it isn't.

This isn't the only song with this problem.

The stage, the space theme, it all has such massive potential and it has never fully been utilized. And this late in the game, doubt it will be. Too bad. I thought this tour might eclipse ZooTV and Popmart in terms of being an incredible visual spectacle. Instead, it's just a really, REALLY big prop that does little more than just exist.

Have you actually been there? I thought it was really an incredible visual spectacle like you said.

OP, have you at least seen the claw in person?

I mean its pretty fantabulous for EBTTRT, Crazy, COBL, Unforgettable Fire (RIP), Ultraviolet, etc..

The thing is that they cant overuse it, it must go crazy for some songs and remain a nice backdrop for others. whether or not they have the right balance is the issue, not that they are not effectively using it- because they are.

This stage screams for a mind-blowing visual show, and some of U2's hardest rocking numbers. But, really, it has hardly lived up to that. I guess the song selection has gotten better as the tour has evolved, but the visuals - the "show" if you will - hardly.

The return of Zooropa proves it. Brilliant song. I'm amazed they brought it back. But come on. The second half of that song, the 360 stage should just explode into an overload of visuals, colors, lights, etc. It should be going nuts; just radiating energy, and it isn't.

The stage, the space theme, it all has such massive potential and it has never fully been utilized. And this late in the game, doubt it will be. Too bad. I thought this tour might eclipse ZooTV and Popmart in terms of being an incredible visual spectacle. Instead, it's just a really, REALLY big prop that does little more than just exist.

So: you're bored = U2 doesn't know what they're doing? :doh:

I respect your feelings that the band aren't using the stage well (though I strongly disagree), but to say they're somehow ignorant because they aren't doing things the way you think they should is pretty ballsy. And not in a good way. :no:

I'm in the severe minority, but I like how the visuals are used for Zooropa.

I think the visuals are the way they are to just get you to foreget about the band, the stadium, everything, and just here the SOUND. The beautiful music of Zooropa and the fact that 4 guys, even though you cant really see them, are producing that sound that is echoing through this dark room. I think that is what they are going for. Perhaps the visuals would take away from the music in this particular case. but who knows...

Honestly, what Zoocoustic says is fairly close to how I've felt for most of the tour. The stage is a spectacle, alright, but there's a difference between a spectacle and a HUGE FUCKING SPECTACLE!

It cries out to be the latter but, if you ask me, isn't.

Have to see, the DVD/fan videos etc didn't give me any sort of appreciation for the show in real life. The video's/lighting was far better in person. Could they do it better? Absolutely. Are they doing a perfectly fine, passable, and at time brilliant job? Absolutely.

The fact that they even go as far as they have puts them beyond 99.9% of artists.

I agree about "playing more of the hardest rocking numbers" and thus using more visuals.
Once agin, I thought 2009 360 tour was deadly flat and that now it's the best place to be on any day of the week...... so, great improvement, but yes, not enough in comparison with this stage's potential.

I guess the song selection has gotten better as the tour has evolved, but the visuals - the "show" if you will - hardly.

I agree about "playing more of the hardest rocking numbers" and thus using more visuals.
Once agin, I thought 2009 360 tour was deadly flat and that now it's the best place to be on any day of the week...... so, great improvement, but yes, not enough in comparison with this stage's potential.

Yes, definitely!!

The tour has really improved since 2009, when, for the first time in my time as a fan, I seriously doubted U2.

Serious lack of rock and roll energy at those shows.

As soon as Stingray started up in Turin in 2010, you could tell something that had been missing was back.

All tour the stage has been screaming for Pop songs - Discotheque, Mofo, LNOE. This stage was ideal for high energy, high tempo songs. Have they been making the best use of the stage with the songs they HAVE been playing? Probably, yes.

They've just started playing Zooropa. The visuals are going to be there, it just takes time. For the other songs the visuals are pretty damn good if you ask me.

Willie needs to move on, and they need to hire The Killers/Kylie Minougues Stage Designer. They need fresh blood and new ideas, and Willie hasn't had one since 2001. He's one of the best, but the relationship between U2 and him has made the tours seem a bit stagnant. U2 not using their vid screens isn't just their decision, it's the whole team. Fresh ideas would be great. Also, as much as I love this tour, it's called 360, and every one I know who's seen it who aren't diehards thought it would be in the round in the center field, and well, it's not really 360.

That said I frickin love it still...cuz it's U2, and there is NO one better! :drool:

Honestly, what Zoocoustic says is fairly close to how I've felt for most of the tour. The stage is a spectacle, alright, but there's a difference between a spectacle and a HUGE FUCKING SPECTACLE!

It cries out to be the latter but, if you ask me, isn't.

this might be the first thing i've ever agreed with u on! haha!

my friends who work in that field (stage/set/lighting) think it's a great show but not truly awe inspiring, and i know a lot of fans who feel the same. but hey, most of my fan friends saw zoo and pop live, so are also making that comparison.

Never heard so much bull**** in all my life, U2 know exactly what their doing with "the claw", if they didn't, then they wouldn't be paying hundreds of thousands of pounds a day to keep it running.

Willie needs to move on, and they need to hire The Killers/Kylie Minougues Stage Designer. They need fresh blood and new ideas, and Willie hasn't had one since 2001. He's one of the best, but the relationship between U2 and him has made the tours seem a bit stagnant. U2 not using their vid screens isn't just their decision, it's the whole team. Fresh ideas would be great. Also, as much as I love this tour, it's called 360, and every one I know who's seen it who aren't diehards thought it would be in the round in the center field, and well, it's not really 360.

That said I frickin love it still...cuz it's U2, and there is NO one better! :drool:

Hang on a minute, without Willie there would be no "claw" to even suggest they ditch possible one of the greatest lighting and stage designers is crazy, Willie and Mark Fisher have created something very special, and are using it how they see fit, i cant belive someone has even suggested ditching them.

i am just agreeing with the original post. we all have our own opinions, and i am welcome to mine as u are to yours, as is the person who started this thread.

after over a year of not posting on here, i now remember why i don't. god forbid anyone have their own ideas and share them. i mean it's ok, as long as everything u post is purely worshipful. i love this tour and u2 and willies past work. i'm just able to take a step away from my fandom and look at the show from a creative perspective, that is all. but i forgot, i can only follow the herd. :doh::crack: don't worry, i'm back to lurking.

Well i am just giving my opinion? how come your getting so defensive just because someone has debated yours?, its nothing to do with being a U2 fan the claw has been hailed as a benchmark by other experts in the field of stage design, so a few people dont agree with that means the band should move on from Willie? i just dont see the logic in that at all.

Great idea. Internetz says let's fire Willie Williams, after bringing one of his most innovative ideas to life.
:huh:

Zoo TV and Pop-Mart both front loaded with spectacle for the first 6 to 8 songs then switched off for a few tracks before returning to the spectacle for the remaining songs. In 360 with the exception of one or two tracks at the start really doesn't kick in Stage wise until Until the End of the World and from then one it pretty much stays at one level.

One of Popmarts most effective tricks was turning the screen off for New Years Day. Similarily the kick into Bullet the Blue Sky on both tours was aided by the visual lull before it. If anything the 360 tour does such a gradular built up to the set pieces that there's a reduced impact (as spectular as the staging is for COBL it's main trick with the screen is slowly revealed in the previous song).

I think the problem is they are trying to keep the whole intimate stadium experience thing as well as the huge spectical that is a U2 show outdoors. But the thing is they just haven't got it right or close to right until now.

The setlist, for a while didn't help. I mean c'mon...In A Little While? Okay the band are going for the whole space theme, there's one fucking verse in the song that mentions space. More to the point it's not 2001 anymore, and it ain't no stadium tune. I've said this before, that the stage is literally crying out for some crazy pop shit. some of those songs would kill to be up on that stage. We've now seen what they've done with Zooropa.

Back
Top Bottom