U2 Announces 2010 360 Tour Opening Acts - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't mean they'll do it. I think 360 could be, but hope it won't be, the last MAJOR tour they do in the States. Age, lack of American attention and families and lack of interest within the band to continue long drawn out tours

SMB

Dude what are you talking about? There has not been one single ounce of proof that this is U2's last tour in the states. Stadiums perhaps, but not touring overall. Trust me, when that time comes, they will clearly make the fact known that it is their last tour.

And lack of interest within the band? They are clearly as happy as they have ever been. Just because there has not been much in the way of interviews lately doesn't mean the band has lost interest. And U2's popularity in the US has always gone up and down. If they recovered from the Pop period, where shows didn't even come close to selling out, then I think they can survive a few stadium shows where there are still a few tickets available. Plus, let's not forget, the first show of the 2010 tour is still a little under three months away...

Finally, in terms of the contract with Live Nation, they can't just say, "nevermind, we changed our minds." The band would not have signed a 12 year contract if they didn't feel they could fullfill it.

Technically, that's true. But as far as I remember, it was only that one Dublin gig on the Elevation Tour in which Coldplay opened, along with a bunch of other opening bands, including the Chili Peppers.

Not sure if Chris got a chance to hang out with his heroes much back then.

Looks like they have hung out. No one looks very excited though.

1263087530070_f.jpg

I am a bit disappointed in the selection of Interpol for the East Lansing show. I like there music and listen to it quite often, but as for live performers....Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Plus I was hoping the opening act might generate some interest in this yet to be sold out show. Interpol will not do that.

I would have like to see the band have Metric open some shows.

Doesn't mean they'll do it. I think 360 could be, but hope it won't be, the last MAJOR tour they do in the States. Age, lack of American attention and families and lack of interest within the band to continue long drawn out tours

SMB

the only thing you mention there that has any validity is the age factor... they are getting up there, so with any band who's members are approaching 50, there are the risks that each tour may be their last, if for nothing else than the unpredictability of someone's health the older they get.

but that's the only reason why i'd see them stopping.

Also I would hardly say that this tour is 'long drawn out'. As it stands, yes in terms of its overall duration - June'09-Oct'10 but not in terms of time on the road. They had a 4 month tour last year and have scheduled a 4 month tour this year. Not overly strenuous for 4 guys not yet (or only just) 50!

What I can't imagine doing is playing a Celine Dion/Tom Jones/Frank Sinatra type schedule of playing night after night week after week in one Vegas venue. I would find that soul-destroying.

Well it's been 3 weeks since they've announce the opening act for the first 13 concerts...but still nothing for the last 3 gigs of the leg.Either U2 can't make up their mind.......or it's Arcade fire that can't make up "Their" mind.: More festivals or opening for U2 in their hometown and in Jersey.

Is it really that tough to choose?

haha sorry - just can't stand them and the restaurant below my flat inisist on playing them at full blast every day. I guess I have a biased opinion :huh:
in all fairness they seemed like pretty cool guys in that BBC programme featuring artists covering the Sgt Pepper album.

.... what was douchey about that?

I guess you can get all offended about them considering U2 a "pop act," but I don't think there's anything douchey about those quotes. :shrug:

Although I'm happy with them not opening. They have two amazing songs, and then a whole lot of crap.

I guess you can get all offended about them considering U2 a "pop act," but I don't think there's anything douchey about those quotes. :shrug:

Although I'm happy with them not opening. They have two amazing songs, and then a whole lot of crap.

Yeah, I agree with that... athough, it would have been cool for MGMT to open.

I think they're a horrible horrible band but as for the quotes....nothing wrong with that, at all. Might even be applaudable.

I don't think there's anything they could have given as an explanation that wouldn't get some people's panties in a bunch. Heaven forbid someone doesn't want to open for U2.

At worst, they called them (and the Foo Fighters) a "pop" band. Horrors! Someone get my smelling salts!

when you are a hip indie band, you can act like one. That's all I can say here.

Ironically the singles of their debut are great pop tunes. It sounds like they want to ditch the pop label and the new album is shaping up to be weird for weirdness' sake. I've heard from many sources that they're awful live tho.

Anyway, y'all probably don't want to watch this interview where they actively talk smack about u2.

Back
Top Bottom