U2 Announces 2010 360 Tour Opening Acts - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I did say theaters or smaller venues, maybe I didn't word it right but I meant smaller than stadiums.

Springsteen never has an opening act. So his stadium shows didn't have one either (not in the U.S.A. nor in Europe).

U2 doesn't normally use opening acts to sell more tickets, they stick by the formula of hiring someone to warm up the crowd, and they've been using their mega-fame to help give exposure to artists they respect for quite a long time now. Springsteen doesn't have openers, you think he's bigger live than U2? The numbers say otherwise. Besides, I'd rather have the opportunity for an opener than not, look at Springsteen's concerts, he still doesn't start until 9, so you might as well have the chance to see someone else during that time you'd be waiting anyway.

Springsteen always comes up when people ask why U2 even bothers with opening bands. :shrug:

People also forget that Springsteen usually plays as long or longer than the usual headliner set PLUS an opener set. U2 is just not going to play that long. Madonna is another one who I believe has no opener, but she does a standard set (on the short side even) and there you get the sense that you've been a bit shorted...

Yeah the dude plays 3 hour sets sometimes :crack: thats what i call spending good money.

Keane has offically announce that they will release a new album(Night Train) May 11.

Please U2,don't do this...not for the Montreal shows..please don't

U2 dispensed with an opening act during their three Tokyo shows at the end of the Vertigo Tour in November 2006.

I may be showing my age, but I loved it. Doors were at 6pm, the shows started at 7:40pm and finished at 9:45pm. For those of us in the GA, it was still a four hour stand-a-thon, but not having an opener enabled us to conserve our energy and eardrums for U2, and gave us a chance to meet our fellow U2 fans up front with us.

Getting out early gave us plenty of time to eat, drink and be merry, and still get back to our hotels in time for some proper rest for the next day's show.

U2 dispensed with an opening act during their three Tokyo shows at the end of the Vertigo Tour in November 2006.

I may be showing my age, but I loved it. Doors were at 6pm, the shows started at 7:40pm and finished at 9:45pm. For those of us in the GA, it was still a four hour stand-a-thon, but not having an opener enabled us to conserve our energy and eardrums for U2, and gave us a chance to meet our fellow U2 fans up front with us.

Getting out early gave us plenty of time to eat, drink and be merry, and still get back to our hotels in time for some proper rest for the next day's show.

Ooooh! That sounds nice. That way, after the show you can still go and have dinner with your new friends!

The Fray? Disappointing...I don't want to listen to any vagina music at a U2 show thanks.

Keane would be a good opener.... for Norah Jones, in a club for 2,500.

I don't think Keane will open in Jersey. They opened at MSG on the Vertigo Tour.

I have nothing against Keane, I saw them a few times on Vertigo. However after the 2nd time I found myself using them as a beer/pee break. It's not that they're bad, it's just verrrry repetitious music imo.

I like them too, I saw them open twice at MSG and they were terrific.

Yeah, for people bashing Keane, I wonder if you've ever seen them live? I thought Keane's albums are pretty boring. But then I saw them live at MSG, and holy shit, they're 1000x better live.... That was the best opener for Vertigo... they kept the stage minimalistic, and it's just 3 guys on stage, performing music, singing with great voice, and just a real-good stripped down band feel.

Back
Top Bottom