U2 after Glastonbury thoughts and chats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beyonce the best headliner. Jesus, its not bad getting that distinction by just shaking yer ass and letting your backing singers do the singing. Oh also she had that good a catalogue of songs she had to waste some time by singing happy birthday to some random girl in the crowd. Shit with a capital S!

So Willie's diary apparently says the original 2010 plan was to do Glastonbury in 'three acts'.

Act 1: 80s Anthems (opening with Streets)
Act 2: ZooTV Opening
Act 3: The Present

Straight chronological. Honestly, depending on what they dropped into 'The Present' (and presumably they were planning on making the same MOS-closer mistake) that almost certainly would have been better?

A vote on NME says that the best performance at Glastonbury was the Hurts with U2 in 2nd and Coldplay 3rd. Beyonce was down at 5th. I can't find it on the NME website but read it today in The Sun Bizarre column. Anyone have any details about that and the review thats in the new edition of NME?

A vote on NME says that the best performance at Glastonbury was the Hurts with U2 in 2nd and Coldplay 3rd. Beyonce was down at 5th. I can't find it on the NME website but read it today in The Sun Bizarre column. Anyone have any details about that and the review thats in the new edition of NME?

Do not beLIEve NME

I'd be interested to read the NME review, given their - ahem - less than appreciative view of U2. And especially given that they set U2 up so poorly in their preview of the festival. Might pick it up today.

Don't mean to take away from it, but U2, Coldplay, Beyonce featuring so highly on an NME poll? Even Hurts is quite odd. I think you'll find it's getting bombed by fanbases, not a regular readers vote.

vaz02 said:
Just how great u2 were. It's really refreshing :D

Almost no hate

Wow and these are comments from an nme article, is that tide finally about to turn back around?

Here's hoping they do more festivals. It might bring the hunger back that they had when they were younger, and was evident at Glastonbury.

U2 fighting for their music, and winner over new fans at festivals might bring them the credibility/respect they deserve, but currently don't have from the wider music community.

It's certainly not 99% positive reviews, it's about 70/30 (which, for U2, is phenomenal), but even most of the positive agree that whether it was the conditions or otherwise, it wasn't the monster event they expected, but U2 delivered what they delivered very well.

And yes, Coldplay and Beyonce had a significant weather bump. 'U2 Day' and the other two could not be compared weather wise. Even I was in a foul mood all day leading into U2, and I had the once-in-a-lifetime dream Radiohead/U2 Live Double coming up that evening. It was just an awful wet, windy, miserable day. Coldplay and Beyonce had hot, beautiful, perfect days leading in, and the lift in mood all around the place was significant.

But... I do think Coldplay pitched it far better. Were the songs better? No. Were their theatrics over the top? Yes, but probably not to a lot of their audience (I mean, if you think Fix You is a great song, you probably think fireworks, lasers and butterfly confetti are awesome too.) Coldplay definitely played the crowd and mood better, but yes, they had a better crowd and mood to work with. They have played the festival four or five times now, so that they know exactly what they're doing might not be surprising. There is a bit of an individual art to it there, it would have been a change for Bono (less choreographed, far more spontaneous, and far, far more open), and the UK bands who are well practiced with it do always tend to nail it best.

Beyonce just put on a big show. No depth to it, obviously. It was like the opening number at an MTV Awards blown out over one and a half hours, on a much, much bigger scale. A lot of it was very, very, very impressive in that sense. And the Sunday night slots do have an atmosphere of their own. It's the end of the weekend, let's be less serious, go on, I'm drunk, put on a Beyonce track and let's dance.

Like I've been saying, U2 did not fail, they just didn't knock it out of the park. Expectations too high? U2 can't reach the heights of other 'legendary' Glastonbury sets? Maybe with only a few small changes they could have. But they didn't. And they didn't need to, but you look at the shift when not knocking out of the park - getting good reviews, some in the media and public actually daring to ask "Umm, should we re-think U2?", the shift in sales - and you can see a little bit of what could have been. There's a credibility gap with U2, and something like Slane is nice, but only U2 fans know about it. If they'd nailed Glastonbury as they did Slane, it would have been a great set-up for them. They would have known that too. That's why they did it. No Line tanked, remember? U2 don't do things randomly.

Apart from one review, every single one I read says U2 had a good/very good performance. :shrug:

I've only read one negative review. Which is pretty good for UK magazines and U2.

Glastonbury: Coldplay and U2 almost spoil the party - Features, Music - The Independent

And admiteddly a chosen few chose to focus on the tax protesters more, but they did not rip the band's performance. :shrug:

But like I said, sound issues, weather and age and some setlist bad choices prevented them for wowing the crowd even more.

As for effects, fireworks and confetti is a little old in the 21st century. Personally I preferred Damien Hirst's graphics on EBTTRT (can they hire this guy for visuals on their next tour?) over anything Coldplay had. But I agree they had bigger lights and they certainly help with the crowd.

No Line did tank...but I doubt even the greatest perfomance of all time at Glastonbury could change that*. Eavis said he'd been asking U2 to play for years.

On the one had, I would like them to get invited again...sans the rain, the sound issues and the jetlag. But I'm inclined to think this was a one-time, been there-done that, box they wanted to tick off their wish-list. It's good to see some good U2 press after a while, and it being based on the actual music. This is all they could ask for IMO. Arguably what they ultimately wanted from this show ?

I'm hoping for a different once-in-a-lifetime gig though. The London Olympics opening ceremony. How's that for a huge audience worldwide ?

*that said, I wonder what the setlist would be like previous year, had Bono's back not interferred. 2010 shows in Europe featured some brand new songs...

Personally I preferred Damien Hirst's graphics on EBTTRT (can they hire this guy for visuals on their next tour?) over anything Coldplay had.
This. I still don't understand why they're not using the Hirst video for EBTTRT instead of the camera feed.

Really? I'd much rather see the band on the screen for the opening song.

What was the big deal about Damien Hirst's graphics? The butterflies were pretty, but why do I want to look at a bunch of women's faces instead of the band?

I'm hoping for a different once-in-a-lifetime gig though. The London Olympics opening ceremony. How's that for a huge audience worldwide ?

But they're Irish:huh:

Really? I'd much rather see the band on the screen for the opening song.

What was the big deal about Damien Hirst's graphics? The butterflies were pretty, but why do I want to look at a bunch of women's faces instead of the band?

:up: They needed the band on those screens at the start especially when you bear in mind most of the crowd can't see the stage whether it's because of distance or bloody flags:lol: I don't think I saw a band member until Mysterious Ways and we were only by the mixing desk:lol:

Edge was born in East London (as is the Olympic Stadium) and Adam was born in Oxfordshire.

Ha. That didn't stop them from playing at the inauguration of a US president. :wink:

You Americans will take any old whoring band:wink:

I tell you now if they appeared at the opening of the Olympics the press would slate them and any good the Glasto performance had done them would be wiped out in one fell swoop.
Plus I don't think Sebastian Coe would be comfortable with the relay baton the British public would insert up his....:lol:

We will probably get another Spice Girls or Take That re-union:doh:

Coldplay stole their confetti and cannons shtick from the Flaming Lips...

NME is a joke now, it's balls are cut, it's 1980s suckerpunch gone, it's just so polite these days.

eg. these are some of it's iGoogle rss feed "music news" headlines just now;

'Glee' cast regular Chord Overstreet axed in show shake-up
Glastonbury effect' helps propel Beyonce's '4' straight to albums chart peak
sure "propelled" 80k sold out of millions of viewers...
Arnold Schwarzenegger's wife Maria Shriver files for divorce

ooh radical...

Edge was born in East London (as is the Olympic Stadium) and Adam was born in Oxfordshire.

Adam is BRITISH?!?!?!?!!?!!!?!

OMG_ONOZ_by_u63r.gif

Well technically, Edge and Adam are still British citizens regardless if they carry the passport or consider themselves to be. They would have to do a Renunciation of their UK citizenship, which nobody would usually do because it's a pain in the ass to go through the process.

I've only read one negative review. Which is pretty good for UK magazines and U2.

Yeah - I haven't read a U2 specific review that's negative, they're all either positive or 'did the job', but in many of the general whole-Glastonbury-weekend reviews, you'll find it's generally more negative. The difference is probably that the people assigned to review U2 know U2, while the general reviewers maybe not so much. Some of the things they complain about give that away. Like saying Bono's snippeting was an example of how 'desperate' he was to win over the crowd. Obviously if you know U2, you know that was certainly no Glastonbury thing.

As for effects, fireworks and confetti is a little old in the 21st century. But I agree they had bigger lights and they certainly help with the crowd.

One thing they did well - and had people talking all weekend - was the projections/lighting up of the actual Pyramid. Could have worked for U2 with Streets (when I saw the setup for it, I just assumed that was what it was there for), or if they had done something 'party' like Mofo or Discotheque (or God forbid, even Crazy Tonight) it could have worked really well with those. But the lasers/fireworks/confetti, people like it, but it's not genius and has nothing to do with the quality of performance. Only way it might have helped U2 is in giving them reach and 'warmth' when their presentation was quite small and 'cold' on a wet, cold, awful night. If you're up the back, you're only casually interested to begin with, you can't hear a thing and you're getting drenched, maybe some of that might have helped. As it turned out, if you were one of those people, it sounds like you left about halfway through.

YouTube - ‪Coldplay perform Every Teardrop is a Waterfall live at Glastonbury 2011‬‏

Personally I preferred Damien Hirst's graphics on EBTTRT (can they hire this guy for visuals on their next tour?)

You know who he is right? I don't think you 'hire' him, I think you commission him, and it costs you half your budget.

Damien Hirst sale breaks art auction record, raking in £70.5 million in its first day - Telegraph

Although he is a friend of the bands, has donated stuff to charity auctions Bono has run, and I read somewhere that Edge is a big collector of his stuff. I really liked those visuals too. BBC footage doesn't capture them well. The opening sequence of the fly larvae was a 'confronting' opening - the whole Even Better intro, from the end of Space Oddity to Larry kicking in, was what could have looked like maggots crawling over a carcass or something, but the rest of it was stunning (and the girl was cute as sin.)

Do agree thought that the crowd needed to see the band earlier.

The whole "we must have our own director" thing is something I think backfired a bit as well. A lot of the tight footage of the band early on might have been to avoid the protest (unnecessary - it was tiny), and later might have been because the rain was coming in sideways and thus covering camera lenses, but missing out on so many wider shots and crowd shots was a shame. Especially during The Fly. Not once catching that wide shot of all the screens flickering as per ZooTV was a real shame. I liked how in the interview afterwards, Zane Lowe says something sarcastic like "Great direction guys, lots of nice wide shots." I'm sure there were a few BBC noses out of joint with that demand.

No Line did tank...but I doubt even the greatest perfomance of all time at Glastonbury could change that*. Eavis said he'd been asking U2 to play for years.

Not 'change', no. But it's about combating an opinion. Like rushing the 80s Best Of out (and Sweetest Thing single) was in part to combat the mostly US-centric prevalent opinion of 'too weird' or whatever, I think in part getting up there at the great leveling stage of Glastonbury and putting the songs at the forefront was about combating the prevalent opinion of 'too bloated', and for a younger generation, 'completely irrelevant'.

Nah, huge audience, but we've seen that sort of thing before. It would be closest to the Super Bowl thing. Two or three highly staged, highly choreographed songs that everyone has heard a billion times before. Beautiful Day, Something Else, rent-a-crowd on the field waving flags from all nations and oh-so-sincere world coming together blah blah. Great opportunity to reach a ridiculously huge audience, but it wouldn't give anyone a new or different opinion of U2, wouldn't necessarily have any effect on them.

It's not the same as the opportunity Glastonbury offered - smaller audience, but targeted. A whole U2 set straight to the demographic that is least interested, or has the worst perception of them? Great opportunity. An 'Olympic' gig alongside, I dunno, Take That? Or a Glastonbury gig alongside contemporaries they have spawned like Coldplay, and contemporaries they are seen to be tracking well behind, like Radiohead? If you're talking about proving a point - the Glastonbury opportunity wins by some margin.

And it's kinda what the negative expectation is anyway. That these days U2 are more of a Choreographed Olympic Opening Ceremony Legends Band than a Working For It Current Glastonbury Band. Good to play against that.

*that said, I wonder what the setlist would be like previous year, had Bono's back not interferred. 2010 shows in Europe featured some brand new songs...

I said a page or so back, Willie said 2010 was going to be 'three acts'. Act 1: 80s Anthems (opening with Streets), Act 2: ZooTV Opening Run, Act 3: The Present. That would have given it a different feel (and almost certainly better pacing, IMO), but I think the only major difference song-wise would be in 'The Present.' I sincerely doubt they would have played any of those new songs, but 2010 might have seen a Crazy Tonight or something slip in there.

You know who he is right? I don't think you 'hire' him, I think you commission him, and it costs you half your budget.

Damien Hirst sale breaks art auction record, raking in £70.5 million in its first day - Telegraph

Although he is a friend of the bands, has donated stuff to charity auctions Bono has run, and I read somewhere that Edge is a big collector of his stuff. I really liked those visuals too. BBC footage doesn't capture them well. The opening sequence of the fly larvae was a 'confronting' opening - the whole Even Better intro, from the end of Space Oddity to Larry kicking in, was what could have looked like maggots crawling over a carcass or something, but the rest of it was stunning (and the girl was cute as sin.)

Not 'change', no. But it's about combating an opinion. Like rushing the 80s Best Of out (and Sweetest Thing single) was in part to combat the mostly US-centric prevalent opinion of 'too weird' or whatever, I think in part getting up there at the great leveling stage of Glastonbury and putting the songs at the forefront was about combating the prevalent opinion of 'too bloated', and for a younger generation, 'completely irrelevant'.

I said a page or so back, Willie said 2010 was going to be 'three acts'. Act 1: 80s Anthems (opening with Streets), Act 2: ZooTV Opening Run, Act 3: The Present. That would have given it a different feel (and almost certainly better pacing, IMO), but I think the only major difference song-wise would be in 'The Present.' I sincerely doubt they would have played any of those new songs, but 2010 might have seen a Crazy Tonight or something slip in there.

I know who Hirst is. I assume he's friends of the band (Bono?).

But could it change the "bloated/irrelevant" perception, even with a fantastic performance ? It was one thing coming off the "preachy/earnest" image with a great album like AB and Zoo TV visuals, and being 30-ish. It was one thing coming off the "weird" image with a comeback album and a well loved tour like Elevation and turning 40.
Contrast this with coming off, yes, a HUGE tour, but a indifferent response to NLOTH. And being 50.

I appreciate the ambition and the plan, but I honestly think it was all a bit Mission Impossible for them.

Meh...I'm not thrilled about that setlist idea either. The problem with their set was 3 fold:

- if they go in with a bang - and that Zoo TV was a bang - you have to keep up the pace. But they never did.

- Why play Stay, or any acoustic song, in this energetic setlist ? Swap for NYD and use the UTEOTW-NYD combo. Alternatively swap for Bullet or Desire.

- Put One in the encore where it belongs. Play Streets later (right after Pride).

On a lesser note, play 40 instead of MOS if you're into "career overviw" setlist. Though nice save with Out of control.

There's loads different I would have done with the setlist. From an audience perspective though, the only two difficulties it really had were a kind of U2-unique problem of a sort of 'Anthem Fatigue' that seemed to set in during the second (post Stay) half of the main set, and the encore that completely tanked (Boots completely tanked as well, but one song, whatever.)

One thing about the set - it seems the space station moment is almost universally regarded as a highlight. Almost everyone seems to think it was unique for Glastonbury, no-one seems to be aware of it being an every-night thing for the band , and even given the extra significance to it going over everyone's heads in the UK, it really was a talking point on-site over the weekend. And Glastonbury encores should not end on a moody or quiet note. They should end on a rousing, warm, singalong. So simple change in hindsight - WOWY closes the main set post-Pride, encore is Beautiful Day + All I Want is You. Easy.

I still think Streets would have been fine in that spot if they had gotten the ending right. Streets is an easy victory down the end, but it doesn't have to be the only remedy. And Glastonbury sets are often loaded at the front. Everyone drops a few monsters in the opening run. If anything, the 2010 plan would have played more to Glastonbury expectations by dropping all those 80s anthems up front. Bands know that a great proportion of that crowd are only casually inquisitive at best, with many, many other options available a short walking distance away, and of course there's a flick-happy tv audience at home too. Notice U2 slipped Streets in right before the BBC channel changeover that was set to lose half the tv audience.

- Why play Stay, or any acoustic song, in this energetic setlist ?

Trust me, when you'd been jumping around in the sodden mud for the last 30 minutes, I (and I imagine the others in 'the pit') were grateful for something more chilled out. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom