U2 after Glastonbury thoughts and chats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 were very good at Glastonbury, The Edge seemed to be well into the show. I'm not sure if it's just the sound mix on TV but between songs it's so quiet. So much so that going by the TV coverage had Moment Of Surrender been the last song they would have gone out with a whimper and not a bang. I suspect Out Of Control was a last second decision.

As for Coldplay, they've wanted to be U2 ever since supporting them at Slane Castle in 2001, adopting parts of their stage set (4 static screens) and on stage announcements (ie Thank's for a great life)

Have you read the comments under this article? People HATE U2,dont have a clue why.

But the performance has gathered nothing but good reviews in the UK magazines so far.

Personally, having watched the show again, without BBC presenters cutting in or computer not working 100%, I was too harsh on it. Still think the setlist could have done a little retooling (swap acoustic Stay for Desire or Bullet the blue sky, go with UTEOTW-NYD combo and move One in the encore, play Streets right after Pride, close with 40 instead of MOS, swap Boots for NLOTH...) but given the jetlag, the rain, the current less-than-thrilled attitude in the British papers re:U2 (tax evasion, mansions building...), and the fact this was almost a full set in front of a non U2 crowd and a non U2 stage, and considering their usual one-off performances quality... this was the best non-regular tour U2 show they've ever done.

But the performance has gathered nothing but good reviews in the UK magazines so far.

Personally, having watched the show again, without BBC presenters cutting in or computer not working 100%, I was too harsh on it. Still think the setlist could have done a little retooling (swap acoustic Stay for Desire or Bullet the blue sky, go with UTEOTW-NYD combo and move One in the encore, play Streets right after Pride, close with 40 instead of MOS, swap Boots for NLOTH...) but given the jetlag, the rain, the current less-than-thrilled attitude in the British papers re:U2 (tax evasion, mansions building...), and the fact this was almost a full set in front of a non U2 crowd and a non U2 stage, and considering their usual one-off performances quality... this was the best non-regular tour U2 show they've ever done.

Where did you find the show without the presenters? did it have the full ISHFWILF intro?

There was a lot of extra energy in this performance(which doesn't equate to running around). U2 had the old magic back where they felt they had something to prove, to a fresh set of eyes that wasn't their great yet very indifferent fan base.

This show was as good as any of the shows they've ever put on given this circumstance. I enjoyed it as much as ZooTV from Sydney or Slane Castle, for my money this was one of the best if not the best performance from start to end that they have ever done for a full set list, and I have heard many.

Bit of a strange review from a site called sabotagetimes:

It was one of the more hyped headline sets of recent years. U2, undisputed kings of bombast, making a rare foray into festival season by leading the Friday night at Glastonbury. It was a choice praised and reviled in equal measure. So after more debate than Prime Minister’s Questions and a year-long delay due to Bono’s sick note, the only real question is: was it any good?

Well, yes and no. Thankfully there was no attempt to shove the full ‘For The Fans’ set down the throats of the mostly intrigued-at-best Glasto crowd. It was, for the most part, a Greatest Hits set, designed to win over the ambivalent while satiating the hardcore down the front.

Kicking off with ‘Even Better Than The Real Thing’, it quickly became obvious that this was going to be ‘The History Of U2 For Dummies’, moving mostly throughout the band’s late 80s’/early 90s’ heyday. The requisite mad lighting show was in full effect of course, lighting up the Pyramid field with a sloganeering meltdown from the Zooropa era that, to the uninitiated, could easily pass for a cheeky nod to Bono’s second occupation. It wasn’t until ‘Mysterious Ways’ three tracks in, though, that the audience started waking up. And therein lies the rub.

The frankly bizarre decision to close the set with ‘Out Of Control’ meant the band went out with a whimper, not a bang.

U2 have not, for a very long time, had to work to win over those who’ve come to see them live. And it shows. It’s admirable that they’ve even bothered with Glastonbury, as they clearly have no need to, and their choice of songs highlights at least a passing awareness of the precariousness of this particular situation. But in a festival environment, just entertaining the ten thousand dedicated down the front is no good: you have to entertain absolutely everyone, including the blokes who get dragged along by their ladies. It’s a different playing field. On this score, judging by the hoards of people down the front who started leaving early on and kept leaving throughout, the band couldn’t hold court strongly enough to convert passing interest into new converts to the U2 cult.

Most telling was the fact that during ’Where The Streets Have No Name’ and ‘Pride (In The Name Of Love)’, large sections of the audience could be heard mumbling in that way you do when you should know the words but don’t. There was too much of that in an overly front-loaded set, and although it was somewhat redeemed by the late appearance of ‘With Or Without You’, there simply weren’t enough mass singalong moments to drive a festival headline set. The frankly bizarre decision to close the set with ‘Out Of Control’ meant the band went out with a whimper, not a bang.

U2, of course, can’t be faulted for showmanship; they are indisputably the world’s best at what they do, and so it was again here. But when it comes to The Great Glastonbury Experiment, they were only moderately successful. In the end a passing observation I overheard sums up the problem: U2 didn’t seem sure if the audience liked them, and the audience weren’t sure if they should like U2. It was a worthy effort, but in the end, just not good enough.

It was one of the more hyped headline sets of recent years. U2, undisputed kings of bombast, making a rare foray into festival season by leading the Friday night at Glastonbury. It was a choice praised and reviled in equal measure. So after more debate than Prime Minister’s Questions and a year-long delay due to Bono’s sick note, the only real question is: was it any good?

Well, yes and no. Thankfully there was no attempt to shove the full ‘For The Fans’ set down the throats of the mostly intrigued-at-best Glasto crowd. It was, for the most part, a Greatest Hits set, designed to win over the ambivalent while satiating the hardcore down the front.

Kicking off with ‘Even Better Than The Real Thing’, it quickly became obvious that this was going to be ‘The History Of U2 For Dummies’, moving mostly throughout the band’s late 80s’/early 90s’ heyday. The requisite mad lighting show was in full effect of course, lighting up the Pyramid field with a sloganeering meltdown from the Zooropa era that, to the uninitiated, could easily pass for a cheeky nod to Bono’s second occupation. It wasn’t until ‘Mysterious Ways’ three tracks in, though, that the audience started waking up. And therein lies the rub.

The frankly bizarre decision to close the set with ‘Out Of Control’ meant the band went out with a whimper, not a bang.

U2 have not, for a very long time, had to work to win over those who’ve come to see them live. And it shows. It’s admirable that they’ve even bothered with Glastonbury, as they clearly have no need to, and their choice of songs highlights at least a passing awareness of the precariousness of this particular situation. But in a festival environment, just entertaining the ten thousand dedicated down the front is no good: you have to entertain absolutely everyone, including the blokes who get dragged along by their ladies. It’s a different playing field. On this score, judging by the hoards of people down the front who started leaving early on and kept leaving throughout, the band couldn’t hold court strongly enough to convert passing interest into new converts to the U2 cult.

Most telling was the fact that during ’Where The Streets Have No Name’ and ‘Pride (In The Name Of Love)’, large sections of the audience could be heard mumbling in that way you do when you should know the words but don’t. There was too much of that in an overly front-loaded set, and although it was somewhat redeemed by the late appearance of ‘With Or Without You’, there simply weren’t enough mass singalong moments to drive a festival headline set. The frankly bizarre decision to close the set with ‘Out Of Control’ meant the band went out with a whimper, not a bang.

U2, of course, can’t be faulted for showmanship; they are indisputably the world’s best at what they do, and so it was again here. But when it comes to The Great Glastonbury Experiment, they were only moderately successful. In the end a passing observation I overheard sums up the problem: U2 didn’t seem sure if the audience liked them, and the audience weren’t sure if they should like U2. It was a worthy effort, but in the end, just not good enough.

The History of U2 for Dummies? :lol:

Just read somewhere U2 have seen a 247% increase in orders on amazon.co.uk and albums and singles have jumped quite a bit on itunes

The figures I've seen say that there's been a 747% increase in sales rather than 247%.

I've got friends at Glastonbury at the moment who said U2's set was amazing. They're luke warm fans at best, (liked a few songs if that but that's all) never seen them in concert before and said they were absolutely blown away. They were about half way back from the stage and everyone around them seemed to be really into it but they said the conditions were terrible that night, cold, driving rain and really thick mud so it was difficult to move around never mind jump or dance. They thought Coldplay were brilliant too but the better weather made it a much more relaxed atmosphere - everyone seemed determined to have a good time whatever the set and they were preaching to the converted anyway.

Most telling was the fact that during ’Where The Streets Have No Name’ and ‘Pride (In The Name Of Love)’, large sections of the audience could be heard mumbling in that way you do when you should know the words but don’t.

:scratch: OOC a whimper? Really? And I don't know how people mumbling lyrics is a slight against the band/the set -- those hipsters should have educated themselves better! And if people were mumbling -- at least they were pulled in enough to try and participate.

I don't know, that whole review was rather strange to me, but I suppose that is more a show of my perennial inability to understand music critics.

I've just returned from Glastonbury, Beyonce wasn't enough to keep us there for another night and my poor feet have got enough blisters to last me until Songs Of Ascent is released:lol:

Just watching the re run and must say it looked a lot better on the tv. But I am going to post my original thoughts!

The sound was fucking shite, we were by the mixing desk, I can't speak for the rest of the field (we watched Coldplay from further back and the sound was much better and more importantly much LOUDER.)

To me the band, especially Bono, looked almost scared and intimidated by an audience that wasn't the all adoring U2 crowd (despite Jem and Joyces best efforts). A bit of swagger was missing imo. In their defence the weather was terrible and the stage, after looking on tv, almost had puddles on. I don't think Bono was comfortable with the big gap at front of stage. If you're gonna have a catwalk at least make it worthwhile!

A few points of note

Four big screens, biggest band in the world and to introduce U2 to Glasto we get some Damien Hirst wankfest film of a slug or fly or something. Four big screens, four band members,not that difficult is it?

Trying to encorage a Glasto singalong at the end of Bad, but not Pride or WOWY, bit silly really.

Making a big thing about Streets in the lead-up interviews then just plonking it in about 6th place in the set, hello! encore opener!!!! Not to include the organ intro to give more of a build up was criminal also.

Out Of Control. Fucking ace!

I didn't want to sound too negative, but I do think the band looked uncomfortable with their surrounding. I'm sure if they played a few more shows like this would soon realise that you have to work harder at a festival crowd and cannot just rely on 100% crowd adulation.

It was great to meet up for the first time with Matt (Earnie Shavers), Patrick (Gareth Brown) and Joyce (Domo-Kun) the night before the show and to meet Jem (Bonoishot) again. Matt I hope you managed to get to the pyramid through the swamp after Radiohead. Patrick hope you made Pulp (we did)

Great little drink beforehand with Cathal (I will leave the story of how he got there to him!), Brad and Javi. Which continued well into and after the U2 set with rather amusing consequences......

I didn't actually take many U2 pics during the show as I had one hand on a bottle of Bacardi and one hand on a bottle of Pimms. But I will post a few images of Glastonbury in general

Edit: Shit! Wrong forum:lol: Will post in reviews etc

Shame you didnt really enjoy the set mate, it really looked amazing on the tv, hope you enjoyed the festival as a whole

Watching it on TV it looked as if Bono waas doing everything he could to connect with the crowd,only the distance from the crowd stopped him from doing that. On saying that i thought it was an outstanding show.

super fly guy said:
Watching it on TV it looked as if Bono waas doing everything he could to connect with the crowd,only the distance from the crowd stopped him from doing that. On saying that i thought it was an outstanding show.

I also quite liked the bad singalong

You can also watch it here.

That article in The Telegraph was weird. I couldn't really tell if the author liked the performance or was hating on the band or was making suggestions for improvement -- very mixed. And those comments :angry: Lots of stinky people out there.

Me -- I loved the performance! I was really glad to see most of it streaming on Friday. It's great to have access to it so soon afterward. I saw an interview of the band after their performance and YES, they didn't like being so far from the crowd and the slippery floor was definitely a problem. They didn't seem nervous just a little taken aback from the surroundings. Nice filming, sound mixing etc. What an amazing age we live in.

:applaud:

Shame you didnt really enjoy the set mate, it really looked amazing on the tv, hope you enjoyed the festival as a whole

Don't get me wrong Kevin, we had a great time and DID enjoy U2's set. I've just watched the post show interview and I think it confirms what I said in part that the band looked uncomfortable, but perhaps more because of the stage and weather. I tried to give my immediate post show impression and I guess at the time I was putting that down more to the occasion than the conditions?

KEVIN051269 said:
Don't get me wrong Kevin, we had a great time and DID enjoy U2's set. I've just watched the post show interview and I think it confirms what I said in part that the band looked uncomfortable, but perhaps more because of the stage and weather. I tried to give my immediate post show impression and I guess at the time I was putting that down more to the occasion than the conditions?

Bono was pretty much rooted to the spot because of the state of the stage, but i seen a passion in him, as if he was fighting to prove just how good U2 are,

Glad you had a good time :up:

To give you an idea of how much rain fell before and during U2's set

Pyramid stage earlier in the day

100_1290.jpg

Side of Pyramid stage afterwards

100_1365.jpg

I think the only reason they 'looked uncomfortable' is because they were so far out of their element for a show like this. The past two years they've been on 360, really trying to connect with the audience and to be as far out into the crowd as possible. Whereas at Glasto, there was a HUGE space between band and crowd, plus you've got the rain and slippery stage, so Bono can't run around like he usually does (although, I must say, I loved the little Elevation-era duel between B-man and Edge at the end of UTEOTW).

Also, I think closing the main set with SBS, Bad, and then Pride was a great decision.

And I don't know how anyone can say that they closed the whole show with a "whimper and not a bang". Don't those people know how lucky they are to have seen Out of Control live?!?!?

I thought it was a perfect closer. It kind of tied the whole performance together and really brought them back to their roots, by playing their very first single. :drool:

Really good review in the News Of The Worlds music section. She also stated that the encore was a bit strange for the not so ardent U2 fan by closing with OOC. I thought the OOC song was well received. But her review was really good.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/not...usic/1333136/U2-play-at-Glastonbury-2011.html

Having watched it again I think it was a great performance. I thought Bono was in fine form. Chris Martin was interviewed after his bands show last night and stated that he had watched the show from the back and said they were awesome. Said he felt like a 14 year old fan.

no need for a personal attack, just seems like a stupid thing to call Coldplay fans "lame" for doing the exact same thing U2 fans across the world did 24 hours earlier...

no need for a personal attack, just seems like a stupid thing to call Coldplay fans "lame" for doing the exact same thing U2 fans across the world did 24 hours earlier...

I was just coming back to re-edit my post, I misread what you wrote, I thought you were having a dig at me, I was wrong, sorry dude. In actual fact you're quite right.

No sure why people are complaining! Sounds great to me, the snippet is amazing, and the singalong is something that certainly didn't appear at the Melbourne gig, don't know about the other times it's been played this tour.

Well I missed the first few songs, :(, but turning on and hearing a Zoo one made me happy, I just cant remember which one. LOL! I was half listening/watching, but I did enjoy what was played, and I loved that they done old hits and it was a little magical sounding for me when, yea, I know he done a quick Coldplay ref. song, but that along with this soft guitaring sound from Edge, well sounded like that, with the image of the camera panning over the crowd and you could see way into the background, and then them breaking into Moment of Surrender was wonderful!

I still love how after the show, when U2 talked to Zane and Jo, how when talking to Larry he said he hated how the crowd where so far away! :D:D:D

Bono was a bit drunk or so, lol! :lol::applaud:

I'll write up something longer tomorrow, but I've just gotten back from Glastonbury this evening and, well, I haven't slept for days so to be blunt: can't be arsed right now.

In short - they competently landed the gig under extremely difficult circumstances, but they didn't knock it out of the park.

I personally thought watching U2 up on a tightrope like that was absolutely electrifying. I've never seen anything like it from them before, and we might never see it again. Almost certainly not, after this. I feel lucky to have seen that. Completely unique. They were in trouble from the get-go, and they were clearly terrified. It was amazing to see. And so for a few reasons - some their fault, some not - they both couldn't and didn't quite get there. A real missed opportunity, and a real shame, but not in itself a bad gig, quite the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom