U2 360° Tour - the best documented tour in history?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
So the opening night of the tour I was showing my roommate clips of the show, and he was really impressed that so many video clips had surfaced just hours after the show had ended, and that I already knew everything they played. He said it had to be the best documented tour in history, and I wonder if maybe he's right. We know the setlists as they happen, often with live streams. Every show has pictures, audio clips, and video clips, including full bootlegs and HD video, and many of them show up right after the show ends. Thanks to Twitter photos are uploaded during the show. It's like the world is watching the tour as it unfolds. Are fans of other bands this fanatical? Do they have setlist parties? Could I find over 1,000 clips on youtube from one city on any other band's tour? (search U2 360 tour milan. There are 1,310 results). It seems to me that modern technology + the biggest band in the world = the world's best documented tour to date.

Thoughts?

Yeah...it's actually pretty incredible....I've just been youtubing every single show watching certain performances, downloading a few bootlegs, looking at pics, reviews, everything...I agree. :up:

I am amazed at the number of high quality vids coming from each venue. Personally...am loving trawling through youtube checking out the performances:drool:

i loved the site that was linked from here which had a youtube video for each site of one of the shows (maybe opening night).

i'm so glad i'm living in 2009, but i'm jealous of how things are going to be 25-30 years from now.

-dan

i loved the site that was linked from here which had a youtube video for each site of one of the shows (maybe opening night).

i'm so glad i'm living in 2009, but i'm jealous of how things are going to be 25-30 years from now.

-dan

...you mean when U2 is gone? No thanks. :wink:

...you mean when U2 is gone? No thanks. :wink:

yeah, I kind of wish I had grown up in the 80's. I discovered U2 during Popmart, but I was just a kid then so I couldn't go see them. Would have been awesome to be able to see more U2 tours and follow them on their journey...

but as for the original topic, would you all agree that this pretty much confirms U2 is the biggest band in the world, and/or the most important live band?

yeah, I kind of wish I had grown up in the 80's. I discovered U2 during Popmart, but I was just a kid then so I couldn't go see them. Would have been awesome to be able to see more U2 tours and follow them on their journey...

but as for the original topic, would you all agree that this pretty much confirms U2 is the biggest band in the world, and/or the most important live band?

I always consider myself lucky that I more or less grew up with U2's music....been listening to them since 82 or 83, and it's been fantastic to anticipate so many albums of theirs over the years.

Sometimes, though, I am envious of people that came to them late, and got to discover this treasure trove of music from their past. That must be amazing, to have first heard them when Pop was released, then got to go back and trace their path that lead them to Pop, or whatever album you started with.

I feel the same about being from NYC....I love that city to death, but never really got to see Manhattan for the first time, if you know what I mean....it was just always there.

I always consider myself lucky that I more or less grew up with U2's music....been listening to them since 82 or 83, and it's been fantastic to anticipate so many albums of theirs over the years.

Sometimes, though, I am envious of people that came to them late, and got to discover this treasure trove of music from their past. That must be amazing, to have first heard them when Pop was released, then got to go back and trace their path that lead them to Pop, or whatever album you started with.

yeah, I heard Pop when I was just 9 years old and fell in love instantly. JT was the second album I got. You'd think it would strike me as odd that it didn't sound a whole lot like Pop, but I don't remember ever thinking that. I just remember loving that, too. And then Zooropa, R&H, and so on. I actually didn't get AB til I was 12 or so (I think even after ATYCLB came out...? maybe) and by then I had almost every other U2 album so imagine the shock when I heard what I'd been missing for three years :lol:

I consider myself lucky to have discovered them at such a young age though. I was kind of not super into U2 when ATYCLB came out until I heard BD...BD reminded me why U2 are the best band ever. But I've had the experience of anticipating two albums, and I'll be seeing them for the 4th time this tour, spanning three tours. Not bad for someone about to turn 21 :wink:

Still gotta say though, I'm jealous of your longtime fandom :p very, very cool that you've stuck with them through the years.

yeah, I heard Pop when I was just 9 years old and fell in love instantly. JT was the second album I got. You'd think it would strike me as odd that it didn't sound a whole lot like Pop, but I don't remember ever thinking that. I just remember loving that, too. And then Zooropa, R&H, and so on. I actually didn't get AB til I was 12 or so (I think even after ATYCLB came out...? maybe) and by then I had almost every other U2 album so imagine the shock when I heard what I'd been missing for three years :lol:

I consider myself lucky to have discovered them at such a young age though. I was kind of not super into U2 when ATYCLB came out until I heard BD...BD reminded me why U2 are the best band ever. But I've had the experience of anticipating two albums, and I'll be seeing them for the 4th time this tour, spanning three tours. Not bad for someone about to turn 21 :wink:

Still gotta say though, I'm jealous of your longtime fandom :p very, very cool that you've stuck with them through the years.

They've been easy to stick with.

I think my favorite music listening experience of all-time was my first JT listen. I was blown away. There was so much hair band rock going on, and here comes this masterpiece. Though, my first AB listen was amazing, too, cos there was no internet, etc, I had no idea how radically different of an album it was going to be....the first 30 seconds of Zoo Station were a fantastic "WTF" moment for me. :)

But, yeah, not bad for 21 for you. UNNNNGH!

stop posting positive threads around here. it's not allowed.

er, well, maybe I'm angry about it. Yeah! I hate well documented tours :angry: I have to see the same songs over and over again on youtube!!1 And Edge's gay mic!!!! i hait u2.

I think my favorite music listening experience of all-time was my first JT listen. I was blown away. There was so much hair band rock going on, and here comes this masterpiece. Though, my first AB listen was amazing, too, cos there was no internet, etc, I had no idea how radically different of an album it was going to be....the first 30 seconds of Zoo Station were a fantastic "WTF" moment for me. :)

That's so cool. :D

One time I listened to every U2 album in a row (well, with some breaks. it took me 2 days). It's quite a fantastic journey :D

I do that before every new album release :reject:

:up:

I actually listened to nothing but U2 for over a month for this album release :D which, y'know, there are plenty of times when I go through phases where I don't listen to U2 much, because I'm more into heavier music or whatever. but I always come back to them eventually, and cheesy as it sounds there was a real joy there when I was in full-blown U2 mode. Something about that band just makes me happy.

I actually listened to nothing but U2 for over a month for this album release :D which, y'know, there are plenty of times when I go through phases where I don't listen to U2 much, because I'm more into heavier music or whatever. but I always come back to them eventually, and cheesy as it sounds there was a real joy there when I was in full-blown U2 mode. Something about that band just makes me happy.

I used to listen to them a lot more often years ago. Now, I go through phases, much as it seems like you do. While there are people on this site whose musical appetite dwarfs mine, I do listen to quite a lot of music and so it's natural that there are long periods of time where I'm just not listening to U2. But when the itch arrives, it's awesome.....and, it is cheesy, but I know exactly what you mean...they are that rare band whose music is truly joyous.

But when the itch arrives, it's awesome.....and, it is cheesy, but I know exactly what you mean...they are that rare band whose music is truly joyous.

There is nothing cheesy about music making you happy. :)

Even if you get that feeling from cheesy music. :wink:

I used to listen to them a lot more often years ago. Now, I go through phases, much as it seems like you do. While there are people on this site whose musical appetite dwarfs mine, I do listen to quite a lot of music and so it's natural that there are long periods of time where I'm just not listening to U2. But when the itch arrives, it's awesome.....and, it is cheesy, but I know exactly what you mean...they are that rare band whose music is truly joyous.

Exactly.

I'm the same for sure. When I was a kid I am quite sure there were months - maybe even a year? - where I listened to nothing but U2. Hell, I'm pretty sure Pop didn't leave my CD player for at least a month. Whenever we were in the car I'd always make my mom play it, so eventually she just gave me the CD (it was hers).

I remember my stepmom bought me an REM CD because she didn't think it was healthy for me to listen to U2 all the time :lol: I listened to it once and went back to U2...have never been a huge REM fan I confess :reject: U2 just had so much variety, I didn't see a reason to need to listen to anything else :shrug:

It HAS to be the most documented tour in history, at least for now. This is due to two factors: 90,000 people at each show, and we live in an era where most of those fans have cell phone cameras, video recorders, etc. Plus, U2 has cultivated a thriving, organic online community of fans over the years, which is the distribution mechanism / jumping-off-point for all these fans to post their pics and videos and thoughts to websites, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Same here, feels like a vacation, but it drives everyone around me crazy haha....I had 90's B-Sides and Zooropa in the car-pool for all of May, what can I say - I give people Heaven and they give me Hell!

Back
Top Bottom