U.S. Tour 2009: Speculation, Rumors, and Conjecture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 issue warning against bogus tour

Contact Music, January 08, 2009

Irish rockers U2 have warned fans against buying tickets for a purported summer (09) tour - because any proposed dates are bogus.

The Beautiful Day hitmakers are due to release their first album in five years, New Line on the Horizon, in March (09). But the band insist they've yet to confirm plans for a tour, so any concert dates being touted online are fake.

A statement posted on their official website reads: "Please don't get stung by buying tickets for shows that don't exist. You can be sure any future live announcements will be made on U2.com as soon as details are confirmed."

It's the second time in six months U2 have had to make fans aware of counterfeit tickets circulating the internet - they were also forced to speak out in August (08) to correct reports suggesting they were preparing to hit the road.

(c) Contact Music, 2009.

This may put a damper on things, but who knows for sure. Obama might have the US economy fixed by then.

No, and Mickey G would be unlikely to bet on that. But I think U2 could conceivably pull off a (smaller) U.S. stadium tour. No PopMart, but they could do something successfully.

No, and Mickey G would be unlikely to bet on that. But I think U2 could conceivably pull off a (smaller) U.S. stadium tour. No PopMart, but they could do something successfully.

well if the latest rumor (apparently some fans at HQ spoke to Adam and said the tour was going to start in Europe in the summer) is true the stadium thing ain't gonna happen in the US in the fall that's for sure. I honestly don't think they'll do stadiums in the US for this tour.. Just a feeling but hey, anything can happen. :shrug:

A tour is only as good as the album. Let's hope they can truly re-invent themselves again, Achtung Baby style. :hyper:

A tour is only as good as the album. Let's hope they can truly re-invent themselves again, Achtung Baby style. :hyper:

:huh: I don't find this to be true at all... I've seen many tours that were better than the album and vice versa, it all depends on the band.

But, I'll assume for a second you only mean U2 and they can even turn some of their weaker albums into a great tour...

:huh: I don't find this to be true at all... I've seen many tours that were better than the album and vice versa, it all depends on the band.

But, I'll assume for a second you only mean U2 and they can even turn some of their weaker albums into a great tour...

Yes, I was referencing U2. If the album is flat then that will seriously diminish the tour, and if they go stadium shows in the US this tour U2 will certainly need strong material to draw the "New, young fans" that they indicate they want. Many stadiums dates wasn't nowhere close to full during the Popmart tour, and that tour suffered from a weak album.

Now I personally like Pop & Popmart, but U2 had issues getting good press & sell outs back then.

But IS it really also as much fun if you are not that close to the stage?? Or has your experience always been close up front? I am just asking - never done a stadium show, and now that i live in Europe chances are I will have to if I want to see them here. I was never overly too thrilled thinking that i could be hundreds of meters away from the stage....

i saw them at the Stade De France on Vertigo. Poor seats 3/4 of the way back in a 80,000 capacity stadium.
it was an unbelievable experience, better than any other U2 show i have seen

U2 could do US stadiums in September/October. They did it during Joshua Tree and Zoo TV. Plus the US has lots of indoor stadiums they could play in the colder months (3rd leg of Popmart tour). Also, the US has a lot of "mini-stadiums" we'll call them, used for Soccer and minor league baseball. These hold between 20-30,000, and could be options as well.

If the show they are designing is intended for stadiums, it'd be a shame for them to have to do a scaled down (aka lame) version of it for the US arenas. However, a city like St. Louis could not sell out a stadium. But they could easily sell out Scottrade Center or whatever it's called now. Should they deny those 17,000 people a show just because they all couldn't get 3 people to come with them to sell out Busch Stadium? I'd hope not.

U2 could do US stadiums in September/October. They did it during Joshua Tree and Zoo TV. Plus the US has lots of indoor stadiums they could play in the colder months (3rd leg of Popmart tour). Also, the US has a lot of "mini-stadiums" we'll call them, used for Soccer and minor league baseball. These hold between 20-30,000, and could be options as well.

If the show they are designing is intended for stadiums, it'd be a shame for them to have to do a scaled down (aka lame) version of it for the US arenas. However, a city like St. Louis could not sell out a stadium. But they could easily sell out Scottrade Center or whatever it's called now. Should they deny those 17,000 people a show just because they all couldn't get 3 people to come with them to sell out Busch Stadium? I'd hope not.
Sorry to say that but... "shit happens" to those smaller US cities. Portugal is just a little european country, but it has some cities over 50000 habitants (besides Lisboa and Porto), and it's not because of that that U2 only plays one single show every tour here and always in Lisboa... when there are several big names that played in other cities (Rolling Stones, Alanis Morrisette, George Michael, Depeche Mode) here...

Do you guys think it's possible for U2 to tour in Stadiums:
end June/ July/ part Aug Europe
end Aug/ Sept/ early Oct North America
Nov/ Dec Australasia
end Jan/ Feb 2010 South America
Mar/ April/ May North America
June/ July Europe
.... This sounds like a possibility to me. Provided the album is at least 'good' and ticket sales are ok in USA.

From what I heard about the very preliminary planning of the tour several months ago, I do think that people in cities like St. Louis and secondary markets may be disappointed, the word was that they are not going to be traveling all over the place for single shows this time but base themselves in the big cities and do more shows in them. So under that scenario, they can do stadiums with no arenas. Things could have (and probably have some) changed in the months since I heard this, but I think people in those areas should brace themselves for the prospect of traveling to someplace like Chicago, Houston, Atlanta or Toronto if they're wanting to see them this tour...

Do you guys think it's possible for U2 to tour in Stadiums:
end June/ July/ part Aug Europe
end Aug/ Sept/ early Oct North America
Nov/ Dec Australasia
end Jan/ Feb 2010 South America
Mar/ April/ May North America
June/ July Europe
.... This sounds like a possibility to me. Provided the album is at least 'good' and ticket sales are ok in USA.

Timetable is a bit tight...they will take a few weeks off for family hols, so I don't see North America starting until mid-September and going into November (covered stadiums and those in southern climes). Then Australasia and South America late Jan/early Feb. - March, then N. America again mid-late April/May/early June then Europe mid-late June through the end of July/early August. That's my thought.

From what I heard about the very preliminary planning of the tour several months ago, I do think that people in cities like St. Louis and secondary markets may be disappointed, the word was that they are not going to be traveling all over the place for single shows this time but base themselves in the big cities and do more shows in them. So under that scenario, they can do stadiums with no arenas. Things could have (and probably have some) changed in the months since I heard this, but I think people in those areas should brace themselves for the prospect of traveling to someplace like Chicago, Houston, Atlanta or Toronto if they're wanting to see them this tour...

Well I hate that idea. If they stick with that, there will be no show in Ohio at all. Probably have to go to Chicago. Detroit is a possibility, but who knows if they deam that city worthy.

So if they ONLY do stadiums in the US, what will that give us? A Couple shows in Toronto, NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago. Single shows in San Francisco, Vancouver, Texas, Miami, Atlanta, Washington D.C. MAYBE Seattle, Denver and Detroit. What does that give us, 20 shows? That won't satisfy demand at all.

:laugh: What's wrong with St. Louis? Why could they not sell out a Stadium? Honestly I think that's bull. There's roughly 3 million people living in the greater St. Lousi area. To suggest U2 coudln't sell out a stadium in St. Louis is a bit silly I think. If Edmonton, Alberta, Canada can sell out a 65 000 seat stadium with roughly only a million people living in the area than St. Louis sure as hell can

i saw them at the Stade De France on Vertigo. Poor seats 3/4 of the way back in a 80,000 capacity stadium.
it was an unbelievable experience, better than any other U2 show i have seen

Me too. I was in an 80 000 capactiy stadium. I was in similar seating - toward the back. It rained for about half an hour. It was humid as fuck. Sound quality wasn't great. And it was the greatest night of my life! Stadiums are the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom