Tour Rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 France | Exclusive: U2 get on their boots for 3 Croker crackers

Just read this...and I hope it's wrong and the band isn't really going to just do stadiums here in the U.S.

If so, I think this is either a mistake motivated by Live Nation's overestimation of U2's drawing power in the U.S., or the band is being adamant about keeping the tour short, not wanting to devote 18 months to being on the road again.

The kind of audience U2 now has -- and that can afford U2 prices -- is wide, but I'd say steers toward late 20s/30s and beyond. The older fans are less likely to be interested in the relatively shitty experience of seeing a band in a stadium with assigned seats on the floor, or even general admission (which I personally prefer), where you're left to look at the fucking jumbotron half the time to make out what's going on.

The sound also isn't as good as it is indoors.

Yes, hard core psycho-fans like folks here and yours truly will pay through the nose and attend, but I think many, many others might be inclined to skip it when they hear stadium.

And let's not forget the fact that the economy is tight and shelling $100+ for decent seats in an arena was going to be a bit of a stretch to begin with. I'm less likely to do that for the priviledge of seeing a band on a 360-degree stage, as rumored, while seated 30 yards away.

And their album has yet to come out. It's not like the single is being all that well received here.

I hope they include some arena shows in the U.S., or this could be a replay of the half-empty PopMart tour dates that sent them scurrying back to the comfort of arenas the last decade.

Anyway, I just read the article and needed to vent a bit. I imagine similar concerns have probably been brought up on this thread before and debated to death. Sorry that I didn't backread the thread first.

There is but one flag, the white flag,

Mark

Not only that, but the third PorMart leg (granted only 17 shows) went from October to December, and the third Joshua Tree leg (50 shows, mixed arena and stadium) went from September to December. It has been done before... what we don't know is if it can be done only on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I would hazard to say that doing that would be damn near impossible, but, hey, Bono is God.

It would be pretty impossible, but they don't have to everywhere that they're going to do in the U.S. in the Fall though...nothing that's been said precludes them from doing more dates in the Spring.

If they do indeed play stadiums in North America this Fall, tickets will be really easy to get, probably even for below face price at some point. That's good. On the other hand, seeing anyone in a stadium sucks, so the experience will pale in comparison to the two previous N.A. tours.

I planned on heading to Ireland and the UK to see them this summer, but now I think I'll pass, since stadium shows in countries I've seen already just aren't worth the effort and money, imho, even though the US Dollar is really strong right now vs. the Euro and Pound.

Ditto N.A. I'd hoped to see them in NY, Boston, eastern Canada and all over the West Coast, but if they're doing stadiums, forget it. I'll see the local Bay Area shows, Las Vegas and maybe a couple of dates on the East Coast, that's it.

I'll save my money for South America or OZ/NZ in 2010.

I think I only want to see U2 in stadiums.

The way I see it it will be tour start in Europe (stadium), fall leg in US (obviously arenas), maybe spring 2010 a US stadium tour, then the rest of the world (I hope so).

I never understand why U2 always tours so long in the US, while thy can reach many more people in Europe if they wanted. The Vertigo leg in Europe could easily be doubled and they would still sell out all...
But I wished they were less popular in Europe, so that I could finally see them indoor

I think I only want to see U2 in stadiums.

i'm the opposite... i've seen them in both, and much preferred the smaller arena setting... can't bear stadiums

guess tickets would be a major problem now for smaller venues though

I never understand why U2 always tours so long in the US, while thy can reach many more people in Europe if they wanted. The Vertigo leg in Europe could easily be doubled and they would still sell out all...
But I wished they were less popular in Europe, so that I could finally see them indoor

What stadium here would you like to see it then?

I agree that it'd be great if Europe also got a 2nd leg, but I feel it's more fair if they'd instead tour Austrasia and S.america and perhaps even Africa. I can understand if U2 feel that touring all these continents and europe and N. America both twice is a bit too much.

i'm the opposite... i've seen them in both, and much preferred the smaller arena setting... can't bear stadiums

guess tickets would be a major problem now for smaller venues though

I totally agree.

Though I can definitely see why they'd opt for stadiums.

Less number of shows played for larger audiences = less time playing shows while still getting the revenue.

Ticket scalping has been disastrous for fans and bands. If U2 played in arenas they would certainly have to commit to probably at least two times the number of shows. Bands are encouraged by their touring companies to play multiple arena shows to help thwart scalpers. In some cases a big band like U2 might be asked to play 3 shows in a major city like: Chicago, NY, and LA. Billy Joel recently played more than 5 gigs one night after the other in NY to beat the scalpers.

The other way to beat them is of course to play in huge venues like stadiums so that they can't buy out an entire GA section or something.

I hate the fact that they are thinking stadiums, but in the end my wallet may love it.

However, I don't buy that. Really? Not even start touring in the US at all until a year after the album's been released? There's no way. If they were to wait until 2010 to come to the US for outside gigs, then they're coming here in the fall/winter with indoor gigs. It's really just unrealistic to think that they'd delay a US leg until a whole year after the album's release. I understand that they do that with other countries & continents, but it just won't happen.

unless they take the fall/winter of 2009/10 to record another album with "every breaking wave" and "tripoli" or whatever, and then release that in one year's time and then start said US tour.

i mean, in a perfect world, that's what would be happening.

unless you're really close to the stage, the stadium show is not good. much prefer the intimacy of arenas. not looking forward to seeing them at the la coliseum or rose bowl. however, dodger stadium might be a little better. standing next to the eclipse inside the staples center is going to be hard to beat.

Seen them twice in a Stadium.....far away the first time, up close the second time........sound was brilliant both times.

It depends on how audio friendly the venue is.

I can't see how they would wait to tour US stadiums more than a year after NoLOTH comes out UNLESS they release some kind of EP/Zooropa-type album to generate more interest in 2010. Honestly I'm not sure what they'll do. Maybe do a few arena dates in North America in the fall?

I for one am hoping for stadiums in the U.S. it will allow them to keep the prices down since you obviously fit more people into stadiums as opposed to arenas where there's less people and seats tend to be more expensive

I can't see how they would wait to tour US stadiums more than a year after NoLOTH comes out UNLESS they release some kind of EP/Zooropa-type album to generate more interest in 2010. Honestly I'm not sure what they'll do. Maybe do a few arena dates in North America in the fall?

this isn't gonna happen. No way. I think the rumor of them starting the tour in the summer in europe with US in the fall '09 is what's gonna happen. It just makes sense from what I have read so far.

Thank god I don't have to hope for a Winnipeg show this time around. I will be leaving in Toronto or Chicago come fall time.

Someone on another forum said that Bono told fans yesterday outside the studio that the tour would start with two shows in Barcelona.

australian leg of the tour

Please someone tell me if Australia going to be lucky enough again to get the tour...if not i am going to fly to bloody Dublin....I can't miss this one..anyone know...

I wouldn't assume anything until they officially announce the tour. It's not worth getting upset over yet.

I hope they hurry up with the tour announcement, assuming the European leg comes in the summer, I need to book some time off work before it's too late!

I was half tempted in bookin flights to dublin for the July rumours roaming around, but holding out for some OFFICIAL news by early March

Back
Top Bottom