Tour in March, Vegas start - says Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2place.com has the news. Sam again said that the album ought to be ready for October, meanwhile Edge says the tour starts in March in US (in Las Vegas) and continues in Europe.

pretty much business as usual. this is great news! they are starting to talk now, i reckon they didn't want to say too much earlier in the year, but now know that things are easily on target!

bring on the madness!

OMG, start in Vegas, how much better can it get. :hyper:

Damn, you'd think after Popmart they would never start a tour in Vegas again. I wish someone would get some information on whether they're planning arenas or stadiums in the U.S.

So that means Europe in Summer!!!! I guess they'll play stadiums again. Didn't someone mention tour kick-off in Wembley?

Fear not rest of the world, after the reaction they got during the vertigo tour from you guys they be fools not to play again. Im also thinking maybe a South American tour DVD

Great news...hope they will be coming to Oz but I have a feeling they won't.

As long as the Australian dollar's value remains strong and the album performs well on the charts like it predictably will, U2 should tour down here. The Vertigo Tour's Aussie/Kiwi leg was a massive success and demonstrates there's sufficient demand for U2 that only a monumental collapse in the dollar's value or the album spectacularly flopping would make a tour unviable. Honestly, if they do come down here, I expect both Adelaide and Perth would get concerts for the first time since 1989 (Perth was skipped in 1993 and 2006 while Adelaide was skipped in 1998).

if we were to believe this i'd have to assume that the album is done and they're just mixing at this point... so as to not to repeat the pop alleged "mistake" of booking the tour before the album was finished.

if we really are looking at an october album release then we're probably under 100 days away from hearing the single, if you figure the single would be released in late august/early september.

if we were to believe this i'd have to assume that the album is done and they're just mixing at this point... so as to not to repeat the pop alleged "mistake" of booking the tour before the album was finished.

if we really are looking at an october album release then we're probably under 100 days away from hearing the single, if you figure the single would be released in late august/early september.

i agree with this and would like to add that i think it'd be august we'd hear the single. Vertigo was 'released' (or leaked, whichever) on Sept. 23 04. The album came out 2 months after that. Beautiful Day came out, I don't recall which day exactly, but it was in August.

Either way, you're right and it's starting to get exciting.

pretty much as expected. album in fall, tour in spring.

CANT WAIT!!!!
this album is going to be great

So that means Europe in Summer!!!! I guess they'll play stadiums again. Didn't someone mention tour kick-off in Wembley?

Europe could be stadiums only or a mix of indoor venues and bigger outdoor venues.. Elevation 2001 was great.. Loads of small shows.. let's wait and see...

I wonder if the decision to open in Vegas is to somehow put the ghost of Pop to rest, or because they have something really wild planned.

This is exciting.

Since they have their own plane, probably not. They'll have to pay for fuel as is. Unless it's so expensive they've decided to just fly normal first class, but that's dubious.

They don't actually own their own plane. They do long term leases during tours. They will lease a plane for the US sections usually from a charter company based in the US then they will let that go at the end of the US leg then lease a different plane in Europe for that leg. Longer term leases like that have no problem with repainting the planes to suite their customers. Just like when they were using buses, Bono commented that they leased busses from country artists because they really knew how to set up a tour bus.

Dana

P.S. The travel costs for the crew will probably be pretty steep so they may have to find some way to lock in those costs maybe with plane leases or buses rather than regular commercial flights. This is probably a major factor in not announcing a full world tour now because who knows what the transport costs to Australia might be. Those legs of the tour are always less profitable due to higher costs and if the Aussie dollar is strong that makes it worse for them not better because the exchange rate for them will be bad.

Hit up some shows during the first NA leg, some when I'm in Europe over the summer, and then hopefully leg 3 back in the US for the fall. OK all my money in 2009 is dedicated to U2, wonderful and daunting at the same time haha.

Those legs of the tour are always less profitable due to higher costs and if the Aussie dollar is strong that makes it worse for them not better because the exchange rate for them will be bad.

Wouldn't they be getting paid for that leg of the tour in local currency though? I mean if they made 100 million AUD in 2006 that translated into only about 58 million EUR, but if they made the same 100 million AUD today with the stronger currency they'd actually make about 63 million EUR, so the strong currency could even offset some of the increase in costs to get them there.

With the EUR the way it is it might even make more sense for them to extend their tour in Europe this time around. Hopefully, substantially lower energy costs in the U.S. compared to Europe might just keep it as profitable as in the past, although with the extremely weak dollar I'm not even sure that is correct.

Back
Top Bottom