Tour in March, Vegas start - says Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 made a $100 million dollar profit from the POPMART tour. That was the guarantee they got from Michael Cohl who promoted the tour. The tour cost $214,000 dollars a day regardless if there was a show or not. The tour grossed $171 million dollars just from ticket sales, and the cost was actually around $70 million dollars which meant Michael Cohl did not have to dip into his own funds to make sure U2 got the $100 million dollar profit they signed on for.

U2's profit margin rose on the Elevation tour as the band went indoors with less cost, and the ticket prices went up substantially.

Despite going outdoors for Big shows on the Vertigo tour with each one of the outdoor gigs averaging about $1.2 million per show and the indoor shows about 1/3 of that, the tour grossed nearly $400 million dollars and yielded the band a the largest profit any artist had ever made on a tour at that point at around $300 million dollars.

It was my understanding that the $100 million guarantee only came into the contract on Elevation. Popmart was the first tour to use the worldwide promoter model signing with Cohl, but I don't remember there being a guarantee. I thought that was put into the second contract precisely because of the way things went down with Popmart. I'm not 100% certain so if you can point me to contradictory information that would be helpful. I do remember Paul McGuiness saying that when you looked at the numbers on a show by show basis there were places that in essence the band paid to play. The overall tour balanced out to a small profit after adding in merchandising revenue. Bono said that if 10% fewer tickets had sold they could have been bankrupted.

Dana

I'm actually thinking about skipping the first U.S. leg entirely. The shows I saw on the third leg of Vertigo were vastly better than the show I saw on the first leg, and it was easier to get tickets then, too. Then again, if I'm really excited by the new album, I might have a hard time waiting that long.

This is sort of true, but the setlists are just so exciting at the beginning.

this is why it's a blessing to live in the northeastern corridor of the US.

it's entirely reasonable to catch shows in:

DC
Baltimore
Philly
New York
Albany
Hartford
Providence
Boston

and multiple shows at that. ah, the joys of Acela world.

:D

Setlists and Bono's voice are better at the beginning and first leg.

Band gets overall better on the following legs, also more relaxed.
And Bono might even manage to get the lyrics right.:wink:

I'd say there are good and not so good things about every leg, but still I'd love to see different shows from different legs.

It was my understanding that the $100 million guarantee only came into the contract on Elevation. Popmart was the first tour to use the worldwide promoter model signing with Cohl, but I don't remember there being a guarantee. I thought that was put into the second contract precisely because of the way things went down with Popmart. I'm not 100% certain so if you can point me to contradictory information that would be helpful. I do remember Paul McGuiness saying that when you looked at the numbers on a show by show basis there were places that in essence the band paid to play. The overall tour balanced out to a small profit after adding in merchandising revenue. Bono said that if 10% fewer tickets had sold they could have been bankrupted.

Dana

Speaking of Michael Cohl, this came in an email from @u2.com:

Both The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times are reporting today
that Michael Cohl is negotiating terms to formally resign as Chairman
at Live Nation. Cohl has been promoting U2's concerts since 1997's
PopMart tour.

According to the nytimes.com article, Cohl and chief executive Michael
Rapino were not in agreement over signing "360 deals" with artists,
providing the artists lucrative long-term signing payments. Currently,
there is a noncompete clause in Cohl's contract. Cohl had his own
company, The Next Adventure (TNA), prior to committing to Live Nation.

As U2 just signed a 12-year agreement with Live Nation, it could get
complicated should Cohl successfully renegotiate his contract status so
he can buy back his company as U2 has the decade-long relationship with
Cohl. There is no comment from Live Nation at this time.

DC
Baltimore
Philly
New York
Albany
Hartford
Providence
Boston

When I lived in NYC I just hopped on the subway or other public transportation and saw them at the Meadowlands, Nausau Coliseum, Yankee Stadium, and MSG on one tour, and slept in my own bed every night. :crazy:

DC
Baltimore
Philly
New York
Albany
Hartford
Providence
Boston

Word :drool:

Of course having 7 shows in Boston alone on Vertigo helped.

i really envy you guys because each of you seems to be ready to attend the forthcoming U2 concerts. i am from the philippines and recently we got news from a local newspaper saying..that the president of MTV Philippines was tasked by U2 to look for a stadium that has a 100,000-seat capacity here in my country because they had expressed intention to perform in one Asian country. Unfortunately, the president couldn't find one here. :sad: it's been years we've been waiting for U2 to come over. if only i had a visa to go to the US, i would watch in Vegas if it's going to be held there because i have a sister living there so no more problem in accomodation. or in New York, because i have an auntie there where i can stay.

i guess i will just have to content myself with the coming new album and future youtube posts (or torrent :D )

i am so depressed....:sad::sad::sad:

DC
Baltimore
Philly
New York
Albany
Hartford
Providence
Boston

you should come up here and see them with me in Ruffalo. :sexywink: you know a flight on southwest from BWI to BUF is only $49. i'm just sayin'

When I lived in NYC I just hopped on the subway or other public transportation and saw them at the Meadowlands, Nausau Coliseum, Yankee Stadium, and MSG on one tour, and slept in my own bed every night. :crazy:

NYC :love:

I wasn't in school last tour, so I am imagining my itinerary is going to be more limited than it was three years ago. Also, I don't really feel as much of a need to go everywhere and see every show, so I will probably limit myself to Detroit, perhaps Chicago or Ohio, and my one travel show of course, will have to be New York. :wink:

WTF I forgot about this little tidbit......

So what's up Edge? Is the tour still starting in March in Vegas?

:huh:

If its still gonna begin in March then the album should come out January/Early Feb.

If U2's tour kicks off in Vegas I'm going fooorrrrr suuuuuuuureeeee.........But I seriously doubt it will...this news/rumor was before the gold strike in that rich vein they stumbled over....I'm not buyin' it anymore. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom