Tour in March, Vegas start - says Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those legs of the tour are always less profitable due to higher costs and if the Aussie dollar is strong that makes it worse for them not better because the exchange rate for them will be bad.

Absolutely false. The reason they did not come down here for Elevation was due to the Australian dollar being in terrible shape. Its considerable improvement between 2002 and 2006 made Vertigo viable.

Earnie Shavers has explained what happened with Elevation and Australia in considerable detail before and knows much more about this stuff than I do.

OMG, start in Vegas, how much better can it get. :hyper:

Damn, you'd think after Popmart they would never start a tour in Vegas again. I wish someone would get some information on whether they're planning arenas or stadiums in the U.S.

I think that if they really do start in Vegas, then they'll be playing arenas for the first leg of the U.S. tour. Bono has some sort of allergic reaction to some of the desert fauna in Vegas but it wouldn't affect him in an indoors arena like it did in Popmart's stadium setting.

How about a huge Interlander gathering (from all over the country) for the opening show?

Barring anything catastrophic (i.e. me not even being able to afford to feed myself; or having something huge and unavoidable come up at work), I AM SO THERE.

I wonder if the decision to open in Vegas is to somehow put the ghost of Pop to rest, or because they have something really wild planned.

This is exciting.

My thoughts exactly. Why automatically choose Vegas unless there's something a little 'different' planned?

Pretty damn cool. :hyper:

Awesome news if they're starting out west. I find their first 10 shows to be generally weak so I'd love a late spring out on the East coast. Yippee!

Does this mean that they've already done the photos shooting for the album and the promos?

P.S... Please Willie,no more circular catwalk for this tour.

Been there,done that...............Twice

Does this mean that they've already done the photos shooting for the album and the promos?

I doubt that they have done the promo photos yet- I think we'd have heard some rumors/photos of them i.e. when they did the Atomic bomb photo shoot(s) in Lisbon?

I wonder if the decision to open in Vegas is to somehow put the ghost of Pop to rest, or because they have something really wild planned.

This is exciting.

I thought of that too. :hmm: Is this the first time they started a tour in the same city twice ?
Hopefully the Australian dollar is strong enough this time for Southern hemisphere shows again.

AtU2.com said that Cecilia (Larry's sister) said they'd do arenas in US and Europe first. Possibly a hint of uncertainty how the audience will react to the new sound ? :shrug: Maybe this will be like Zoo TV when they started arenas but continued with something gigantic for the stadiums.

I love the grandeur of the stadium show, i will be a bit disapointed with an arena tour :(

AtU2.com said that Cecilia (Larry's sister) said they'd do arenas in US and Europe first. Possibly a hint of uncertainty how the audience will react to the new sound ? :shrug: Maybe this will be like Zoo TV when they started arenas but continued with something gigantic for the stadiums.

Good thought. Could also be a reflection of music that's better played in small venues, though I guess we have that March quote from Lanois saying that they're working on sounds to fill a stadium.

I doubt that they have done the promo photos yet-

Corbijn apparently took some photos already in Fez, don't know if that counts as promo photos though. While he was there, Lanois asked him to help him out with his documentary as well. The footage of U2 are taken by Anton it seems.
I for one would love to hear more about promo photosessions, though.

I think that if they really do start in Vegas, then they'll be playing arenas for the first leg of the U.S. tour. Bono has some sort of allergic reaction to some of the desert fauna in Vegas but it wouldn't affect him in an indoors arena like it did in Popmart's stadium setting.

Agreed. I can't imagine them playing U.S. stadiums if they start in March. In some parts of the country it's still snowing in April (and even May) and you can't count on the weather. This spring has been just awful for us with the wild swings from frost to thunderstorms in just the past month. Arenas are much more reliable.

This is all great news, if true.

I'd be very surprised if they abandon the general admission pit. It was obviously a big deal that they were even able to get it going for Elevation, it makes the best seats in the house some of the cheapest ones, and makes for a very exciting crowd up front. Why go back to the old way?

The real question is, what shape will it be in? We've already had the Heart and the Ellipse.

Possible designs:

The Shamrock
The Star
The Continent of Africa
The Triangle
The Puffy Cloud

Wouldn't they be getting paid for that leg of the tour in local currency though? I mean if they made 100 million AUD in 2006 that translated into only about 58 million EUR, but if they made the same 100 million AUD today with the stronger currency they'd actually make about 63 million EUR, so the strong currency could even offset some of the increase in costs to get them there.

With the EUR the way it is it might even make more sense for them to extend their tour in Europe this time around. Hopefully, substantially lower energy costs in the U.S. compared to Europe might just keep it as profitable as in the past, although with the extremely weak dollar I'm not even sure that is correct.

Actually neither of us is probably looking at it right. The way they contract the tours since Popmart is that they have a contract with a worldwide promoter and what they get is set out in that deal. There are various caveats and such but they are pretty much guaranteed at least a minimum amount based on how many dates they do, I think. I remember hearing that they had to do at least 51 of the tour dates on Elevation before their percentage was guaranteed. But what you have to look at is the promoter's costs. They are signed to Live Nation who will handle the entire tour. They are a US company so the weakness of the US dollar currently will make even the European dates less profitable. I don't think our energy costs are really lower it's just that the dollar is very weak now so it may look like we are paying less but my wallet disagrees. European tourists are coming to America in droves to shop and to invest in property because their money goes much farther here. I live in Florida and the one thing keeping the Real Estate market from total collapse here is the number of International investors buying property. There are bus tours specifically set up for these foreigners coming in to buy real estate on the cheap. Live Nation has to be able to make a profit on the gigs for them to be interested in going there. However much the band may want to play somewhere they can't do it if the promoter isn't willing. Point of view makes a big difference. It's one thing to look at the figures for the entire tour and see an overall profit but it is quite another to look at an individual gig, country or even continent and realized the you are basically paying to play. If the economies are weak then merchandise sales will be down which also makes a big impact on whether or not to play a particular area. Consider also that higher costs will mean higher ticket prices and even a band as big as U2 will reach a point where ticket sales will be off. For instance the weather is a factor for outdoor gigs so if you end up with dates cancelled you can very quickly end up in the red. Popmart was barely profitable overall and that was only because merchandising made up the difference but Bono said if 10% less tickets had been sold then they would have lost money. If you start having less than sold out gigs you very quickly end up hurting. Just the other night the news reports here in the US were talking about how airfares have gone up over 300% since last year. When you are transporting a crew over one hundred people that's a huge amount of increase in travel costs. I'm sure ticket prices are going to be much higher for this tour than Vertigo and it won't be because the band is greedy.

Dana

I'd be very surprised if they abandon the general admission pit. It was obviously a big deal that they were even able to get it going for Elevation, it makes the best seats in the house some of the cheapest ones, and makes for a very exciting crowd up front. Why go back to the old way?

The real question is, what shape will it be in? We've already had the Heart and the Ellipse.

Possible designs:

The Shamrock
The Star
The Continent of Africa
The Triangle
The Puffy Cloud

what about ZooTV style with the long walk way straight out into the crowd to B stage?

what about ZooTV style with the long walk way straight out into the crowd to B stage?

No, I don't like the catwalk, I want an ellipse, no matter, what shape it may be. Maybe they can have two overlapping ellipses this time?

Btw, we had B-stages with the Vertigo stadium shows, which were great, but I liked the ellipse better.

Possible designs:

The Shamrock
The Star
The Continent of Africa
The Triangle
The Puffy Cloud

I totally agree with you here. :up: They are not gonna get rid of this idea. It was a huge hit for them that other artists copied to some degree after them.

the puffy cloud! :lol: :giggle:

Hopefully the northeast dates wont overlap during my finals :pray:
knowing me i'd skip them to wait in the GA line. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom