Tour Handled Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattbel12

Babyface
I think the promoters should be ashamed of themselves, I feel as if this tour is being handled badly at the moment. Why in the world would you schedule a US tour playing only football stadiums during the NFL season?!?!? This is the reason why there isn't going to be very many weekend shows. 2009 should be the time they have a full North American tour not 2010, this means that in 2010 most fans have to wait 16 months prior to the album release date to see them in North America. Sounds very stupid. Should of just scaled the stage down and did arena shows. It sucks having to wait till June-July 2010 to see the band play.

Well, it's not like they aren't also touring Europe. The US isn't the only place with stadiums and U2 fans...

I don't think anyone should be "ashamed" of themselves, but here's what I think has happened, reading between the lines: U2 rushed NLOTH, just like they did with Pop. It was supposed to be released before last Xmas, to capitalize off holiday sales, but the songs weren't ready. They had to delay it and have a spring release. Even as they were finishing the album, it was rushed. The band was editing and deleting songs from the running order, right up until the end. (Eno: "tell them they're being f***ing cun*s" ... Edge: "it was a little tricky at the end, because Eno and Lanois were musicians as well as producers," etc.) There was dissension about the first single -- Eno wanted 'Moment of Surrender' but the band went with 'Boots' which hasn't charted well. You get the idea.

Unlike 'Pop', NLOTH has been extremely well-received by critics. Perfect 5-star reviews from Rolling Stone, Q Magazine, and Blender.

The band also decided to release another companion album in fall 2010. They've decided to tour stadiums in 2009, so that they don't have to play as many shows as they would with an arena tour. The stadium tour has also been a little rushed (Raleigh, NC being dropped from the tour; tour's name changing from 'Let Me In the Sound' to 'Kiss the Future' to '360'). The arena tour will be in 2010, after both albums have been released.

Just my 2 cents, and much of this is just a hunch/speculation on my part, as I try and connect the dots.

In any event, I'm just grateful that the band is making amazing music and I'm excited for the tour.

I don't think anyone should be "ashamed" of themselves, but here's what I think has happened, reading between the lines: U2 rushed NLOTH, just like they did with Pop. It was supposed to be released before last Xmas, to capitalize off holiday sales, but the songs weren't ready. They had to delay it and have a spring release. Even as they were finishing the album, it was rushed. The band was editing and deleting songs from the running order, right up until the end. (Eno: "tell them they're being f***ing cun*s" ... Edge: "it was a little tricky at the end, because Eno and Lanois were musicians as well as producers," etc.) There was dissension about the first single -- Eno wanted 'Moment of Surrender' but the band went with 'Boots' which hasn't charted well.

The band also decided to release another companion album in fall 2010. They've decided to tour stadiums in 2009, so that they don't have to play as many shows as they would with an arena tour. The stadium tour has also been a little rushed (Raleigh, NC being dropped from the tour; tour's name changing from 'Let Me In the Sound' to 'Kiss the Future' to '360'). The arena tour will be in 2010, after both albums have been released.

Just my 2 cents, and much of this is just a hunch/speculation on my part, as I try and connect the dots.

In any event, I'm just grateful that the band is making amazing music and I'm excited for the tour.

I agree. And personally I don't give a rats ass what night of the week they play. Honestly who cares about that. If you only want to see U2 on a weekend you don't wanna see them bad enough to complain about anythng really.

You sound like a spoiled American... You do realize there are other markets, right?

Who should be ashamed?

This.

Sofar the beginning of the presales has been running smoothly, and U2.com members are getting what they paid for. They have NOTHING to be ashamed for right now, besides the fact that U2.com still sucks and emails people at 4 in the morning that the presale starts that day at 10am.

Its not a matter of being spoiled Americans- its a matter of trying to do a stadium tour in America during the American football season is just piss poor logistics, period. Anyone with any business sense can see that. Am I wrong, or isn't North America their biggest market in terms of albums/concert sales? (could be wrong, I'm just guessing)

That being said, I know why the boys are doing it this way, and I totally respect them for it - they aren't ready to tour until this summer (because of the album's delay from projected release date of Nov. 08, not its rush), they will only be in Europe in the summer so that they can be with their families, since their kids are out of school, they use Eze as a base, so they can be with kids as much as possible and easily fly in and out of European shows back to family. I totally respect that they have their priorities in line, family first.

Does it suck for us U.S. fans? Yes, of course. Oh well, we have been incredibly spoiled in the past with the arena tours. We just have to suck it up this time! Can't wait!! :drool:

U2 rushed NLOTH, just like they did with Pop. It was supposed to be released before last Xmas, to capitalize off holiday sales, but the songs weren't ready. They had to delay it and have a spring release. Even as they were finishing the album, it was rushed. The band was editing and deleting songs from the running order, right up until the end. The band also decided to release another companion album in fall 2010. They've decided to tour stadiums in 2009, so that they don't have to play as many shows as they would with an arena tour. The arena tour will be in 2010, after both albums have been released.

I'll bet dollars to donuts U2 ran out of time in the fall, both in planning the tour and the album. They were on track for their usual timeline, but something went awry. I'm guessing they needed more singles, hence "Crazy Tonight" getting written and replacing "Winter" (hence the Lillywhite production credit and the fact that Adam was laying down his bass lines relatively late in the recording process).

If things had moved on target, we would have seen our typical U2 touring pattern. Because they learned their lessons on Pop/PopMart, they decided to hold off on BOTH album and tour. Touring US stadiums in the fall only makes sense if they assume that the delay will build up demand -- otherwise we may have seen an arena show.

There will be no arena tour.

This is ridiculous. Grow up. The tour is starting in Europe for once, deal with it.

Its not a matter of being spoiled Americans- its a matter of trying to do a stadium tour in America during the American football season is just piss poor logistics, period. Anyone with any business sense can see that. Am I wrong, or isn't North America their biggest market in terms of albums/concert sales? (could be wrong, I'm just guessing)

That being said, I know why the boys are doing it this way, and I totally respect them for it - they aren't ready to tour until this summer (because of the album's delay from projected release date of Nov. 08, not its rush), they will only be in Europe in the summer so that they can be with their families, since their kids are out of school, they use Eze as a base, so they can be with kids as much as possible and easily fly in and out of European shows back to family. I totally respect that they have their priorities in line, family first.

Does it suck for us U.S. fans? Yes, of course. Oh well, we have been incredibly spoiled in the past with the arena tours. We just have to suck it up this time! Can't wait!! :drool:

That'd be like saying U2 shouldn't do an arena tour in Canada durring hockey season. :lol: There's Monday - Friday that the band could tour in football Stadiums. I'm a huge NFL and Dallas Cowboys fan but this notion that U2 should put things on hold for the NFL and that the American fans are getting a raw deal out of it is bull.

I don't think anyone should be "ashamed" of themselves, but here's what I think has happened, reading between the lines: U2 rushed NLOTH, just like they did with Pop. It was supposed to be released before last Xmas, to capitalize off holiday sales, but the songs weren't ready. They had to delay it and have a spring release. .

Bands who rush albums out tend to not delay the release. :lol:

Please elaborate. Most NFL games are on Sundays and Mondays and in about 14 stadiums. So that still leaves a lot of empty stadiums, logistically speaking...

"Should of just scaled the stage down", you mean like they have for the past 2 tours in the US?, i bet if they went with the same again you would be moaning about that!,

as said its starting here for once, deal with it, like we have to do when its started in the US.

The arena tour will be in 2010, after both albums have been released.

I would be shocked if when they supposedly come back to the US next June/July they will move this show to areanas. Makes no economic sense to me. I can't see why they would build a scaled down stage to accomodate a two month U.S. summer tour when it's clear that everywhere else in the world they will be doing stadiums.

That'd be like saying U2 shouldn't do an arena tour in Canada durring hockey season. :lol: There's Monday - Friday that the band could tour in football Stadiums. I'm a huge NFL and Dallas Cowboys fan but this notion that U2 should put things on hold for the NFL and that the American fans are getting a raw deal out of it is bull.

I'm not sure the logistics of holding a concert on Friday and a game on Sunday - pretty sure not possible because of field conditions. No team is going to allow a concert to be held on their field one day before a home game - turf condition is too important. So, that leaves, possibly, Monday-Thursday, maybe? (I'm guessing here) The majority of fans who fill up a US stadium show (were talking what, 60-75,000 people?) are going to be casual U2 fans, not people like us on Interference who will go any night, weekend or weeknight. I'm just saying, to make the most business sense, you want to try to target these huge shows on a Fri, Sat or Sun night to attract the casual fans you are going to need to fill the stadium. They can't really do that if they are doing it during football season. BTW, hope I'm totally wrong and the stadiums will be packed on a Wednesday night!!

I'm not sure the logistics of holding a concert on Friday and a game on Sunday - pretty sure not possible because of field conditions. No team is going to allow a concert to be held on their field one day before a home game - turf condition is too important. So, that leaves, possibly, Monday-Thursday, maybe? (I'm guessing here) The majority of fans who fill up a US stadium show (were talking what, 60-75,000 people?) are going to be casual U2 fans, not people like us on Interference who will go any night, weekend or weeknight. I'm just saying, to make the most business sense, you want to try to target these huge shows on a Fri, Sat or Sun night to attract the casual fans you are going to need to fill the stadium. They can't really do that if they are doing it during football season. BTW, hope I'm totally wrong and the stadiums will be packed on a Wednesday night!!

Not sure about the other dates, but the Foxboro, MA date is on a Sunday, which means the Pats are away(or it's their bye week, not sure). I'm sure that's the case with the other stadiums.

Please elaborate. Most NFL games are on Sundays and Mondays and in about 14 stadiums. So that still leaves a lot of empty stadiums, logistically speaking...

As I stated in my previous post, its the field condition the teams would be worried about. I doubt any team will allow a concert the week of a home game. This knocks out a lot of cities. But I'm guessing, not sure.

How's this any different than Vertigo where they played arenas where BOTH hockey and basketball season was on?

As I stated in my previous post, its the field condition the teams would be worried about. I doubt any team will allow a concert the week of a home game. This knocks out a lot of cities. But I'm guessing, not sure.

Maybe you should stop guessing. It seems like you're trying to cause panic with this unnecessary guessing.

Not sure about the other dates, but the Foxboro, MA date is on a Sunday, which means the Pats are away(or it's their bye week, not sure). I'm sure that's the case with the other stadiums.

Right, but having to work around the game schedule, give enough time for filed conditions to recover, etc, definitely makes it much more difficult than if they were doing this tour any other time than during football season. This is why so few shows have been planned/announced in North America.

Maybe you should stop guessing. It seems like you're trying to cause panic with this unnecessary guessing.

Are you for real? :doh: I'm so sorry, I'll make sure to have a footnote with full citation format for my next post for anything stated, wouldn't want to cause "panic" amongst these rabid U2 fans over speculations about field conditions. LMAO!!! :huh:

MOST NFL stadiums are on field turf now, not grass. the concert will have no impact on the playing surface.

the only thing touring during NFL season does is mean they have to plan their routes around home games. OHHH but wait, the 2009 NFL schedule isnt even made yet (or not announced anyway)!! so all the teams have to do is say their venue is not available on such and such a weekend and they will play away that weekend.

I one for one am psyched Europe is going 1st this time around. Work on the kinks on them for a change...

I think its much more likely that more shows havent been announced for the US yet because ticket sales didnt go so well for the last US stadium tour.

Right, but having to work around the game schedule, give enough time for filed conditions to recover, etc, definitely makes it much more difficult than if they were doing this tour any other time than during football season. This is why so few shows have been planned/announced in North America.
:lol: is that a fact? So field conditions are why cities like Detroit and Minnesota, Indianapolis, Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta etc. etc. have not had concerts scheduled? because they have to worry about field conditions? :lol:

How's this any different than Vertigo where they played arenas where BOTH hockey and basketball season was on?

Is that really a serious question? They have proper coverings for that. When playing a football stadium that uses real grass, the coverings are going to flaten the grass and could damage it, so how are they going to play a show on a Friday or Saturday when the team plays there on Sunday?

MOST NFL stadiums are on field turf now, not grass. the concert will have no impact on the playing surface.

the only thing touring during NFL season does is mean they have to plan their routes around home games. OHHH but wait, the 2009 NFL schedule isnt even made yet (or not announced anyway)!! so all the teams have to do is say their venue is not available on such and such a weekend and they will play away that weekend.

I one for one am psyched Europe is going 1st this time around. Work on the kinks on them for a change...

I think its much more likely that more shows havent been announced for the US yet because ticket sales didnt go so well for the last US stadium tour.

:wave: Just a little correction. Most teams don't play on Turf anymore. majority of teams prefer actual grass on the field. Its easier on the players and causes less injuries.

I think just a few of the Dome teams have artificial turf anymore.

Ticket sales for bands touring stadiums in the US really haven't gone so well recently. Bon Jovi had to cancel his stadium tour a couple years back because tickets didn't sell well at all. Bruce Springsteen last summer played 3 nights at Giants stadium and one at Gillete stadium. He announced those shows about 8 months in advanced and didn't really sell those out till about a few weeks before the show.

Back
Top Bottom