Tour Handled Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe how many people on hear are whining about arenas?!? Stadiums are 100X better, and who cares about planning around the NFL schedule, there are only 8 HOME GAMES!!!! Arenas - way harder to schedule, you got the NBA, NHL and lacrosse and a million other things going on, logistics.....so come on guys, the tour will be stadiums, deal with it. Why is this the only place in the world that hates stadium shows!?!?!?

:wave: Just a little correction. Most teams don't play on Turf anymore. majority of teams prefer actual grass on the field. Its easier on the players and causes less injuries.

I think just a few of the Dome teams have artificial turf anymore.

field turf and artificial 'astro' turf are 2 totally different things.

most teams are on field turf including chicago, boston, and new york for places there are shows aanounced that I know off the top of my head.

As I stated in my previous post, its the field condition the teams would be worried about. I doubt any team will allow a concert the week of a home game. This knocks out a lot of cities. But I'm guessing, not sure.

Concerts are always being scheduled around sporting and other events. Like I said earlier 14 maybe 15 venues are being used on a Sunday or Monday, that leaves a lot of venues to plan with. Think about the logistics of the NBA, they play many more games, they may not have "field conditions" consider. Those that have real turf usually require a 2 day time period.

Right, but having to work around the game schedule, give enough time for filed conditions to recover, etc, definitely makes it much more difficult than if they were doing this tour any other time than during football season. This is why so few shows have been planned/announced in North America.

No the amount of shows is due to the fact that they are doing stadiums so they are combining markets.

Ticket sales for bands touring stadiums in the US really haven't gone so well recently. Bon Jovi had to cancel his stadium tour a couple years back because tickets didn't sell well at all. Bruce Springsteen last summer played 3 nights at Giants stadium and one at Gillete stadium. He announced those shows about 8 months in advanced and didn't really sell those out till about a few weeks before the show.

The economy being on the brink of a Depression might have just a little bit to do with this. Most people don't have or don't want to spend the disposable income like they would have a year or two ago.

A concert, even by U2, becomes less important when you're faced with the possibility of losing your home or figuring out how to provide for children.

If you dont like the schedule dont go.

The US by no means is the biggest sales hub for U2 in concert tickets or album sales, and havent been since the 80s.

Do you think U2 is going to scale back to an arena tour just because of a few football games, I think not.

A stadium is a multipurpose facility and I am sure that the stadium owners are happy to have U2 playing there, rather then the home and garden show :)

OMG!!! The whining.

I'm pretty sure that people with FAR MORE logistic experience than us have planned putting on concerts during the U.S. football season.

I mean if the field is SO sacred, why do they let big, strong football players tear around on it in the rain and snow? Don't they know they might have a game on the same field next week?

Grow up people. If U2 is not playing your city or close to you, then save up and travel to another city. If that's not possible, then sit back and enjoy the album and save up for the next leg of the tour because U2 will come back to the U.S.
Then, when you've dried your eyes, THANK YOUR DEITY that you are not a U2 fan in South America or New Zealand or China. How long before U2 ruins their teams' fields?

Mark--sheesh!

I don't care if they play stadiums, but I agree with their choice of time to play football stadiums in the US. 8 months out of the year they are not really used and they pick football season of all times to play there.

But, you also have to realize if the album wasn't delayed maybe they would be touring here earlier.

I am still going to travel to see them and as long as I get tickets, and I'll be happy and see them where I live next summer

:wave: Just a little correction. Most teams don't play on Turf anymore. majority of teams prefer actual grass on the field. Its easier on the players and causes less injuries.

I think just a few of the Dome teams have artificial turf anymore.

Just looked it up, and as of last year, 21 of the 32 NFL stadiums now have field turf. It has been proven to be safer and easier to maintain than natural grass, so it's fast becoming the norm.

For the field conditions usually the stadium or tour crew would put down some kind of tarp/mat over the field or roll up the turf for people to walk on? I don't remember walking on grass at Popmart at Sam Boyd (Vegas) or even the Vertigo show I saw in Mexico. And like fishlips said, most NFL teams use artificial grass which is very easy to maintain. But I think they can just roll that stuff up.

U2 promoters might be talking with the NFL to fix these dates. Usually the NFL schedule is released around April. With TV schedules with NBC, CBS, ESPN, & FOX scheduling can be difficult. For those who don't know the NFL is the #1 sport in the US & brings in a ton of money. U2 is #2 priority if its possible to get a marquee NFL game on television.

IWhy in the world would you schedule a US tour playing only football stadiums during the NFL season?!?!? This is the reason why there isn't going to be very many weekend shows.

Um...for the record, only one stadium is used every Sunday, and that's Giants Stadium. The other stadiums are used for NFL 8 games per year (and not all of them...i.e., some teams have a game at a neutral site). Plus, the Giants or Jets may have a home Monday night game after the U2 show, freeing up the weekend for more dates.

Every band has to schedule around some sports. Arena and stadiums exist for sports, not for U2 shows.

I don't know if the prior post sounded like a "spoiled" American (see other reply post), but it certainly sounded like an uninformed or shortsighted one.

Is that really a serious question? They have proper coverings for that. When playing a football stadium that uses real grass, the coverings are going to flaten the grass and could damage it, so how are they going to play a show on a Friday or Saturday when the team plays there on Sunday?

You were complaining about schedule (not on weekends) originally, not tearing up turf. Sorry.

Maybe we should be glad Europe is getting the 1st leg. They're the warmup leg for the US. :hyper: Leg 1 Vertigo was imho NOTHING compared to leg 3. The band will be in full stride when they hit the stage in Chicago, unlike Chicago 1 on 5/7/05.

Chicago's Soldier Field has had big problems with their turf, even when they only have football. However, they will not pass up a payday like U2. It will be interesting to see if they can sell enough tickets to schedule a second night. I wonder what the capacity will be with a 360 degree show; and I wonder if this will make it more unlikely for multiple nights in one location.

I was also thinking about the timing when I heard they wouldn't be hitting the U.S. until the fall that it might make it more likely that they will release a new album sooner rather than later. I think they would be much more likely to sell more tickets on a second leg to the U.S. if they had the new album out as well. So, I would be surprised if they didn't release the next album before the summer of 2010.

I think the big markets will probably get two shows, Chicago's the tour opener stateside, so it seems pretty likely. NYC (or New Jersey in this case) is always big and Boston had 7 Vertigo shows, so those could very likely see more dates.

You know what? Be glad they are even playing the US this year instead of complaining. They aren't coming to my country either and I have to go abroad for concerts, so what, I'll gladly do that if I get tickets and I'm happy they're playing in stadiums because it will actually give more fans the chance to see them. I've never understood all the whining about US stadiums, we in Europe get stadium shows almost exclusively. The stage setting is spectacular and shouldn't be scaled down to fit into an arena, that would look ridiculous. If you don't want to go, don't go. There will be another leg in 2010.

^^Exactly, I have to travel across borders to see U2, I have to rely on general public sales whilst American fans are guaranteed 4 shows if they want to...

I mean, how can you complain? They haven't played a single concert yet and now the tour is handled wrong??

You know what? Be glad they are even playing the US this year instead of complaining. They aren't coming to my country either and I have to go abroad for concerts, so what, I'll gladly do that if I get tickets and I'm happy they're playing in stadiums because it will actually give more fans the chance to see them. I've never understood all the whining about US stadiums, we in Europe get stadium shows almost exclusively. The stage setting is spectacular and shouldn't be scaled down to fit into an arena, that would look ridiculous. If you don't want to go, don't go. There will be another leg in 2010.

I agree. We should be happy they are still touring. I live in Vancouver but will be missing the show as I have booked a vacation. I will not miss them so I will be going all the way to Phoenix for that show enroute to my vacation destination.

The whole Stadium experience is something that does not rival Arenas-this is a fresh change!

I think everyone in Europe and the US should be glad that they're having a tour, period.

All the whining and complaining about whether they should do this or that is just plain annoying.

OMG!!! The whining.

I'm pretty sure that people with FAR MORE logistic experience than us have planned putting on concerts during the U.S. football season.

I mean if the field is SO sacred, why do they let big, strong football players tear around on it in the rain and snow? Don't they know they might have a game on the same field next week?

Grow up people. If U2 is not playing your city or close to you, then save up and travel to another city. If that's not possible, then sit back and enjoy the album and save up for the next leg of the tour because U2 will come back to the U.S.
Then, when you've dried your eyes, THANK YOUR DEITY that you are not a U2 fan in South America or New Zealand or China. How long before U2 ruins their teams' fields?

Mark--sheesh!

dude, you're my favorite newbie :love:

and yeah... QUIT THE BITCHING!!!

I have to wait until SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2010 to see them

hell, fuckin' Amazon UK still hasn't got me my NLOTH CD :sad:

spoiled brats :wink:

I hope one day you can understand the GLORY of a stadium show

Arenas are for Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne or My Chemical Romance
Stadiums are for men

The funny thing most people have had close to 4 years to save up for this tour.

I agree with most of your post (I don't care if it's arenas or stadiums, I have my preferences but I'm not going to whine), but do keep in mind that "crossing borders" in Europe is often still closer than some people travel within the USA or even within their own state. For example if I look at the distance I traveled to the last show I saw on the US mainland if I started in say Austria I could go the same distance and go to one of 10 other countries depending on which direction. I think it would be fun to travel a bit to see U2, especially with decent rail systems and much cheaper airfare, but the tix to get me across the pond would probably put me in debt for years, sadly.

If I feel bad for anyone it's certainly not myself but Australia. Somehow they always get screwed.

The funny thing most people have had close to 4 years to save up for this tour.

Which some of us have. So we have the money to pay for stuff and travel abroad now. Yet we don't whine on how expensive everthing is.

I'm spoiled having a venue 40 minutes away from my home. I realise that. But I'm not gonna whine about anything else. Because I'm goddamn glad they're still on tour and I won't miss out this time.

I wonder if the people saying that it is logistically impossible to do a proper stadium tour in the US during NFL season realize that they've done it three times in the past...

dude, you're my favorite newbie :love:

and yeah... QUIT THE BITCHING!!!

I have to wait until SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2010 to see them

hell, fuckin' Amazon UK still hasn't got me my NLOTH CD :sad:

spoiled brats :wink:

I hope one day you can understand the GLORY of a stadium show

Arenas are for Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne or My Chemical Romance
Stadiums are for men

Awwww, thanks!:hug:

I'm from the U.S., but I saw Vertigo in NZ. The country that boasts the site of one of the best U2 songs hadn't seen U2 perform live in like 12 years.

Now, after seeing U23D, I NEED to see a U2 show in South America. WOW!!! I hope you guys get solid dates soon.

Mark

I think U2.com is handling things wrong, to an extent - they should announce all the dates tickets go on sale now instead of "ON SALE SOON!" and clearly list the prices, as I'm pretty sure the US prices aren't confirmed yet

as for the original post, nope, don't care

Back
Top Bottom