Time for a new 360 tour film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And what about "Seville". It' s an european one, since the tour debut in 2009 was in Barcelona (spain),for me it´s a good idea to come out with one filmed in Spain, another very good reason is because I was there, the crowd was amazing, and anyone who went to the show that night can assure that "our guys" had a really great time, it was a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful night in seville,as Bono said.

Well, There would be one problem with that. Seeing as the show had already happened.

Time travelling is still not invented.

:lol:

Seriously though, Pearl Jam made a DVD at MSG like 8 years ago, and even at their most popular (which was not 2002) PJ were not as big as U2 have been since 1987 so I think it's silly to say U2 wouldn't be able or willing to make a DVD there.

AFAIK, they didn't have any extra cameras for any 2010 show, wonder if any currently scheduled 2011 show is on the cards for extra camera cranes and lighting.

There might be South American TV pro shots (see: Popmart - also I think Johannesburg was taped by local TV and Vertigo) but IMO there won't be another 360 DVD. Not even with a full-blown new U2 album in 2011 just in time for US dates.

Youtube/Google wants to take over television and U2 were one of the ways they could show an international audience they can do a 2 hour block of HD live TV. The broadcast had some youtube signage, plus they did a backstage youtube interview from a previous show. U2 passed up PPV TV and other major networks that'd pay $$$ to carry the show.

Even if YouTube didn't financially incentivize carrying the broadcast on YouTube, it still would have been a wise move for U2. They got much more advertisement for the tour and the DVD via YouTube than they ever would have on pay-per-view. I wouldn't have watched it if it was only on pay-per-view. I don't have a television.

Although i felt Rose Bowl was a good show, the tour has improved so much since then its almost begging for a DVD. The big mistake with the Rose Bowl was, firstly, it was filmed on just the one night which always limits the band, and secondly, the performance was already judged form the awful Youtube broadcast that did the show no justice what so ever.

This time the band should film in Brazil over the entire three shows. Really mix up the set-list from night to night, and put together a full 25 song setlist with all the best performances from the three nights. They'd have three performances to pick from for a number of songs. Therefore meaning the final product would be almost perfect. I really can see the show being filmed in Brazil though with the wild crowd ect. Lets just hope songs like Bad, HMTMKMKM and the new songs stay in the set for the filming. Its been a while since Bad made a DVD appearance and you'd surely expect it to be played from the three nights in Brazil if they do film there.

I think the biggest regret U2 made was not getting the 4th leg of the Vertigo tour on DVD, especially the shows in Japan where Bono was sounding the best he had in a good 10 years. I don't think there's anything more frustrating than when a band doesn't film a DVD when there on top of there game.

It's less frustrating than when they're on the top of their game and they film a complete DVD and then bury it and release only a few songs!!!

I'm hoping one of these days U23D will be released on Blu Ray now that 3D home entertainment is being embraced.

Well, I didn't see any signs at Perth 1. :reject:

They should've been. They were at every show during the European leg sofar. The signs are just for the U2.com videos and the cameras at the show used for the screen, for a dvd shoot they'd need far more cameras and extra lighting.

This time the band should film in Brazil over the entire three shows. Really mix up the set-list from night to night, and put together a full 25 song setlist with all the best performances from the three nights. They'd have three performances to pick from for a number of songs. Therefore meaning the final product would be almost perfect. I really can see the show being filmed in Brazil though with the wild crowd ect. Lets just hope songs like Bad, HMTMKMKM and the new songs stay in the set for the filming. Its been a while since Bad made a DVD appearance and you'd surely expect it to be played from the three nights in Brazil if they do film there.

I think the biggest regret U2 made was not getting the 4th leg of the Vertigo tour on DVD, especially the shows in Japan where Bono was sounding the best he had in a good 10 years. I don't think there's anything more frustrating than when a band doesn't film a DVD when there on top of there game.

Mixing performances from different show doesn't always make for the best "flow" for the viewer. Not sure U2 would shoot in South American after Popmart, U23D and other DVDs from the same stadium(?) by Police, Rush(?) and Madonna.

U2 filmed every show going back to halfway through the Joshua. For some shows they've thrown up a couple extra cameras that fans don't really know about. Plus it's believed that they multitrack every show with audience mics. Soundchecks may also be full audio/video.

There might be South American TV pro shots (see: Popmart - also I think Johannesburg was taped by local TV and Vertigo) but IMO there won't be another 360 DVD. Not even with a full-blown new U2 album in 2011 just in time for US dates.

Those TV broadcasts usually aren't quite up to DVD release standards. Fun for fans to watch but they usually have some wonky camera angles and dark shots of the stage/crowd.

Seriously though, Pearl Jam made a DVD at MSG like 8 years ago, and even at their most popular (which was not 2002) PJ were not as big as U2 have been since 1987 so I think it's silly to say U2 wouldn't be able or willing to make a DVD there.

Pearl Jam have a different attitude about money than U2 and different attitude about their approach to DVDs. PJ had their crew shoot every show with handheld camcorders and they decided MSG was the best and worth the extra hassle to getting DVD approval.

Not sure U2 would shoot in South American after Popmart, U23D and other DVDs from the same stadium(?) by Police, Rush(?) and Madonna.

The Police, Madonna, and AC/DC filmed DVD's at River Plate Stadium. U2 aren't going there this time around. And Rush did their Brazilian DVD at Maracana Stadium (Rush in Rio).

U2 needs to film at DVD in a country/continent that has never hosted a U2 DVD release. So I agree that the Montreal shows next year should go on a stand-alone DVD release (U2 360 at the Hippodrome). Maybe the South African shows should go on DVD (U2 360 at Soccer City, U2 360 in the Mother City).
scratchchin.gif

To be fair, the band should come out with another full-fledged live DVD filmed in Europe. I heard that the Helsinki shows were out of this world (U2 360 in Helsinki).
scratchchin.gif

Although i felt Rose Bowl was a good show, the tour has improved so much since then its almost begging for a DVD. The big mistake with the Rose Bowl was, firstly, it was filmed on just the one night which always limits the band, and secondly, the performance was already judged form the awful Youtube broadcast that did the show no justice what so ever.

I like it when the band films one show rather than make a mix of two/three nights. And judging the show by Youtube footage is a mistake made by fans...South American DVD would be great but we already have U23D.

That said...it's hard to pick out a good timing re: Bono's voice. They tried it all by now...

Early, ie first leg ? (see Boston and Chicago, the former did a fair representation of his Elevation voice, the latter didn't do justice to his Vertigo vocals) Late second leg? (Rose Bowl/Slane neither did fully justice)
Later ? (Popmart/Zoo TV/Joshua Tree)?

South American DVD would be great but we already have U23D.

we dont' have U23D ... MAYBE when they release it, but seeing it in a movie theater is not the same as seeing it over and over again in your living/bed room

U2 live from CHILE :angry:

Of course seeing it at home will not be the same as in IMAX :drool:. I'm still mad they didn't release a soundtrack for it, it would have been the most gloriously mixed live album of all time.

we dont' have U23D ... MAYBE when they release it, but seeing it in a movie theater is not the same as seeing it over and over again in your living/bed room

Does U23D circulate amongst fans to watch at home, even in 2D form? I thought I remember hearing something about it airing on some 3D channel available to a small number of people somehwere.

My only concern with a possible Montreal shoot over 2 nights is that the lack of stands won't compliment the 360 staging.

Well, I didn't see any signs at Perth 1. :reject:

I didn't see any signs for Perth 1 either. Maybe Security forgot. They were certainly mega cranky about cameras at Perth 2. I was stopped twice for taking pics with my point and shoot camera. This didn't happen at Perth 1 or Melbourne 1 and 2 (at Melbourne 2 I took my DSLR and lens and was within full view of both the stadium security guards and Bono's security guard and no one stopped me).

So yep, weirdness in Perf :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom