Time for a new 360 tour film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed at the entrance gate at Brussels that there were signs saying the show was beign filmed.

Is this just a standard thing to cover the normal amount of cameras used to create images used on the video screens, or does it mean that the show was actually being filmed for a potential future release ?

normal for EVERY show. They're just insuring themselves that they can use the footage on U2.com later. Same signs at Hannover, Frankfurt and all the other shows on this leg. :)

No. Leave it until next time round when there's a new record out and umpteen new songs to put in the set.

dan_smee said:
They missed a trick not filming sydney... best crowd of the tour so far

Don't they already have a Sydney DVD?

Time for a new place like Canada, Brasil or South Africa

They missed a trick not filming sydney... best crowd of the tour so far

Having been to every show on the tour so far, huh? :)

I find it weird that has never been a DVD filmed from a show in New York, considering how much they love the city.

Will no doubt hopefully get the usual pro-shot videos from hopefully one or two South American shows, though.

I really expected the 2009 DVD to be at Giants Stadium, it would have been a better choice with the shape of the stadium really highlighting the stage, having the usual 2 nights, and being earlier in a leg with less vocal fatigue.

I would love to see them do a film in Montreal, there is yet to be a Canadian U2 video and since U2 loves Montreal why not!! Also would be neat to be in A show and possibly see yourself..:drool:

The COBL music video was shot in Vancouver. Plus there's several songs from Edmonton on the Popmart DVD. Costello thing was shot in Toronto.

I find it weird that has never been a DVD filmed from a show in New York, considering how much they love the city.

No doubt when they go to arenas again we will get U2: Madison Square Garden DVD. Boston and Chicago were done already, it would make the most sense to capture on film the 3 big U2 American cities.

They would get such great footage every night with this set up - would love to think that somewhere back when they also decided to capture decent recordings alongside it, at least sometimes, and... a compilation DVD from that would be brilliant.

I thought they filmed the South American shows to air on local TV. Isn't that what they did when they filmed the Buenos Aires & Sao Paulo shows in Vertigo?

U2 aren't exactly poor. Why could they not afford to film a DVD there ?

U2 likely got youtube to pay for the Rosebowl shoot.

It's not money itself, it's whether it makes financial sense. MSG may even ask for royalty points/sliver percentage which would be an instant deal breaker for Paul McG. There's a reason they didn't shoot 85/87/92/01/05 shows at the venue even if it's a favourite place to play.

The choir at MSG 1987 in the R&H outtakes is only a single camera angle.

Signs were up that Perth 2 was being filmed. Good idea :drool:

They were also up in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane :wink:

Surely they can cut the advertisements out with technology these days :wink:. We need a full release from Europe or South America next, none of this 60 minute show sing-a-long bull shit, ala the Milan DVD. (although it is quite good)

U2 likely got youtube to pay for the Rosebowl shoot.

It's not money itself, it's whether it makes financial sense. MSG may even ask for royalty points/sliver percentage which would be an instant deal breaker for Paul McG. There's a reason they didn't shoot 85/87/92/01/05 shows at the venue even if it's a favourite place to play.

The choir at MSG 1987 in the R&H outtakes is only a single camera angle.

Since when did youtube pay for the Rosebowl shoot and what would be the relevance of that for a DVD shot in arena ?

Yes there are reasons...in 1985 they weren't into filming their show, in 1987 they were busy with a big movie, on Zoo TV they didn't decide to film a show officially until very late in the tour, in 2001 and 2005 Boston and Chicago were chosen. Plus they had Milan, Slane and U23D.

If they go to arenas next, Madison Square Garden would be the obvious place to shoot.

Since when did youtube pay for the Rosebowl shoot and what would be the relevance of that for a DVD shot in arena ?

Yes there are reasons...in 1985 they weren't into filming their show, in 1987 they were busy with a big movie, on Zoo TV they didn't decide to film a show officially until very late in the tour, in 2001 and 2005 Boston and Chicago were chosen. Plus they had Milan, Slane and U23D.

If they go to arenas next, Madison Square Garden would be the obvious place to shoot.

They didn't give youtube any freebies. IMO, U2 have a history of having TV outlets co-finance live footage dating back to Red Rocks.

Boston and Chicago were chosen over MSG in 2001 and 2005. It's not an obvious choice in the future.

And what about "Seville". It' s an european one, since the tour debut in 2009 was in Barcelona (spain),for me it´s a good idea to come out with one filmed in Spain, another very good reason is because I was there, the crowd was amazing, and anyone who went to the show that night can assure that "our guys" had a really great time, it was a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful night in seville,as Bono said.

They didn't give youtube any freebies. IMO, U2 have a history of having TV outlets co-finance live footage dating back to Red Rocks.

Boston and Chicago were chosen over MSG in 2001 and 2005. It's not an obvious choice in the future.

Not really. U2 had its own channel set up on Youtube, would they pay extra ?

Yes it is, being the third big U2 city in the US.

Not really. U2 had its own channel set up on Youtube, would they pay extra ?

Yes it is, being the third big U2 city in the US.

Youtube/Google wants to take over television and U2 were one of the ways they could show an international audience they can do a 2 hour block of HD live TV. The broadcast had some youtube signage, plus they did a backstage youtube interview from a previous show. U2 passed up PPV TV and other major networks that'd pay $$$ to carry the show.

I don't know that a North American DVD is a given. Mexico, Boston, Chicago, Rosebowl is 4 tours in a row.

AFAIK, they didn't have any extra cameras for any 2010 show, wonder if any currently scheduled 2011 show is on the cards for extra camera cranes and lighting.

The answer would be in going back and seeing how it was promoted. And I can't remember. Was it more U2 Live! (via YouTube), or more "YouTube Special Event!"

Back
Top Bottom