Ticketmaster Survey - Auction only in the future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of negative vibes on this, but I'm OK with these options -- it is just capitalism.

This is such a bullshit sentiment. "It's just capitalism" pisses me off. I know we all like to think that capitalism is such an awesome freedome loving Amerkin Way® mentality that is infallible and always works, but here's a newsflash; it doesn't.

When there's no regulation that protects the general public from fair competition and monopolies, that's not capitalism.

Quite frankly - the whole buying tickets situation is still pot luck - even with the pre-sales - Russia's proved that.

Get the basics right for Gods sake, before trying to make it even more complicated.

When I buy from ticketmaster I never ever feel confident in them at all.

Quite frankly - the whole buying tickets situation is still pot luck - even with the pre-sales - Russia's proved that.

Get the basics right for Gods sake, before trying to make it even more complicated.

When I buy from ticketmaster I never ever feel confident in them at all.
exactly. in my opinion, they need to at least get their server issues fixed. it gets old that any time any halfway big artist has tickets go on sale, their servers get overloaded and crash. you can charge $10 per ticket in fees or whatever but you can't actually buy enough servers to meet demands? something's not right there.

Indeed U2 is part of it too. Although I am sure their personal motivation is not to make as much $$ as possible, they are indeed part of it since they signed the deal with LiveNation.

Or it is Live Nation or TM way to get enought money to pay the Huge Gurantees they promise Madonna U2 and other acts in their old age tours..... Still never understand why we want to pay more for bands in their latter years vs when they are really on fire......

:shifty:

So, what is U2's motivation then?

hmm after thinking of it again...maybe you are right. When U2 signs with LiveNation they wanna get as much $$ as possible out of it.

What I meant is that U2 wants to give value for money. They also could have decided not to build an expensive claw and make even more profit! So they are not driven by money. But indeed, when they sign with LiveNation they wanna make the best deal as possible (the most $$ as possible), which implicates indirectly that tickets will not be cheap.

Or it is Live Nation or TM way to get enought money to pay the Huge Gurantees they promise Madonna U2 and other acts
I agree with you on this
in their old age tours..... Still never understand why we want to pay more for bands in their latter years vs when they are really on fire......

:shifty:
but not on this. You are saying U2 was not on fire this tour? And that they are doing an 'in their old age tour'? I completely disagree with that. U2 proved that they are still relevant and they wanna give value for money.

You cannot compare them with the Stones who never made anything relevant anymore since the early eighties and became not more than a very succesfull money-making live-act.

exactly. in my opinion, they need to at least get their server issues fixed. it gets old that any time any halfway big artist has tickets go on sale, their servers get overloaded and crash. you can charge $10 per ticket in fees or whatever but you can't actually buy enough servers to meet demands? something's not right there.

True, but what I fault TM for is that you are a fool if you try to get tickets from them any way OTHER than online. Forget physical outlets, a lot of people said that by the time the clerk fumbled through the first customer, the concert was sold out. And via the phone? Only if you know when to call in and then surf around through the options until the actual on-sale time will you even have a chance of getting through.

Yes, they should fix their servers (although I haven't had a problem), but they really need to allocate a block of tix for both phones and physical outlets, if they don't already, if they do there should be more.

But truly, for all of the service charges they get per ticket, there should be some oversight as to how they give access to their customers (or potential customers).

I think personally I'm pretty much done with ticketbastard (except for like the U2.com presales). Just the way they release tickets pissses me off in itself. You can be on there right at 10am and not be able to get good tickets. Or you can wait until a week before the show and miraculously get awesome tickets. I've gotten screwed out of good tickets more than once like that. As far as buying tickets in general sales for other bands and shows, I've had better luck and painless transactions using stubhub. You can find tickets to any 'sold out' show on there, choose your seats (which I love), and most tickets are not that much more over face, depending on the show and what you're looking for. To me its worth the few extra bucks to not want to throw my computer out the window.

True, but what I fault TM for is that you are a fool if you try to get tickets from them any way OTHER than online. Forget physical outlets, a lot of people said that by the time the clerk fumbled through the first customer, the concert was sold out. And via the phone? Only if you know when to call in and then surf around through the options until the actual on-sale time will you even have a chance of getting through.

Yes, they should fix their servers (although I haven't had a problem), but they really need to allocate a block of tix for both phones and physical outlets, if they don't already, if they do there should be more.

But truly, for all of the service charges they get per ticket, there should be some oversight as to how they give access to their customers (or potential customers).

In the UK at least ticketmaster have fixed their servers and are the only site that won't buckle when major events go on sale (it's a good 2-3 years since I've been unable to get on to their site to try and buy tickets). Not sure how it works in the US but over here venue box offices (if they are selling to personal callers) get their own allocation of tickets entirely independent of ticketmaster.

What I guess this survey is is an attempt to offer the likes of Evil Nation, AEG et al other options as to how they they can hike their prices even further. The final victory in the battle against scalpers is just to scalp the lot of them themselves.

Not sure how it works in the US but over here venue box offices (if they are selling to personal callers) get their own allocation of tickets entirely independent of ticketmaster.

In N.A., TM has some ticket window locations beyond the venues. From what I've read, people who have tried these for high-demand tickets get screwed--maybe the first person in line might get tix, but by the 3rd person, nada. It shouldn't be that way.

TM sucks a lot of different balls, but driving everyone to their Web site for sales makes it very inequitable to those who don't have internet access, high-speed access or multiple computers to try from, etc.

This is such a bullshit sentiment. "It's just capitalism" pisses me off. I know we all like to think that capitalism is such an awesome freedome loving Amerkin Way® mentality that is infallible and always works, but here's a newsflash; it doesn't.

When there's no regulation that protects the general public from fair competition and monopolies, that's not capitalism.

Hmm, perhaps I should have stated it this way -- the auction format options, using internet technology, are a better way to help the market participants (ticket buyers concert providers) set the price of tickets based on supply of and demand for tickets.

In theory then, great seats in Boston on a Saturday night get bid up, bleeders in Des Moines on a Tuesday, go for $8 or less.

I like those options as a ticket buyer.

The server issues are a pain but if you think about it, why would they spend a lot of money on infrastructure when the shows all sell out anyway? It sucks to be the people kicked off but when it comes back up 30 seconds later there's still a line of people ready to purchase those tickets.

I'm with Sicy, I expect nothing from U2 or Ticketbastard. If I get tickets, great, but if I don't there's a dozen other ways to get 'em.

Hmm, perhaps I should have stated it this way -- the auction format options, using internet technology, are a better way to help the market participants (ticket buyers concert providers) set the price of tickets based on supply of and demand for tickets.

In theory then, great seats in Boston on a Saturday night get bid up, bleeders in Des Moines on a Tuesday, go for $8 or less.

But, in theory you also know that those $8 Des Moines tickets will still have an $8.75 convenience charge, a $3.25 facility charge and a $5.00 processing fee.

:lol:

That might work well for folks in smaller markets but for those of us in large markets like LA and NY we'd get screwed. I would not be able to afford to go to concerts because EVERY show I go to in LA sells out and fast. For instance the RedZone tix for the Rose Bowl and Anaheim 1 were the highest priced of the tour.

I for one greatly appreciate that U2 is able to keep ticket prices affordable, and that they price what I think are the best seats extraordinarily reasonably.

That might work well for folks in smaller markets but for those of us in large markets like LA and NY we'd get screwed. I would not be able to afford to go to concerts because EVERY show I go to in LA sells out and fast. For instance the RedZone tix for the Rose Bowl and Anaheim 1 were the highest priced of the tour.

I for one greatly appreciate that U2 is able to keep ticket prices affordable, and that they price what I think are the best seats extraordinarily reasonably.

But just think, it might be cheaper to fly to Des Moines to use an $8 ticket than to pay the auction price for an LA ticket. And you get the frequent flyer miles. Really it's a win-win. :wink:

:rolleyes:

I think the system now is deeply flawed, but the alternatives truly suck. I would just like to see some oversight of TM. They are a monopoly.

I received this e-mail today. It's from Metropolitan Talent. Not sure how I got on their e-mail list, but this is one piece of spam I didn't mind receiving. I'm not in the US though, so it's not really something I can follow up on. Hopefully some of you will, though.

There's a train wreck about to happen and consumer groups say YOU will be the victim - if the two most powerful corporate interests in the live concert business get their way. But you can help stop the merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation. The government needs to hear from music fans now. Tell the Department of Justice that you're against these monopolies amassing illegal power over consumers, before it's too late. antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

As a concertgoer you have already felt the pain, and if Ticketmaster and Live Nation get their way, it'll get worse. In the last 12 years, since Live Nation and its predecessor started its widespread take over of the concert industry, concert tickets have shot up 82% while the consumer price index has gone up just 17%*. We are concerned that if the two concert industry behemoths, Live Nation and Ticketmaster, were permitted to merge, the variety and quality of artists coming to local venues would be affected, and your prices could rise further and faster.

Five of the nation's most prominent public interest groups called on the Department of Justice to block the proposed merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation.

In the consumer groups' and lawmakers' words:

"Consumers deserve a fair deal in the entertainment marketplace, not the fewer choices and higher prices that would result from this merger," said Susan Grant, Director of Consumer Protection at Consumer Federation of America.

"This merger is an insult to both musicians and consumers," said James Love, Director of Knowledge Ecology International

"We cannot envision a remedy that would ease this chilling impediment to competition… In the absence of other effective, expeditious remedies, the proposed transaction should be prohibited." American Antitrust Institute White Paper

As described by Senator Herb Kohl (WI) in the Senate Antitrust hearing, "This merger will not only expand Ticketmaster's control of the ticketing market by eliminating a competitor, but it is also creating an entity that will control the entire chain of the concert business – from artist management to concert promotion and production to ticketing and ticket resale."

"This merger would be a disaster for consumers. Nothing short of blocking this takeover of the ticket market by two industry behemoths will be acceptable," said National Consumers League Executive Director Sally Greenberg.

"As president, I will direct my administration to reinvigorate antitrust enforcement. I will step up review of merger activity and take effective action to stop or restructure those mergers that are likely to harm consumer welfare…," said Senator Barak Obama when he was campaigning for the presidency.

If you agree with the consumer groups and lawmakers, make a difference and LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD NOW.

If you are tired of paying exorbitant ticket prices and service charges and paying for parking on a per head basis and dealing with the gouging, unregulated secondary ticket market in an effort to get good seating. If you are disgusted with paying more and more every year for the live concert experience THAN ACT NOW, CLICK ON THE LINK IMMEDIATELY BELOW AND SEND A MESSAGE TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE URGING THEM TO STOP THIS MERGER!
antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov

To learn more, check out:

ticketdisaster.org

Public Interest Groups Call on Justice Department to Block Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Comcast Merger

American Antitrust Institute's White Paper TICKETMASTER - LIVE NATION

Philadelphia Weekly's cover story "Monopoly Rules"

Signed,

The 9:30 Club, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Jam Productions, Metropolitan Talent, Another Planet, Frank Productions, Stone City Attractions, Rams Head Live, The Black Cat …… and independent concert promoters and venue operators nationwide.

*Study by Princeton University economist Alan Krueger

It all depends how it's done. What's funny is that only tiny amount of tickets for all TM shows have "sky is the limit" level demand, and what TM never want to find out is that a huge number of tickets are priced above market demand(ie: if done auction style nosebleed tickets would be in the $25-40 range) for most arena type shows.

I've always hated the "if you didn't buy tix in the first 10 mins of onsale you have to deal with the secondary market" intentional chaos. Give the consumer choices. Put a couple hundred/thousand tickets in the auction, a couple hundred/thousand in the "descending auction", have a presale and have the general onsale. For this to work there needs to be full disclosure in advance of % of tix goin to each and the consumer can pick their poison.

Where this gets confusing is it's going to work differently for each artist and this won't be easy for the general consumer. Known money grubbers like Eagles/Bon Jovi/Madonna/Stones can't really use the same system as Springsteen/Pearl Jam/Tom Waits/Tom Petty/U2.

This will backfire on TM/LN:
-Pricing out tighter budget fans
-NY/LA having high prices and middle US having less demand. I could easily see ridiculous situations where it's 4 times as much to see a show at MSG than an arena in New Jersey.
-Scrutiny regarding price fixing
-reinforcing stereotype that rock concerts are strictly for upper class
-first 30 rows of fans sitting there arms-crossed or texting away to brag that they are close at some "event".
-They now have to pay taxes on ALL their income.

Back
Top Bottom