Thoughts about the new stage design? + Rolling Stone re: T H E C L A W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read through a lot of this thread so I don't know if this was already posted, but someone at u2.com emailed Willie Williams about the stage and he responded with the following:

Interesting! Thanks for posting that.

Maybe we'll hear : "This is evil bono" coming out of the "Spacship" .
Every time i look at the stage design. I think of the elevation clip... for some reason.

two bridges :up:

maybe they will bring back the lemon and it can cross the bridges. instead of "kiss the future, fuck the past" the lemon could roll out with "fuck the future, kiss our ass" and they could fly off into the night in the spinning lemon. i like that

:lmao:

Of course there will be ego-ramps.

This thing looks cool, but I feel like they went a bit half-assed here.

I mean it looks like the stage will still be at one end, all their gear will be in one line, and their backs will still be to the people behind the stage most of the time.

Full balls would have been the claw in the middle of the stadium with GA on both sides. This is not 360 - this is management being able to sell more tickets in a stadium behind the stage.

Look at Metallica's current rig - it is nothing fancy, but the pure definition of 360.

stage3-gal-metallica_o2.jpg

stage-gal-metallica_o2.jpg

metallica.jpg

^ Yes, but by selling the seats behind the stage you almost have 360. These seats are cool, and it allows more fans into the stadium to see the concert. I, too, would have loved the stage in the middle of the stadium, but I guess it's technically difficult, and how should the band go on stage? What I'm curious about are the concerts where the stage will be centered, like Milan. Will there be GA all around? I guess it's also better for people on seats, because you are practically in the same distance from the stage, no matter where you're sitting.

Btw, the Metallica stage looks cool, but how does the band get on stage?
And it works only in arenas, because you need a roof to hang the lights and speakers.

To be fair, i seem to remember from the very start of the tour rumours the band ALWAYS said the stage would still favour one end of the stadium, and didnt bono even say again in a recent interview that it would be closer to one end?, the 360 is refering to the seats behind the stage, and always has, but we have yet to see the rig in action, so we really dont know what happens with it.

I would not worry about the band getting to the stage - remember Popmart.

They walked from the middle of the stadium to the stage with a bunch of security like a boxer. Was not a problem.

I would not worry about the band getting to the stage - remember Popmart.

They walked from the middle of the stadium to the stage with a bunch of security like a boxer. Was not a problem.

that shit was badass.

well, I figured there would be bridges, but good to get confirmation :up:

Metallica's stage will will probably look like an ant next to U2's Claw.

A rotating stage is nothing new. Sinatra did it in the 1980's, I believe. Metallica did it in the 1990's.

Supposedly Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers danced on a rotating stage in a 1930's film.

I wonder whether Edge will have more than one mike set-up on the stage. Given his pedal effects and the fact that he is the backing vocal on so many songs, is he going to be "grounded" in one place or have multiple set-ups to enable him to wander around?

I wonder whether Edge will have more than one mike set-up on the stage. Given his pedal effects and the fact that he is the backing vocal on so many songs, is he going to be "grounded" in one place or have multiple set-ups to enable him to wander around?

this is a good question.

My feeling is he will have his pedals in one location, while there may be a few mic positions. I still doubt that though.

I really think this is going to be a uni-directional performance with people sitting behind the stage like an arena.

I hope not thought.

It woul dbe very easy to put Larry's riser on a turntable and have different mic spots.

this is a good question.

My feeling is he will have his pedals in one location, while there may be a few mic positions. I still doubt that though.

I really think this is going to be a uni-directional performance with people sitting behind the stage like an arena.

I hope not thought.

It woul dbe very easy to put Larry's riser on a turntable and have different mic spots.

I'm inclined to agree that, despite touting the "360" nature of the show, it will likely be a straight-ahead performance.

Perhaps Edge might make more use of a headphone mic, ala the way Zoo Station was performed on the Vertigo tour.

With "The Claw" being so massive, dare I conclude that the best seats are actually behide the stage????

What do people think, really? If the stage *does not* rotate, doesn't it feel like you're looking down into a fishbowl from soooo high up but close to/behind the stage? I'm trying to decide which seats to try for in the general sale:hmm:

I'd love to do behind the stage in an arena sometime, but in a stadium from on waaay high?!

Well I was behide the stage twice for Elevation arena shows, and I gotta say it was pretty cool being close to the band, and getting the perspective the band had.... looking out into the audience.

True, behind the stage for the stadium show may be different...but isn't it relative. The massiveness of the claw (both width and heigth) would almost be as looking at a smaller stage in a smaller arena. Besides, in terms of having reserved seats, behind the stage would certainly be closer than say... having seats at the opposite end of the stadium.

I suppose it also matters which stadium you attend. Some stadiums have higher, steeper sections while others seem like gradual ascendance from the floor.

says forum member Howie in 'tour visuals' thread:

Neo Hall, promoter of U2 concerts in Spain since 1992, says this about the visuals in an interview with the spanish newspaper El Pais (translated by Goggle Translate)

"I think that the circular stage of the mast is over 50 meters tall, it will be seen from outside the Nou Camp," he explains. "The structure of the scene is like a giant four-legged spider, and the screen that surrounds it is mobile, it contracts, expands, and acts as translucent curtain backdrop projection. Come on, dazzling.

About this screen, Neo tells a story: "The team from the tour were three bids for the display, an expensive, other means and finally the cheap. They proved with the environment and found that in certain conditions, could problems, so I opted for the expensive. As they told me, who gave them the screen told them that he did not see why so many doubt if the total difference in price was led by 1 euro. He forgot that the screen has 500,000 leds . Neo estimated 12 cameras will live images of the group, which will complement, it is assumed spectacular display audiovisual projections."

It will be nice!

what does this mean? like something from the elevation tour with the projection type screen?

hmm... how would that be able to be set up? maybe the screen can expand into somewhat of a cone shape that goes behind the band instead of coming down in front of the band? :hmm:

maybe within the screens, the claw, comes down a translucent screen with which projections where projected upon...or something:lol:

maybe within the screens, the claw, comes down a translucent screen with which projections where projected upon...or something:lol:

yea, but since they are all in a circle together and the screen is also in a circle, so if a screen came down, it would cover all of the members, or come down in front of larry right in the middle of the circle?

this is the plan of the maximir stadium in zagreb, croatia where u2 will hold the concert on august the 10th.

you can see that there will be some kind of a bridge from the backstage stadium entrance to the circle stage so i guess the band will come in that way- am i right?
also note that the price of tickets for the backstage part of the stands (south) is the same as the side part of the stadium stands (east and west) so i guess they will include that part of the crowd in the concert experience. acutally i hope they will cause i've got a ticket for the south (backstage) stands:)
and one last thing- i'm thinking of changing my ticket for the one for the pitch (GA) - what do you think -should i? i'm really not prepared to camp a day in advance to secure my place in the entrance line but i still want to have a good view of the show. i seriously don't know what to do so i would apreciate if someone with a little more experience with u2 concerts could give me some advice.
thanks!!!!!

So how will The Claw translate visually?

There doesn't seem to be any real big screen involved with this tour setup. How do you think the setup is going to translate visually?

For example, 'The Fly' traditionally has had the backdrop with the words flashing in the background. Do you think the lack of a giant screen for visuals is a mistake or have we not seen the entire setup yet?

oops... didn't see the similar thread discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom