The fear of a new influenza-pandemia ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the reason for all the concern is that the more it spreads, the greater chance of it mutating and potentially being resistant to current available antiviral drugs. based on past pandemics, this thing could take months to run its course. not too encouraging with the tour starting in June and the country of Mexico pretty much shut down until further notice...hopefully all the fear/precautions will turn out to be overkill...

Ok – so as a person who will at the very least be exposed to said swine flu (if I’m not already – we’ve had several people come in and test positive for influenza A with cultures pending). The seasonal flu that comes around every year – it also kills. So does, for that matter, drug resistant TB, community acquired MRSA, meningitis, and a whole host of other nasties that are going around at this moment that are not getting the media attention that swine flu is.

So here are Nurse Chrissi’s swine flu health tips and (true) observations of the last week

1. All the stuff about washing your hands is good advice. You can’t believe the number of lives saved when Florence Nightingale figured out that if you had clean conditions and washed your hands between patients people actually lived. Of course she died of Syphilis so take that with a grain of salt

2. Cover your mouth when you cough – do not spit on the floor – happened today. I will once again go on a rant about Darwinism and how we inhibit it.

3. If you decide to wear a mask – please for the love of God cover your nose as well (helpful tip – they are all connected). Also do not try and kiss others with the mask on. I will mock you

4. If you do have a respiratory infection think about the idea of stopping smoking – yes even that weed. Also might be a good time to lay off the meth
a. IF you smoke and are wearing oxygen I will feel NO pity for what happens next.
b. Again - Darwinism

5. Do not take Tamiflu “just in case” or if you just have the sniffles – you are just helping to increase drug resistance. And I will hurt you

6. IF you thinking about visiting a person in the hospital who has the flu – don’t. Mocking again

7. IF you have the flu or symptoms of the flu don’t come into my unit and infect all the staff and my immunocompromised patients. I will physically hurt you

8. Don’t even think about bringing in your child – this has three parts
a. All children are walking germ pods
b. Hospitals have designer bugs that can kill children
c. I will mock you in front of your child

we will be fine - soon enough the swine flu will be replaced by something cooler like goat flu

If Obama dies from it, the contingency plan involves Will Smith as President. He has a lot of experience in saving the world

I think the reason for all the concern is that the more it spreads, the greater chance of it mutating and potentially being resistant to current available antiviral drugs. based on past pandemics, this thing could take months to run its course. not too encouraging with the tour starting in June and the country of Mexico pretty much shut down until further notice...hopefully all the fear/precautions will turn out to be overkill...

Thanx, mate – that's exactly, what this thread is about ...:up:

Ok – so as a person who will at the very least be exposed to said swine flu (if I’m not already – we’ve had several people come in and test positive for influenza A with cultures pending). The seasonal flu that comes around every year – it also kills. So does, for that matter, drug resistant TB, community acquired MRSA, meningitis, and a whole host of other nasties that are going around at this moment that are not getting the media attention that swine flu is.

So here are Nurse Chrissi’s swine flu health tips and (true) observations of the last week

1. All the stuff about washing your hands is good advice. You can’t believe the number of lives saved when Florence Nightingale figured out that if you had clean conditions and washed your hands between patients people actually lived. Of course she died of Syphilis so take that with a grain of salt

2. Cover your mouth when you cough – do not spit on the floor – happened today. I will once again go on a rant about Darwinism and how we inhibit it.

3. If you decide to wear a mask – please for the love of God cover your nose as well (helpful tip – they are all connected). Also do not try and kiss others with the mask on. I will mock you

4. If you do have a respiratory infection think about the idea of stopping smoking – yes even that weed. Also might be a good time to lay off the meth
a. IF you smoke and are wearing oxygen I will feel NO pity for what happens next.
b. Again - Darwinism

5. Do not take Tamiflu “just in case” or if you just have the sniffles – you are just helping to increase drug resistance. And I will hurt you

6. IF you thinking about visiting a person in the hospital who has the flu – don’t. Mocking again

7. IF you have the flu or symptoms of the flu don’t come into my unit and infect all the staff and my immunocompromised patients. I will physically hurt you

we will be fine - soon enough the swine flu will be replaced by something cooler like goat flu

:applaud: As another nurse I second everything said here. Flu will always kill the very young who have never been exposed to any flu virsuses yet, also the elderley who have chest problems already - survival of the fittest theory. Seasonal flu kills thousands in the UK every year but gets little attention as its expected.

The best way to avoid swine flu is good hand hygiene by everyone, and boost your immune system by healthy eating and lifestyles.

Sicy made a GIF of this. I can't post it though since I'm on my iPod right now and I forgot to put it on my pb.

swinegif.gif

:shifty:

thank you so much for posting this! the sad thing is these tips/observations seem so "no shit" but sadly, people keep doing them. for example, my doctor's office has (and has had this posted for a while) basically politely explaining to not demand antibiotics if you have a viral infection. bacteria =/= virus. and the washing hands thing, it's so gross that in this day and age people still use the bathroom, sneeze, etc. and don't wash their hands afterwards.

as others have said in this thread, the number of confirmed cases and deaths of the swine flu is small compared to those just getting regular flu every year. i hate the way society is these days where basically whenever something goes wrong, you have to panic and find a solution NOW. no, if a contagious virus is spreading throughout the globe, take basic precautions to try to avoid exposure (or at least keep clean if you must be exposed to it) and wait and see if medicine can be developed to prevent it or treat it. i'm not accusing anyone here of overreacting, just the media really. the way it's being covered, you'd think thousands were dropping dead every day from the swine flu. all it does is make people freak the fuck out and, like nurse chrissi said, people will start taking medication when they might just have regular seasonal allergies or something, basically taking medicine that isn't helping any and just decreases your body's resistance from flu strains.

b. Again - Darwinism

:up:

b. Again - Darwinism

:up:
By the way: Today the WHO officially has declared, Europe has the flu under control ...

2 large high schools are closed for 3 weeks in San Diego because 1 student has unconfirmed flu symptoms. :crack:

They closed about 7 schools in the Seattle area for the same reasons, and then today I read in the paper that they're not going to close any more schools; they'd decided it wasn't necessary.

I think it's helping that the cases in the US are very mild cases of the flu. You don't close schools when a kid gets the plain old flu, so why close them now?

This flu nonsense is such a crock. Just another excuse to fear monger and drive tv ratings up.

"Juju man, juju man, doc says your fine or dying, please."

This flu nonsense is such a crock. Just another excuse to fear monger and drive tv ratings up."

After this and a dozen postings similar to this one, today we have the situation, that WHO has declared the flu as "pandemia" a quarter of an hour ago – the highest emergency category, we have. Maybe now some more people will try to find their brain, stop making jokes about more than 28000 people being infected worldwide – and think about this issue more serious ...:|

i am sure alot more people around the world have "normal flu", did you know people can die from that also?

After this and a dozen postings similar to this one, today we have the situation, that WHO has declared the flu as "pandemia" a quarter of an hour ago – the highest emergency category, we have. Maybe now some more people will try to find their brain, stop making jokes about more than 28000 people being infected worldwide – and think about this issue more serious ...:|

"28k infected worldwide", how about 1mln every year dying from a normal, regular flu and probably hundreds of milions infected by this simple, normal flu?

Unfortunately, this may be one of those pandemics that really goes after the poorer populations of developing nations while us in the developed world are largely spared due to superior medical facilities/public health/preparedness.

As such I wouldn't worry about the tour, seeing as the major cities of Western Europe are neither dealing with overwhelming numbers of infections, and the only major public gatherings that have been cancelled due to the outbreak were football matches in Mexico around a month ago. Music festivals (where I must add, not to sound silly, there is increased and longer sustained contact amongst tens of thousands of people) are going ahead as planned and there's no reason to think that the U2 tour is at risk here.

The word pandemic does not refer to the severity of the disease, it only refers to the extent of the spread. As far as I've heard, this flu is acting like a mild, seasonal flu so far.

Back
Top Bottom