The fear of a new influenza-pandemia ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reaction people are having is because its something new in humans, while it does have the potential to mutate quickly because of its mix of elements from a number viruses, we need to keep this in perspective. More than 37,000 people are killed by the regular flu every year, something no one really fears and just takes as a part of daily life, so far we have 160 or so fatalities in Mexico from this flu. And thus far it appears to be less virulent in the US.

:up:

and that's 37k of deaths in US only, it's around 1mln every year worldwide. SARS killed around 800 people and 'birds flu' around 300, of course every single death is tragic, but compared to the number of people killed by a regular flu, it's a really "small" number.
Don't get me wrong, being carefull etc is always a good thing, but as powerhour24 said, we all need to keep this in perspective.

4272009114704PM_swine.jpg

anyone else think that this is actually the "T Virus" and that people will morph into Zombies by Saturday?

Well, I wasn't until NOW!

:uhoh:

If this is the case, I hope I can count on you, my dear friends, to take me out by decapitation if I become infected.

Still people having a laugh on this issue – that's scary ...:doh:

:doh:

There are over 6.5 billion people on this planet. Less than 200 of these 6.5 billion have died from swine flu. Remind me again, how is this scary?

Just wash your hands regularly, particularly before you eat (which is something you should be doing anyway, "pandemic" or not), and don't allow other people to breathe on your face (again, something you should be doing anyway). We're all going to be okay. Even Bono. Really. We're all going to be okay.

Thousands of people die from the plain-old non-pandemic flu every year, and there isn't public panic about that, and it doesn't make the news.

Mexico seems to be the anomaly so far, in that they've had many fatal cases (which yes, is serious and sad). Cases reported in the US for the most part are mild, and are responding to treatment. Have not heard reports from the rest of the world about the specific cases (news I've seen has been very US and Mexico-centric).

What exactly are we supposed to be all ONOEZ OMG about in this thread? Take care of yourself, try to avoid people who seem to be sick, if you get sick stay home from work/school and see a doctor. If you do get sick, it sure seems to be easily treatable at this point.

If/when that changes, then maybe there'll be stuff to worry about.

We're not laughing at the flu itself just how the media is treating it...

I asked you once before, how would you want us to react? Should we show more fear, hysteria, etc... what do you want?

First I don't want anything, nor do I see that

a) I'm on the one side of the side

nor

b) you are are the sokesperson of everybody else here on the other side of the fence – whicht you do by implying using the word "us"

First I don't want anything,

Then why keep returning to the thread asking why we're not taking it seriously?

nor do I see that

a) I'm on the one side of the side
Um, what?

:scratch:

nor

b) you are are the sokesperson of everybody else here on the other side of the fence – whicht you do by implying using the word "us"
Are you sure? We held a meeting yesterday, and I was elected to be the spokesperson. Have I already been impeached?

Apologies
I guess that slightly crossed the line by a few millimetres

Re-phrased
Perhaps they can spread pig flu into the caves of Afghanistan to kill the bad apples

There is a pigflu case ten mins from where i live!

By the way, long time no see Corrianderstem! :wave:

Is that a pic of the lady from Futurama you have?

We're not laughing at the flu itself just how the media is treating it...

yeah i think many people are being skeptical because the media has cried wolf so many times in the past...

i am concerned about it though

Back
Top Bottom