The CLAW Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The distance from the lip of the stage to the circle walkway needs to be the same. I doubt that it is. There's also the problem of bumping into heads and sightlines.

That and it would serve that much of a purpose and not worth the expense/hassle of installation.

The tracks would be for unmanned cameras. Like used at the Olympics and the automated HD cameras used onstage at Springsteen shows. They're less of a distraction for audience members and makes for cleaner sightlines.

headache:the moving mirrorball lemon didn't travel directly over the top of the crowd...

The bridges may not move during the show, but it's really not that complicated. Sure they seem a bit low but things are still in the planning phases. They may very likely be working out where they may work most effectively & might change during the first few shows... we'll see... but use a little imagination. They seem clearly designed to be used for their quintessential purpose. Of course, you have the barricades which might not afford you to reach to the bridges and they'll probably lock into place somehow to prevent unintended movement if if you can touch it. Plus, there are also crew members close to the stage that can assist with things like this, call me crazy.

I have been looking at the photos and it occurred to me that many of the pics are being taken from what appears to be the middle tier section of the stadium. The view seems pretty good from there. What about those in the lower sections and from behind in the lower sections? I guess instead of looking down at the stage as the majority of the pics show, the view from lower levels will be on a more even plain with the band?

Thoughts?

The bridges may not move during the show, but it's really not that complicated. Sure they seem a bit low but things are still in the planning phases.

At this stage they are way beyond the "planning phase", sure they may be tweaking a few things here and there but everything has already been planned out.

Here's the thing, when you enclose a group of people in an area like the "pit"(or whatever we want to call it) you have to follow certain codes; heights and widths of exits, clearly marked, etc even if it's a temporary structure. The only thing that makes sense is to place these bridges at the entrance of the "pit" area. I did a quick sketch on autocad(well because that use to be my profession and I'm a geek that way) and they will have to barricade 3 feet out from where the bridge meets the catwalk stage(and that was using some very liberal guesses) in order to have the proper clearance.

Yes, it's a long hall back to the stage, but I really don't see anyway around that.

09061501.jpg

nice!

two things:

-it's nice to see most of the clutter and construction equipment cleared out, it looks a lot cleaner.

-the ramps between the stage and the catwalk appear to have moved... I'm thinking they will be at the back on either side in a way "cutting off" the inner circle (or whatever the hell they are calling it this time) from the rest of GA, just a guess though.

Willie Williams is as much a genius as the band (and Eno/Lanois) are. This structure is amazing.

U2 are buying carbon offsets in relation to the tour, but other than that I don’t want to speak for them regarding green issues. For myself though, I have spent much time considering the issue and wondering what possible justification there can be in such a carbon hungry enterprise. Radiohead are friends of mine and I have talked to Thom Yorke at length about greener touring. I really admire what they have achieved and Thom is exceptionally sensible about the whole thing. However, with a tour of this magnitude it might appear abundantly clear that the greenest thing would be to just not do it at all. In our defense, even the most massive rock tours are extremely short-lived compared with, say, the life-span of a car factory in China. More importantly, though, on another level, a tour like this has value in another way. Even though eco-issues are becoming more crucial by the day, it would be cultural and spiritual suicide to declare that humankind should cease any and every activity, which is not utterly necessary or practical. I’ve been designing shows for a long time and quite regularly I will be approached by a total stranger who is burning to tell me that some show that I vaguely remember doing was “the high point of my life.” I’m not exaggerating; these shows affect people’s lives in a deeply significant way and somehow provide meaning. That being the case, I really believe that at least some of what we do as an industry has value that is worth a short-term carbon spend.

For some reason this paragraph really got my attention. I won't start a new thread on it, though :wink:

Also, that the fabric over the legs will not be used for video projection, however lighting. This looks to be an interesting challenge, to say the least!

nice!

-the ramps between the stage and the catwalk appear to have moved... I'm thinking they will be at the back on either side in a way "cutting off" the inner circle (or whatever the hell they are calling it this time) from the rest of GA, just a guess though.

Hmm. Looks like there is a ramp right smack dab in the middle of the front (stage centre). I sure hope that is the ramp that's moving back! Kindof a weird spot for it...can't see why they would assemble it somewhere only to move it? Also, they do *appear* to be high enough for people to be underneath them...wonder why they did that if they're going to be situated at the back cutting off the outside area as you mention?

In the new picture one of the bridges is now at the front of the stage.

ooops! look like someone else noticed it first

Hmm. Looks like there is a ramp right smack dab in the middle of the front (stage centre). I sure hope that is the ramp that's moving back! Kindof a weird spot for it...can't see why they would assemble it somewhere only to move it? Also, they do *appear* to be high enough for people to be underneath them...wonder why they did that if they're going to be situated at the back cutting off the outside area as you mention?

that's what I'm guessing - the original schematics had it like that as well. I can see them putting up crowd barriers around them with a space for people in the inner circle to move back and forth for food/drinks/merchandise/bathroom breaks etc...

Ineresting part about greener touring:

Given that the artist is U2, how much was the carbon footprint a consideration in this design? Are there many LEDs or other energy efficient lighting?

U2 are buying carbon offsets in relation to the tour, but other than that I don’t want to speak for them regarding green issues. For myself though, I have spent much time considering the issue and wondering what possible justification there can be in such a carbon hungry enterprise. Radiohead are friends of mine and I have talked to Thom Yorke at length about greener touring. I really admire what they have achieved and Thom is exceptionally sensible about the whole thing. However, with a tour of this magnitude it might appear abundantly clear that the greenest thing would be to just not do it at all. In our defense, even the most massive rock tours are extremely short-lived compared with, say, the life-span of a car factory in China. More importantly, though, on another level, a tour like this has value in another way. Even though eco-issues are becoming more crucial by the day, it would be cultural and spiritual suicide to declare that humankind should cease any and every activity, which is not utterly necessary or practical. I’ve been designing shows for a long time and quite regularly I will be approached by a total stranger who is burning to tell me that some show that I vaguely remember doing was “the high point of my life.” I’m not exaggerating; these shows affect people’s lives in a deeply significant way and somehow provide meaning. That being the case, I really believe that at least some of what we do as an industry has value that is worth a short-term carbon spend.

nice!
that's what the original drawings show too.
apart from that, I think it's almost sure they will move somewhere during the show. What would be the sense to assemble them on another location and move them several times when building it?

no, like I said, I think they are going to move them back to either end, there was a better schematic posted earlier but I couldn't find it, this is the best I can find right now, pardon the size and my crude paint skillz:

lg_washington.jpg

Yep, that's making the most sense...I don't understand the construction clearly, I just don't see any real value in constructing the bridge out on the front of the ellipse...weird..

For some reason this paragraph really got my attention. I won't start a new thread on it, though :wink:

Also, that the fabric over the legs will not be used for video projection, however lighting. This looks to be an interesting challenge, to say the least!

I think that there will be lighting underneath the "buttons" that, when projected on the underside of the buttons, will be reflected and light the fabric.

If anyone listens to Howard, you'll get this. If not, don't take it the wrong way. Regaurding the stage... It's Huuuuuuuuuuudddddddgggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SMB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom