Taking a 9 yr old to see U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez people, enough with the overzealous "ear plug" paranoia...it's not a Slayer concert...or Megadeath...or, well, you know what I mean. Sure, have a pair handy in case you feel it's too loud but really, settle down.

My daughter was about ten when she saw her first U2 show and she was fine without earplugs.

We teased her all night about inhaling what the guy next to her was smoking, though.

9 years old!!!! I was all of FIFTEEN before I was allowed by my parents to go to any concerts!!!!

If I had to suffer, I don't see why kids of today should get it easy :grumpy:

Oh yeah bring earplugs.

:angry: I wasn't allowed to see u2 when I was fifteen. Parents considered me too young to go to Amsterdam by myself! Pfft!

My dad took me to a rock concert ten years ago when I was 12. I became a Led Zeppelin fan (Page & Plant were performing on the concert) that very moment. :D And being a kid augmented the experience - it was surreal, even though there weren't any special effects or an impressive stage (which isn't the case here :)). Therefore, she'll be thrilled, that's for sure. :) After all, it's U2, right? :applaud:

However, safety first: earplugs, just in case.

he like Danica Patrick's car

Ha! Who doesn't like Danica's...um...car? He obviously has good taste.

And as far as kids' hearing and earplugs, just as disturbing as not caring for a kid's ears at concert is the number of young kids I see with their iPod earbuds in blasting whatever. People wouldn't let their kids stare at the sun (okay most people wouldn't), it's similar to letting their ears get pummeled.

:shrug:

M

And as far as kids' hearing and earplugs, just as disturbing as not caring for a kid's ears at concert is the number of young kids I see with their iPod earbuds in blasting whatever. People wouldn't let their kids stare at the sun (okay most people wouldn't), it's similar to letting their ears get pummeled.

I find your lack of faith in the volume control disturbing. Last I checked, placing earbuds into one's ears is not, in and of itself, harmful. If a child is too dense to keep the volume at a level where it won't cause them physical harm, the earbuds should be taken away. I'm not certain a young child is mature enough to handle such a responsibility. But for a teenager or older child who should be able to comprehend pain and how it relates to them, I think you're being a little harsh on the parent. You never specifically mentioned the age range of the "kid" in question, so I'm not sure whether to agree with you or not.

I find your lack of faith in the volume control disturbing. Last I checked, placing earbuds into one's ears is not, in and of itself, harmful. If a child is too dense to keep the volume at a level where it won't cause them physical harm, the earbuds should be taken away. I'm not certain a young child is mature enough to handle such a responsibility. But for a teenager or older child who should be able to comprehend pain and how it relates to them, I think you're being a little harsh on the parent. You never specifically mentioned the age range of the "kid" in question, so I'm not sure whether to agree with you or not.

Oh no, I agree.
I'm talking about seeing young kids with iPods, say 8-12. And specifically, being able to hear the words of the music they are listening to--that's too loud.

M

hopefully she doesn't complain about the setlist.

by the way, you should look into getting earplugs for her.

You'll have no problem with your kids being there
everyone is chilled out and its not rough at all

ENJOY IT

I am in this boat too Raid.

9 year old daughter for the Vancouver show. I just don't know what to do. She loves U2 and the Peas.
Here is the kicker: I only have GAs. I was thinking if I took her, we would arrive late and hang out at the soundboard area. I would not even consider lining up or going near the front.
What I don't know is this: for 54 inches, is she going to see anything? Is there really enough space back there? I would really appreciate some input on this.
She has been to a So You Think You Can Dance Tour show, but nothing like this.
Do I be selfish and leave her at home? Do I take her and accept that bathroom breaks might happen and/or a sense of fear/loud noises make her want to leave? I just don't know. Plus, its a school night and in a different city.

Ha! Yeah, take her to the show anyway. She can at least see the screens and the light show of the Claw.

I am in this boat too Raid.

9 year old daughter for the Vancouver show. I just don't know what to do. She loves U2 and the Peas.
Here is the kicker: I only have GAs. I was thinking if I took her, we would arrive late and hang out at the soundboard area. I would not even consider lining up or going near the front.
What I don't know is this: for 54 inches, is she going to see anything? Is there really enough space back there? I would really appreciate some input on this.
She has been to a So You Think You Can Dance Tour show, but nothing like this.
Do I be selfish and leave her at home? Do I take her and accept that bathroom breaks might happen and/or a sense of fear/loud noises make her want to leave? I just don't know. Plus, its a school night and in a different city.

being at the soundboard is a good idea.. Remember this stage is omnious... and the 360 degree screen is amazing.. So, if she would be up for that she'll see it all really and still be a part of the show cuz from any part of the stadium you feel like you are right there in the middle of the music, show and spectacle of it all. IMO... I am taking my 11 yr old son to the DC show and the plan is to have him at the sound board cuz being in the thick of the GA by the stage is too much for him to handle.. There is also the chance that management may see you guys back there and give ya a better spot somewhere.. Last tour they were handing out wristbands for inside the ellipse to people with kids who were in the back, etc.

But don't feel bad about leaving her behind if you decide to do that.

Taking my daughters (8 and 10) to the same concert. They've heard U2 their whole life, so it makes sense at this point and on this tour to take them. Should be amazing!

So i'm considering taking my 9 year old daughter to the U2 concert in Vancouver. She LOVES the Black Eyed Peas and would like to see U2 as well. Would it be feasible to take a 9 year old to a U2 concert? lol

Well, you have a bigger concern on your hands and you dont realize it. 1st, let me answer your question, 100% yes you can bring your 9 year old to a u2 concert. There songs are not raunchy, rude nor do they contain curses (yes, Wake up dead man but they wont play it).

Now for your real concern. U2 is an "older" act, not very popular amongst the young kids. The Black Eyed Peas are much more popular, especially with songs like BOOM BOOM POW and I gotta feeling. But here is where your problem starts. See, your daughter will see the Black Eyed Peas perform, and she will yell, scream and shout and all will be well. Then, darkness will set in and a drummer will slowly walk on stage and start hitting the drums and Bono will come out and sing Breathe. Then they will play about 10 more songs and your daughter will be in near shock at how good these "old" guys are and she will sit there and perhaps be confused and think to her self "what is going on, what is this feeling coming over me of sheer excitement and joy and who were those local hillbillies who performed before this super group". Then it will happen, Where the Streets Have no Name will be played and if, only if, your daughter does not pass out from the power of the performance of WTSHNN, she will then know what the sound of an angel rising up to heaven sounds like. She will then go to school and talk about how U2 made the Black Eyed Peas look like a kindergartner trying out for a broadway musical after they haven't eaten in 8 hours and just found out their dog died and that they were the cause of this death. The other Kids might be upset by this and then your daughter is sent home for dropping a reality bomb on all of her classmates. Just something to think about :sexywink:

U2 parents rock.

My parents took me to shows and I always loved it (even though it was John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Up With People, etc.).

I take my parents and my kids to U2.

This year, my daughter, who is 15, will see her first show ever with me: U2 w/ Muse at the Georgia Dome. I love U2. She loves Muse. And we love each other. It should be a great night.

i'd ground her for liking the Black Eyed Peas

This.

And I don't know about the US, but at all European shows I was there was PLENTY of room at the soundboard. We came in around 5 or 6 pm and got a railspot there. Useful to hang your coat or stash bags. The only downside is that it'll be very sticky at the end due to the jerks spilling beer everywhere.

Don't worry about her not being able to see anything. Have you seen the stage setup? There's a HUGE ass screen, and if you can't see the stage(which, from that distance is too far anyway) the screen is good enough!

Back
Top Bottom