Stages of the U2 Tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
Question in general: Are U2 performances better early in the tour, in the middle, or towards the end?

On the one hand, there's something to be said for the better rehearsed, more relaxed, more confident U2 that plays in the 3rd or 4th leg of tours. There are fewer mistakes and the big moments are really played for maximum effect. On the other hand, I sometimes find the later stages of tours too set in their ways and slightly self-congratulatory.

I'm guessing that the answer might depend on how the tour starts. If they started very confident to begin with (like, The Joshua Tree tour), I'm guessing I will enjoy the earlier shows more, because the group are together but hungry; whereas if they start off a bit crap (like PopMart), then the later shows are generally better because they're just more together.

Oh, and then, there's the voice. Is there any noticeable change in Bono's vox as tours progress, or is that more dependent on their playing consecutive nights, and several gigs in a short period of time?

I've been to early shows the last three tours.

Popmart (show #7 of the tour) - the band SUCKED!

Elevation (show #6 of the tour) - the band was really good!

Vertigo (show #12 & #13 of the tour) - the band was really good!

yeah, i tend to think the band plays the best towards the middle of their tours. it seems like the beginning is always a little sloppy because they're still getting used to playing the new songs. the end of the tours can get a little sloppy too since the band is a little more relaxed.

of course, my theory doesn't always hold true, as it can sometimes just matter on the kind of night the band is having.

In the case of Vertigo, all legs had cool things about them, but the fifth leg was just incredible. I'd say the same thing about ZooTV, but for different reasons.

In the case of Vertigo, all legs had cool things about them, but the fifth leg was just incredible. I'd say the same thing about ZooTV, but for different reasons.

yes. i would consider the 5th leg almost flawless with the exception of them playing "The Saints Are Coming".

I really don't think there is any consistant pattern with this, at least from what I can tell but those that follow boots and what not may have found a pattern.

Voice wise Bono seemed to peak twice last tour middle and the very end, but in earlier tours it seemed to happen earlier in the tour...:shrug:

i have always had a preference for the early shows, especially during the popmart and elevation tours.

-dan

My preference is to see some shows from each leg from beginning to end for variety.
The Vertigo Tour evolved very nicely from a weak opener in San Diego to great middle shows (MSP, MSG, Vegas) to amazing finales (NZ and Bonolulu).

Mark

There's a fair amount of days off on this tour which is good. Definitely more than 2001.

For Elevation Bono hit his peak about a month in when he played California.

For all tours they are still "finding the show" early in the tour and later one it's really tight.

Any prediction on when in the tour "kermit" makes an appearance on vocals?

I would say the middle to late part of the first leg is best. The band by that point are starting to find really good form and know the songs, but Bono's voice hasn't been worn down and there tend to be more interesting, less common songs. Look at Vertigo, for instance - I'll take the end of the first leg over the fifth leg any day, simply because the first leg's song selection was fantastic, while the fifth leg was very close to being a greatest hits exposition.

There's a fair amount of days off on this tour which is good. Definitely more than 2001.

For Elevation Bono hit his peak about a month in when he played California.

For all tours they are still "finding the show" early in the tour and later one it's really tight.

Any prediction on when in the tour "kermit" makes an appearance on vocals?
I haven't heard kermit in 20 years. Let's hope he stays in hiding.
I would say the middle to late part of the first leg is best. The band by that point are starting to find really good form and know the songs, but Bono's voice hasn't been worn down and there tend to be more interesting, less common songs. Look at Vertigo, for instance - I'll take the end of the first leg over the fifth leg any day, simply because the first leg's song selection was fantastic, while the fifth leg was very close to being a greatest hits exposition.

I'm not sure I'd call a lot of the songs that were appearing, e.g. OTH, AOH, Kite, and WITS, "greatest hits".

The more elaborate the stage, I think the more time it takes for them to find their groove. I was at PopMart Vegas for the tour kick-off and also at the final 3rd leg show in Seattle. The band was much more comfortable with the stage and show in Seattle than they were in Vegas. Even so, Vegas was still an amazing concert to witness... warts & all.

I'm glad that this time the US will be getting the tour just about the time it's hitting its stride (sorry Europe).

I'm not sure I'd call a lot of the songs that were appearing, e.g. OTH, AOH, Kite, and WITS, "greatest hits".

It was very much the U2:18 Tour By Stealth, with greatest hits - or in the case of WITS and Saints, the songs meant to promote U2:18. I don't know how you can call Angel Of Harlem anything but a greatest hit; it very much is in the parts of the world they played (remember, RAH is U2's best selling album in Australia and AOH remains a radio favourite). One Tree Hill was done for a special reason and rarely; Kite was done since U2 didn't visit on Elevation.

But just compare fifth leg sets to first leg sets. The fifth leg had more hits, less treats for the fans (it was pretty lame not getting The Electric Co. or Gloria down here, especially since TEC was a proven stadium success), and was, as I say, U2:18 By Stealth.

It was very much the U2:18 Tour By Stealth, with greatest hits - or in the case of WITS and Saints, the songs meant to promote U2:18. I don't know how you can call Angel Of Harlem anything but a greatest hit; it very much is in the parts of the world they played (remember, RAH is U2's best selling album in Australia and AOH remains a radio favourite). One Tree Hill was done for a special reason and rarely; Kite was done since U2 didn't visit on Elevation.

But just compare fifth leg sets to first leg sets. The fifth leg had more hits, less treats for the fans (it was pretty lame not getting The Electric Co. or Gloria down here, especially since TEC was a proven stadium success), and was, as I say, U2:18 By Stealth.

walk on, wits, one tree hill, kite, desire vs. electric co, gloria, an cat dubh/ into the heart, oots.

you personal preference may have been for the 1st leg (mine too), but that doesn't mean they are less of hits. You didn't get the older songs, which i agree kind of sucks, but you got just as many rarely played songs (for vertigo anyway)- just happen to be newer ones. the only one of that you got that the other legs didn't that is a 'greatest hit' is AOH.

I'm going with Axver for the win.... seems like the latter part of the tour's first legs are indeed often best. I like rock with a bit of a fresh, spontaneous quality to it, and that does tend to disappear as the tours progress.

it's too bad they couldn't have combined the 1st leg setlists with the greatness of Kite and One Tree Hill.

I think for most tours they don't really start to hit their stride until the middle/end of the first leg. Not to say there can't be great shows at the beginning, but there seem to be fewer of them. The only tour I can think of that is the exception to this is Lovetown. The beginning of that tour the band was simply on fire. By Europe on that tour, they were still excellent but they seemed to already be wearing down somewhat from where they were at during the Australian shows.

I think for most tours they don't really start to hit their stride until the middle/end of the first leg. Not to say there can't be great shows at the beginning, but there seem to be fewer of them. The only tour I can think of that is the exception to this is Lovetown. The beginning of that tour the band was simply on fire. But Europe it was still good but seemed to already be wearing down somewhat from the Australian shows.

opening with Hawkmoon 269 was priceless. :drool:

the 5th leg was brilliant in terms of energy and bono's voice was on fire. I think it was the huge break between the dates. If we had them originally in March I think Bono would have propped himself on the mike for the whole night. We got them refreshed, and it was magical. :D

opening with Hawkmoon 269 was priceless. :drool:

I second that! :drool:

I have seen U2 live 16 times and I have yet to hear that song so Id love to hear it on this U2:360 tour but I have a gut feeling we wont be hearing it at all this year cos of new album and so many other classic oldies being in the way...here's hoping for next year though...

/setlist spoilers/

Aren't you afraid (in the US) that after 1st European leg they'll start to remove the more hardcore fan's songs from the set?
Lets face it, more than half of the crowd on each stadium will have no idea what's going on when they'll play UV, DM etc...
Sure, ES was a big hit in Europe, but not so much in US, they may not play it there at all.

I believe the band will be rehearsing in Toronto for the second leg of the tour, and that they might attempt to play different songs as they did for the Vertigo tour. Here are my reasons:

A: Roger Centre has a concrete pitch so no additional charges to replace the pitch afterwards
B: There is the Toronto International Film Festival that week, and you know how our boys like to shindig
C: They introduced Discotheque after rehearsing it in Toronto 2005
D: Cheaper to rent Rogers Centre in Canadian dollars
E: Toronto is home to Michael Cohl
F: Toronto - Hamilton area is hometown to Daniel Lanois
G: Fans are just cooler in Toronto, and they love staying in Yorkville
H: U2 gets additional rehearsal time in the echo chamber that is Rogers Centre

/setlist spoilers/

Aren't you afraid (in the US) that after 1st European leg they'll start to remove the more hardcore fan's songs from the set?
Lets face it, more than half of the crowd on each stadium will have no idea what's going on when they'll play UV, DM etc...
Sure, ES was a big hit in Europe, but not so much in US, they may not play it there at all.

No doubt they'll probably have set list changes for the N.A. leg, but I'm not concerned at all. We don't even know what they're choosing to play for the first leg yet.

There are plenty of songs that they haven't rehearsed yet that I would be more than happy to hear in place of almost anything that they have rehearsed (The Fly... anything off Pop or Zooropa... )

I believe the band will be rehearsing in Toronto for the second leg of the tour, and that they might attempt to play different songs as they did for the Vertigo tour. Here are my reasons:

A: Roger Centre has a concrete pitch so no additional charges to replace the pitch afterwards
B: There is the Toronto International Film Festival that week, and you know how our boys like to shindig

Discoteque was played like twice on vertigo.

U2 opened the 1997 fall leg at the Skydome. They didn't do a single soundcheck before the first night.

I preferred the latter part of Vertigo over the first leg. By that time they had weeded out the songs that didn't work well with the fans. Kite, for instance, was incredible on the outdoor version of the Vertigo tour.

Also, they improve/work on the visuals as the tour goes on. I think they will be able to do a lot visually with the claw and the way-cool screen.

I think they will rehearse there also. Why? convenience (not a long flight to the first show in Chicago), its available and its indoors. Yeah, they like Toronto, like a lot of N. American cities. It being available for the time frame and being indoors though are the main reasons they may rehearse there. It may also be cheaper to rent out than some other venues.

Back
Top Bottom