Stadium problems in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badu2fan

The Fly
U2 rumors: Maybe, maybe not
February 25, 2009

Source: Raleigh News & Observer David Menconi
Rumor going around this week has the Irish mega-band U2 playing the Triangle sometime this year, possibly at Duke University's Wallace Wade Stadium -- which would be the first rock concert there since the Rolling Stones in 2005. Unfortunately, however, that appears to be wishful thinking. Word from Duke's athletic department is that the date the band wanted wouldn't fit between football home dates.

Of course, Wallace Wade isn't the only stadium in the Triangle. But there's nothing definite to report elsewhere, either. There have reportedly been conversations about UNC-Chapel Hill's Kenan Stadium; but the home football schedule is apparently not cooperating there, either. And a representative from NC State's athletic department was unaware of any plans to bring U2 to Carter-Finley Stadium.

So: Don't be surprised if you wind up having to schlep over to Charlotte again.

This will be biggest problem in fall as most stadiums are in use and don't have window of time to set up show. For Popmart tour they had stage setup and the arc days before they canceled at Raleigh. It sure would be nice for them to come back and acknowledge they canceled on us.......THey have only played charlotte since and most of those show haven't sold out. For Elevation tour they had no seats behind the stage but called it a sell out. Anyway come to the triangle. More College kids within and hour of Raleigh then most US cities.....
:applaud:

working in the sports biz, one thing that will happen is whenever they play a natural grass field this time of the year, one of the concert overheads the band will have to pay for is replacement turf to resod the field after the gig, will cost them about 100k off the top for that. Look for most of the stadium to be field turf or natural turf venues to not have to deal with that cost..some places it will be unavoidable.

If there are enough fans to fill a stadium, I don't see how on earth you can blame greedy promoters. Heaven forbid the band try to accommodate as many fans as they can!

Exactly! I think this is a less risky option for U2, and if it goes well, we should see more dates in 2010.

Besides, what if a longer, demanding arena tour burnt-out Larry? Then no gets to see them play.

Mark---stadium lover and proud to admit it.

so does this mean U2 are looking to play smaller college type stadiums for their smaller markets? that duke stadium holds 35k which isn't all that much bigger than an arena

U2 should have made a shitty album to abandon the majority of their fans and accommodate Interference's desires for smaller venues. I'm sure a shitty album would cut the complaining here! :up:

Hopefully the report is true. It would be great if the band was seeking out college football venues (and not professional football venues) to play on this tour. It would also be a good sign for those fans in smaller markets if U2 was looking to have a date in the Carolinas.

I wish they'd play Arenas not Stadiums. Money hungry tour promoters. :down::mad:

Nope I'm going to disagree with you there stadiums make me feel like the band I follow is the BIG KAHUNA......I especially want them to do stadiums to be able to shove Henry Rollins prediction that they'd never do stadiums again in the U.S. after POPMART down his stupid pie hole :applaud:

I also think there is a practical reason for doing stadiums.....less shows means less strain on Bono's voice and the band workload 25 stadium dates in America is much easier to handle than 50 arena dates.....sometimes with back to back nights....the downside...possible weather problems

I wish they'd play Arenas not Stadiums. Money hungry tour promoters. :down::mad:

That decision and responsibility starts and ends with the band, not the promoters and that includes ticket pricing as well. No one is twisting U2's arm to play stadiums. They want to play those type of venues for various reasons that for better or worse, make complete sense both logistically and financially for a band of their stature.

T.B.

I think this just confirms that they're trying to attract a younger crowd, and by playing college stadiums, they'll become more exposed to younger "potential" fans.

i love the album, but i can't see it being a big enough draw to fill stadiums in the US with the exception of the few big markets (NY, LA, Chi, Boston).

i am fearing a Popmart-style embarrassment.

Heaven forbid they don't play arenas, oh woe is me. I appreciate that some fans are dedicated enough to have more than two private, first row inside the ellipse seiances with Boner, but it comes off as a little selfish with the whinging in this subforum. My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom