SPOILER - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part II - SPOILER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it interesting that a couple of days ago, the band rehearsed an intro with Magnificent, while today they rehearsed it with Breathe. I wonder if they were the same intro or different. Could be a sign the band are yet to settle on an opener, or that they intend to use two openers in rotation, or if they are different intros, one could open the main set and one the encore.

I've always thought Breathe would be the best opener. Larry could extend the rumbling drum intro as the band takes the stage. Just have it get louder and louder and louder untill the stadium is shaking and then BOOM! the guitars kick in and lights explode. EPIC opener in my mind at least.

I've always thought Breathe would be the best opener. Larry could extend the rumbling drum intro as the band takes the stage. Just have it get louder and louder and louder untill the stadium is shaking and then BOOM! the guitars kick in and lights explode. EPIC opener in my mind at least.

I have thought the same thing as well. I can't think of a better opener from the new album than "Breathe."

truthfully i dont blame them.

saying africa shit and so forth is not appropriate to say but we are buying tickets to see a rock concert, not a lecture. i support the one campaign and everything and even wearing a ONE bracelet now, but come on bono stop the speeches and sing.

have to agree. fully support it, but can't we just give it a break.

Agree 100%:up:

10 Minutes of Larry Mullen Jr. :love:n drums

Old School

LOL

Which tour was full of acoustic SBS's? Was it Pop or Elevation?

Popmart had Edge's solo SBS. I wouldn't call it acoustic - it was on an electric guitar after all! It just lacked the rest of the band.

See, I agree with your points about the intro - shame the rest of the song doesn't really hold up as a strong opener.

But then maybe I'm just saying that because I think it's one of the weakest songs on NLOTH. I reckon Fez-Being Born is the most ideal opener, but that's never going to happen, so I'd settle gladly for Magnificent or NLOTH.

I don't know about Breathe as an opener. As rocking as that could be, 75% of the audience would hurt themselves trying to jump around to 6/8. :D

U2 usually sticks to 4 on the floor to get a crowd jumping.

Acoustic SBS... I can't decide if that's good (shorter SBS?) or bad (half-assed SBS?).

Acoustic SBS... I can't decide if that's good (shorter SBS?) or bad (half-assed SBS?).

U2 have never been good at acoustic things, but I'm feeling positive and thinking that at least it's a re-invention. At least they're trying to give it a new live interpretation?

So the day after massive breaches in rehearsal security hit the net, U2 lowers the boom and clamps down security tight, allows no view of the stage today and turns down so low that anything approaching a beach clip isn't even possible...yet somehow, just somehow, security is able to smuggle several setlists out for fans. Two possibilities here: U2 is deliberately fucking with us and feeding us fake setlists to keep us dangling, or a security guard is getting the boot tomorrow, cause U2 has clearly been reading this or eastlinks thread :up: :lol:

G.Vox. aka Doubting Thomas

:wink:

Disclaimer: the opinions above are only meant in half-jest and should not be interpreted to be indicative that the poster alleges impropriety, fraud, lies, mental imbalance or any other such malady on the part of the kind folks in Spain or the good people of Interference. The poster assumes no liability for any distress upset or feelings of anger or hatred that may arise as a result of you reading these views, and should the above views cause one any of the above or any other feelings of irrational proportion, it is strongly urged that the reader seek the opinion of a licensed medical practitioner.

So the day after massive breaches in rehearsal security hit the net, U2 lowers the boom and clamps down security tight, allows no view of the stage today and turns down so low that anything approaching a beach clip isn't even possible...yet somehow, just somehow, security is able to smuggle several setlists out for fans. Two possibilities here: U2 is deliberately fucking with us and feeding us fake setlists to keep us dangling, or a security guard is getting the boot tomorrow, cause U2 has clearly been reading this or eastlinks thread :up: :lol:

:wink:

Disclaimer: the opinions above are only meant in half-jest and should not be interpreted to be indicative that the poster alleges impropriety, fraud, lies, mental imbalance or any other such malady on the part of the kind folks in Spain or the good people of Interference. The poster assumes no liability for any distress upset or feelings of anger or hatred that may arise as a result of you reading these views, and should the above views cause one any of the above or any other feelings of irrational proportion, it is strongly urged that the reader seek the opinion of a licensed medical practitioner.

:lol:

I like what you're saying, but I think Breathe sounds much more like a classic encore opener. The only problem is it isn't a single. This makes it unlikely for either position in the set.. but you never know. Heck, LAPOE was an opener for several shows last tour. That was kind of surprising.

Magnificent just screams opener... probably will be the best since Zoo Station... or even Streets. :reject:

The only problem is it isn't a single. This makes it unlikely for either position in the set.. but you never know.

Not being a single makes something unlikely to open either the main set or encore? Not true at all. Just to take Vertigo as an example, LAPOE opened nine shows; COBL opened shows before it became a single; non-singles such as Zoo Station, UTEOTW, and The First Time opened encores. On Elevation, the non-single Bullet was the encore opener. On Popmart, Mofo was the opener for a long time before it became a single; Zoo Station opened ZooTV; Lovetown had non-single openers such as Bullet, Hawkmoon 269, and God Part II, etc.

Not being a single makes something unlikely to open either the main set or encore? Not true at all. Just to take Vertigo as an example, LAPOE opened nine shows; COBL opened shows before it became a single; non-singles such as Zoo Station, UTEOTW, and The First Time opened encores. On Elevation, the non-single Bullet was the encore opener. On Popmart, Mofo was the opener for a long time before it became a single; Zoo Station opened ZooTV; Lovetown had non-single openers such as Bullet, Hawkmoon 269, and God Part II, etc.

It's much more common than I first thought.. in fact I immediately thought of LAPOE as soon as I posted, so had a minor edit.

Is Streets another one that wasn't a single yet before the tour?

It's much more common than I first thought.. in fact I immediately thought of LAPOE as soon as I posted, so had a minor edit.

Is Streets another one that wasn't a single yet before the tour?

Not to mention the times when Stand By Me opened shows on JT and Lovetown.

OK...I've missed everything since the early parts of today's rehersals due to my brother's graduation from High School and subsequent partying...

Anyone wanna fill me in? :beer:

I think the songs least likely to be openers are MOS, SUC, WAS, F-BB, and COL

Most likely, imo, would be either Magnificent, or GOYB. Even more than NLOTH. But it wouldn't surprise me if they chose NLOTH.

believe or not but I know at least 6 different with setlist papers. 4 yesterday, 2 today. i guess tomorrow we'll see new scans of them (these spanish.... even agree to print same setlist with same aspect to fool interference users... bastards)

The volume was lowered because the massive complains of neighbors, not because of the surprise effect. Many fans in the city didn't expect any rehearsals at all as neighbors usually complain and this is not a common concert area (yes we have football matches but only three or four concerts in the last 20 years)

According to many sources from crew and security, what they want to keep is the wow factor about visuals and some stage details, like the microphone (we saw milions of pictures of the Claw but the picture with microphone was a single "leaked" one)

I am sure they let the people see the massive stage with the stadium tour last week in order to encourage and bump the sales of the second show and sold it out.

Somebody from crew mentioned something about Blackberry surprises (Bono mentioned something about that too few months ago) which have been totally unveiled until now (maybe is what that space chat crap is?)

Don't mean to be rude, but:

Summer 2008, almost no person knows that Bono is in his house at the beach in france when he play the unreleased album. Fans outside recorded it.

Summer 2009, almost every person know thay U2 is in the stadium and do rehearsals, almost no one have recorded it.

Isnt is strange? I realy hope that they open the next tour in a country where people know how to use their camera and cellphones...

^ :lol:

I totally undertand that U2 is upset about the massive coverage of the rehearsals, they want to keep it kinda secret for the start of the tour, I think it must be pretty distracting to have all these people around, media, fans recording stuff, setlists making the round, all these discussions etc, when they're just in the rehearsal phase.

And as for accoustic SBS: I'd love that! Maybe Edge will sing it again? Unlike many people here, I wouldn't want to miss accoustic U2 and think they should have an accoustic mini-set again this tour.

I would love to see them open with NLOTH or Fez-Being Born, but any other song from the new album is also fine for me. They had different openers on the Vertigo tour so I guess they're trying different openers now as well.

Unlike many people here, I wouldn't want to miss accoustic U2 and think they should have an accoustic mini-set again this tour.

You are not alone. These acoustic or semi-acoustic sets have always been a highlight of U2-concerts for me since '92. Not only because of the possibility, to experience tunes played in a re-invented way with more depth & intensity – but simply also because of more variety and flexibility in setlists ...

Three examples:

1. The pure joy of the party in the middle of the audience, that was "Angel Of Harlem" (1992):
YouTube - Angel of Harlem-Dancing Queen

2. Take the story-telling of "The First Time" (2006), a rarity played for the first time ever in its full glory:
YouTube - U2 The First Time Melbourne 2006-11-19

3. Take the spooky, stripped-down version of "Please" (2001), so appropriate in the time and still breath-taking
YouTube - U2 - Please acoustic (live from Elevation Miami)

..., so, to return to the topic, I really would like to hear a 'new' version of SBS. At least I'd prefer a stripped down acoustic version to the IMO much too perfunctory mass crowd pleaser it has become in '05/'06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom