Should old prop members get extra pre sale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellow moog

War Child
I know this is going to get a lot of flames but for Vertigo, old propaganda members got an extra pre sale code.
I don't think it will happen this time and believe me i'm grateful for the chance at any but how do people feel about giving old prop members (member since U2 world service in 84) an extra code?
Just curious/:up::down::hmm:

The extra code for Prop members was cause of a major F up during leg 1 presales, so I doubt there'll be any props given to Prop members assuming everything goes smoothly with the presales.

eh??? what F up?? I know we had the whole fiasco of getting to the purchase tickets screen and getting timeouts that had to be resolved but i didnt think that was exclusive to the propaganda pre sale code.

eh??? what F up?? I know we had the whole fiasco of getting to the purchase tickets screen and getting timeouts that had to be resolved but i didnt think that was exclusive to the propaganda pre sale code.
There was no preference given to Propo members and most got shut out of GA's and even good reserved seats on leg 1 as lots of scalpers signed up and jammed the presales. Larry wrote a "strongly worded letter" and codes for leg 3 were issued to former Prop subscribers as a way to make amends.

ah I remember now. I do remeber when I got to use the code later it was a breeze by then. So that's why I forgot.

No, I don't think it really matters. I don't think U2 owes anyone anything. I saw ten shows last tour with no help from pre-sales or anything like that (and 9 of these were arena shows). Personally, I wish they would just have a general sale and forget all this confusing/expensive membership/pre-sale stuff.

I know this is going to get a lot of flames but for Vertigo, old propaganda members got an extra pre sale code.
I don't think it will happen this time and believe me i'm grateful for the chance at any but how do people feel about giving old prop members (member since U2 world service in 84) an extra code?
Just curious/:up::down::hmm:

In short, no. Much as I respect those who have been loyal fans for far longer than I have, I think that u2.com is 'now' and for good; we're stuck with it. Propaganda is a thing of the past and the new tiering system announced today seems pretty fair to me. U2's management have drawn their line in the sand and now we all know where we stand. In other words, keep up with u2.com subscriptions or else.

As an "old" Propaganda member (I'm hoping for another Melon CD this tour) and a paid U2.com since, NO! I don't know why Prop members should get anything more. It's U2's old fan club, why would there be benefits to being a member of a defunct group? If you want to be a paid member of the herd of sheep, join and stayed joined (tour or no) of U2.com.

Mark

I'm 20, why shouldn't I get as much of a chance as you guys?

Of course not. If the server doesn't break, this is a great way of doing things.

The extra code for Prop members was cause of a major F up during leg 1 presales, so I doubt there'll be any props given to Prop members assuming everything goes smoothly with the presales.

which is EXACTLY why i let my membership lapse. F!@# U2.com!! they can't even get the dates right or the site to not crash, let alone take care of prop fans. i'm over it!

and because of this post....

Been a member since Propaganda and was told that I'm elligible for tickets on the second day.

Something doesn't seem right there.

.....i feel just fine about not keeping up my membership. i knew it was risky not to keep it going just in case they tried to make up for screwing prop members on vertigo.... but common sense about how u2.com operates told me they would still not have their sh@# together and would screw prop members yet again....as is evident from Rafiennes post.

at this point i think i'd rather give my hard earned $$$ to a scalper than u2.com!! why even bother? :shrug:

In short, no. Much as I respect those who have been loyal fans for far longer than I have, I think that u2.com is 'now' and for good; we're stuck with it. Propaganda is a thing of the past and the new tiering system announced today seems pretty fair to me. U2's management have drawn their line in the sand and now we all know where we stand. In other words, keep up with u2.com subscriptions or else.

propaganda members were originally supposed to have special access treatment if rolled into u2.com. never happened. prop BECAME u2.com and it's what we have to deal with if we choose to.

The only reason I bring this up is that , based on the fairly substantial amount of money we spent seeing the band over all these years should be rewarded but I agree, they don't owe us anything. (You can be fairly certain an old prop/world service member has spent a lot of money if they are still a fan!).
It's definitely good to know though that the tiered system is trying to prevent scalpers from getting their hands on the tickets.

The only reason I bring this up is that , based on the fairly substantial amount of money we spent seeing the band over all these years should be rewarded but I agree, they don't owe us anything. (You can be fairly certain an old prop/world service member has spent a lot of money if they are still a fan!).

I don't necessarily agree. I know someone old enough to be my dad who has been a fan since before I was born. He was always a Prop. member but I don't think he's seen a show since JT. I spent a good deal of money on 10 shows last tour and I've never been a Prop. member. Fans come and go, that's just the way it is. I know people a good deal younger than I am now that will likely spend more than I can imagine on this tour, this time around. The U2 camp probably doesn't (and shouldn't) care how much money someone has spent in the past, that doesn't necessarily predict spending habits in the future. In fact I'd wager that the younger fans coming in are the ones who are spending all their money following the band around the country or the continent. Most of the "old school" fans I know haven't seen the band on tour in the past decade. And even if that's not the case, U2 doesn't owe us anything. I'm not a fan based on what breaks I get. I like the band and I will pay to see them live. It's my choice how many times and at what cost. They basically sell out every show in minutes, so why go through all the trouble to make it easier for certain people to get tickets when all the tix will sell?

I agree with Lies. Even though I am so fortunate to (probably) get tix in presale this time, I think everybody should have the same opportunity in purchasing tickets, no matter what time you've been 'this or that member' :blahblah: These days, it seems it's all about the privileges. Not everybody is so fortunate to spend so much money on being paid member or whatever. I think we're all getting a little too hyped up about who gets what. Everyone should have equal chances. Is this going to happen? Nah. But I can still say what I think about the system. Something I strongly disagree with is the big companies buying up so many tickets and then selling them for unfair prices. Reality? Yes. But still :|

The thing about a tiered system deterring scalpers is fine, up to a certain point. Sadly, many scalpers will have maintained multiple memberships since u2.com started, so they'll have a field day whenever the Horizon level presales start.

'Scalpers' can also be fans too, don't forget. Plenty of people will buy 4 tickets, although they may only need 1 or 2 for themselves. The surplus will be scalped to go towards travel / accommodation costs etc. Is that wrong? It's not for me to judge!

Something I strongly disagree with is the big companies buying up so many tickets and then selling them for unfair prices. Reality? Yes. But still :|

That's what truly sucks. The tickets agencies pay off people in a big way to get access to these tickets and we're the ones who lose out.
What gets me is that so much could be avoided by doing so little:
1. For earl's court in 92, they printed our name and post code on the tickets when we bought them. Queued overnight and touts were scared of buying them based on this alone!!!!
2. Glastonbury prevented scalpers COMPLETELY by printing the buyer's photo on the ticket!!!! I think having every ticket with the person's face on is going too far but by having the person who bought the tickets having his ID/photo on the ticket could prevent scalping. As you would have to enter with that person who bought the ticket in order for them to be valid.
It would also allow swapping of tickets as long as you entered with the original buyer so fans could still swap.
The technology is there already, they should have to use it.

Maybe one more tier could of been made where Prop members joined u2.com with their discount and kept up their memberships with no lapses, but for presale access only. No more tixs than anyone else. I think what they have done is fine though. NA presales this time around shouldn't be like leg 1 of Vertigo simply because we're talking about stadiums and not arenas. Even if most of the scalpers were to of maintained their accounts for the last 4 years now (an unrealistic thought, more likely 1/3rd or less), a portion of 10,000 GA is not quite the dogfight as competing a portion of for 2,000 GA during presales.

i've been a member of Propaganda for a long time. I, like most people, didnt renew last two years because i didnt feel it was worth it. why would i want some CD of a DVD i already own. the shirts were ugly as well. they should release better material for fans who pay for membership, especially when the band is on downtime. the funny thing is, that if they releaed a magazine like back on the day I probably would have still been a member. it used to go by the amount of magazines they released....if it took them 3 years to get out the 4 magazines that was still your "yearly subscription".

anyway, i agreee with the poster who said U2 drew their line in the sand. It's obvious they want you to stay a member even in the years U2 are not doing anything.

I was a Prop member -- joined in 96. On Vertigo they did indeed make amends with the Prop members; after the fiasco Larry sent a letter saying that the only solution was to let Prop members go to the head of the queue, and I subsequently got a call from Fanfire confirming my old contact info, followed by an email from Ticketmaster with a number to call for seats. It was a nice gift to the long-time fans. I don't think there's anything like that now; I've kept my membership going over the years, so I think it's great that they've rewarded those of us who have hung in there.

While U2.com has its faults, there has been value over the years -- their coverage of the new album with articles and videos throughout the recording process, as well as access to all videos, the CDs, etc. If you choose not to take advantage of the value they offer, that's not their fault...

I'm generally in favour with those with longest loyalty getting enhanced benefits.

Certainly what they've done today with the A/B/C is something to be applauded :applaud: and I wouldn't feel disappointed if they had put in an A+ group for you long standing grey-haired folks.

I'm generally in favour with those with longest loyalty getting enhanced benefits.

Certainly what they've done today with the A/B/C is something to be applauded :applaud: and I wouldn't feel disappointed if they had put in an A+ group for you long standing grey-haired folks.

haha. the zimmer frame section!!!!! oh gooowd me back!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

The technology is there already, they should have to use it.

I agree with you. Sadly, realising that you can use technologies in more ways usually comes a little late... Still, you're right, they should use it to prevent this unfair situation over and over again!

I'm 20, why shouldn't I get as much of a chance as you guys?

Of course not. If the server doesn't break, this is a great way of doing things.

there is something to be said for those who have been ongoing fans for a long time.

i would have no problem if those who were prop members AND have had ongoing, recurring memberships at u2.com got first dibs, just before the rest of the horizon (myself included) people, then the breathe people, then the boots people, then the rest of yous.

i'd love to see a system like pearl jam does with their 10c and the numbers... but they've been doing that since literally the start of the band, so it would be next to impossible to impliment such a system so late in the game with u2... i mean honestly, who's to say who deserves to get number 1?

i think the current system is (almost) as fair as they could possibly get considering how late into the game they are with this fan club ticketing policy.

The thing about a tiered system deterring scalpers is fine, up to a certain point. Sadly, many scalpers will have maintained multiple memberships since u2.com started, so they'll have a field day whenever the Horizon level presales start.

'Scalpers' can also be fans too, don't forget. Plenty of people will buy 4 tickets, although they may only need 1 or 2 for themselves. The surplus will be scalped to go towards travel / accommodation costs etc. Is that wrong? It's not for me to judge!

i'm sure there will be a small number of actuall fans who will buy tickets for themselves and sell the others on e-bay and the such. wether that's wrong or not, i'd say no, it's not wrong... it's a personal judgement and hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. if that's really the only way for somebody to afford to go, who am i to say it's wrong?

that aside... i would say the number of true scalpers who have kept ongoing u2.com memberships over the past 4 years is very, very small. i'm sure the floodgates have opened lately with those signing up now and being placed in the boots group... so i do feel sorry for those of you who are true fans who are in the boots group, you're gonna have to deal with the scalpers.

but i would think that the effect scalpers will have on those in the first two groups... the horizon and breathe groups... will be minimal and next to non-existant. i'm sure there are a few enterprising souls who kept up on their membership dues... but i'm sure the vast majority allowed their memberships to lapse.

i mean the last time scalpers signed up literally for 100s of accounts... do you really think 100s of accounts were kept open at 40 bucks a pop for 4+ years just on the off chance that there would be another presale opportunity?

Considering there's probably less than a few thousand ex prop members who have also kept up their U2.com membership, we're not talking about taking all the tickets.
But I can guarantee if they do issue another code, then most ex-prop members will use it and U2 can be sure that the majority will go to the fans and not the sclalpers.
Would some ex-prop members scalp them. Probably.
All it would do would be to allow us to have a little bit easier time getting more tickets. Especially when we plan on going to more than a few shows.

Would some ex-prop members scalp them. Probably.

i doubt this. if you are an ex-prop member who no longer keeps us with u2.com or has a subscription, you wouldn't even know what is going on. i doubt they would ever even think to check u2.com just for scalping purposes.

Back
Top Bottom