Should I skip setlist parties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the tour starts in Europe, there is no way in hell that I will be able to keep away from the forums until the fall. Not going to happen, no chance whatsover, the best I'll do is not check anything from the fall leg before my first show. Doubt I'll even be able to do that.

I went to opening night in San Diego and couldn't even resist not looking at what had happened at the rehearsal show in LA. :angry:

Setlist parties sound like mad fun! But I'll be in deepest darkest corners of the Peruvian andes for 4 months of this year, then a backpacker in Europe for another 2 months so I'm gonna miss out on lots of the tour hype round here. :sad:

Seems like they might start in Spain at the end of June. I hadn't really thought of them opening in Europe as a possibility. I was starting to think U2 was into following a formular that has been proven to work. It's nice to think that anything can happen again. I somehow get the feeling that we could all be in for something comepletely new and exciting - aka Zootv. These certainly are exciting times to be a U2 fan. Seeing all the rumours flood in about possible tour dates and locations is like piecing a puzzle together. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

I won't attend a set list party until I've seen them. After that, I'll attend some, they were fun until they stopped being fun.

This of course is null and void if the tour opens overseas. If that occurs, I'll liekly be unable to stay away for that long. We'll see.

You'd BETTER show up at the setlist parties, buster!!! :D

The thought of setlist parties makes me deliriously happy. :hyper: I work four nights a week until 9-10 pm EST but I WILL show up as much as I can!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

There's no way I want to know what the set list will be before I go to a show. I'll be curious as hell but I'll resist ... I hope!

I've managed this for all the previous tours so far. I'd rather be surprised than have predictions be correct. Gotta avoid the footie scores before watching the highlights.

I'm excited for them, I know I'll be there :hyper: No way I can go to tons of shows so I'll enjoy "live" U2 this way.

live video

i'm curious also about the technology upgrade this time. as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the crappy sounding cell connections, this time should be better. we should be able to take video with various cells and pda's and almost instantly upload them.

I was at almost all the setlist parties last tour...

and was still in shock at the 1st show in Argentina with Fast Cars and Love Is Blindness (I was there... the Santiago and the 2 Buenos Aires shows)

and I PROMISE, that when they play in Chile, I'll text out the songs, unlike last time when no one had any clue of anything, except us in the stadium... sorry for that, guys =(

Setlist Parties :love:

I'm gonna wait till I see their tour schedule, so I can decide whether it's gonna be too long between the start of the tour and when I see them.

To the original post: With the Vertigo tour I did just what you are suggesting. And let me tell you, it's MUCH harder than holding out for the album until release date. But I really wanted to be 100% surprised with the tour and I was so glad that I did it. I had no idea what to expect with the setlist, the stage, anything.

It was awesome and I plan to do it again...hopefully my local show is early on the tour like it was last time or it's going to be a pretty painful wait!

We find someone who's going to the show (or some other source, including live feeds) and they relay the setlist information to us, which we keep track of. While we wait, we discuss whatever the fuck we want to discuss.

It's an Interference tradition.

It's an interesting phenomenon, those setlist parties, because worlds collide. The Superthread crowd will be there, the PLEBAns will be there, all of the crazies here in EYKIW/WTAHAN will be there...and all for one common purpose; to find out if the setlist was unusual or not.

Wasn't around for the Vertigo setlist parties. Could not be more excited. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Superthread crowd?

I still remember your awesome Blackberry with fondness :)

:drool:

with all of the technology advances (I really :heart: my iPhone) I think the setlist parties will have a better stream if not real time pictures/clips
case in point all of this plus a picture of me sent here from the iPhone :)

louieb003-1.jpg

:wave:

Wasn't around for the Vertigo setlist parties. Could not be more excited. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Superthread crowd?

A bunch of smart-arse EYKIW posters and their friends who pranked the forum with a fake U2 setlist party from the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein this time last year and then went into exile into a chat thread.

(The Superthread is responsible for roughly two thirds of my posts. I wrote most of the fake setlist.)

I avoided set lists and detailed reviews for the Vertigo tour. I was only seeing one show and was looking forward to being surprised.

Unfortunately...the gentleman standing next to me before the show started kept telling his friends what songs they will do and things Bono does during certain songs and all sorts of details. So much for being surprised. :sigh:

I went to setlist parties and listened to bootlegs of shows. Didn't ruin the experience for me one bit. :) If anything, it gave me an idea of what I had to look forward to, since I had to wait 9 months from when I purchased the tickets to the date I saw U2.

Hopefully I will resist the temptation and avoid setlists and pictures of the stage set up as although the Vertigo show I saw at Manchester was amazing nothing can beat the thrill I got from seeing the zoo tv tour set up at Roundhay park in Leeds,hopefully if rumours are to believed this tour is going to be pretty special and I just don't want to spoil it.

A bunch of smart-arse EYKIW posters and their friends who pranked the forum with a fake U2 setlist party from the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein this time last year and then went into exile into a chat thread.

(The Superthread is responsible for roughly two thirds of my posts. I wrote most of the fake setlist.)
Thanks for the explanation!

I avoided set lists and detailed reviews for the Vertigo tour. I was only seeing one show and was looking forward to being surprised.

Unfortunately...the gentleman standing next to me before the show started kept telling his friends what songs they will do and things Bono does during certain songs and all sorts of details. So much for being surprised. :sigh:
OUCH. That must have been like avoiding all the beach clips and the NLOTH leak, only to have someone play it while you're waiting in line at the record store at midnight...
I feel for you, Bonochick. :hug:

Hopefully I will resist the temptation and avoid setlists and pictures of the stage set up as although the Vertigo show I saw at Manchester was amazing nothing can beat the thrill I got from seeing the zoo tv tour set up at Roundhay park in Leeds,hopefully if rumours are to believed this tour is going to be pretty special and I just don't want to spoil it.
Personally, I'm going to be looking at/listening to/reading all the tour info I can get my hands on. There's a big difference between watching a crap-quality YouTube video of a concert and actually being there, so I don't think it'll ruin it for me.
I admire your restraint, though. :hi5:

Personally, I'm going to be looking at/listening to/reading all the tour info I can get my hands on. There's a big difference between watching a crap-quality YouTube video of a concert and actually being there, so I don't think it'll ruin it for me.
I admire your restraint, though. :hi5:
By the way I say this before any gig I go to:wink:,Although if there was a set list only thread with no pics I would settle for that as I do like to know which songs the band will be playing so I can try to remember the lyrics as I love having a good singalong:D

Back
Top Bottom