setup new tour: fewer cities, bigger stage setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
I didn't know where to fit this topic (not in the US Tour topic...), and maybe there is a discussion about this already somewhere else, but i cannot find it.

I was thinking of Bono's quote in Q magazine "say that what we've planned for outdoors has never been done before and that we've been working on it for a long time. It's a feat of engineering genius."
I also had to think about the news last year (if I recall well) that the band suggested that they might visit fewer cities, longer concdert-runs...

Could this suggest we will get something huge innovative in terms of stage/light design? I know that there is always a limitation in what is possible for stages etc, just because of the fact that it travels around and not a lot of time can be spend in building up stage, etc. Thats why stage-setups of artists that stay in one location and do a multi-concert-runs are sometimes much bigger....

Whats your opinion?

What i want to know is what do people think U2 have planned which is supposed to be a feat of genuis for the tour?

please post your ideas as to what you think the feat of genuis could be!

I do get the feeling of big stadiums based on that statement. The last two tours with US arenas I think they were trying for back to basics more intimate feel. Where maybe they will try and conquer where pop left off. Reclaim the large venue. I could see them playing it safe and starting in arenas with plans for bigger venues on further legs of the tour... but who know. Expect the unexpected!

Transmitting live from the venue to bars etc? Wasn't that one of the questions in that U.S. only Live Nation e-mail qith questions that was sent out way back?

Or that Holosonic Audio Spotlight technology. That sounded pretty awesome.

To save energy, U2 will play one show in Croke Park and send the show (including the stage) via hologram to a hundred or so other stadiums around the world, and Axver's backyard. Like CNN.

Transmitting live from the venue to bars etc? Wasn't that one of the questions in that U.S. only Live Nation e-mail qith questions that was sent out way back?

Thats what i reckon it could be that Holosonic Audio Spotlight techonlogy

I really hope it is nothing like Marco Borsato flying over the audience. That would be awfull.

Like i said in another topic, I will be afraid if they do this:
And there is some basis for my worries, since a delegation of the U2 crew visited the show of this guy to watch some technique that hasn't been used before:

YouTube - Marco Borsato Live (Wit licht) Gelredome 10-10-2008

Furthermore, in several Dutch newspapers there were comments that teh crew was especially interested in the 3D build up of stage/videowalls...

U2 needs to imitate the 08 Olympics' opening ceremony, with the guy with the torch flying around the stadium. That can be Edge, on fire, playing The Fly, with the computer spitting out flyisms like made onto the 360-degree screen behind him.

One cheese idea I had that i though would be cool element but could not be done because of how impractical it is in several ways. With that said....

I remember ( i think ) an Olympics opening event decade plus years back where they gave everyone in the stadium a flash light... and when everyone turned them on it looked really cool.

My thought would be to have a small hand held 3 color LED light that is remote controlled by the lighting/control booth. When it goes on,off or what color is controlled by stage crew. So what ever color/blinking pattern would match the lighting used on the stage. in effect making the arena apart of the stage.

But of course the cost vs the waste to create these as most people would probably keep or toss them. Not to mention probably feel the need to throw them.

But if Live Nations is reading this and is up for it...PM me ;)

My opinion? Well since they didn't successfully dismantle an atomic bomb last time around maybe this tour they are going to try and live up to the album hype for real. Im thinking if "Bomno" & company are truly going to do something thats never been done before, they are going to turn the arena/stadium into a mind bending roller coaster. The band will play upside down, proving there is no gravity on the horizon either, and the audience will be inverted as well since there is no barrier between the performers and the crowd, hence No Line.

One cheese idea I had that i though would be cool element but could not be done because of how impractical it is in several ways. With that said....

I remember ( i think ) an Olympics opening event decade plus years back where they gave everyone in the stadium a flash light... and when everyone turned them on it looked really cool.

My thought would be to have a small hand held 3 color LED light that is remote controlled by the lighting/control booth. When it goes on,off or what color is controlled by stage crew. So what ever color/blinking pattern would match the lighting used on the stage. in effect making the arena apart of the stage.

But of course the cost vs the waste to create these as most people would probably keep or toss them. Not to mention probably feel the need to throw them.

But if Live Nations is reading this and is up for it...PM me ;)

There was actually rumor of something like this around the Popmart tour. Something like everyone was handed a hat with lights and Bono could control the lights with his movements... Obviously it didn't pan out...

My opinion? Well since they didn't successfully dismantle an atomic bomb last time around maybe this tour they are going to try and live up to the album hype for real. Im thinking if "Bomno" & company are truly going to do something thats never been done before, they are going to turn the arena/stadium into a mind bending roller coaster. The band will play upside down, proving there is no gravity on the horizon either, and the audience will be inverted as well since there is no barrier between the performers and the crowd, hence No Line.

Just stay away from the bathrooms during that part of the show! :ohmy:

How 'bout giving out polarized glasses and having the massive video screen be in full 3D?The band has experimented with 3D before, after all. :wink:

I've always assumed it's the audio spotlight, since they've been working on that for ages.

Either that, or the big inflatable lotto balls, bouncing over the crowd, illuminated from the inside, for "Playboy Mansion." Or did that idea stay on the PopMart cutting room floor? (true story -- the band strongly considered actually doing that!) :wink:

U2 needs to imitate the 08 Olympics' opening ceremony, with the guy with the torch flying around the stadium. That can be Edge, on fire, playing The Fly, with the computer spitting out flyisms like made onto the 360-degree screen behind him.

Did you know that the 08 olympics opening ceremony and U2s last 3 Tours were designed by the same company?

Here is a nice link that also shows concept drawings of the Vertigo Tour:

Stufish | Mark Fisher Studio | Concerts |U2 | Vertigo Outdoor | 2005

There was actually rumor of something like this around the Popmart tour. Something like everyone was handed a hat with lights and Bono could control the lights with his movements... Obviously it didn't pan out...

wasn't that something to do with bingo balls...? deep in the recesses of my mind I remember something about that ... i think..

I really hope it is nothing like Marco Borsato flying over the audience. That would be awfull.

LOL. I can already see Edge donning a Spider-Man beanie for Bono's nightly jet-pack ride.
spidey_with_stupid.gif

Back
Top Bottom