Rumor? Queen + Paul Rodgers & U2 To Tour 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I ask a question?

I was just on another thread about Brian Eno's philosophy on singing and I said that I prefer voices than singing technique. Although I think Freddie had a great voice, I still prefer Bono's, Sting's, Peter Gabriel's , Liam Gallagher's and Elvis voice to Freddie's. To me I don't think any rock singer will ever beat Elvis IMO. I find it annoying when I hear people say Freddie was the best ever and if you disagree you are automatically shot down. Is it ok for me to say that I prefer Bono's voice to Freddie's?

U2 is going to perform all of Queen II from start to finish, and Queen is going to perform Passengers, featuring a badass classic rock reworking of Ito Okashi.

That would actually be pretty fucking amazing. Imagine hearing a U2-ified version of The March of the Black Queen...

I'd hate if they didn't have an opener;opening bands are a nice way to hear some new music and sometimes opening bands are well worth seeing

This is all well and good in Europe where you have actual good bands opening up for them, in North America we tend to get really terrible opening acts...

hmm, some noisy emo band that is only there thanks to label obligations or going home 45 minutes early :hmm:

I dunno, I think it would be singularly appropriate

Two fading rock dinosaurs, reliving past glories...

Can I ask a question?

I was just on another thread about Brian Eno's philosophy on singing and I said that I prefer voices than singing technique. Although I think Freddie had a great voice, I still prefer Bono's, Sting's, Peter Gabriel's , Liam Gallagher's and Elvis voice to Freddie's. To me I don't think any rock singer will ever beat Elvis IMO. I find it annoying when I hear people say Freddie was the best ever and if you disagree you are automatically shot down. Is it ok for me to say that I prefer Bono's voice to Freddie's?

It's ok to have a preference....my favourite rock voice ever is Bowie's, but I wouldn't say he's a better singer than Freddie or Bono for that matter. Kicks Thom Yorkes every which way, but I like Radiohead:shrug: horses for courses.

I prefer Bowie's voice to Freddie's as well, and also agree with what you say about Thom York as well. What do you think of Liam's voice? The reason why I ask is because a few years ago I came across Radiohead's version of Wonderwall and I don't think he had the quality as Liam did. I admit I don't know much about singing technique and maybe Thom has a higher range than Liam's, but his voice really didn't suit that song. I thought the same when I heard Billy Corgan doing a cover of Stay, although I think he's voice does suit his own stuff. I prefer the heavier qualities of Liam's and Bono's to the more delicate qualities of York's, Corgan's and Chris Martin. I didn't like Keane's version of WOWY for the same reason.

Oh well.... I suppose if U2 or Oasis ever did a cover of Paranoid Android (my favourite Radiohead song), I may think that their voices are to heavy for that song.

I prefer Bowie's voice to Freddie's as well, and also agree with what you say about Thom York as well. What do you think of Liam's voice? The reason why I ask is because a few years ago I came across Radiohead's version of Wonderwall and I don't think he had the quality as Liam did. I admit I don't know much about singing technique and maybe Thom has a higher range than Liam's, but his voice really didn't suit that song. I thought the same when I heard Billy Corgan doing a cover of Stay, although I think he's voice does suit his own stuff. I prefer the heavier qualities of Liam's and Bono's to the more delicate qualities of York's, Corgan's and Chris Martin. I didn't like Keane's version of WOWY for the same reason.

Oh well.... I suppose if U2 or Oasis ever did a cover of Paranoid Android (my favourite Radiohead song), I may think that their voices are to heavy for that song.

If I might add my two coins....

....when a great song is done by a singer with a pretty distinct voice its tough to cover even if its by a fantastic singer. Thats because part of the reason why the song is generally so good and memorable has to do with the vocal. Thats why I think its really tough for other artists trying to cover U2 and conversely why its tough for U2 to try to cover other artists with distinct singing voices.

In the end, the original song beats the cover about 99% in those cases.

Seriously, I get annoyed every time I see this thread bolded (meaning there's a new post).

Although I guess I just did the same thing.

U2 is opening for Clay Aiken next year.

I totally heard this on the internet, guys. And from the little monster that lives in my sock drawer.

All my records are in my sock drawer LOL.
Or is that little monster the wee man who runs the AC in the car from behind the dashboard and between the engine firewall?

Back
Top Bottom