Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unicorn, i can guarantee that there will be many webstream rips of this available for download within 48 hours of the show, just like the Scheffield gig.

It's probably better this way. I mean now those who hate those crappy US audiences won't suffer the torture of having to watch a complete live show filmed here. Seriously, you all should be jumping for joy. :)

:lol:

It's probably better this way. I mean now those who hate those crappy US audiences won't suffer the torture of having to watch a complete live show filmed here. Seriously, you all should be jumping for joy. :)

It's not like any of us would get up at 4.30 in the morning to watch a U2 gig. :wink:

I'll sleep for joy, is that okay too?

this whole "european crowds are sooooo much better than american crowds" is so incredibly over-stated.

are european crowds, on average, more "into it" and not just "there for the hits"? Are they more active and interactive and jumping up and down and all that stuff?

sure... on average, there is probably some truth to that.

but a huge gap? no. again, it's about where you are... i've read some reviews by people who were at the exact same show that i was at who complain about how bad the crowd was, while i felt the crowd was amazing. why? different sections... that person unfortunatly got stuck with a bunch of fogies who sit down at a rock show. it happens, we've all been there.

shit... look at this video. this is DUBLIN... ground zero of all things U2. you can actually see the crowd at the side of the stage sitting down before the first song even fully begins. that dude in the second row in the orange pastel polo, standing with his arms crossed just screams rock and roll :rockon:

YouTube - U2 Dublin 2009-07-24 Intro / Breathe

frankly i think cell phones and digital cameras are a bigger "downer" on crowd participation than anything geographical. instead of going nuts when a band member comes close to you, now you whip out your iPhone and try to get a picture so you can show off to someone how close you were.

frankly i think cell phones and digital cameras are a bigger "downer" on crowd participation than anything geographical. instead of going nuts when a band member comes close to you, now you whip out your iPhone and try to get a picture so you can show off to someone how close you were.

Well said, I know we all love this youtube footage and somebody has to film it, but I took no cameras or recording devices to my shows and i enjoyed it so much more than on Vertigo where I took 100's of photos and loads of video.
I actually couldn't believe however, how many people watched the entire gig through a viewfinder or 3" LCD screen. It's almost like showing their mates down the pub how close they were to Bono is more important than experiencing the "now"!

I feel uncomfortable opening this debate up because I absolutely take my hat off to the tapers and filmers on this tour that have ensured that almost every second of every show has been documented.

It is quite depressing to see 100's of fans in the pit holding cameras up though.... Dunno what the answer is...

this whole "european crowds are sooooo much better than american crowds" is so incredibly over-stated

I really don't get it from either side - though granted, I haven't been to a U2 show in North America or Europe. I suppose I just don't see how there can be that big a divide and difference between two things that are pretty much the same. Surely in a single audience, you'll have sections which are relatively quiet, and others which are rAiSiNg ThE rOoF, no matter which city, country, continent you're in.

Anyway, I had doubts I'd be able to see this live, but I got a new internet connection which is slightly more competent than the old one, so I got some high hopes.

i'd say my biggest concern with this webcast is whether or not it will actually work. U2.com has a history of not being able to handle the masses.

i'd say my biggest concern with this webcast is whether or not it will actually work. U2.com has a history of not being able to handle the masses.

Well, it isn't U2.com doing the live webcast, but YouTube. If that's any consolation.

I think it'll work - it's youtube's servers that are being used.

Will those repeated streams only work in the same countries as the original broadcast on Youtube ? Or will that be watchable from anywhere ?

u2tour.de says due to legal reasons they cannot show any stream of the concert in countries like Germany or Austria, not live and not on demand later on. :doh:

Well, it isn't U2.com doing the live webcast, but YouTube. If that's any consolation.

If it doesn't work, in keeping with the Norman setlist party theme, it shall hereafter be known as YouBoob :D

My question is about the audio quality of this webcast. Hope it´s good enough to have another professionally brodcasted concert available next Monday, apart from the Sheffield one. I am not big fan of videos, so I am really interested on the audio files. Also, I´d like the boys to keep the setlist as they have played the last two or three shows, with IN A LITTLE WHILE and UNTIL THE END.... YOUR BLUE ROOM would be great too.

let´s wait till Monday...
regards

It's probably already been said I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, but as someone who has lived in the area for a long time, SoCal crowds just pretty much suck, even by American standards.

I just hope the direction/editing is better. While I thought the Elevation DVD was great, only because it was presented in such a different format compared to the previous DVDs.

But i still think PopMart was the best. I like seeing the band play, i like being able to watch Edge play a guitar part, and then copy it on my own.

What i don't want to see is 3 thousand clips in a second that really show me nothing. it does capture a certain energy, but i want my mind to absorb what the band are doing, and in that, i can capture what energy the band want me to feel.

the only downside I can see about a crap crowd is the band not performing as well...

other than that, who watches concert DVDs for the crowd?

Watching a band have a great interaction with an 'up' crowd adds to the interest and entertainment value.

I hope I'm wrong, but LA from my experience as a Socal concertgoer of many years is not the best place to capture that.

But, but You have to admit... Slane Castle -> Where the Streets Have no Name

See the crowd reaction:drool: It made the performance even more epic, at least for me :love:

YouTube handled the live stream of Barack Obama's health care speech to Congress...I'm pretty sure they can pull off a U2 concert stream :)

Crowd is a big part of the concert, thats what they play for in the first place.
Of course its important.

the only downside I can see about a crap crowd is the band not performing as well...

other than that, who watches concert DVDs for the crowd?

Point 1 is correct. If the crowd is good, the band respond to this. And vice versa.

And i have to say....i do like to see clips of the crowd going having fun on my u2 DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom