Rolling Stone: U2 to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there any properly-sized stadiums in San Antonio other than the Alamodome? That would probably be their only option in Austin/San Antonio, unless there's another one in SA that I don't know about, or they want to be stupid and play in Royal Memorial.

If they are only playing 25 shows in North America (with large markets likely getting at least 2 shows), they probably won't be playing San Antonio since Houston and Dallas will be higher priorities.

So did I. In fact, I've always had great Ticketbastard luck. I'm worried that this LiveNation merger might wreck my ticket mojo :sad:

Meh, I realize a lot of you guys are over 25 and the aspect of being surrounded by 15000 people on the GA floor is unappealing, but the North American fans have been pretty spoiled with two arena tours and it's showing in this thread.

If they can handle stadiums in Europe and The Rest of the World (South America and Australia) without going into a tizzy I think we'll be alright.

Especially since - and correct me if I'm wrong - stadium shows in NA always have seats in the field. As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as GA in North America (except in relatively small venues, like music halls), not even in stadiums. As evidenced by this -

Madonna's Concert in Miami at Dolphin Stadium on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Bruce Springsteen Concert on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think for Springsteen's current tour, there's a GA section in the front of the field with seats behind it. I've never been to an outdoor show that was GA where there were seats, only in theaters and other places where the seats can't be moved.

you need to share that shit with me. I even got shut out during the pre-sale. :(

I felt guilty during the pre-sale when people were posting they got crap seats or were shut out cause I got my San Jose GA easily. :slant:

I'm worried about Live Nation, too. I'm also worried what my school schedule looks like in the fall. :shifty:

For the last tour, I got all my tickets either through Ticketmaster, eBay and Craig's List. All were face value. Whoot.

The only time I paid for scalped tickets was PopMart. I hadn't planned on going because I was very poor, but one of my coworkers bought a pair of 16-row tickets and offered me one. I sold a whole crate full of my CDs to a used shop to help pay for it.

It was totally worth it. :)

I think for Springsteen's current tour, there's a GA section in the front of the field with seats behind it. I've never been to an outdoor show that was GA where there were seats, only in theaters and other places where the seats can't be moved.

That is correct, LiveNation frowns on it at Stadiums. They had a big behind the scenes brawl with McGuiness and U2 management because they were insisting on the U2 GA reasonable pricing policy and LiveNation was having none of it. One of the reasons the Vertigo Tour saw 2 indoor legs of multiple nights in the same cities on many occasions. We dont know exactly what U2 wanted to do, but they definitely at least entertained the option of doing both stadiums and arenas as they did on the JT Tour.

This time, since they have their big contract and ownership stake in livenation, plus the fact that the concert industry is more desperate than they were in 2005/06, U2 has stood up to them big time and said exactly how things will go with regards to stadiums and GA ticket pricing. Thank God they finally did this, as LiveNation needs U2 more than U2 needs livenation, so they were forced to listen. Vertigo was not a matter of LN being able to dictate policy to U2, just U2 not feeling like getting in too much of a fight I think. Also, with the economy this year, the ticket pricing will meet less resistance as LN just wants to see warm bodies in those stadiums. Did anyone catch Bono in recent interviews saying how they were mindful of the recession and going to be doing tiered ticket pricing like never before? As others have said here already, that is much easier to do in stadiums.

I am hoping for 2 nights at Gillette. I can work and get paid to see U2(I have already arranged with my boss to go ONLY to the soundboard, which entails watching the show) one night and then buy a ticket for night 2.

I too am concerned about tickets w/LN, my previous posts on the subject make my opinion clear on that entire company as someone who works for one of their contractors.

This time, since they have their big contract and ownership stake in livenation, plus the fact that the concert industry is more desperate than they were in 2005/06, U2 has stood up to them big time and said exactly how things will go with regards to stadiums and GA ticket pricing.

FYI U2 sold their ownership share in Livenation last week.

Seat loving whiners at the start of this post

I've never been to a U2 show and I was really hoping for an arena tour..Does that mean its better to get GA's rather then seats? And what about the whole weather factor? If its outdoors and it rains??:sad:

Yeah I am not a fan of stadiums. I remember when I saw them on the JT tour it was at a stadium. We waited alllll day in line and ended up getting really smashed in GA even before U2 came on and had to move far back just to breathe. It can be really dangerous, especially in a huge stadium like that. I distinctly remember a girl being carried away on a stretcher. :sigh: Guess I will be getting seats.

I've never been to a stadium show.. GA sounds very iffy, but how is the experience in the seats?

Yeah, but it also means having to line up earlier. It also means outdoor shows in (probably) shitty weather. And it means fewer shows.

Not good news, in my opinion.

Come on folks, this is stadium rock, the crush bounce and thrill of a standing crowd's what it's all about. We Europeans love it and live it. You Americans live far too sheltered lives in your entertainment.

Hey come on, I'm North American, and I will always choose a stadium show over an indoors/arena show anyday (you can't even compare). I am shocked at all my fellow americans for bashing stadiums, I just don't get it. I've been dying for U2 to bring back stadium tours (for some reason POPMART did very poor here) and I agree, live crowds in stadium form is electric - very pumped for this tour!

Ha! How you make me giggle in pitty...

Europeans also think Soccer is an entertaining spectator sport.

Tell me Peter, what the fuck is soccer?

I wonder if you may mean "football," as in the free-flowing game where you kick a ball with your foot, not pick, it up, run with it, fall over, then fuck about for five minutes lining up once you do? Another thing I love about American "football," i.e. rugby for cowards, is the fact that with all your armour padding on, you can flatten some poor fucker who doesn't even have the ball. Very sporting, indeed. Why not just switch over to the wrestling on pay-per-view? D'you really think the Superbowl'd get the viewings it does of it wasn't for Springsteen playing the half-time?

Just remember, as with a lot of things, it's America that's out of step with the rest of the world when it comes to sport. Not the other way around. If any of your sports were any good, don't you think they'd be played elsewhere? Flushing Meadow is your only saving grace.

I wonder if you may mean "football," as in the free-flowing game where you kick a ball with your foot, not pick, it up, run with it, fall over, then fuck about for five minutes lining up once you do? Another thing I love about American "football," i.e. rugby for cowards, is the fact that with all your armour padding on, you can flatten some poor fucker who doesn't even have the ball. Very sporting, indeed. Why not just switch over to the wrestling on pay-per-view? D'you really think the Superbowl'd get the viewings it does of it wasn't for Springsteen playing the half-time?

Just remember, as with a lot of things, it's America that's out of step with the rest of the world when it comes to sport. Not the other way around. If any of your sports were any good, don't you think they'd be played elsewhere? Flushing Meadow is your only saving grace.

:doh:

Oh man.

Wow. You must've had a REALLY bad week!

I could name a few "American Sports" that are played elsewhere but I don't really feel like going down this path.

Oh...and I like stadium concerts, just as long as I can get close enough to the band.

They don't play Baseball or Basketball in other countries? Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up! :up:

Can we keep the football/soccer/american sports sux etc. debate to the sports forum? I know its never been discussed here or anything... :reject:

I'm Canadian, as it says next to every post I make.

So I hear that U2 is going to play stadiums in the U.S. Maybe we could have a thread where we talk about that? That would be neat.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom