Rolling Stone: U2 to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is that it'll a much shorter tour than the last two. It probably does still start in Spain at the end of the June and that leg will run to, say, mid-to-late August. The band takes two/three weeks off and then starts playing stadiums in the US in September. As long as they front-load the schedule with cold-weather cities, they could do it.

There are already rumors that the Chicago and Boston stops, for example, will be in mid-September. Other northern cities with outdoor stadiums (NYC, Philly, maybe Washington, maybe Pittsburgh or Cleveland) will have to get played in the first few weeks of the tour. When the nights start to get colder in October, the band will need to head south and west or to cold-weather cities (like say, Detroit or Toronto) that have domes.

Because they're playing stadiums, I think there will be far fewer dates this go around, at least for now. I think an interesting question is whether U2 thinks it can sell 50,000 - 60,000 tickets in cities that, during Elevation and Vertigo, only got one or two arena shows (meaning they sold somewhere between 15,000 - 35,000 seats) . For example, can they really fill a stadium in Indianapolis right now in this economy?

I guess it depends what they're trying do on this tour. They really could just play the stadiums in the major cities (hasn't there been chatter that U2 didn't want to be on the road as much this time around?) or, if they are trying to get to as many cities as possible, it could mean the band will make another swing in 2010, maybe in an arena format designed to hit these secondary markets (with a few additional NYC/Boston/Chicago dates thrown in, no doubt).

I think you are right on with this.

Being from Minneapolis, I'd love to see U2 be the lead off concert for our new university football stadium.
TCF Bank Stadium
But, I highly doubt it. We are a secondary market (although we are a bigger market than Denver and San Diego and deserve 2 arena shows!!! AHemmm!!!), and IF we get U2 this Fall, it'll probably be in the Metrodome.

Realistically, we probably won't get U2 until 2010 and then it will most likely be an arena show. (although in 2010 we have yet another stadium opening---the new MN Twins outdoor ballpark---which would be awesome for a concert)

So, we'll see what the tour looks like, and I'll continue saving to hit Chicago or Las Vegas this Fall.

Mark

:hug:

My first U2 show was at a stadium. My little 15 year old self was just so ecstatic to be in the same place as the band that it didn't really matter where we were. :lol: We were down on the floor and not close to the main stage, but we weren't terribly far from the b-stage.

Really though, just being there is so amazing. I hope that if you don't get close that you won't let that put a damper on the experience. I've already heard of people who skipped going to shows (not just U2) because their seats were bad. Isn't a "bad" seat better than no seat???? :doh:

Ditto! :up: No "bad" seats. Just no "preferred" seats I guess.

By the time they actually get here, I'll be 15 and a half and just to be there will be extremely exciting!! :D :hyper: My first show. :cute:

My worst concert experience and funniest was the Rolling Stones at Reliant in 2003 or 02. It was in freezing early Feb. & we had seats on the upper level facing the stage.....2nd to last row. The lights went off, Brown Sugar opened, & Mick was in a gold jacket. It looked like a shiny penny dancing/singing :lol:

I can just see that. :lmao:

We New Englanders have Gillette Stadium. Now, Gillette doesn't seem all that bad. If you get seats eye level to the band, that would be great. Even if you're the farthest away, it's not all that bad. :shrug:

Well, I'm happy that you're happy with it, but on a technical level, Gillette will be one of the worst venues on the tour for spectators in the upper deck. If U2 was concerned about their fans, the best venue in the Boston area would be the football stadium at Boston College.

Alumni Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a bad seat in the house. If they're going in-the-round, they can still get 50,000 per show.

I got burned on stadiums by PopMart -- they CANCELLED the whole concert here in Raleigh, NC, because the big arse LED monitor got busted or hit by lightning or something. So I'm not exactly thrilled by this news. :sigh:

Of course I'll go to as many concerts as possible, though. :wink:

Well, I'm happy that you're happy with it, but on a technical level, Gillette will be one of the worst venues on the tour for spectators in the upper deck. If U2 was concerned about their fans, the best venue in the Boston area would be the football stadium at Boston College.

Alumni Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a bad seat in the house. If they're going in-the-round, they can still get 50,000 per show.

True. :hmm:

My worst concert experience and funniest was the Rolling Stones at Reliant in 2003 or 02. It was in freezing early Feb. & we had seats on the upper level facing the stage.....2nd to last row. The lights went off, Brown Sugar opened, & Mick was in a gold jacket. It looked like a shiny penny dancing/singing :lol:

:lmao: :heart:

That reminds me of what a friend of mine once said...

"I just saw The Stones this summer in Chicago. I figure heaven will be a lot like that, except I'll be sitting closer."

Bonochick whats funny is...Ryan Adams opened up for them that show. My group missed him (we wanted to go) because we were drinking $2 24ounce Coronas from around 4PM to 8:30PM at a bar.

I've never been to a stadium show.. GA sounds very iffy, but how is the experience in the seats?

it's fine- no problem at all in GA- I had a bad GA experience on Zooropa but it's very different now- we did GA for all the UK shows on the last tour and it was fine.

Whatever U2 might like to think about younger fans on the last tour alot of the audience were in their early 30's- 40 somethings- and people in that age group are less- not sure what word to use- aggressive in a GA experience- particuarly with U2 even in the GC at Croke we had plenty of space to move around, jump about and so on

as for seats- well it depends- some folk will sit all the way through a show and that might cause some problems if you don't want to do that

my advice is go GA- really it will be fine- just stand a little further back

Bonochick whats funny is...Ryan Adams opened up for them that show. My group missed him (we wanted to go) because we were drinking $2 24ounce Coronas from around 4PM to 8:30PM at a bar.

Oh, what a bummer. :( I hope those were some good Coronas!! :p

I think you are right on with this.

Being from Minneapolis, I'd love to see U2 be the lead off concert for our new university football stadium.
TCF Bank Stadium
But, I highly doubt it. We are a secondary market (although we are a bigger market than Denver and San Diego and deserve 2 arena shows!!! AHemmm!!!), and IF we get U2 this Fall, it'll probably be in the Metrodome.

Realistically, we probably won't get U2 until 2010 and then it will most likely be an arena show. (although in 2010 we have yet another stadium opening---the new MN Twins outdoor ballpark---which would be awesome for a concert)

So, we'll see what the tour looks like, and I'll continue saving to hit Chicago or Las Vegas this Fall.

Mark

Yeah Minneapolis is where I was planning on seeing them cuz I'm only a 6 hour drive from there. I really hope they do at least one show there:wave:

For SoCal, we have the Coliseum in LA, The Rose Bowl in Pasadena and probably Dodger stadium.
Dammit.

Although, I have seen a concert with the stage is in the middle and it wasn't half bad.
But still, I am slightly dissapointed.

kinda sucks about the stadium decision. just too far away. of those three i guess dodger stadium would be the best. saw them on the zoo tv tour and it was ok. the other two are so big you end up watching the whole show on the video monitor. not to mention the sound delay-echo effect.

So the whole "tour starts in Spain in June" was BS?

I asked Bono about this on February 7th when fans met him at his hotel. I specifially asked if the tour was opening in Barcelona and he said he could not say. I then asked if the US was in the Fall and he said yes.

The next day I asked Paul MacGuinness, as he came out to head to the Grammys, when the tour would be announced and he said in mid March. I asked if it would be stadiums only and he answered yes.

u2tours.com has a rumor that U2 were trying to play Wallace Stadium in Durham, NC (near Raleigh). I researched this stadium, and it's capacity seems to be around 33,000 for football games. However, between U2's schedule and that of Duke University football, they could not find a date that worked.

What's interesting about this is 2 things:

1. It shows U2 are looking into smaller stadiums for smaller metropolitan areas

2. This particular stadium is a horseshoe shape, with no seats on one side. Perfect for an endstage concert, but possibly awkward if U2 are planning on doing an "in-the-round" show.

In Philly we have the Eagles stadium which is Lincoln Financial Field and a lot of satdium concerts happen at Citizen's Bank Park which is where the Phillies play. I saw them at Franklin Field on Popmart which is the UPenn stadium. I only think they played there because the Phillies had a home game that day. It was a Sunday if I remember correctly

I've never been to a stadium show.. GA sounds very iffy, but how is the experience in the seats?

Quite safe in GA - U2 crowds aren't really rowdy any more, the last vestige of that was Zooropa. I was in the front few rows at Twickenham & Glasgow last time round and there was no pushing or anything other than in the very front middle of the stage. Personally I wouldn't bother at all with seats on the sides of a stadium other than as a last resort, far too much money to be a long way away from the stage (I am a ticket snob these days after being far too spoilt in recent years)

Hey crapstable, do you think U2 will play in-the-round reserved-seating shows in US arenas starting in April, or what?

:lol:

I can't decide if I'm sad or psyched. I'd rather have the chance to see them in both arenas and stadia this tour, lol, so I will hold out some hope that the first- stadia-then-arenas scenario might happen, but I've never seen them in a stadium, and that should be cool too, no?!
Probably wouldn't do GA, but I was wondering if I should do GA again even if it were in arenas.
It'll keep in check my impulse to travel a bit for shows, though...I'd find excuses to visit people in various places if I could see them in the local arena, but to visit huge stadium after huge stadium, not so much.
Cheers all!

kinda sucks about the stadium decision. just too far away. of those three i guess dodger stadium would be the best. saw them on the zoo tv tour and it was ok. the other two are so big you end up watching the whole show on the video monitor. not to mention the sound delay-echo effect.

I hope they don't play Dodger Stadium. I saw Zoo TV there too, but the large width of the playing field makes it a poor concert venue. I would contend that the Coliseum is still the best stadium in L.A. for a concert.

u2tours.com has a rumor that U2 were trying to play Wallace Stadium in Durham, NC (near Raleigh). I researched this stadium, and it's capacity seems to be around 33,000 for football games. However, between U2's schedule and that of Duke University football, they could not find a date that worked.

What's interesting about this is 2 things:

1. It shows U2 are looking into smaller stadiums for smaller metropolitan areas

2. This particular stadium is a horseshoe shape, with no seats on one side. Perfect for an endstage concert, but possibly awkward if U2 are planning on doing an "in-the-round" show.

I wonder if they'd make it to Columbus this tour then and perform in the OSU 'Shoe. :love:

In Philly we have the Eagles stadium which is Lincoln Financial Field and a lot of satdium concerts happen at Citizen's Bank Park which is where the Phillies play. I saw them at Franklin Field on Popmart which is the UPenn stadium. I only think they played there because the Phillies had a home game that day. It was a Sunday if I remember correctly

If they're doing this revolutionary kind of thing, I'm assuming it'll be at the Linc. CBP is very, very picky about concerts there, and allow the bands very limited area to set up (must be in center field). Which I don't think would work for this kind of show.

I hope they don't play Fenway Park(usually, they do one or two)concert per summer. I'll NEVER be able to afford tickets. And GA lining up would be a nightmare on Yawkey Way. :crazy:

Lila, I can put you on my shoulders....but then you'll be like 15 feet high.

Yay! :cheer:

BimM - I'll make sure to report in on the fire hazard :giggle:

Hey crapstable, do you think U2 will play in-the-round reserved-seating shows in US arenas starting in April, or what?

:lol:

We were at Dodger Stadium too for ZooTV. Basically the last row on the field, so we just stood in back of all the seats. Guess it was alright. I don't like stadiums because you are just too far from the stage and too spread out. We saw The Police there on the last tour. Twas alright, but this is U2! I think the last stadium show prior to The Police I saw in L.A. was probably the Stones or The Who back in the 80s. I think I swore off stadiums after that. But I was happy to go to Hawaii and see the last show of the tour and meet interferencers and hang out. Even two good friends of mine flew in for the weekend with us (and we stayed with them). I guess we shall see what happens :fingerscrossed:

I would have seen The Police at Staples Center had they announced that date prior to Dodger Stadium :angry:

If they're doing this revolutionary kind of thing, I'm assuming it'll be at the Linc. CBP is very, very picky about concerts there, and allow the bands very limited area to set up (must be in center field). Which I don't think would work for this kind of show.

That's what I am thinking too

the ga for the stadiums will be much better if it really is an in the round setup. you don't really get crushed, because there is no one direct front of the stage. i would much prefer the arenas, but the round set up could make stadiums much better.

In a perfect world they'd be playing a 12 night series of shows on my fucking balcony.
Sorry, they're already booked to play my living room, but I suppose I'll let you in. They are going to be playing ASOH 5 times after all..

That is so disappointing, I was really hoping for an arena tour again. Stadium shows are just so big...and the idea of having a whole stadium full of people on my back rather than just an arena is worrisome. I did Hawaii, but the GA looked like too much to handle for me.
Hawaii wasn't bad at all. For all the hassle involved, the lineup was part of fun/memories for me. I'd absolutely do it all over again, especially considering the payoff - rail spot at one of the b-stages :hyper: Not to mention the people you meet and the stories you get to tell. If you put the time in, you'll get a decent spot near the stage, and then you don't even notice what's going on behind you. The ellipse is also seperated from the rest of GA, so it's not like you have 50,000 people breathing down your neck.

Really though, just being there is so amazing. I hope that if you don't get close that you won't let that put a damper on the experience. I've already heard of people who skipped going to shows (not just U2) because their seats were bad. Isn't a "bad" seat better than no seat???? :doh:
Amen! We were way at the back in GA for the Montreal show, but it was still an amazing, memorable night.

Back
Top Bottom