Rolling Stone: U2 to play stadiums in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if they really play stadiums in the US in the summer, then they will probably go to Europe for a second leg and then come back like they usually do? Maybe the second US leg will be arenas. Would be cool to get to see both. :hmm:

So the whole "tour starts in Spain in June" was BS?

No, it's pretty clear it's starting in Europe, but the US leg could start before the end of what you folks consider summer.

If its outdoors and it rains??:sad:

You'll get wet.... as simple as that...
Not wanting to be an ass, but it's got something. I was at the ZOOROPA '93 premiere in Rotterdam and the moment McPhisto got on stage we had roaring thunder and torrential rain...... I was soaking wet, but it added to the experience......:applaud:

Yeah I am not a fan of stadiums. I remember when I saw them on the JT tour it was at a stadium. We waited alllll day in line and ended up getting really smashed in GA even before U2 came on and had to move far back just to breathe. It can be really dangerous, especially in a huge stadium like that. I distinctly remember a girl being carried away on a stretcher. :sigh: Guess I will be getting seats.

I remember those times - but that has all pased a long time ago. I think it was when Pearl Jam played Roskilde - must be end ot the 90s or something like that (some people died). Afterwards - (I went very often to stadiums shows from all different kind of bands) everything had changed. Now there are - (I only know the german word) "Wellenbrecher" - which means different sections in the stadium - so nobody can be cruched.
Really looking forward to see the pictures of U2 playing stadiums in the US... :drool:

Come on, come on. This discussion is so boring.

1 We know for sure for quite a long time now that the new tour will be STADIUMS only!!!!

2 The stage won't be in the middle!

3 Of course a a U2 stadium show has GA standing on the floor! This is nothing special, this is not dangerous at all!

4 We know for quite a long time that the tour will kick off the end of June in Barcelona / Spain, probably 06/27 or 06/29!!!

So please get back to a serious discussion.

Hey crapstable, do you think U2 will play in-the-round reserved-seating shows in US arenas starting in April, or what?

If U2 announced an Arena Tour of Europe, I'd probably act like everybody in this thread. Seeing as I like to actually...get to see the band live

Definitely not digging stadiums. I really hope they do a US Arena tour too. If not, looks like I'm going to be going out to NY, NJ, MA and (possibly) PA this time.

Oh bitch bitch bitch

Just be grateful you get to see U2 live at all :angry:

:applaud: :up:

Gotta love those emoticons. You beat me to saying exactly what I wanted to say. All I could add would be that surely being in the worst seat in the arena / stadium is better than not being there at all? You still get to see the band. And another thing, look on the back of any old concert tickets you might have - if it's for an outdoor show, it'll probably say something like 'Show happens rain or shine'. If the band are prepared to play in the rain, then the fans should be prepared to see them in the rain. Nobody can control the weather, and tour schedules being what they are, I think it would have to be an exceptional climate event that would force a concert cancellation. Anyone who went to the first Dublin show in 2005 will remember that it rained all day and during the concert, but it was still a great event nonetheless.

You'll get wet.... as simple as that...
Not wanting to be an ass, but it's got something. I was at the ZOOROPA '93 premiere in Rotterdam and the moment McPhisto got on stage we had roaring thunder and torrential rain...... I was soaking wet, but it added to the experience......:applaud:

Actually the thunder and rain does sound kinda cool:cute:

I wonder how they are going to sell ALL those tickets. In any given stadium concert, most bands have something behind them (screens/sound system/PA/Lighting rigs etc) that prevent them from selling seats behind the stage. So really, they are only selling about 2/3-3/4 of the potential tickets. Most US stadium shows attendances cap off in the 40-50 thousand range. Now with these other tickets, it's more likely to be around 70,000 per show. Don't know if they can do that for the ENTIRE tour. Sure a few shows in NY, Chicago, LA, Toronto and Boston could be done, but nowhere else.

Whats wrong with getting reserved seating that is eye level to the stage? I know GA is fun and all but you can still have a great concert experience with side seats that are eye level with the band.

And I know many of you are talking about stadium shows back in the JT, Zoo, & even Popmart days but have any you been to these new state of art NFL stadiums? There practically over size arenas. Take a look at them:

Dallas Cowboys New Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reliant Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of Phoenix Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There has been nearly 30 new NFL & MLB stadiums opened since Popmart.

Yikes...my reaction to a stadium show really makes me feel my age! :| Although, U2 is the only band I would consider stadium for. :heart: Think I may have to get the relatives RV cleaned up and ready to head over the mountains to the Gorge in George!:applaud:

This does mean that more tickets will be available, am I right? So that's a good thing, at least. More U2 for everybody!!!

I figure I will just go to one show, and my main goal is to be there. I don't need to be super close, I just want to be there, I want to be a part of it. That's all I ask. So, the more chances for that to happen, the better. I mean, yeah, being close is nice...but the important thing is to just be there.

I figure I will just go to one show, and my main goal is to be there. I don't need to be super close, I just want to be there, I want to be a part of it. That's all I ask. So, the more chances for that to happen, the better. I mean, yeah, being close is nice...but the important thing is to just be there.

Yeah that is very true:wave:
But i'm a little disappointed cuz this is gonna be my first U2 show and I wanted it to be an arena show so I can at least have a chance of being close to the stage:huh:

Yeah that is very true:wave:
But i'm a little disappointed cuz this is gonna be my first U2 show and I wanted it to be an arena show so I can at least have a chance of being close to the stage:huh:

:hug:

My first U2 show was at a stadium. My little 15 year old self was just so ecstatic to be in the same place as the band that it didn't really matter where we were. :lol: We were down on the floor and not close to the main stage, but we weren't terribly far from the b-stage.

Really though, just being there is so amazing. I hope that if you don't get close that you won't let that put a damper on the experience. I've already heard of people who skipped going to shows (not just U2) because their seats were bad. Isn't a "bad" seat better than no seat???? :doh:

My guess is that it'll a much shorter tour than the last two. It probably does still start in Spain at the end of the June and that leg will run to, say, mid-to-late August. The band takes two/three weeks off and then starts playing stadiums in the US in September. As long as they front-load the schedule with cold-weather cities, they could do it.

There are already rumors that the Chicago and Boston stops, for example, will be in mid-September. Other northern cities with outdoor stadiums (NYC, Philly, maybe Washington, maybe Pittsburgh or Cleveland) will have to get played in the first few weeks of the tour. When the nights start to get colder in October, the band will need to head south and west or to cold-weather cities (like say, Detroit or Toronto) that have domes.

Because they're playing stadiums, I think there will be far fewer dates this go around, at least for now. I think an interesting question is whether U2 thinks it can sell 50,000 - 60,000 tickets in cities that, during Elevation and Vertigo, only got one or two arena shows (meaning they sold somewhere between 15,000 - 35,000 seats) . For example, can they really fill a stadium in Indianapolis right now in this economy?

I guess it depends what they're trying do on this tour. They really could just play the stadiums in the major cities (hasn't there been chatter that U2 didn't want to be on the road as much this time around?) or, if they are trying to get to as many cities as possible, it could mean the band will make another swing in 2010, maybe in an arena format designed to hit these secondary markets (with a few additional NYC/Boston/Chicago dates thrown in, no doubt).

:hug:

My first U2 show was at a stadium. My little 15 year old self was just so ecstatic to be in the same place as the band that it didn't really matter where we were. :lol: We were down on the floor and not close to the main stage, but we weren't terribly far from the b-stage.

Really though, just being there is so amazing. I hope that if you don't get close that you won't let that put a damper on the experience. I've already heard of people who skipped going to shows (not just U2) because their seats were bad. Isn't a "bad" seat better than no seat???? :doh:

Oh I totally agree with you:hug:
I'm just gonna be super excited to be there no matter where my seats happen to be:hyper:
I've never been to a stadium show for any concert so I'm not quite sure how the stadium experience is.

My worst concert experience and funniest was the Rolling Stones at Reliant in 2003 or 02. It was in freezing early Feb. & we had seats on the upper level facing the stage.....2nd to last row. The lights went off, Brown Sugar opened, & Mick was in a gold jacket. It looked like a shiny penny dancing/singing :lol:

And I know many of you are talking about stadium shows back in the JT, Zoo, & even Popmart days but have any you been to these new state of art NFL stadiums? There practically over size arenas. Take a look at them:

Dallas Cowboys New Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reliant Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of Phoenix Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There has been nearly 30 new NFL & MLB stadiums opened since Popmart.

That's not a good thing. Generally speaking, the seating in most of the newer venues is farther from the field in order to accommodate corporate suites. The new Cowboys stadium has the equivalent of FIVE levels of suites, whereas the old stadium only had two. I wouldn't even bother going to the show if you had tickets in the upper deck at the new Cowboys stadium.

I'm going to have to be selective about where I see a show due to the large disparity in venues. I hope they play Vegas because every seat there is pretty close to the field. The Rose Bowl wouldn't be horrible, but I'm sure the seats close to the field will be pretty pricey.

Back
Top Bottom