Performing full album sequences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one really suggested doing it without rehearsal.

That would be the worse U2 concert ever.

Not necessarily.

One of my favorite bands (Old 97's) are known for never rehearsing at all and they still do great shows.

Oh yeah... I do agree with an earlier post in the thread saying this is a bit of a trend. Japanese metal band Dir en grey has done it before. The tours for their albums "Vulgar" and "Withering to death" included the entirety of the respective albums at each show, and they did a special one-off performance of their latest album "Uroboros" at Osaka last December. That show ended up having a rather epic setlist of 26 songs, with a couple rarities included...

Primus did this about 6 years ago. No opener, played set 1, just a mix of whatever the felt like for 90 mins. They then took a 15 minute intermission, came back and played Seas of Cheese in its entirety (Frizzle Fry on the next tour.) Then encore of 1 or 2 songs. The whole thing was a little over 3 hours. As a huge Primus fan, it was the best idea of a concert that I have seen. It was just about perfect.

I would love to see U2 do that exact same thing, play 2 nights each city with JT the first night, and AB the 2nd.

I would be happy with the greatest hits 1990-2000 album plus the b side or the 1980-1990 album

That would be a great show IMO :applaud:

If U2 played all of TJT live in one show that I was at, I would walk up and leave. Actually, I'd probably be tempted to go even if they played AB or NLOTH, my two favorite albums.

U2 live shows are about discovering new creative nuances of their songs, and weaving them together. Ultraviolet and TUF are really amazing examples of that on this tour.

no on ever said they'd be performed exactly as they're done on the album...i saw springsteen do born to run wednesday night. he did the live arrangements of all the songs.

i'd also like to add that while i loved it, and loved getting to see two things that i've never seen live before and always wanted to... thunder road and meeting across the river into jungleland... i would have loved it even more if he didn't announce that he was doing it and just did it as a surprise.

I saw The Who do Tommy complete back in the day in Los Angeles at Universal Amp. (The same show as released on DVD)

Steely Dan just did a run in NYC where they played different albums each night.

Backstreets.com: 2009 Setlists

Seems like the boss has no trouble playing albums in full especially in his house. over 3 hour concert......
Don't think he is worried about how many people are in the house but that they get their $$ worth.....

:applaud:

I would kill to see Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby played in its entirety. Any other album, not so much.

Wow -- what a weird reaction. I think it would be amazing if they did it, but they never would. JT or AB would both be amazing.

Maybe it's because I'm 31 and old enough to remember listening to albums, which I admit, due to my iPod, I barely do anymore. It's a lost art.

I can't believe die hards wouldn't want to see that... I don't get it.

You realize that means they would play songs we always want them to play, but never do...

It would be the best thing ever for a U2 fan in my eyes. At least I'd love it.

Well I think we all know U2 wouldn't do Pop...they have enough problems playing ONE song from that album let alone the whole thing

We should not be talking about this in hypothetical terms. U2 has already decided on playing full album sequences:

All of ATYCLB is played every single night on this tour, and for no explainable reason at all! (>>Correction>> It just feels like all of it, might as well be.)

There is no reason that a 10 yr old album that was supported by a VERY low key arena tour with Bono's voice consistently off should be taking up this amount of spots in the setlist of a massive stadium tour with the biggest stage ever assembled supporting an album that is completely different sonically, lyrically and in overall mood. This is becoming my only gripe with the 360 setlist.

Its not just personal taste, either, many who have gone to shows have commented on the awkwardness of so many slower/mid tempo ATYCLB songs in the setlist. It just does not fit the claw. Wire, Exit, full band Desire, Even Better..., full band Stay, Dirty Day, HMTMKMKM, Zooropa, Lemon, The Fly, Discoteque, MOFO and Last Night on Earth would fit the claw perfectly.

Songs like 2 Hearts Beat as One, Trip through your Wire, In God's Country, Running to Standstill, Love Rescue Me, Hawkmoon, Love is Blindness and Wild Horses would provide a welcome change to the barrage of ATYCLB songs we are getting on a nightly basis. Not that ATYCLB isn't good, but these are simply better. The live history has proven as much. And U2 should never forget that the OCCASIONAL Out of Control and I Will Follow is still very welcome.

ATYCLB was well received granted, but it has not aged well among the fan base and I don't know of anyone, fan or one of the band members who would argue for it over War, UF, JT or AB, all albums that have been almost neglected when compared with ATYCLB. Bomb is in my opinion much better(its not JT, AB or NLOTH of course) and more recent, and it gets COBL and Vertigo only. This just baffles me.

I do not have the same opinion as the majority of this forum on Atty club. I think its a great album, and moreover, its the album U2 should have made at that time. We have been through its shortcomings so many times, I won't go into it again. BD, Kite and Walk On are the highest of the high points on this album, and U2 is about done with Kite as far as I can tell. So there you have it... on 360, you play BD because of its greatest hit status, Walk On because its part of the message this tour(and rightfully so, IMHO) and it is equal to its 2000's counterpart, Bomb in terms of # of songs played. That is all 360 needs to hear from this album.

It is becoming such a common thread, people did not come to a U2 show in a stadium to be slowly put to sleep by too many ATYCLB songs. I like so much about this tour, UF, UV, the stage, Bono's voice, but Vertigo really walks all over it in terms of a rock and roll gig.

Wow -- what a weird reaction. I think it would be amazing if they did it, but they never would. JT or AB would both be amazing.

Maybe it's because I'm 31 and old enough to remember listening to albums, which I admit, due to my iPod, I barely do anymore. It's a lost art.

I can't believe die hards wouldn't want to see that... I don't get it.

You realize that means they would play songs we always want them to play, but never do...

It would be the best thing ever for a U2 fan in my eyes. At least I'd love it.

My favorite U2 setlists are setlists that can be considered new albums in their own right, instead of setlists that simply re-hash albums that I have sitting above my head in CD form and on my computer in MP3 form, or (even worse) setlists that just shuffle through random songs.

A good example of what I like about how U2 handles their setlists: getting Desire to fit perfectly into a setlist that expanded, thematically, around Achtung Baby and Zooropa, or Ultraviolet into the current set, as well as it fit into the Achtung Baby/Zooropa-based setlists of 1992 and 1993.

if u2 did this, is there an album that would make anyone walk out?

i'd be gone with atyclb and i've give up on hutdab (how sad that i had to look up the tracklisting) after city of blinding lights.

if u2 did this, is there an album that would make anyone walk out?

i'd be gone with atyclb and i've give up on hutdab (how sad that i had to look up the tracklisting) after city of blinding lights.

The only reason I'd hang around for ATYCLB would be When I Look At The World.

There are definately some albums I would enjoy more than others, but it would have to take more than that to make me walk out...

if they could promise me full band the ground beneath her feet i'd make a point of going out the back and getting half-pissed until it was time.

That and WILATW and I'll time my arrival at the gig just after "where I grew up there weren't many trees" in Peace On Earth.

Back
Top Bottom