PAPERLESS TICKETS For 2009 Tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
For those of you who have been keeping up with how the concert industry has been slowly trying to combat scalpers (aka ticket resellers), there has been a development thanks to AC/DC and Ticketmaster.

Over the weekend, a Dallas show for AC/DC went on sale and the only way you could purchase your ticket is by means of paperless tickets. The entire building was sold this way. Through doing a paperless ticket, it means that there is nothing physically available for sites like StubHub or eBay (or anywhere/anyone else looking to resell the ticket). For example, if I bought 3 pairs of tickets, and walk in 3 times with 3 different people, I’d have to pay 100% for 3 tickets and can only resell 3 as opposed to up to 6 (if it was a show I wasn’t interested in going to.) Waste of money for the ticket reseller, not to mention a heck of a headache to manage. The reselling market dries up as a result.

According to an industry source, this is most likely the way U2 will go with their concert ticketing for next year. Also, the source said that Live Nation will partner with Ticketmaster for the ticketing: “U2 is the biggest client and they don’t want to risk something going wrong with their system while they are still working on it.”

Now, the only issue with a paperless system would be the amount of swapping that happens between fans from city to city, and even between General Admission and seats. I’ve been a part of multi-city General Admission trades and I know how helpful they can be. This will impact this type of fan-to-fan help…but I’d take this inconvenience over having to deal with the ticket resellers ANY day!

Paperless Tickets For 2009 Tour?

Basically, you bring your credit card to the venue and as you go through, you swipe your card and it lets your whole party through, but everyone has to go through at the same time one after the other. If you bought 4 tickets with the credit card, all 4 people must go through one after the other.

This should knock out the ticket resell market and make it easier for the fans. But, U2 may not sellout shows as fast as they did on the Vertigo tour.

I guess another problem would be fans who did not have a credit card, or could not use a credit card to purchase tickets. But the number of people just walking up to the ticket master booth and paying with cash these days must be very small.

Man, I like beating the scalpers, but at the same time...I like things like being able to buy a ticket to that Springsteen concert I went to in August from a member of a Springsteen fansite. You know?

Well, hopefully I'll be able to buy my tickets from Ticketmaster this time anyways being older and such.

From what I have seen, AC/DC just used the paperless system for fan club tickets and certain sections in the Arena in Dallas. I suspect U2 might do the same instead of doing the entire building. You also need to have a photo ID with you.

I looked on ticketsnow.com , and there was only 1 pair of 2 tickets being resold for the floor at the AC/DC show in Dallas which is nearly soldout now. So, looks like the system worked.

If U2 just do this for the Fan Club, things should run a lot smoother this time and everyone should get decent seats.

I hate this idea. Let's hope they don't go down this route. Scalpers are everywhere, not just big-name concerts, and it means people who rock in the remote hope of getting a ticket won't get one. Totally against it.

It sounds like a good idea, but the fact that you cant swap it with someone else troubles me.

If they made a method of "trading" availiable, where both parties contact the ticketmaster and arrange for a swap to a different credit card, i think this system could be way cool!

If they made a method of "trading" availiable, where both parties contact the ticketmaster and arrange for a swap to a different credit card, i think this system could be way cool!

Yeah, I would only support it if trades are enabled somehow. Otherwise, I hate this idea. It would especially screw over somebody if, a day or two out from the show, something happens and they can't go. With paper tickets, at least you can give it to a fan or a friend and they can go instead.

Honestly, people really only have themselves to blame for scalpers. If idiots and desperate fans weren't willing to pay over face value for scalped tickets, the scalpers would go out of business.

What about for people without credit cards? I mean I have one but if I didn't I'd be being told "Sorry we know you have the money to go but you can't because we don't accept cash anymore". It's a stupid system I think.

the fact that it stops trade or face-value resells by legitimate fans is a fatal flaw imo.
plus as someone rightly pointed out, if you buy 4 tickets and someone suddenly can't go you're screwed as you are if someone you're with is running late. the rest of you then have to wait for them to arrive which is just ridiculous.
Then there's younger people whose parents might be buying the tickets for them on their card - are they expected to attend every convert with their kids because they bought the ticket?

I agree that there should be some sort of process in which you can change the name or credit card on a ticket so that trades still continue. In fact I don't even see why the credit card is necessary - what's wrong with just a name and ID?
They could even put a limit on the trades, so you're only allowed to change 2 tickets per show or something, that way scalpers can't flog multiple tickets. So it limits the scalping possibilities without completely restricting the genuine concert goer.

And let's be honest, scalpers will probably find a way round this system as they have every other system prior to it, so to me the inconvenience to fans completely out weighs any potential benefits.

yeah, i find this option an interesting one but yes, there should most definitely be something that allows the buyer to trade with others. So hopefully, there will be some variation to this original concept. Time will tell.....until next year i guess.

Tell them to enter the 21st century. :shrug:

I never knew having a credit card was a qualification for entering the 21st century.

Some of us prefer to pay cash, you know. I probably use my credit card less than ten times a year.

I read that on atu2.com, and I don't like it. If we have an extra ticket and decide to swap with someone, it sounds it would be a pain in the butt.

I preface this with a big ol' "If this is true...".

While I appreciate that they're looking into alternate ticketing methods to try and avoid the scalping mess, I don't like the idea for the two reasons already mentioned above.

There should be a way for credit/debit card-less fans to get tickets, and if they don't have a way for fans to trade or sell at face value to other fans, it's a flat-out sucky plan.

I don't like this idea, come on, bring your ID and VISA with you.... WTF!

Then you'll have people collecting ID's and Visa's on the floor instead of selling tickets at the black market....

And why should I bring my ID? Anybody can go to a concert, what if I'm sick and can't go? Ticket is lost.... I hate this idea.

P.S. And I don't sell tickets at the black market....:wink:

GREAT IDEA!

If you want to "trade" you simply hook up with each other at the shows, and go in together. Not a big deal. If you could "Transfer/Trade" them other ways, that wouldn't eliminate the scalpers anyways then cause they would "trade" it to a buyer.

I'm sure 99% of the people that buy tickets get them with credit cards anyways...(unless it's day of show/box office kind of thing)

Give it a shot and see if it works! (I have proposed this idea, several times on this board when we talk about scalpers)

I'm sure 99% of the people that buy tickets get them with credit cards anyways...(unless it's day of show/box office kind of thing)

I hadn't thought of that. Folks in this thread who protested the idea of having to present the credit card at the show - how have you bought tickets before if you don't have one?

gold.jpg

I hadn't thought of that. Folks in this thread who protested the idea of having to present the credit card at the show - how have you bought tickets before if you don't have one?

I use my card, however I know that not everyone will always be able to get a credit card or a debit card that reads like a credit card. I'd imagine those would be some of the few people that buy in stores/box offices these days, or ask other people to buy for them who may not be in a position to show up at the venue.

If people want to buy show tickets for other people as gifts, are they now roped in to going to the show too even if they have no interest?

People are talking about such a small percentage of "users" gifts, people that don't have credit cards, etc...when you think about the % of tickets that flow through scalpers, I would GLADLY trade off the Gift/CC issues to eliminate the Scalper issue.

What about for people without credit cards? I mean I have one but if I didn't I'd be being told "Sorry we know you have the money to go but you can't because we don't accept cash anymore". It's a stupid system I think.

Not all the tickets are going to be paperless, only the fan club tickets probably.

the fact that it stops trade or face-value resells by legitimate fans is a fatal flaw imo.
plus as someone rightly pointed out, if you buy 4 tickets and someone suddenly can't go you're screwed as you are if someone you're with is running late. the rest of you then have to wait for them to arrive which is just ridiculous.
Then there's younger people whose parents might be buying the tickets for them on their card - are they expected to attend every convert with their kids because they bought the ticket?

I agree that there should be some sort of process in which you can change the name or credit card on a ticket so that trades still continue. In fact I don't even see why the credit card is necessary - what's wrong with just a name and ID?
They could even put a limit on the trades, so you're only allowed to change 2 tickets per show or something, that way scalpers can't flog multiple tickets. So it limits the scalping possibilities without completely restricting the genuine concert goer.

And let's be honest, scalpers will probably find a way round this system as they have every other system prior to it, so to me the inconvenience to fans completely out weighs any potential benefits.

I think they are just going to do this with the fan club tickets. Everyone will probably be limited to one purchase of two tickets. If your worried about buying paperless tickets for the reasons you stated, you can buy paper tickets like everyone else in the general on sale.

I preface this with a big ol' "If this is true...".

While I appreciate that they're looking into alternate ticketing methods to try and avoid the scalping mess, I don't like the idea for the two reasons already mentioned above.

There should be a way for credit/debit card-less fans to get tickets, and if they don't have a way for fans to trade or sell at face value to other fans, it's a flat-out sucky plan.

This is not going to involve the whole venue, only a small portion of it and probably just tickets sold through the fan club where you'll be limited to one purchase of two tickets anyways. If you don't have a credit card, or want to buy paper tickets, you'll be able to in the general sale.

Back
Top Bottom