NO Stadium show in Ireland 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe they'll play

Punchestown
Phoenix Park
Marlay Park

And still 2 open dates at Croke Park

There's a tonne of open air venues around Ireland they could still play

I agree -and although it will probably never happen - they could play Botanic Gardens in Belfast again (i believe the last time they played N.Ireland was the Popmart tour - excluding the Yes concert with Ash) or Ormeau Park (i think the Killers played there a while back for the Tennants Vital festival). Or they could play Derry, but again i think thats very highly unlikely .. one can dream though :D

I've been advocating this for years. I don't know about anybody else, but I go to concerts for music. I couldn't care less about the stage set-up. They could play on a bunch of cinderblocks for all I care.

Um, no, I go to a live show for BOTH, not only the music alone. I also like to have a great show. It doesn't need to be a technological overkill, but I like to see artists who have thought about a certain concept for their show. Of all the concerts I went to I always enjoyed those the most that had both, great music and an interesting stage set-up. I AM a visual person and if I only wanted music I could as well stay at home and listen to a cd.

Um, no, I go to a live show for BOTH, not only the music alone. I also like to have a great show. It doesn't need to be a technological overkill, but I like to see artists who have thought about a certain concept for their show. Of all the concerts I went to I always enjoyed those the most that had both, great music and an interesting stage set-up. I AM a visual person and if I only wanted music I could as well stay at home and listen to a cd.

Listening to a CD is nothing compared to the energy, atmosphere, and spontaneity of a band playing live, though. You can't get that by sitting at home listening to a CD, and allowing the visuals to take away some of the dynamics of a rock gig just weakens the appeal. If I want to see fancy lights, I'll go watch a fireworks display or something.

Almost all of the best gigs I've ever seen have been just a band on a stage in a club or theatre - lighting and visuals have just accompanied the mood of the song rather than being attention-grabbing and impressive. In those shows, the passion, energy, and intensity of the band has shone the most because there have been no needless over-the-top visual distractions.

Listening to a CD is nothing compared to the energy, atmosphere, and spontaneity of a band playing live, though. You can't get that by sitting at home listening to a CD, and allowing the visuals to take away some of the dynamics of a rock gig just weakens the appeal. If I want to see fancy lights, I'll go watch a fireworks display or something.

Almost all of the best gigs I've ever seen have been just a band on a stage in a club or theatre - lighting and visuals have just accompanied the mood of the song rather than being attention-grabbing and impressive. In those shows, the passion, energy, and intensity of the band has shone the most because there have been no needless over-the-top visual distractions.

:up::up:

^ I see your point. But if you don't want effect, U2 may be the wrong band for you. There is a certain amount of visual effects that I like and I think the last two tours were great in that sense, because the effects didn't distract from the music, instead they added to the music. The same cannot be said of U2's 90s tours.

Given - the music is more important than visuals and loud, gary effects can be distractions, but ZOOTV, loud gary distractions and all, kicked some major fucking ass. Its about the music, sure - but at a U2 concert, I think its also kind of about being blown away by the scale of the sound, the band, the music, the lights and the crowd.

I've seen amazing gigs in tiny theatres and clubs, and I've seen amazing gigs in telstra stadium. When it comes down to it, it really just depends on the band. And I agree - Its about being there, in the crowd, more than anything else.

:down::down:

I'd argue that the smaller the venue, the better the gig, for pretty much any band. I even shy away from arena gigs.

I would fucking love to see U2 in a truly small venue, like a small theatre that holds about 500 people. Obviously it's impossible to do now except as an album promo sort of appearance. The perils of following an excessively famous band ...

Agree! The best gigs I've seen were in smaller venues. Stadiums are often so horrible in sound quality. I remember U2 performing at Amsterdam Arena...although I had the feeling they were giving eveyrthing, there was an explosion of sound, but a delay of 5 seconds to the 2nd ring, and that echo! All the work for the Edge was done by the stadium...
When I go to a band like U2 I wanna have good sound quality, so I really hope they will do smaller venues...

Why not doig it like the Stones did some years ago. They performed in clubs, arenas and stadiums...

Agree again. Bruce Springsteen is the perfect example. No big decors and over the top lighting, just him and a band giving everything they have in them, that is what music is about.
And for me Radiohead is the perfect example of using lighting and visuals in a good accompanying way. What U2 used to do during Streets, that red light, is also a perfect example how lighting can add to the atmosphere of the song.

Axver, having seen arena shows in US and stadiums shows in New Zealand/Australia on this last tour, which did you enjoy more ?

Axver, having seen arena shows in US and stadiums shows in New Zealand/Australia on this last tour, which did you enjoy more ?

U2girl, if I may answer this on a personal note. I went to chicago (smaller venue) and amsterdam (stadium). the setlist of amsterdam 3 was amazing. for all 3 amsterdam shows we had standings, for chicago sittingplaces and that took away the magic a bit. I guess, chicago would have been the best if we would have been able to get GA. the big stadiums usely sound horrific unfortunately and you miss some intimacy

To contradict myself a bit. Slane 25/8/2001 will never EVER be topped!
what a day/night that was:drool:

I kinda agree with Axver but not completely but...tours like ZooTV and especially Popmart are something I really wouldn't of wanted to see live that much, the visuals started overshadowing the actual music, plus on Popmart Bono's voice wasn't too great either...

I prefer the tours of this decade, they're still visual but they don't overshadow the music any more, which is what I go to the shows for

I kinda agree with Axver but not completely but...tours like ZooTV and especially Popmart are something I really wouldn't of wanted to see live that much, the visuals started overshadowing the actual music, plus on Popmart Bono's voice wasn't too great either...

I prefer the tours of this decade, they're still visual but they don't overshadow the music any more, which is what I go to the shows for

Zoo TV was such a life experience!!! It was fantastic and the visuals also increased the atmosphere of each song even more than during Vertigo, a lot more I must say. It was simply the best show I've seen so far.

Id say if you'd experienced ZooTV or Popmart at their best you'd understand why so many people would like to see them doing something along similar lines again - U2 never let the visual effect overshadow the the music on these occasions- the visuals just made the overall experience even more mindblowing, something way beyond just a stadium gig. U2 proved that stadium rock could be about more than just "the music", I'd love to see them re-invent the genre all over again!

I've seen U2 seven times at Wembley and they've always been 10/10, wheras the gigs I saw them play at Earls Court were not so good, plus I've heard that the o2 is quite soulless.

But U2's sound guys helped develop the O2 for the acoustics?! :hmm:

My 2 pence worth - Inside, Twickers was a ferking nightmare once the planes started coming over :angry: On top of that, the sound bounced all round the stadium like a gun ricocheting (spelling??) everywhere. Hated it.

The best inside I ever saw them play was the Wembley Arena many many many moons ago :heart:

Last edited:
I've seen U2 seven times at Wembley and they've always been 10/10, wheras the gigs I saw them play at Earls Court were not so good, plus I've heard that the o2 is quite soulless.

mmm for an indoor arena venue the O2 is comfortably the best in the UK- way nicer than Earls Court, Wembley, NEC etc- have been to a few concerts there and there's been a great atmosphere- the sound is better than anywhere else and there are great views from almost every seat

we have to hope they play stadiums- if ticket demand is anything like last time they'd have to do 20 odd shows at the o20 and that's not going to happen

Hehe, well spotted. It's definitely a possibility! God, May seems very close...! It'd be the perfect time for outdoor gigs in Ireland - proper darkness for at least half the concert, the chance of good weather (May has ben the best month in ireland for the last few years). Plust the weekend of the 29th of May is a Bank holiday weekend (Monday 1st June being the bank holiday...). I can't really see them doing 4 Croker gigs though...

I just saw Kings of Leon at the O2 and the whole place is by far the best music venue in the country! The sound in the concert was just increadiable! Inside the seats are soo steep so everyone has a fantastic view i would just love to see U2 perform here!

I just saw Kings of Leon at the O2 and the whole place is by far the best music venue in the country! The sound in the concert was just increadiable! Inside the seats are soo steep so everyone has a fantastic view i would just love to see U2 perform here!

Kings of Leon are playing there in 3 days time...

^ That just means that they have a confirmed booking for that date but it the artist hasn't announced it to the public yet. The May "events" are much more vague probably because nothings set in stone yet.

Hi there looks like there won't be any Stadium show in Ireland during 2009 as Oasis will be headlining Slane and Take That have shows at Croke Park (they only allow 2 shows per year) Also with Landsdowne Road Stadium looking like a building site this means that there won't be any U2 Stadium show in Ireland during 2009. So this probably means that we are likely to see an arena tour with the O2 being the venue for U2 in Dublin which will be fantastic as i would prefer the smaller venue shows!

Probably no stadium show as they will be playing the O2 Point Depot.

Back
Top Bottom