Morrissey - a live nod to U2 at Glastonbury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so the fact that I am going to be proven correct in regards to my second question (both were pooled as ridiculous by a few folks) is SO FUCKING WHAT?

Third, it is accepted as being self-evident...

Exactly. So fucking what? It happens at EVERY FUCKING FESTIVAL EVER CREATED BY MAN.

OK, time for another lesson in reality.
Oh man, thank you SO much, I really, really needed one of those, been feeling a bit on the unreal side lately

2. You are (like many others did in asinine fashion) completely ignoring that I had a second question. Let's go ahead and call that "selective ignorance." The crux of my point for that question was already proved by an interview that was just released. How is my being proven to be accurate asinine?

Actually, no, I didn't ignore your second question. I just said, yes, I think it's likely Moz WILL acknowledge U2 at some point during the festival. That's what you DO at festivals to make small talk. Do I think he'll do it while he plays Satellite of Love? Uh...if he wants to insult Lou Reed, I suppose. Do I think his playing SOL has ANYTHING IN THE FUCKING WORLD to do with U2? No. Not one teeny tiny little bit.

So, in short, do you win a prize for surmising that Moz will mention U2? Hell no. You aren't exactly making bold claims, nor are they significant claims. It happens. Big deal.

My major issue is that you really seem to have started a thread because Moz played a song that you, for one reason or another, associate with U2 more than the original artist, and assumed that everyone in the world does the same. Including Morrissey, who, as you've already stated many times, isn't exactly naive to the world of music.

Do you think the earth is flat? Is it an asinine assertion to suggest that it might not be?

It's about as likely as Moz playing SOL in acknowledgement of U2 saying they might play more 90s stuff at Glasto.
3. Why in the world would I admit that I did not know SOL was a cover when I obviously and clearly did? I have known that since the ZOO TV days...

No clue, but you certainly didn't mention Grandpa Lou anywhere in the first post and you definitely made it look like you started the thread because you thought Moz covered U2.

Exactly. So fucking what? It happens at EVERY FUCKING FESTIVAL EVER CREATED BY MAN.

Oh man, thank you SO much, I really, really needed one of those, been feeling a bit on the unreal side lately

Actually, no, I didn't ignore your second question. I just said, yes, I think it's likely Moz WILL acknowledge U2 at some point during the festival. That's what you DO at festivals to make small talk. Do I think he'll do it while he plays Satellite of Love? Uh...if he wants to insult Lou Reed, I suppose. Do I think his playing SOL has ANYTHING IN THE FUCKING WORLD to do with U2? No. Not one teeny tiny little bit.

So, in short, do you win a prize for surmising that Moz will mention U2? Hell no. You aren't exactly making bold claims, nor are they significant claims. It happens. Big deal.

My major issue is that you really seem to have started a thread because Moz played a song that you, for one reason or another, associate with U2 more than the original artist, and assumed that everyone in the world does the same. Including Morrissey, who, as you've already stated many times, isn't exactly naive to the world of music.

It's about as likely as Moz playing SOL in acknowledgement of U2 saying they might play more 90s stuff at Glasto.

No clue, but you certainly didn't mention Grandpa Lou anywhere in the first post and you definitely made it look like you started the thread because you thought Moz covered U2.

Got it - you are one of the kids who cries all night.

Let me break it down again for ya:

1. I made a point earlier that those attacking me ignored that there was a second question...one that would be a little more difficult (even for those who have a hard time thinking outside the box) to ridicule.

2. I do think there is a chance that his playing SOL has to do with the fact that U2 covered it as well...and the 90's connection with the festival.

You don't. So what? I'm not going to ridicule you for not thinking there is a possible connection the same way I did not deserve to be ridiculed for thinking there could be.

3. At this point it is quite possible that more people associate that song with U2 than Lou Reed based on how many fans the band has (even if they know - like I do and did - that it is a cover.)

4. You assumed that I did not know it was a cover - my initial post did not suggest that at all....

5. I have already been proven accurate in my assertion that Moz is likely more informed about U2's involvement with the festival - as well as interested in what that might mean to others - than many here assumed....which was the crux of my thinking behind wondering if there was an SOL correction.

Funny how no one yet - even though there are so many supposed intelligent posters here - has at least acknowledged that my assertion has merit based on the evidence I posted.

I would challenge any one who disagrees to at least back up their claims with facts as to why Moz would have absolutely no idea that Adam mentioned that they would likely focus on some more 90's material at the festival.

Why is that so ridiculous? In a recent interview with A-Ha, Adam Clayton's comments about the band being misunderstood were well received as if they were already aware of his sentiments.

Why is it so absurd to think that band's are familiar with each other's comments in the media...especially when they are playing the same festival and are known to be intelligent people?

Once again, all truth passes through three stages.

Lou Reed - Satellite Of Love (3:38)
785,042 plays (205,179 listeners)

U2 - Satellite of Love (4:00)
44,122 plays (15,559 listeners)

Funny how no one yet - even though there are so many supposed intelligent posters here - has at least acknowledged that my assertion has merit based on the evidence I posted.

Because I don't believe your assertion has any merit.

Why play a cover of a cover? Why not...oh...I don't know...cover U2?

Lou Reed - Satellite Of Love (3:38)
785,042 plays (205,179 listeners)

U2 - Satellite of Love (4:00)
44,122 plays (15,559 listeners)

Thank you for at least posting something that looks factual and is useful!

Although a source would be nice, I concede that was probably insular thinking on my part to suggest that perhaps more people were familiar with U2's cover than Lou Reed's (let that be a lesson to the men here who cannot admit that they may have been mistaken...on how to do it.)

HOWEVER, I stand by everything else I have said and do think that Moz know's U2 has covered that song...and is familiar with Adam's comments in the media about playing 90's material at the festival...and could in fact be playing in, in part, based on that connection.

redhill said:
1. I made a point earlier that those attacking me ignored that there was a second question...one that would be a little more difficult (even for those who have a hard time thinking outside the box) to ridicule.

True, but you didn't exactly sweeten the pot for us on that second option.

1. The apocalypse will occur February 32, 1972.

2. The sky is blue.

Yeah, the first assertion is more absurd and easily refuted. You're in a tank full of ignorant sharks; what else do you expect?

Thank you for at least posting something that looks factual and is useful!

Although a source would be nice, I concede that was probably insular thinking on my part to suggest that perhaps more people were familiar with U2's cover than Lou Reed's (let that be a lesson to the lesser men here who cannot admit that they may have been mistaken.)

HOWEVER, I stand by everything else I have said and do think that Moz know's U2 has covered that song...and is familiar with Adam's comments in the media about playing 90's material at the festival...and could in fact be playing in, in part, based on that connection.

I apologize, I always assume everyone on Interference is one of the 40 million last.fm users out there.

Huh? I never said he was covering U2's cover.... where did you get that from?

Or did you forget to post your source again?

You suggested that the cover was a nod to U2. But why be so vague to the point that U2 wouldn't even realize it was a nod. They, like most people, would probably think (if they even paid attention to a one-off Morrissey gig) it was in homage to Lou fucking Reed.

Now, should I cite all of my posts, or can I just leave the ones with just opinion as is?

SOL.png

The name of a space station on a cult 90s television show pops up before U2 does.

Source: Google.

True, but you didn't exactly sweeten the pot for us on that second option.

1. The apocalypse will occur February 32, 1972.

2. The sky is blue.

Yeah, the first assertion is more absurd and easily refuted. You're in a tank full of ignorant sharks; what else do you expect?

I appreciate the sentiments and the humor but I still don't see why my first assertion is so absurd when you consider that it is likely - not unlikely - that Morrissey is well aware that U2 has covered SOL and of Adam's comment in the media about them playing 90's material at the festival.

I apologize, I always assume everyone on Interference is one of the 40 million last.fm users out there.

You suggested that the cover was a nod to U2. But why be so vague to the point that U2 wouldn't even realize it was a nod. They, like most people, would probably think (if they even paid attention to a one-off Morrissey gig) it was in homage to Lou fucking Reed.

Now, should I cite all of my posts, or can I just leave the ones with just opinion as is?

1. I think it is advisable to cite your sources along with the information.

2. I imagine it is primarily an homage to "Lou fucking Reed." Are you saying that all artists are that devoid of depth that they can't have more than one purpose for choosing to add a cover into their setlist?

3. It was not a "one-off" gig. It is a tour with many dates and he has now played it at the both of the first two gigs.

I appreciate your effort in securing some supporting information for your comments but it is probably wise to check it for accuracy before citing it as factual.

1. I think it is advisable to cite your sources along with the information.

2. I imagine it is primarily an homage to "Lou fucking Reed." Are you saying that all artists are that devoid of depth that they can't have more than one purpose for choosing to add a cover into their setlist?

3. It was not a "one-off" gig. It is a tour with many dates and he has now played it at the both of the first two gigs.

I appreciate your effort in securing some support for your comment but it is probably wise to check them for accuracy before citing them as factual.

1. I graduated from college over a year ago, I'm done with that shit.

2. No, I'm saying that you are giving Morrissey obsessed-fan levels of credit here. I haven't even read that interview with Adam, and I actually LIKE U2. I vaguely am aware of its existence because I frequent this forum on a fairly regular basis.

3. My mistake. It's still not even really that close in proximity to the actual Glastonbury festival is more my point. If it were a day or two before, *maybe* I'd begin to lend your theory some credence.

I think it's cute that you think that I'm actually going out and looking for sources to "back up" my claims. I took about two seconds on Last.fm to search out two different versions of a song and I typed SOL's name into Google. Give me a medal.

I appreciate the sentiments and the humor but I still don't see why my first assertion is so absurd when you consider that it is likely - not unlikely - that Morrissey is well aware that U2 has covered SOL and of Adam's comment in the media about them playing 90's material at the festival.

So why not cover a 90s U2 song that would make it a clear aknowledgement? That would make sense, something that is clearly lacking in your original query.

1. I graduated from college over a year ago, I'm done with that shit.

I kinda figured that.

One should never be done learning and lending credence to your claims with supporting evidence is not something you might want to consider as something you have "graduated from."

BoMac said:
So why not cover a 90s U2 song that would make it a clear aknowledgement? That would make sense, something that is clearly lacking in your original query.

Because, Bomac, Morrissey is setting up the fucking U2 DaVinci Code over here. The clues will lead up to a surprise debut of Acrobat at Glasto, with surprise guests, you guessed it, Lou Reed and Morrissey.

I would love to hear Moz cover U2 but not sure it would ever happen. I can't think of him ever covering a song by a band that currently commands so much media attention.

Why did my original query not make sense to you? Are you assuming that Morrissey is ignorant of any/all media surrounding an acclaimed festival he is about to be in...even the headliners?!

I find that to be ridiculous.

Just to put the incredulous responses in this thread into proper context...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f306/good-omen-for-setlist-shake-up-209939.html

Even the fanbase, the hardcore, the people who argue this shit at 1 AM can't come to a consensus on what their Glastonbury set will be. So let's think: what are the odds that Morrissey, a man who doesn't claim to be a U2 fan, let alone someone who keeps tabs on Adam's press interactions would give a shoutout to them in the form of a song they didn't even write, a solid month before the festival has even begun? Hell, if I were Morrissey, I would cover a song from Achtung, like maybe One. You know, it relates to the Achtung Baby anniversary in some way...people associate it with 90s U2...U2 in general...it's basically fool-proof. Satellite of Love, on the other hand, spawns threads like this. Who wants that controversy?

Are you assuming that Morrissey is ignorant of any/all media surrounding an acclaimed festival he is about to be in...even the headliners?!

You're assuming that Morrissey is so obsessed with his festival appearances that he scours every news source in the world (excluding Britain and Australia, fuck those countries) for bits of trivial information on what the headliners may or may not consider playing at the gig?

bono_212 said:
Because, Bomac, Morrissey is setting up the fucking U2 DaVinci Code over here. The clues will lead up to a surprise debut of Acrobat at Glasto, with surprise guests, you guessed it, Lou Reed and Morrissey.

If Tom Hanks covers Satellite of Love on stage with U2 to honor Dan Brown, I will swear off "British" spellings for good.

Just to put the incredulous responses in this thread into proper context...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f306/good-omen-for-setlist-shake-up-209939.html

Even the fanbase, the hardcore, the people who argue this shit at 1 AM can't come to a consensus on what their Glastonbury set will be. So let's think: what are the odds that Morrissey, a man who doesn't claim to be a U2 fan, let alone someone who keeps tabs on Adam's press interactions would give a shoutout to them in the form of a song they didn't even write, a solid month before the festival has even begun? Hell, if I were Morrissey, I would cover a song from Achtung, like maybe One. You know, it relates to the Achtung Baby anniversary in some way...people associate it with 90s U2...U2 in general...it's basically fool-proof. Satellite of Love, on the other hand, spawns threads like this. Who wants that controversy?

So how do you know what you might do if you were Morrissey?!

:lol:

It does not sound like you are a fan because he does not often go the "obvious" route which in an of itself has turned into "obvious" for him.

Since you can step into his shoes so easily, why do you think he would not be aware of the media reports related to the headliner of the festival?

You are talking about a man who has the power to ban vendors from selling meat at many of his shows...and then saying he is unaware of the press related to the headliner of one of the most highly viewed festivals he will ever play?

Those are two ridiculous assertions IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom